• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

captmcblack said:
I think it's the "divorcing his dying wife who he previously used to substantiate his failure as a pitcher" that makes him a toolbag, not so much the concept of divorce itself.

Also, he has a doucheface. Look at his doucheface! Somebody post one of the 90 Lackey "fuck!" GIFs. C'mon, son.
So insanely hot cancer stricken wife sucks off twelve men. You can divorce her man, she has cancer. Don't see the logic. Neither do you guys apparently.

I'm not denying he is a toolbag. Also, his brother plays first base for you.

eznark

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
So insanely hot cancer stricken wife sucks off twelve men. You can divorce her man, she has cancer. Don't see the logic. Neither do you guys apparently.

I missed that part of the story. Divorce away, Lackey.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:

Uh wasn't he talking about A-Rod? Otherwise I missed the part about Lackey's wife cheating it up.

There's really nothing to say about Lackey and his private matters. I wouldn't wish divorce upon anybody. It doesn't make him any more or any less of a douche.

Sanjuro

eznark said:
Well that is the point I'm trying to make. There is no that part of the story.

p3Y4b.jpg

Either way, if I looked like John Lackey I wouldn't care.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Uh wasn't he talking about A-Rod? Otherwise I missed the part about Lackey's wife cheating it up.

There's really nothing to say about Lackey and his private matters. I wouldn't wish divorce upon anybody. It doesn't make him any more or any less of a douche.

I have no idea. Since he was defending Lackey I assumed that he was talking about Lackey's wife. ARod's wife blew 12 dudes?

I'm so confused.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

onqev.gif

"Hey Lackey!"

1zkGK.gif

"How's your wife? ;)"

LACKEYGD.gif

Meier

holy shit at this set of stats...

Kenley Jansen relieved Kershaw, and just as he did against the Giants on Tuesday, he struck out both batters he faced. That put Jansen at 16.10 strikeouts per nine innings this season, making him at this point the all-time single-season record holder in that category with three games remaining in 2011. Jansen has struck out 31 of his past 49 batters, including 31 of his past 37 outs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so i was looking at NL pitchers some more, i might actually have to go with Cliff Lee for Cy Young. Lower SIERA etc...

He does still have one more start though, the braves will destroy him.

Meier

CajoleJuice said:
I really thought he'd become the Dodgers' closer this season. Maybe I only have to wait until next year in my dynasty league...
I think everyone did, especially when Brox blew up. He had a couple awful outings in April which set him back and he was out for a few weeks a couple times. Guerra has done a great job so there really wasn't any reason to remove him from the role.

It's too bad about Kuo.. when he was healthy the past few years, dude was just absolutely filthy. I can't imagine having Kuo, Jensen and Guerra to finish games every night.. wouldn't have even been fair.

Meier

Windu said:
so i was looking at NL pitchers some more, i might actually have to go with Cliff Lee for Cy Young. Lower SIERA etc..
Lulz. I'm sure this is where some Saber worshiper tells me that W-L doesn't matter and that a possibly 17-8 or 16-9 pitcher with inferior stats on the best team in the league is better than a 21-5 guy on a team who was among the worst for much of the year.

Windu

Meier said:
Lulz. I'm sure this is where some Saber worshiper tells me that W-L doesn't matter and that a possibly 17-8 or 16-9 pitcher with inferior stats on the best team in the league is better than a 21-5 guy on a team who was among the worst for much of the year.
you forgot to point out that both the phillies and dodgers have similar offenses (with the dodgers having the best position player in the NL btw) and the dodgers having the better bullpen. (defense of course is harder to judge but they seem about equal) Anyway, your argument about being on the worse team is dumb, just like using wins to evaluate someone's performance.

Windu said:
so i was looking at NL pitchers some more, i might actually have to go with Cliff Lee for Cy Young. Lower SIERA etc...

Lee's got a 5.45 ERA in Turner Field. He always sucks there for whatever reason.

It's time for us to feel better about the Cardinals playing the Astros with STATS!

-- Wandy Rodriguez is 3-0 with a 1.69 ERA in September with a 19:3 K:BB ratio.
-- Henry Sosa has allowed three or fewer runs in 5 of his last 6 starts
-- Brett Myers is 4-0 with a 1.41 ERA in his last 6 starts with a 31:6 K:BB ratio. The Astros are 5-0 in Myers' last 5 starts. Opponents only hitting .180 in that stretch.
-- The Cardinals only scored 6 runs during the entire Cubs series and were outscored 8-6. Two runs were gifts from Carlos Marmol, two more runs were scored on sacrifice plays by their pitchers, the other two were solo home runs (Molina and Furcal).
-- LaRussa has used Jason Motte the last two games, so he'd likely be shitty tonight if he used him again. Motte's pitched in 11 of the last 17 games.

ALSO! Jaime Garcia's career numbers against the Astros: 0-3, 5.91 ERA. Opponents hitting .341. This year, he's 0-2 with a 5.51 ERA. Opponents hitting .318.

eznark

Banned
Meier said:

Is some "saber worshiper" really going to pick a guy with inferior stats? Your anger at math has morphed into incoherent babbling.

The more likely scenario is a guy with superior stats on a shitty team going 16-9 and losing out to a guy with 21 wins but inferior stats.

Puddles

Banned
Windu said:

Fuck Cliff Lee.

Puddles

Banned
eznark said:
It's going to be hilarious when Roy Halladay/Cliff Lee and Ryan Braun blank the Dodgers.

It's not really about the awards. My disdain for him is more about the fact that Lee is the Lebron James of baseball.

eznark

Banned
Puddles said:
It's not really about the awards. My disdain for him is more about the fact that Lee is the Lebron James of baseball.

As a Dodger fan I am surprised you don't realize Kirk Gibson is the original LeBron James. (His '88 MVP award is also way more hilariously undeserved than the one Braun is going to get)

Meier

eznark said:
As a Dodger fan I am surprised you don't realize Kirk Gibson is the original LeBron James. (His '88 MVP award is also way more hilariously undeserved than the one Braun is going to get)
Kirk won a 'ship. He can't be the original LeBron.

eznark said:
Is some "saber worshiper" really going to pick a guy with inferior stats? Your anger at math has morphed into incoherent babbling.

The more likely scenario is a guy with superior stats on a shitty team going 16-9 and losing out to a guy with 21 wins but inferior stats.
Oh I know what's more likely. I'm saying people who place absolute faith in Sabermetrics and think it's the end all/be all to baseball would probably say the inverse was true if their formulas supported it.

Braves lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Freeman - 1B
6. McCann - C
7. Diaz - RF
8. Gonzalez - SS
9. Delgado - P

Phillies lineup:

1. Rollins - SS
2. Utley - 2B
3. Pence - RF
4. Howard - 1B
5. Victorino - CF
6. Ibanez - LF
7. Polanco - 3B
8. Ruiz - C
9. Lee - P

Looks like Cholly isn't going to play ball and is using all his starters. BLEH ON YOU.

eznark

Banned
Meier said:

LeBron retired?

Oh I know what's more likely. I'm saying people who place absolute faith in Sabermetrics and think it's the end all/be all to baseball would probably say the inverse was true if their formulas supported it.

If their formulas supported it he wouldn't have inferior stats.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
Braves lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Freeman - 1B
6. McCann - C
7. Diaz - RF
8. Gonzalez - SS
9. Delgado - P

Looks like Cholly isn't going to play ball and is using all his starters. BLEH ON YOU.
terrible lineup, as usual
Meier said:

so you hate sabermetrics and yet you use stats to say kershaw is the better player?

Windu

darkside31337 said:
Well yes, terrible lineups are generally composed of terrible players.
well yes, but you don't need to put prado in the 2 hole and leave heyward out of the lineup.

Puddles

Banned
The sabermetric stats all say different things.

WAR and FIP favor Halladay. xFIP favors Lee. ERA+ favors Kershaw.

In the absence of conclusive data, I say give the award to the Triple Crown winner who also leads the other contenders in WHIP.

Windu

Puddles said:
The sabermetric stats all say different things.

WAR and FIP favor Halladay. xFIP favors Lee. ERA+ favors Kershaw.

In the absence of conclusive data, I say give the award to the Triple Crown winner who also leads the other contenders in WHIP.
Halladay is actually the leader in ERA+ now by one point.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hey, a little off the current topic, but who does everyone think is going to win the Cy Young? Triple Crown?

My hopes are for Clayton Kershaw for the Cy Young and Matt Kemp for the Triple Crown. :)

Puddles

Banned
Matt Kemp won't win the batting title, but he has a good shot at finishing first or tied for first in HRs and first in RBIs. Looks like Braun is back in the lead in OPS, and I don't see Kemp overtaking him.

I don't think I can comment on the Cy Young race from an unbiased perspective.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Debating whether or not I should watch the Rays game tonight. But first I have to check if it's actually on TV.
You can always turn onto yes and listen to the great Michael Kay.

The Outsider said:
Debating whether to watch the Braves game. Likely to be pretty painful, so I'm not so sure if I want to torture myself.
Same, that said I would like my team to beat or tie the old best record, then again if they just do great in the playoffs, than I'm fine with that. It's funny how the best record in modern baseball belongs to the Seattle Mariners and they never even got to the World Series that year.

Is anybody else surprised that the Yanks mite win 100 games? I'm amazed, team doesn't seem as good as other teams but this team just knows hot to win. Facing the likes of the Royals or Seattle helps though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom