• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 27

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 100% (clinched AL West title 9/23)
Red Sox -- 59.1% (tied for first in AL Wild Card; 1 game remaining)
Rays    -- 40.9% (tied for first in AL Wild Card; 1 game remaining)

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Brewers      -- 100% (clinched NL Central title 9/23)
Diamondbacks -- 100% (clinched NL West title 9/23)
Cardinals    -- 61.2% (tied for first in NL Wild Card; 1 game remaining)
Braves       -- 38.8% (tied for first in NL Wild Card; 1 game remaining)

rekameohs said:
4g35i.png

Look at that box-score!

:jnc

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

rekameohs

Banned
All 6 of those runs were with 2 outs.

"This is the one. This is the victory of the year. This cannot be overtaken." -Daron Sutton

Oh, I beg to differ, sir

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
So now we have one ALDS matchup confirmed right? Yankees vs. Tigers?

Tigers could still finish with the same record as the Rangers, and they own the tiebreaker (6-3 vs the Rangers this season).

diddles

Banned
i mean in case anyone missed it, the dbacks were down 6-1. 2 outs, bases empty, in the bottom of the 10th inning. the dodgers blew a routine out at first to end it. the dbacks then come back winning 7-6 on a grand slam walk off. starting from 2 outs, bases empty! that was amazing.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
lazybones18 said:
Nice that ESPN/ESPN2 will be showing all the Wild Card bound team games Wed. night

Gives me something to watch along with my regular shows
Nice. Got Wednesday off to be lazy and watch some baseball.

Time to sort out tomorrow's potential insanity. Let's start with the National League.

First off, the NL Wild Card.

-- If the Braves win, Cardinals lose: Braves win NL Wild Card
-- If the Braves win, Cardinals win: Tiebreaker on 9/29 in St. Louis
-- If the Braves lose, Cardinals lose: Tiebreaker on 9/29 in St. Louis
-- If the Braves lose, Cardinals win: Cardinals win NL Wild Card

Now, the #2/#3 seed.

-- If the Diamondbacks win, Brewers lose: Diamondbacks are #2 seed.
-- If the Diamondbacks win, Brewers win: Brewers are #2 seed.
-- If the Diamondbacks lose, Brewers lose: Brewers are #2 seed.
-- If the Diamondbacks lose, Brewers win: Brewers are #2 seed.

Now, sorting out potential playoff matches.

-- If the Brewers are #2 seed, Braves win the Wild Card: Diamondbacks @ Phillies, Braves @ Brewers in NLDS
-- If the Brewers are #2 seed, Cardinals win the Wild Card: Cardinals @ Phillies, Diamondbacks @ Brewers in NLDS
-- If the Diamondbacks are #2 seed, Braves win the Wild Card: Brewers @ Phillies, Braves @ Diamondbacks in NLDS
-- If the Diamondbacks are #2 seed, Cardinals win the Wild Card: Cardinals @ Phillies, Brewers @ Diamondbacks in NLDS

Time for the American League.

AL Wild Card first.

-- If the Red Sox win, Rays lose: Red Sox win AL Wild Card
-- If the Red Sox win, Rays win: Tiebreaker on 9/29 in Tampa Bay
-- If the Red Sox lose, Rays lose: Tiebreaker on 9/29 in Tampa Bay
-- If the Red Sox lose, Rays win: Rays win AL Wild Card

Now, the #2/#3 seed.

-- If the Tigers win, Rangers lose: Tigers are #2 seed
-- If the Tigers win, Rangers win: Rangers are #2 seed
-- If the Tigers lose, Rangers lose: Rangers are #2 seed
-- If the Tigers lose, Rangers win: Rangers are #2 seed

Now, the potential AL playoffs.

-- If the Rangers are #2 seed, Red Sox win the Wild Card: Tigers @ Yankees, Red Sox @ Rangers
-- If the Rangers are #2 seed, Rays win Wild Card: Tigers @ Yankees, Rays @ Rangers
-- If the Tigers are #2 seed, Red Sox win Wild Card: Rangers @ Yankees, Red Sox @ Tigers
-- If the Tigers are #2 seed, Rays win Wild Card: Rangers @ Yankees, Rays @ Tigers

God. What a finish.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
rekameohs said:
This has to be one of the most exciting finishes in modern baseball history.

And yet, they're adding the second wild card...

To be fair, Second wild card looked like a freaking brilliant idea 3 weeks ago.

It took an absolute monumental historic collapses, in both leagues, to get exciting baseball down the stretch. Not exactly a banner year to champion not expanding to a 2nd WC really.

The one that really looms large is the 9/9 game between the Braves and Cardinals. The Braves had a 3-1 lead in the 9th with 2 outs and only a runner on first. Kimbrel walked the next two batters to bring up Pujols, who tied the game. Cardinals went on to win in the 10th.

If the Braves had won that game, they would have clinched last night when the Cardinals lost.

Still, 5-run lead in the 9th and 0 out... Cards horrible bullpen destroyed them, they would've tied the Braves last week. I still don't get why they never tried to get Francisco Rodriguez, and I still lol'd when Cajole tried to say Fernando Salas' peripherals made him a better option.

eznark

Banned
Dodgers lol. I went to bed after they took the lead. Should have known a garbage team would blow it.

Oh well, Brewers or Cardinals win today and everything is gold.

dbacks have a good chance at any team lacking a awesome bullpen *looks at philly's* only problem is getting their starting pitchers out of the game by the 6th or 7th. I dont think the braves will come through, it'll most likely be dbacks @ brewers on saturday, but with kennedy starting game one things could be very interesting. Dbacks have a habit of surviving the starting pitchers and scorching the bullpen.

Fatalah

AnEternalEnigma said:
Why the fuck do the last games have to be at night? I wish we'd have this shit settled quickly.
The working world prefers them to be at night. I look forward to coming home after work today and kicking back to watch these games with a Sam Adams Octoberfest. What a gift the baseball gods have bestowed! (And the MLB network is BUILT for this!)

Don't worry, for your sake, one game playoffs are usually held a bit earlier.

TheBranca18 said:
Wouldn't you want the Sox in the playoffs? Tampa is in better shape and can actually pitch. The Sox are beyond awful right now.

Unfortunately Kenny Williams did so many things right with the 2005 team that he won't be fired. He's almost as bad as the Red Sox.
Broken clock right twice a day, etc.

Kenny has to take more of the blame for the Sox being bad this year. (Peavy, Dunn, Rios)

No class for the rest of the week so going to the afternoon Mets game, then watching some wildcard baseball. Btw, when was the last time both wildcards tied after the season is over and had to play one game playoffs?

I really hope that the Braves win today. I fell that they should make the playoffs since they were the better team all year. Plus they are a much better team then the Cards and I would rather have the best teams in the playoffs.

The Frankman said:
Still, 5-run lead in the 9th and 0 out... Cards horrible bullpen destroyed them, they would've tied the Braves last week. I still don't get why they never tried to get Francisco Rodriguez, and I still lol'd when Cajole tried to say Fernando Salas' peripherals made him a better option.
fuck k-rod

eznark said:
Dodgers lol. I went to bed after they took the lead. Should have known a garbage team would blow it.

Oh well, Brewers or Cardinals win today and everything is gold.

Yeah but it sucks that in all likelihood Greinke is going to get pushed back to Game 3, with Marcum getting the nod for Game 2. And I know all the sabers will say that it's only due to small sample size/BABIP issues/stranded runners, but Greinke has been dominant at home and mediocre on the road, and Marcum just the opposite.

Fricking Dodgers.

And forget you, Daron Sutton.

darkside31337 said:
To be fair, Second wild card looked like a freaking brilliant idea 3 weeks ago.

It took an absolute monumental historic collapses, in both leagues, to get exciting baseball down the stretch. Not exactly a banner year to champion not expanding to a 2nd WC really.

Also, if I'm not mistaken the 2nd WC means a one-game play-in in each league, correct? So more or less what's happening this year, except without the astronomical odds against it happening naturally.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Also, if I'm not mistaken the 2nd WC means a one-game play-in in each league, correct? So more or less what's happening this year, except without the astronomical odds against it happening naturally.
Yes sir.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Boston’s attempt to trade for Chris Capuano last week failed, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox are still trying to acquire a veteran starting pitcher for a potential Game 163 tiebreaker tomorrow and one possible target is Bruce Chen of the Royals.

I hope this happens just because of how utterly ridiculous everything about it is.

Deal will more than likely will not happen because Bruce Chen is a Type B free agent, so the Royals can actually ask for a pretty good haul back.

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Yeah but it sucks that in all likelihood Greinke is going to get pushed back to Game 3, with Marcum getting the nod for Game 2. And I know all the sabers will say that it's only due to small sample size/BABIP issues/stranded runners, but Greinke has been dominant at home and mediocre on the road, and Marcum just the opposite.

Fricking Dodgers.

And forget you, Daron Sutton.

Don't get me started on the decision to not pitch Greinke Saturday. Mind-bogglingly stupid decisions from a mind-bogglingly stupid manager. He has had two weeks to get his rotation set (unless he bought the bullshit ESPN hype that the Cardinals had a chance of catching the Brewers) and completely fucked it up. If he gets one vote for manager of the year that writer should be castrated. This is a 100 win team that he turned into a 95 win team. Gibson deserves the award unanimously. Well, maybe Bautista steals a vote or two.

Boston’s attempt to trade for Chris Capuano last week failed, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox are still trying to acquire a veteran starting pitcher for a potential Game 163 tiebreaker tomorrow and one possible target is Bruce Chen of the Royals.

I hope this happens just because of how utterly ridiculous everything about it is.

Deal will more than likely will not happen because Bruce Chen is a Type B free agent, so the Royals can actually ask for a pretty good haul back.

Theo in full-on panic. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom