• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
darkside31337 said:
Buster_ESPN

The Yankees called the Rays about James Shields and were told he is not available -- presumably to NYY, and BOS

That would be a trade that makes no sense to make within their own division.

Mets aren't going to trade Parnell. The entire reason they're keeping Izzy around is to groom Parnell. So now they're going to trade Parnell? I'm not buying it.

It might be Beltran + somebody else for Minor but I seriously doubt it's Parnell (and no chance in hell it's Harvey).
well, then i hope Wren doesn't make a deal with the Mets.

edit: also Mike Minor > Matt Harvey

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dodgers' financing plan rejected:

DOVER, Del. -- A Delaware judge has rejected the Los Angeles Dodgers' proposed $150 million bankruptcy financing plan, a decision that likely will force the team to accept a financing offer from Major League Baseball.

The judge issued his eight-page decision Friday, two days after presiding over a hearing on the competing financing plans.

The team had sought approval of its proposed arrangement with hedge fund Highbridge Capital.

But the league, which has been locked in a bitter dispute with Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, countered with a competing plan that carried better financial terms.

The Dodgers rejected MLB's offer, saying it likely would result in legal battles and was an attempt by baseball commissioner Bud Selig to take control of the team and force a sale.

The decision comes after the Los Angeles Times obtained an 11-page letter in which Selig outlines the reasons that he shot down the Dodgers' proposed television deal with Fox and expresses concerns about an Internal Revenue Service investigation.

One big reason Selig cites for shooting down the TV deal is a lack of competition. The team's current deal with Fox expires in 2013 and the Dodgers cannot negotiate with other suitors until Nov. 30, 2012. Selig said that McCourt was willing to give away bargaining leverage because of a "desperate need for immediate cash."

"No other owner has sacrificed so much of his team's future for an immediate payoff," Selig wrote, according to the paper.

With McCourt and ex-wife Jamie embroiled in an ugly divorce, the Fox deal was supposed to infuse $385 million in cash into the financially strapped Dodgers. Selig argued that while that money might help pay down some debts, the franchise could be in another financial meltdown by 2013. According to the letter, Selig was shocked that McCourt reported only $264,000 in liquid assets as of Dec. 31, 2010.

"Despite your pledge to make the Dodgers the 'best franchise in baseball,' you are not selling the club's media rights ... to improve the club's on-field performance, renovate Dodger Stadium or enhance the fan experience," Selig wrote, according to the Times.

According to the letter obtained by the Times, Selig also learned that McCourt is being investigated by the IRS, specifically his tax returns from 2006-08. In a divorce filing, Jamie McCourt claimed that the couple did not pay federal or state income tax from 2004-09.

"What is more worrisome to me, however," Selig wrote, according to the Times, "is the thought of one of our owners engaging in a prolonged public dispute with the IRS."

Selig's letter says that McCourt knew that the Fox deal wasn't a good one. According to the Times, Selig cites the divorce testimony of Jeff Ingram, the Dodgers' assistant treasurer. He quoted McCourt as saying in 2009 that the Fox deal would "hamstring the business in the future."

verbum

Corran Horn said:
Id say we should give mccourt another chance. He has the potential to be a great owner!

I'm with you, the last thing the rest of us (not including the Phillies) need in the NL is a 200 million payroll run by people of competence.

eznark

Banned
Marleyman said:
I would be willing to give up Starling Marte, Tabata and something else for Beltran or Pence.

Sold. In. I'll do it now. No questions asked. Thank you very much. I think I might be obliged to ask...are you sober? /Alderson

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
Sold. In. I'll do it now. No questions asked. Thank you very much. I think I might be obliged to ask...are you sober? /Alderson

Pence especially; Beltran is more of a risk though. Who says Marte turns into anything? Prospects are always tough to predict. The Bucs are overachieving like a motherfucker this year; they need to ride this wave and make a move to bolster this lineup. Losing Marte and Tabata isn't going to fuck them long term; trust me.

eznark

Banned
Marleyman said:
Pence especially; Beltran is more of a risk though. Who says Marte turns into anything? Prospects are always tough to predict. The Bucs are overachieving like a motherfucker this year; they need to ride this wave and make a move to bolster this lineup. Losing Marte and Tabata isn't going to fuck them long term; trust me.

Losing three prospects (and one who looks gold and will be ready next year in Marte) for 3 months of Beltran isn't going to fuck them long term?

hahahahahahhahahahahaha

Marleyman

Banned
eznark said:
Losing three prospects (and one who looks gold and will be ready next year in Marte) for 3 months of Beltran isn't going to fuck them long term?

hahahahahahhahahahahaha

Like I said, I would prefer Pence in that deal. At least we could use him past this season, however making a run this year just seems to so damn enticing that I would pull some kind of deal.

Windu

While the pirates are playing the Braves and Phillies the Brewers will be playing the Astros and Cubs. I'm going to guess 3 games back at least for the pirates at the end of july.

verbum

Windu said:
While the pirates are playing the Braves and Phillies the Brewers will be playing the Astros and Cubs. I'm going to guess 3 games back at least for the pirates at the end of july.

August 12th, the Pirates at Milwaukee for 3 games. And August 22, the Brewers at Pittsburgh for 4 games. It seems as if August will be the big month for the Central Division. St. Louis could perk up and take the lead into September.

jakncoke

Banned
Marleyman said:
I would be willing to give up Starling Marte, Tabata and something else for Beltran or Pence.

2jcpli.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Marleyman said:

Dear god I wish you were Neal Huntington.

Honestly though if I were Neal I would be so willing to overpay for a guy like Beltran (but not that much) mainly because of the lack of job security.

It's a bit odd that their is no extension in place yet for him. If I were Neal I'd be busting my ass off this year to get into the playoffs to force Coonelly's hand into keeping me around.

1. Jose Reyes SS
2. Justin Turner 2B
3. Carlos Beltran RF
4. David Wright 3B
5. Daniel Murphy 1B
6. Angel Pagan CF
7. Lucas Duda LF
8. Ronny Paulino C
yeah YEAH!!
The Padres announced that the Mets claimed outfielder/first baseman Mike Baxter off of waivers. The Padres also officially announced that they have recalled Kyle Blanks from Triple-A (as Tim Dierkes reported yesterday) and optioned Anthony Rizzo to Tucson.

Baxter, 26, had been rehabbing from a stint on the 60-day DL at Class A. The Padres placed him on the disabled list in March after he underwent surgery to repair a torn left thumb ligament. The Queens native has a .278/.349/.423 line in parts of seven seasons in the Padres' system. The former fourth round pick had 18 homers with a .301/.382/.517 line at Triple-A last year, when current Mets executive Paul DePodesta worked for the Padres.

verbum

Fuck Fredi Gonzalez. Runners on first and second, no outs. He lets Alex Gonzalez swing away and Alex hits into a double play. Where was the fucking bunt? Stupid asshole manager.
Get the runners over to 2nd and 3rd, then Conrad and McLouth have a chance to get something in. I'm starting the "Freedom From Fredi" movement (FFF).

Windu

verbum said:
Fuck Fredi Gonzalez. Runners on first and second, no outs. He lets Alex Gonzalez swing away and Alex hits into a double play. Where was the fucking bunt? Stupid asshole manager.
Get the runners over to 2nd and 3rd, then Conrad and McLouth have a chance to get something in. I'm starting the "Freedom From Fredi" movement (FFF).
that was actually the correct strategy. bunting would have decreased our run expectancy.

edit: ok, well it would probably have increased our chances of scoring one run by a small amount but its not worth it imo this early in the game.

2mg9j0n.png

http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4190

http://tangotiger.net/re24.html

but yes, as AnEternalEnigma says, Gonzo just need to stop sucking.

edit 2:

The following table presents the average number of runs that scored, from that base/out state, to the end of that inning.

0zUcH.png

so yeah, it increases your chance to score one run slightly, and decreases the overall run expectancy in the inning.

verbum said:

Or maybe Alex Gonzalez should just stop sucking total ass.

bean breath said:
I read this in Magic Johnson's voice from that sound byte in the promo before games on ABC. That's what you meant, right? You're a big Lakers fan, I presume.
rocko.jpg

Mike Pelfrey is so BAD. I know it's Stanton, but Paulino sets up for sinker outside corner. Pelfrey throws something up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom