• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toth

Also, this game further cements Ellsbury as MVP. Granderson certainly did not help his case at all tonight in every at bat.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Toth said:
Also, this game further cements Ellsbury as MVP. Granderson certainly did not help his case at all tonight in every at bat.
yeah homering off scott proctor really cemented ellsbury as mvp, no one could have done that.

Windu

Toth said:
Winning a game your team has to win certainly sounds like MVP credentials.
sounds like being in the right place at the right time. MVP = Best Player which may or may not be Ellsbury but it should not be based on your fucking team.

jman2050

It's going to be funny when the Sox miss the playoffs anyway.

Toth said:

Who is Jose Bautista?

Windu

newjeruse said:
That the guy who's second in WAR?
by like .02 or something, they can't measure it that close. And of course you have to account for errors etc.. Anyway ellsbury seems to gain a lot from UZR and considering that it takes a 3 year sample to really get good info from that i wouldnt exactly trust his numbers. I'd probabky vote for Bautista at the moment.

Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 25

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 100% (clinched AL West title 9/23)
Red Sox -- 88.4% (lead AL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)
Rays    -- 11.5% (trail AL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)
Angels  -- 0.1% (trail AL Wild Card by 3.0; 3 games remaining)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Brewers      -- 100% (clinched NL Central title 9/23)
Diamondbacks -- 100% (clinched NL West title 9/23)
Braves       -- 63.4% (lead NL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 36.6% (trail NL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 25

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Red Sox -- 88.4% (lead AL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)
Rays    -- 11.5% (trail AL Wild Card by 1.0; 3 games remaining)

So weird how the Rays chances went up from yesterday yet it still feels like a crushing defeat. Scott Proctor makes even improved numbers look bad.

newjeruse

Windu said:
by like .02 or something, they can't measure it that close. And of course you have to account for errors etc.. Anyway ellsbury seems to gain a lot from UZR and considering that it takes a 3 year sample to really get good info from that i wouldnt exactly trust his numbers. I'd probabky vote for Bautista at the moment.
There are furniture stores without this many couches.

For those keeping score, if the Braves and Cardinals have to play a tiebreaker on 9/29 in St. Louis, the pitching matchup would be Brandon Beachy vs. Kyle Lohse.

rekameohs

Banned
If the Yanks lay low for all 3 against the Rays, which is certainly believable, the Red Sox would have to sweep Baltimore to win the wild card. 2 out of 3 would be the one game playoff in Tampa Bay. The collapse is still possible.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
rekameohs said:
If the Yanks lay low for all 3 against the Rays, which is certainly believable, the Red Sox would have to sweep Baltimore to win the wild card. 2 out of 3 would be the one game playoff in Tampa Bay. The collapse is still possible.

Assuming the Red Sox win 2 out of 3 in the first place. They just lost 3 out of 4 to the O's last week.

Of course it's far from a lock that the Rays could win all 3 against the Yankees either. Considering what just happened in the last Rays - Yanks matchup.

Red Sox get swept. Rays win 1 game out of 3. Angels force the 3 way tie.

I think the Yankees should do everyone a favor and put Scott Proctor on display for at least 5 innings in all 3 games against the Rays. Proctor is a gem and we need to appreciate him while he's still here.

Luthos

This has been an interesting end to the season.

Braves play 3 against Philly, and we (Cardinals) play 3 against Houston. It's in our favor, you'd think, but Philly has been playing like crap lately too. And knowing my luck, Cardinals will probably drop 2 or all 3 against Houston.

Luthos said:
This has been an interesting end to the season.

Braves play 3 against Philly, and we (Cardinals) play 3 against Houston. It's in our favor, you'd think, but Philly has been playing like crap lately too. And knowing my luck, Cardinals will probably drop 2 or all 3 against Houston.

You can pretty much mark Wednesday as a win for the Braves. Hudson's pitching (if it still matters, that is) and Manuel's only running the bullpen and the bench out there on the final day, with Hamels getting in at some point and only throwing an inning or so.

lazybones18 said:
I really want there to be one-game playoffs from both leagues (including an extra game from a possible three-way tie for the AL WC).

Angels are done. They blew a 5-2 lead in the 9th to the A's and lost 6-5. This was it for them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Boy am I glad I did not stay up. I wouldn't have kept the game on when Proctor came in anyway. Talk about the white flag.

h3ro

L5O3V.jpg

Sharp

Puddles said:
Is a K/BB ratio really a better statistic than a K-BB differential? Seems that the latter would do a better job accounting for how good a pitcher was at limiting baserunners.
K/PA-BB/PA is supposed to be a somewhat better statistic.

Sharp

talisayNon said:
Oh man, John Lackey's divorcing his wife battling cancer? I now know a shittier human being than myself.
Someone with talent make a GIF of Lackey's face morphing into John Edwards'

eznark

Banned
talisayNon said:
Oh man, John Lackey's divorcing his wife battling cancer? I now know a shittier human being than myself.

Hm, his name doesn't lend itself well to a Livestrong type marketing scheme.

Windu

Halladay 164 era+
Kershaw 163 era+

I rest my case.
wow

hemtae

talisayNon said:

And here I was disagreeing with the whole "shittiest person in sports" thing last night

I think it's the "divorcing his dying wife who he previously used to substantiate his failure as a pitcher" that makes him a toolbag, not so much the concept of divorce itself.

Also, he has a doucheface. Look at his doucheface! Somebody post one of the 90 Lackey "fuck!" GIFs. C'mon, son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom