• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
Uh, if they won the WS and Ubaldo is a big part of it, it's one of the GOAT trades in Cleveland history. Flags fly forever. Ubaldo would get a statue built the day after they won in a city like Cleveland.
That has little to do with it. They gave up a ton...it was a desperation trade. Are the Indians good enough to even make the playoffs? We will see, but it will have some Indians fans scratching their heads possibly at the close.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ninja Scooter said:
Always wondered if Dodger D would be better with Gwynn Jr at Center and Kemp in Left. Can Gwynn play CF?
yep, very good defender in center.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
That has little to do with it. They gave up a ton...it was a desperation trade. Are the Indians good enough to even make the playoffs? We will see, but it will have some Indians fans scratching their heads possibly at the close.

To be fair they get 2.5 years of Ubaldo at a very, very, affordable price.

It wasn't just a move made as a win now move.

And are they good enough to make the playoffs? They play in the AL Central. You really don't have to be good to make the playoffs.

ToxicAdam

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

It's not like this is a rental. The Indians have control of Ubaldo for two more seasons for 11 million total. If they need to, they can flip him for prospects in 2013, if they are not in contention.

At the age of 27, Jiminez is now the oldest starter on this team. The window to win is now. Choo, Sizemore and Hafner will all be gone in a couple years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
...but if they don't need to be good why do they need Ubaldo?

Because it'll help increase the odds of getting in and then actually doing something when they're in there?

Adding Ubaldo is a bigger deal precisely because you play in the AL Central, a division where not a single team in it has a positive run differential.

the other obvious scenario is if the Indians don't get better, but Ubaldo does, than you can flip him next season or the season after for maybe better prospects? Worst case is obviously if Ubaldo falls off big time and you get nothing for 2 and a half mediocre years.

rc213

Windu said:
Kemp is horrible in center. Also, upton is pretty good..
Screw Matt Kemps defense. Let's talk about how bad you have to be that Juan Rivera comes in takes at bats from you. lol

Bills is still a head case.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ninja Scooter said:
the other obvious scenario is if the Indians don't get better, but Ubaldo does, than you can flip him next season or the season after for maybe better prospects? Worst case is obviously if Ubaldo falls off big time and you get nothing for 2 and a half mediocre years.
Can you really flip him for better than 4 of your top/toppish prospects? Unless they can get back 1 stud or something.

This deal makes a ridiculous amount of sense because he's signed through 2013 (well, option).

But I can't figure out why the rockies traded him. Do they really not think they have a shot before 2013?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Y2Kev said:
Can you really flip him for better than 4 of your top/toppish prospects? Unless they can get back 1 stud or something.

This deal makes a ridiculous amount of sense because he's signed through 2013 (well, option).

But I can't figure out why the rockies traded him. Do they really not think they have a shot before 2013?

Which begs the question just how worried / how much are they hiding regarding his health?

There really was no reason to be so desperate to get rid of him at this point.

Sanjuro

None of these deals make sense to me. We get Harden, he comes injury prone posting say a four ERA. Tell me why Kevin Milwood could not accomplish the same?

Our biggest obstacle is having Lackey in the rotation and not obtaining some veteran fielder. Reddick is having an AMAZING season to date. I still would want some insurance out there. McDonald is an embarrassing backup.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Storen is in Span trade. Hangup is over other player(s) in deal between #Nats, #Twins. #tradedeadline

!!!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joey Fox said:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Storen is in Span trade. Hangup is over other player(s) in deal between #Nats, #Twins. #tradedeadline

!!!

So in other words Bill Smith will give up Span + other pieces for Storen.

Yep.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
darkside31337 said:
So in other words Bill Smith will give up Span + other pieces for Storen.

Yep.

Seems like the Twins want more than just Storen for Span, actually. Not sure what will happen today.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah it's a huge move landing Bourn.

Bill Smith should have some leverage now with Span, maybe he won't be so desperate to ship him out of town for a reliever now.

Sharp

darkside31337 said:
Yeah it's a huge move landing Bourn.

Bill Smith should have some leverage now with Span, maybe he won't be so desperate to ship him out of town for a reliever now.
Considering the Nats are the only team he's seriously negotiating with, I'm gonna go ahead and say yes he should be desperate.

Enron

Banned
8:59am: The Astros will receive center fielder Jordan Schafer, southpaw Double-A starter Brett Oberholtzer, righty Double-A starter Paul Clemens, and righty Triple-A reliever Juan Abreu, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark.

Excellent!

Oberholtzer is a decent prospect, but all of the braves big-time prospects stay and we finally get a leadoff hitter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Braves also getting some money from the Astros in the Bourn deal.

Ed Wade sure likes giving money to other teams. What a friendly and charitable guy.

Sanjuro

Goodnight Sweet Alien

gmxVS.gif

Drek

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
None of these deals make sense to me. We get Harden, he comes injury prone posting say a four ERA. Tell me why Kevin Milwood could not accomplish the same?

Our biggest obstacle is having Lackey in the rotation and not obtaining some veteran fielder. Reddick is having an AMAZING season to date. I still would want some insurance out there. McDonald is an embarrassing backup.
Through July (the time in which Reddick established himself as the every day RF for now and Crawford got off the DL) McDonald as a slash of .276/.400/.586. Despite having a bad year overall to this point he's still got a slash of .212/.293/.442 against lefties, with a three year lefties slash of .312/.373/.473. We'll be fine with McDonald as a lefties on part timer.

Lackey has been solid if unspectacular with only one truly bad outing since June 29th, a period of six starts. Three of those qualify as a quality start, two others would be if he'd recorded just one more out. He's not the biggest problem in the rotation right now.

Andrew Miller is the real issue. He's getting by with smoke and mirrors against bad teams. He's a walk machine who gives up gopher balls when he is forced to come at pitchers. He's got potential but he's by far the weakest rotational link right now on the Sox. He was called up too quickly because he could walk if they didn't, but now he needs to get back to AAA and sort shit out again.

Its all irrelevant for now though. Becks, Lester, Lackey, Wake, and Miller with Aceves picking up the tail end of games for the last three is good enough to win the division with this offense, and come September Miller, Dubront, etc. can all help pitch in to find some additional starting options. The big question is if Buchholz will be healthy in time to get sharp before post-season play. If not they need a Harden/Bedard/Kuroda type to be the #3 starter.

Sanjuro

It doesn't sound like Buch will be back for this season, so I'm kind of writing him off.

Miller is what he is. With this offense, he often puts us in a position to win. He isn't spectacular but he isn't complete hot garbage either. Number five? He is absolutely serviceable.

I practically hate everything about Lackey. Sure he has been having some better starts recently. Isn't going to change he is highly unreliable at his position, has a poor attitude, and just overall looks like a complete dolt on the mound.

Darnell reconditioned himself in the off-season for more playing time, he hasn't gotten that or the plate appearances. He is the worst defensively out there and is still a liability at the plate. I would still like to have some sort of backup around regardless.

Drew I think may have gone back into the cornfields. Reddick is proving himself everyday. He has a cannon of an arm and a hot bat, but I still would like some insurance going towards the finish line. Even say a Coco Crisp would be preferable. Some speed, familiarity, switch hitter who is able to give some productivity as well as solid defense.

Maxim726X

dmag1223 said:
Man, the Astros lineup is going to be a complete joke without Bourn and Pence.

How you trade Bourn for prospects that don't include the best the Braves have to offer is ridiculous... They still have all four pitching prospects. Weird.

McNei1y

Hopefully Rizzo doesn't get tricked this year like the Twins did last year. Stay strong! Just send them Storen!

mlbtr:
10:43am: ESPN's Tim Kurkjian tweets that the chances of a Storen/Span deal are less than 50/50. The Nationals are still in the mix for B.J. Upton.

dammit just get us a CF that can play.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
McNei1y said:
Hopefully Rizzo doesn't get tricked this year like the Twins did last year. Stay strong! Just send them Storen!

If the Nats sent Storen + some mid-tier prospect for Span it'd still be a steal.

There's almost no way to lose a Storen + whatever for Span deal for the Nats.

People lined up 2hrs before the gates opened here at Rogers Centre. All for a fucking bobble head. Grabbed myself a program. That's all I need.

McNei1y

darkside31337 said:
If the Nats sent Storen + some mid-tier prospect for Span it'd still be a steal.

There's almost no way to lose a Storen + whatever for Span deal for the Nats.

I'm just not trying to trade Lombardozzi. He's going to be a beast.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
vas_a_morir said:
Reds GOTTA trade Hernandez. He's got a lot of value right now.

Not gonna happen. Reds should trade Hernandez and call up Mesoraco but they won't do it because they're "in the race" and you have to have a veteran catcher according to Dusty.

darkside31337 said:
Not gonna happen. Reds should trade Hernandez and call up Mesoraco but they won't do it because they're "in the race" and you have to have a veteran catcher according to Dusty.

I would be surprised if they didn't do anything. It's Jocketty's decision in the end, after all.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Brett Oberholtzer and Paul Clemens are pretty decent prospects, they were in the 2nd teir of pitchers behind Teheran, Delgado and Vizcaino. Juan Abreu looked good out of the pen in his debut the other day, hopefully wren doesn't stop and gets a good righty and then calls up Viscanio to add to the pen. Best part about this trade is no more Schafer in the leadoff spot. Also, Capitol Avenue Club ranked Oberholtzer #9, Paul Clemens #10 and Juan Abreu #20 in their mid-season rankings. http://capitolavenueclub.com/?p=4596 Anyway, good deal. Wren successfully raised the price for Beltran and Pence and got Bourn for significantly less who i think is a better option than both of them.

Doytch

Is it just me or is this trade deadline pretty crazy? Rasmus, Ubaldo, Pence, Beltran, Bourn, maybe Upton and Heath plus all the requisite relievers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's been wild how it went from nothing happening a week ago to a crapload of trades in rapid fire over the past few days.

Seems like almost all the deals that were to be made have been made though now, with the exception of some relievers. Kinda sets up an underwhelming last few hours but I'm hoping for a huge shocker or two.

ToxicAdam

Doytch said:
Is it just me or is this trade deadline pretty crazy? Rasmus, Ubaldo, Pence, Beltran, Bourn, maybe Upton and Heath plus all the requisite relievers.

Yea, Beltran and Bell represent your typical deadline deal type of contracts. All these other guys are anomalies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Bye Bourn :(

Fuck this is depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom