• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Braves went 1-5 against the Cardinals. Should be 4-2. Check this out:

4/29 vs. STL: Braves lead 3-2 in the 9th, Kimbrel blows it, Cardinals win in 11.
4/30 vs. STL: Braves lead 2-0 in the 8th, Venters blows it, Cardinals win in 9th off Kimbrel.
9/9 @ STL: Braves lead 3-1 in the 9th, Kimbrel blows it, Cardinals win in 10.

All of those really fucking sting now. If they just win ONE of those games, they clinch on Friday night when the Cardinals lost.

Rookie of the Year!

ToxicAdam

Windu said:
Well the nationals are a better team this year and its not like the marlins have not been competitive in a lot of those years. Anyway, my point still stands, i don't like the unbalanced schedule especially when it comes to the wild card. Some teams get to play weaker teams while others player stronger teams.

Also, the indians play in the American League Central, so i'm not sure how much you can talk.

You mean the division where 3 teams spent over 100 million this year? (The only division that can claim that)

Listen, if you are going to shit on Houston because they are happening to have a god awful year, you need the accept the reality that it was a much better franchise for the bulk of the past decade than two teams in your division.

Red Sox lineup posted:

1. Ellsbury - CF
2. Pedroia - 2B
3. Ortiz - DH
4. Gonzalez - 1B
5. Lavarnway - C
6. Drew - RF
7. Scutaro - SS
8. Crawford - LF
9. Aviles - 3B

AnEternalEnigma said:
Braves went 1-5 against the Cardinals. Should be 4-2. Check this out:

4/29 vs. STL: Braves lead 3-2 in the 9th, Kimbrel blows it, Cardinals win in 11.
4/30 vs. STL: Braves lead 2-0 in the 8th, Venters blows it, Cardinals win in 9th off Kimbrel.
9/9 @ STL: Braves lead 3-1 in the 9th, Kimbrel blows it, Cardinals win in 10.

All of those really fucking sting now. If they just win ONE of those games, they clinch on Friday night when the Cardinals lost.
That's baseball. What's the saying? Coulda, shoulda, didn't?

The Cardinals blew a fuckton of late games this season too.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
well i'm shitting on the unbalanced schedule, it just so happens that the central has 3 really bad teams this year for the others to beat up on. You could claim that the marlins, mets and nationals are all better than the cubs, pirates and astros. Of course each year is different but when deciding a playoff spot, teams should have to face the same competition. I'm for a unbalanced schedule in general. At least the divisional opponents are kinda balanaced, but not the wild card.

edit: err, balanced schedule in general*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
well i'm shitting on the unbalanced schedule, it just so happens that the central has 3 really bad teams this year for the others to beat up on. You could claim that the marlins, mets and nationals are all better than the cubs, pirates and astros. Of course each year is different but when deciding a playoff spot, teams should have to face the same competition. I'm for a unbalanced schedule in general. At least the divisional opponents are kinda balanaced, but not the wild card.

So the easiest solution then is to just do away with the wild card all together.

Honestly whining about imbalanced schedules regarding the wild card is stupid. If you want to guarantee you make the playoffs then win the division. Otherwise deal with the cards or go home.

Windu

the easiest solution would be to get rid of the divisions all together and take the 4 best teams. Balanced schedule with no interleague play, yes please. Probably have remove or add a few teams though because it wouldn't exactly be balanced.

darkside31337 said:
So the easiest solution then is to just do away with the wild card all together.

Honestly whining about imbalanced schedules regarding the wild card is stupid. If you want to guarantee you make the playoffs then win the division. Otherwise deal with the cards or go home.
Even divisonal rivals have unbalanced schedules due to interleague "rivalries". But I believe baseball's unbalanced schedules are not nearly as significant as ones in other sports since you have 162 games each season. Every contending team has lost games it "should have won" so there's some leeway there for good teams to overcome any scheduling imbalances.

Maxim726X

ConradCervantes said:
Just woke up from my nap to read about what the Mets did with Reyes. I guess even the laughingstock of the majors needs an occasional bright spot.

Nope, they're still the laughingstock. Now it's just for a different reason.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
You can put it on the board, noooooooo!

Hawk got a 4 year extension for the White Sox.

This world is so cruel.
Dwiyu.jpg

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Cathcart

Little Green Yoda said:
That's baseball. What's the saying? Coulda, shoulda, didn't?

The Cardinals blew a fuckton of late games this season too.
Wow, I was going to comment on this but I did some research and was pretty surprised by how many blown saves the Braves had. I knew the Cardinals had a lot (holy shit 26! for a playoff contender!) but it turns out the Braves had 24. Yeeowch. The next playoff team was Milwaukee with 19.

Cathcart said:
Wow, I was going to comment on this but I did some research and was pretty surprised by how many blown saves the Braves had. I knew the Cardinals had a lot (holy shit 26! for a playoff contender!) but it turns out the Braves had 24. Yeeowch. The next playoff team was Milwaukee with 19.

A lot of that has come in the last month in a half. They are just totally gassed after Fredi (aka Cox II) abused them in the first three months.

ConradCervantes said:
Just woke up from my nap to read about what the Mets did with Reyes. I guess even the laughingstock of the majors needs an occasional bright spot.
You people are acting like no one does this at all. This goes on during every close race, if Braun had the lead Brewers would've given him the day off. I fully expect him to be PH for if he does take the lead.

Windu

Doytch said:
soooo....why do we give a shit about a batting average race?
meh its fun to watch and i still think its impressive when someone has a really high BA anyway.

Yankees just announced their starter for tonight's game.

DELLIN BETANCES!

MIGHT WANT TO HOLD OFF ON THE CHAMPAGNE, RAYS!

Braves lineup

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Freeman - 1B
6. McCann - C
7. Diaz - RF
8. Wilson - SS
9. Hudson - P

Windu

McCann 6th, prado 2nd. Diaz instead of Heyward. la meh.

and Blanton is a RHP too...sooo it makes the diaz/heyward decision even dumber.

edit: and then of course there is the defensive part of the game where its not even close who is the better option.

Nice game by Miguel Batista and the Mets win! A few "We want Reyes" chants started in top of the ninth. A few mins after the game, Chip Hale and some other coaches and players threw their caps to fans in the front tow. Then some Reds players followed suit.

Jangocube

Banned
OK, I might not be here for the game tonight because I might be at a bar full of Sox fans just to troll with some friends, so if I'm not, I've personally ordered at least 3 runs for the Orioles tonight. I cannot guarantee that we will not give up at least 5 though, so take that for whatever it's worth.

For one night though, at least half of you guys are Oriole fans. It's such a beautiful thing to watch

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Nice game by Miguel Batista and the Mets win! A few "We want Reyes" chants started in top of the ninth. A few mins after the game, Chip Hale and some other coaches and players threw their caps to fans in the front tow. Then some Reds players followed suit.
So awesome. I would've gone if I wasn't stuck in Philly. At least I'll be back this Saturday.

b9222b08-4025-42ca-a376-1e724ef98991_400.jpg

53693a25-04c2-4b91-8cb0-b79ba0b0c518_400.jpg

ahahahhhaah Willie Harris forced Reyes out of the dugout after the game to take multiple curtain calls.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
Wait WTF in Twitter Collins said it was his idea... what's going on?

Who's twitter? Terry said it was Reyes' call, he was emotional in the post game.

Who cares, if he went 0-4 and Braun sat then what?

Matt Cerrone and Michael Baron Twitter said:
Jose Reyes and Terry Collins embrace after he came out of the game, which Terry indicated he would do if he got a hit
Ironically his next article refutes his own tweet LOL.
LJ11 said:
Who's twitter? Terry said it was Reyes' call, he was emotional in the post game.

Who cares, if he went 0-4 and Braun sat then what?
The board would be strangely quiet outside of ez jizzing.

It's nice that Reyes is holding a viewing party of the Brewers game tonight. Bitter tears in the Reyes household when Braun goes 4-4 and winks at the camera in the dugout.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Whoever is catching tonight for the Pirates should just tell Braun what's coming all four times.

Too bad we're not playing the Nats or Marlins. I'm sure they'd be more likely to stick it to the Mets since they got nothing to lose.

Girardi will regret that. David Price will make them humble tonight. take their confidence from them. defeat diamondbacks in world series in front of 18 000 fans move to Montreal before next season. make selig humble

jman2050

The starters will get two, three ABs at most and Betances is going to get shelled. The Rays will be in a position to win this game, they just need to take advantage.

Windu

well at least he is resting someone, hopefully the rest are replaced by their 3rd at bat.

also, Mayberry has been pretty good with the bat, so its really not much of a downgrade in terms of offense.

edit: actually, Victorino's and Mayberry's offensive numbers are virtually identical.

and btw, he would be the braves best hitter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom