• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Why would the Tigers need him? They just got Wilson Betemit.
What Dombrowski is actually thinking

Sad that the Pirates aren't in it. They obviously were not going to pick up the tab but not parting with prospects is shocking to me. This might be like the last time they are in contention for the next 250 years or so. Cutch must be pissed.

For a team like the Pirates paying for a few months of Beltran with cash and prospects without getting the comp picks is a killer.

jakncoke

Banned
Although Beltran would be a big upgrade to lineup, I get why why they didn't want to give up top level prospects for a 1/2 year player.

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
For a team like the Pirates paying for a few months of Beltran with cash and prospects without getting the comp picks is a killer.

The Pirates have a lot of prospects that they can stand losing for this playoff push. I wanted Beltran/and or Pence but I wasn't confident that Huntington and Nutting would have the balls to do it; seems like I am right, unfortunately.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
captmcblack said:
Beltran wants to stay in the NL, so he won't be in CLE or BOS. Would the Mets actually trade within their division to their enemies?

Seeing Beltran getting traded to the Braves and completely wreck up the Phillies in the playoffs would be completely sweet.

As a Mets fan though why would it matter where he gets traded to? Sandy should get the best package available regardless from who it is from. Its a 3 month rental, not trading a guy under team control for a couple years.

turnbuckle

darkside31337 said:

Sad that the Pirates aren't in it. They obviously were not going to pick up the tab but not parting with prospects is shocking to me. This might be like the last time they are in contention for the next 250 years or so. Cutch must be pissed.

Beltran ain't worth a rental when the Mets are most likely going to want some combination of Turner, Castellanos, Oliver, and Martinez. Can't offer arbitration, and the upgrade over what we have in the outfield probably won't be as big an upgrade as Betemit was over Inge.

That's how bad Inge has been. He's no longer a plus on defense and his offense was just woeful. .177 batting average with no power or ability to draw walks.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
More from Busta:

Educated guess on Beltran talks, as of today: I think ATL is the frontrunner, 2. SF. ATL has nice range of P prospects, like Mike Minor.

Funnest part of this is thinking about where Fredi bats Beltran in the lineup. I'm going to say 1st because he probably thinks Beltran is the guy who still steals 25+ stolen bases a year (and has the absolutely unreal career 88.2% success rate on steals).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
we better not trade Mike Minor for a 2 month rental.
Funnest part of this is thinking about where Fredi bats Beltran in the lineup. I'm going to say 1st because he probably thinks Beltran is the guy who still steals 25+ stolen bases a year (and has the absolutely unreal career 88.2% success rate on steals).
i would love that. .380+ OBP in the leadoff spot would be awesome.

Have you people seen Beltran's insane across-the-board numbers? 3 months of Beltran could've guaranteed the Pirates the playoffs. It can be the piece that pushes the Braves over the Phils, plus Mets want one A and an ok B and they're picking up a large part of the tab? Geez I've seen some of you guys go gaga over scrub trades over the past years, this dude is actually worth it.
darkside31337 said:

Cutch is going to demand a trade. All the stars are in alignment now.

Windu

The Frankman said:
Have you people seen Beltran's insane across-the-board numbers? 3 months of Beltran could've guaranteed the Pirates the playoffs. It can be the piece that pushes the Braves over the Phils, plus Mets want one A and an ok B and they're picking up a large part of the tab? Geez I've seen some of you guys go gaga over scrub trades over the past years, this dude is actually worth it.
its never worth it to trade a middle of the Rotation starter who is under control for 5-6 years for a 2 month rental who won't net you draft picks and the other team has to trade him to receive anything. You're delusional.

Honestly how often do these end of the year rentals even work out? Phils and Braves are both going to make the playoffs, so which ever team mortgages their future for a slight edge this year is just being stupid IMO.

Jangocube said:
So if Beltran goes to Philly, Ibanez is the odd man out? Or are they going to mess around with Dominic Brown again?

I think Raul and Dom would split AB's. That is another reason I dont like it, Dom has been doing well this year against rightys, he just needs more AB's against lefties. This would slow his development big time.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:

.......Scott?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
yankeehater said:
Honestly how often do these end of the year rentals even work out? Phils and Braves are both going to make the playoffs, so which ever team mortgages their future for a slight edge this year is just being stupid IMO.

Define what "work out" means.

To me working out means the guy you traded for was a big reason you got into the playoffs. So the Sabathia trade worked out for the Brewers that one year he single handily got them in, and obviously the Cliff Lee trade to the Rangers worked out for them as well.

But the points everyone is making is true. The Rangers got 2 picks for losing Lee, whoever gets Beltran will end up keeping nothing unless Beltran decides to stick around for a reasonable price with that team.

darkside31337 said:
Define what "work out" means.

To me working out means the guy you traded for was a big reason you got into the playoffs. So the Sabathia trade worked out for the Brewers that one year he single handily got them in, and obviously the Cliff Lee trade to the Rangers worked out for them as well.

But the points everyone is making is true. The Rangers got 2 picks for losing Lee, whoever gets Beltran will end up keeping nothing unless Beltran decides to stick around for a reasonable price with that team.

No way does a Scott Boras client stick around for a reasonable price anywhere. I cant believe I forgot about Lee and CC, both of those trades worked out great for their teams. I would just be gun shy to do a rental because I cant forget about Bagwell. I dont want the Phils to trade Worley and have him become an All-star for another team.

turnbuckle

The Frankman said:

You'd make that trade if you were on the other end of the deal? You're nuts.

Windu

now i'm not opposed to trading Minor to the mets, they would just have to throw something else in the package as well.

edit: Beltran + Parnell would do it.

verbum

Braves sent Cory Gearin to AAA and called up Christian Martinez. Good. Scott Procterologist is still a pain in the ass though.

yankeehater said:
No way does a Scott Boras client stick around for a reasonable price anywhere. I cant believe I forgot about Lee and CC, both of those trades worked out great for their teams. I would just be gun shy to do a rental because I cant forget about Bagwell. I dont want the Phils to trade Worley and have him become an All-star for another team.

People I would trade Worley for: Hunter Pence.

People I would not trade Worley for: Beltran. It doesn’t make sense to trade within the division for a 2-3 month rental, especially with Oswalt and Blanton being the questions marks they are right now and possibly next year.

I’d accept Pence because, to play devil’s advocate, Worley is still only going to be the 4th or 5th best pitcher in the rotation, and in the playoffs, a strong RH is going to do us a lot better than a pitcher we may not even be using. I don’t see the Astros making another ridiculous trade with us again, but who knows.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
There's no way the Braves would give up Julio Teharen for Beltran, rite Braves-Gaf?

Teheran is absolutely off limits. It looks like Mike Minor may be the one the Braves are willing to give up.

O ok, I just read about Minor. Teheran would be awesome but nobody gives up a player of that caliber for a rental. I was also reading about a kid named Vizcaino, Mets were scouting him and liked him.

Windu

Dmncnby2k9 said:
O ok, I just read about Minor. Teheran would be awesome but nobody gives up a player of that caliber for a rental. I was also reading about a kid named Vizcaino, Mets were scouting him and liked him.
yeah thats not happening either.

Maxim726X

AnEternalEnigma said:
AJC reports that Mets scouts were in attendance to watch Minor's AAA start last night.

Minor makes sense for both camps. I'd be very happy with Minor... Maybe if the Braves want some relievers (which they should), the Mets can trade Izzy and whomever else to get another prospect or two.

I think most Mets fans would be happy with that.

Maxim726X

Dmncnby2k9 said:

Vizcaino ain't going nowhere. Delgado isn't either.

Teheran is going to be a stud.

Minor would be a great pick up, and probably the most realistic one.

Windu

Maxim726X said:
Minor makes sense for both camps. I'd be very happy with Minor... Maybe if the Braves want some relievers (which they should), the Mets can trade Izzy and whomever else to get another prospect or two.

I think most Mets fans would be happy with that.
Isringhausen? no. Parnell, sure. But that is just for Minor.

Maxim726X

Windu said:
now i'm not opposed to trading Minor to the mets, they would just have to throw something else in the package as well.

edit: Beltran + Parnell would do it.

Get out of here.

Would you like Izzy?

I hope who gets Beltran eliminates the other teams from contention. I've seen worse deals for inferior players at the deadline and people are acting like Beltran ain't worth it. It's not about making the playoffs, it's about putting yourself ahead of other playoffs teams.

Beltran puts the Pirates on par with the Braves hittingwise, maybe over (Atlanta isn't great at hitting). Boston don't really need hium but whatever. He would be a GODsend for the Giants, who have tampered at every turn to woo him. Any hitter at CPP is going to hit so whatever, but I'd have to see the Phils' prospects. Don't get why the Tigers would need him... Cleveland is interesting but I guess they're out. You put him on Texas and that's fucking unfair right there...

But tonight Reyes/Wright/Beltran is back, and the Marlins are GONNA GET GOT!!!

EDIT: Wait Braves have Venters/Kimbrel/Martinez and you want Parnell too? LOL you take Mike Pelfrey and like it.

Maxim726X

Windu said:
Isringhausen? no. Parnell, sure. But that is just for Minor.

That's just not gonna happen. Don't be surprised if he's closing for the Mets in 2012.

As much as I like Minor, and I do, he would probably be a 5th starter on the Braves in a few years (I'm feeling depressed just writing that). They can stand to lose him.

Windu

Maxim726X said:
You don't need a great reliever. You need another arm to save Kimbrel and Venters from losing theirs.
we have no great Right handers besides kimbrel and fredi only likes to use him when there is a 3 run lead.

I'd rather the braves get a good RH reliever than a bat.

A Delaware judge has just rejected Frank McCourt's proposed $150 million bankruptcy financing plan for the Dodgers.

The circus continues. I feel really bad for Dodgers fans. This has to be a dark time right now, considering they were in the NLCS two seasons ago.

Windu said:
oh wow, Schafer not in the lineup for 2 nights in a row. Hallelujah!
Schafer is included in the deal, Mets OF Jason Pridie was shaking hands in the dugout st workout today.

EDIT: LOL
"According to two people in baseball familiar with the situation, the team reached out to Scott Boras … They were informed that Beltran would indeed be willing to consider the idea of re-signing with the Mets in the offseason, even if he is traded in the coming days.”

~ David Waldstein, New York Times
... they say Scott Boras' heart grew three sizes that day...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
At times, I wonder if some in the media are purposely trying to make more stat-conscious fans explode in rage.

vhGPt.jpg

Windu

Maxim726X said:
Vizcaino ain't going nowhere. Delgado isn't either.

Teheran is going to be a stud.

Minor would be a great pick up, and probably the most realistic one.
well i would rather trade Delgado than Minor. Minor and Vizcainio is a toss up, Vizcaino has the higher ceiling but i'm not sure he'll reach it. Probably going to end up as a late inning reliever which in that case Minor would be of course the better pitcher.

Honestly though, Beltran + Parnell for Minor is a fair deal which i would be okay with. Starters are twice as valuable as relievers.

Still think that deal favors the mets though.

Windu said:
well i would rather trade Delgado than Minor. Minor and Vizcainio is a toss up, Vizcaino has the higher ceiling but i'm not sure he'll reach it. Probably going to end up as a late inning reliever which in that case Minor would be of course the better pitcher.

Honestly though, Beltran + Parnell for Minor is a fair deal which i would be okay with. Starters are twice as valuable as relievers.
Mets won't trade Parnell, but take Byrdak instead.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Buster_ESPN

The Yankees called the Rays about James Shields and were told he is not available -- presumably to NYY, and BOS

That would be a trade that makes no sense to make within their own division.

Mets aren't going to trade Parnell. The entire reason they're keeping Izzy around is to groom Parnell. So now they're going to trade Parnell? I'm not buying it.

It might be Beltran + somebody else for Minor but I seriously doubt it's Parnell (and no chance in hell it's Harvey).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom