• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
No need to watch it on YES, all 3 games are thankfully on SUN. There's no college football to interrupt it.
You lucky bastard.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Is anybody else surprised that the Yanks mite win 100 games? I'm amazed, team doesn't seem as good as other teams but this team just knows hot to win. Facing the likes of the Royals or Seattle helps though.
If you go by pythag they're already over 100 wins. I am surprised by how well they've played this season, especially the starting rotation. I didn't expect them to be this close to 100 wins, more like 95.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cashman is the luckiest bastard in the world.

Yankees offseason:
Try to sign Cliff Lee
Fail to sign Cliff Lee
Sign Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia
Laugh at Red Sox

It worked!

Meier said:
Kirk won a 'ship. He can't be the original LeBron.

Oh I know what's more likely. I'm saying people who place absolute faith in Sabermetrics and think it's the end all/be all to baseball would probably say the inverse was true if their formulas supported it.

This is paradox logic. Are you trying to blow up a computer?

Sabermetric guys would pick the player with inferior stats if the stats said they were... superior?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah i did not expect the yanks to be this good. They had no starting pitching, and then they sign Garcia and Colon and they actually perform well? wtfisthisshit I expected the Red Sox to run away with the division and the Rays and Yanks to battle it out for the wild card with the Yanks eventually winning. I thought that their offense and bullpen were so good that they would overcome their rotation troubles, just not enough to catch boston.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Cashman is the luckiest bastard in the world.

Yankees offseason:
Try to sign Cliff Lee
Fail to sign Cliff Lee
Sign Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia
Laugh at Red Sox

It worked!
Cashmoney is a genius brah.

jman2050

Windu said:
yeah i did not expect the yanks to be this good. They had no starting pitching, and then they sign Garcia and Colon and they actually perform well? wtfisthisshit I expected the Red Sox to run away with the division and the Rays and Yanks to battle it out for the wild card with the Yanks eventually winning. I thought that their offense and bullpen were so good that they would overcome their rotation troubles, just not enough to catch boston.

They might end up with a lower RA than even the 98 team.

Granted, I'm sure a good portion of that will be due to the down offensive environment in general, but it's still quite a feat considering their rotation.

darkside31337 said:
Assuming the Red Sox win 2 out of 3 in the first place. They just lost 3 out of 4 to the O's last week.

Of course it's far from a lock that the Rays could win all 3 against the Yankees either. Considering what just happened in the last Rays - Yanks matchup.

Red Sox get swept. Rays win 1 game out of 3. Angels force the 3 way tie.
The Angels aren't going to sweep Texas, and the Red Sox are going to win at least one. The Angels are done.

talisayNon said:
Oh man, John Lackey's divorcing his wife battling cancer? I now know a shittier human being than myself.
That's the rumor that he's angry about, anyway. We don't know the truth.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Why can't the games just start now? Fuck this crystal ball shit.
I know, it's kind of agonizing...

AnEternalEnigma said:
Braves lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Freeman - 1B
6. McCann - C
7. Diaz - RF
8. Gonzalez - SS
9. Delgado - P

Phillies lineup:

1. Rollins - SS
2. Utley - 2B
3. Pence - RF
4. Howard - 1B
5. Victorino - CF
6. Ibanez - LF
7. Polanco - 3B
8. Ruiz - C
9. Lee - P

Looks like Cholly isn't going to play ball and is using all his starters. BLEH ON YOU.
The Phillies lost eight in a row recently, they don't want to go into the postseason having lost like ten of their last 14 or something like that, obviously.

Malo

Banned
jman2050 said:

Granted, I'm sure a good portion of that will be due to the down offensive environment in general, but it's still quite a feat considering their rotation.
Wow, I had no idea. That would be quite an achievement.

Windu

jman2050 said:

yeah i'd say that is the main reason. They have about as good as offense as the 98 team if you compare them to the league average. 117 wRC+ for 1998 and 115 wRC+ for 2011.

edit: AL R/G in 2011 = 4.47, AL R/G in 1998 = 5.07

AL 2010 = 4.45

lowest since 1992 4.32

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/bat.shtml

If Braves go 3-0:
Braves win NL Wild Card

If Braves go 2-1:
Cardinals must go 3-0 to force tiebreaker

If Braves go 1-2:
Cardinals must go 3-0 to win NL Wild Card; 2-1 to force tiebreaker

If Braves go 0-3:
Cardinals must go 2-1 to win NL Wild Card; 1-2 to force tiebreaker

If there is a tiebreaker, it would be held in St. Louis on Thursday, September 29. The pitching probables are Brandon Beachy vs. Kyle Lohse.

--

If Red Sox go 3-0:
Red Sox win AL Wild Card

If Red Sox go 2-1:
Rays must go 3-0 to force tiebreaker

If Red Sox go 1-2:
Rays must go 3-0 to win AL Wild Card; 2-1 to force tiebreaker

If Red Sox go 0-3:
Rays must go 2-1 to win AL Wild Card; 1-2 to force tiebreaker

If there is a tiebreaker, it would be held in Tampa Bay on Thursday, September 29. The pitching probables are Jon Lester vs. Jeff Niemann (unless the Red Sox pitched Lester on short rest on the final day; then it would be either Tim Wakefield or John Lackey on short rest).

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
If Braves go 3-0:
Braves win NL Wild Card

If Braves go 2-1:

If Braves go 1-2:

If Braves go 0-3:

If there is a tiebreaker, it would be held in St. Louis on Thursday, September 29. The pitching probables are Brandon Beachy vs. Kyle Lohse.
so basically....go astros lol.

edit: do we know what time the tie breaker would be? i have class that night and can't skip because of a test (that will be the fastest test ever).

edit: and also, if we had that extra wild card thing, the NL race would be over. Giants are 4 back of the Cardinals and in the AL the Angels are 2 back of the Rays. So much for better races.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
and also, if we had that extra wild card thing, the NL race would be over. Giants are 4 back of the Cardinals and in the AL the Angels are 2 back of the Rays. So much for better races.

It's hilarious because 3 weeks ago both the AL / NL races looked dead. There would have been extremely competitive races for the hypothetical 2nd WC spots too. Crap changes pretty quickly when teams start to choke.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
It's hilarious because 3 weeks ago both the AL / NL races looked dead. There would have been extremely competitive races for the hypothetical 2nd WC spots too. Crap changes pretty quickly when teams start to choke.
i guess you could say that unlike all of the other playoff teams, boston and atlanta care about baseball fans. They wanted to give them something to watch at the end of the year. Very considerate if you ask me.

Windu said:
i guess you could say that unlike all of the other playoff teams, boston and atlanta care about baseball fans. They wanted to give them something to watch at the end of the year. Very considerate if you ask me.

The Braves also wanted to give Jordan Schafer something to play for in the final series as well. They are truly gentlemen.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
AnEternalEnigma said:
If Braves go 3-0:
Braves win NL Wild Card

If Braves go 2-1:

If Braves go 1-2:

If Braves go 0-3:

--

If Red Sox go 3-0:
Red Sox win AL Wild Card

If Red Sox go 2-1:
Rays must go 3-0 to force tiebreaker

If Red Sox go 1-2:
Rays must go 3-0 to win AL Wild Card; 2-1 to force tiebreaker

If Red Sox go 0-3:
Rays must go 2-1 to win AL Wild Card; 1-2 to force tiebreaker

If there is a tiebreaker, it would be held in Tampa Bay on Thursday, September 29. The pitching probables are Jon Lester vs. Jeff Niemann (unless the Red Sox pitched Lester on short rest on the final day; then it would be either Tim Wakefield or John Lackey on short rest).

This shit makes end of seasons so much fun :D

Doytch

Puddles said:
For the next three days, most of America will be united behind Baltimore in a way we haven't been since Season 4 of The Wire.
Yeah except no one actually watched The Wire when it was airing.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
The 163rd game possibly involving John Lackey on short rest is one of the most awesome baseball moments waiting to happen ever.
well the game might not be great but the moment Lackey gets pulled will be some good entertainment

edit: lackey wouldn't be starting? /boooo

smart though

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
I'm assuming the Sox decide to use him for game 162 to ensure they actually get to game 163.
I was reading your wording, not the number of games. If Lackey was going to start game one of the playoffs he wouldn't be on short rest.

Lester would go in game three against Baltimore if needed. Bedard tomorrow.

Jangocube

Banned
ORIOLES MAGIC TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh Beckett, who the fuck is that? We got Tommy Hunter motherfucker! Don't slip up Boston, me and the couple hundred Orioles fans are going to be watching!

Sanjuro

Jangocube said:
ORIOLES MAGIC TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh Beckett, who the fuck is that? We got Tommy Hunter motherfucker! Don't slip up Boston, me and the couple hundred Orioles fans are going to be watching!
cp5Fh.jpg

I have to agree. John Lackey pitching an AL Wild Card tiebreaker on short rest at The Trop in Tampa Bay would be one of those legendary moments you have no excuse to miss.

lucius

I have a feeling the Red Sox are gonna go all the way to the WS losing in 6 or 7 to Philly. Once they get in I just think they will go on a run.

Sanjuro

AnEternalEnigma said:
I have to agree. John Lackey pitching an AL Wild Card tiebreaker on short rest at The Trop in Tampa Bay would be one of those legendary moments you have no excuse to miss.
That is assuming that there will be a tie-breaker. Devil Rays need to not choke to allow that to happen.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
That is assuming that there will be a tie-breaker. Devil Rays need to not choke to allow that to happen.

Considering they'll probably see Scott Proctor in every game, I think they'll be fine.

Meohsix

Wow i assumed the Yankees would give a lot of the guys the night off after playing a double header + extra innings yesterday. (and having nothing to play for) but it looks like Tex is the only one sitting tonight.

edit: Swish out also.

George said:
Wow i assumed the Yankees would give a lot of the guys the night off after playing a double header + extra innings yesterday. (and having nothing to play for) but it looks like Tex is the only one sitting tonight.

They're just trolling. I doubt they play full-tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom