• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

C4Lukins

Kusagari said:
Yeah, when I realized that I was shocked. This is just extremely disappointing for GTA4 with all the expectations.

It did just fine. Almost 4 million in a week only using the US and UK numbers.

batbeg

Deadly Monk said:
Name 5 good games for the Wii that have any depth to them at all that have been released within the past 5 months. Thanks.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Also, I told you like over a week ago, your avatar is over the limit and you will get it taken away if you don't fix it :-\

Pimpbaa

laserbeam said:
I dont get why people are so shocked about the Failure of the Playstation brands dominance.

The Wii IS this generations PS2. Its the Casual Gamers mega system. PS3 went total opposite of the PS2s purpose and is now religated to a niche system much like the gamecube.

I enjoy my Wii and the games i buy. Doesnt it have everything id like? No of course not but what it offers that I buy are good games that keep me happy.

How can the Wii be this generations PS2 with such lousy 3rd party support? And when a good 3rd party game does come out, stupid Wii owners don't buy it.

Sharp

Shaheed79 said:
I just realized that my dad purchased a Wii AND Mario Kart. He lied and said it was for someone else but he hooked it up in his master bedroom. Something weird is happening to this world.
Yeah seriously he shouldn't have it before I do.
Pimpbaa said:
How can the Wii be this generations PS2 with such lousy 3rd party support? And when a good 3rd party game does come out, stupid Wii owners don't buy it.
They're actually pretty good about buying quality 3rd party games in the West, with a few notable exceptions. That may just be because the number of quality 3rd party games is so low though.

So, we've already gotten the "But the PS3 and 360 cost more" , (despite the biggest HD game of the gen coming out) and "We're in a recession" arguments, and the "The Wii has no good (3rd party) games", so what's next?

{Mike}

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
I just realized that my dad purchased a Wii AND Mario Kart. He lied and said it was for someone else but he hooked it up in his master bedroom. Something weird is happening to this world.
SP310.gif

Htown said:
If it has games you love, how is it a piece of shit?

because outside of boom blox, i'm just playing the same fucking nintendo games over and over.
yes, i know i'm a hypocrite because the other 5 games I own for the system are nintendo games and i've had a total blast with them, but still...
I've had a lot more fun with my 360 and ps3 than I have with Wii.

Maybe I'm just a graphics whore? Maybe I'm extremely disappointed with WFC? Maybe I still think motion controls are a gimmick, because for the wii's (arguaubly) best game, super mario galaxy, there isn't a single thing you can do in the game that you wouldn't be able to do with a traditional controller?

jacobs34 said:
Who needs to play video games when we have threads like these! I root for the sales of the Wii just to see what it does to bitter fanboys when the NPD numbers come out. It truly is the best entertainment one can find on a Thursday afternoon.

I've ignored these threads for the most part for the better part of a year or more. I don't know why I have deprived myself so.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
These numbers pretty much defy all common sense.

Holy shit.

The 360\PS3 numbers are quite normal for this month. The problem is that this month has neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever seen a release as big as GTA4.

Wow.

Wow. Wow.

Off Topic:

could anyone link me to the thread that shows Nintendo,Sony, and MS Total Earrings and losses for each year since 98. or at least the title so i can search for it. Thank you.

Slavik81

Maybe after this and Halo people might realise that systems sell games, not the inverse.

Just under 3 million copies of GTAIV sold this month and the number of consoles sold dropped. Halo didn't even manage to push the 360's sales by more than a few hundred thousand.

And yet, simply because the Wii is more popular than ever before, Metroid Prime 3 is the best-selling entry in its series.

jacobs34

Cow Mengde said:
Because the Xbox 360 has real exclusive games that aren't watered down PC ports. :lol

Yes, YES! Now this is what I'm talking about! Hold on, I need to go grab some popcorn and a coke. Please continue....

Lightning

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
So, we've already gotten the "But the PS3 and 360 cost more" , (despite the biggest HD game of the gen coming out) and "We're in a recession" arguments, and the "The Wii has no good (3rd party) games", so what's next?
Different market? :lol

I love this. Pure joy.

Plinko said:
I will never understand the hate Nintendo gets for expanding the market to appeal to more than just the ages 18-34 male demographic.

The "hardcore gamer" elitist crowd always shows up infuriated in these threads. It's quite precious.

Just wait a decade. Once everybody buys their blu-ray players you won't be smiling. Decade life cycle ftw ;)

teasing of course.

Concept17 said:
Not really given what the Wii actually IS. Its much different this gen than it was last. Theres still a huge price barrier.

My gosh you don't give up do you.

The Xbox 360 Arcade is only 30 dollars more expensive then the Wii.

Microsoft could drop the price right now and it would do nothing.

Both the Gamecube and Xbox were more powerful then the PS2, and were cheaper (At least, in Gamecube's case, not sure about Xbox) and yet still sold less then the PS2. Why? Because the PS2 had built up a level of momentum that could not, The momentum for the PS2 fueled the grown of more momentum. Essentially creating a sort of perpetual motion machine in the market.

The same thing has happened to the Wii, price matters nothing right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i just wonder if boom blox is going to sell well. i need more good games on the wii dont really care about all this other nonsense.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pimpbaa said:
And when a good 3rd party game does come out, stupid Wii owners don't buy it.

When seeing most of the shit that has come out from the Wii by third parties, I imagine most would be damn careful. Besides, which you can't use one or two actually decent third party efforts to make a point. Something like Okami bombed even on the almighty 100 million PS2 userbase.

Kusagari

Sony and MS need to get Hillary Clinton's advisers to spin this loss.

Terry McAuliffe: PS3 IS STILL OUTSELLING WII IN PUERTO RICO!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Shaheed79 said:

im as hardcore as the next guy but im loving wiimania :D

cant wait for them hardcore 3rd party gems :D

laserbeam

Banned
Shaheed79 said:

Thats the Wii is this Gen PS2 proof. Hardcore gamers think way too highly of ourselves in terms of system sales. We are but a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall system sales for teach Generations Mega system.

The Most hardcore games of last generation barely reached the 8-10% of consoles sold mark on the PS2.

Its the Moms and Dads and other people who we dont expect to be gamers or have any interest that are the majority. Nintendo simply made it hip and cool for those people so its not hidden anymore

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
j-wood said:
That's just it man. Wii is not gaming to me.

Wii has had some of the best gaming yet this year so far I'd argue. NMH, Okami, MK Wii online, Boom Blox, and Brawl.

Year of the PS3?? Pfft...HSG5 is a mere diversion so far.

Sharp

traynuvthawt said:
because outside of boom blox, i'm just playing the same fucking nintendo games over and over.
yes, i know i'm a hypocrite because the other 5 games I own for the system are nintendo games and i've had a total blast with them, but still...

Maybe I'm just a graphics whore? Maybe I'm extremely disappointed with WFC? Maybe I still think motion controls are a gimmick, because for the wii's (arguaubly) best game, super mario galaxy, there isn't a single thing you can do in the game that you wouldn't be able to do with a traditional controller?
There's nothing you can do with an analog stick that you can't do with a d-pad, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. And apparently PES:Wii is a pretty good showcase of Wii controls making a real difference. Was it worth not supporting HD? Probably not, but at the time Nintendo had no idea how successful it would be.

j-wood said:
That's just it man. Wii is not gaming to me.

WTF. Seriously. I can understand your point, but now you're forgetting Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros: two of the best games of this generation (Galaxy still the best for me until now). It's not all crap.

jjgames said:
Every major 3rd party will announce some big budget Wii game by the end of this year. That is my prediction.

Which is why hardcore gaming won't die. Hardcore gamers will pick up a Wii as they follow their favorite franchizes. And some casual gamers who started gaming with Wii Sports and graduated to Mario Kart, will slowly move on to more complex games.

Anyone who thinks that a company that loves money as much as Nintendo does would ignore the hardcore market is just being naive.

Davidion

traynuvthawt said:

So the games are awesome and fun, yet it's all still shitty.

Woo-hah! :lol

Jokeropia

Concept17 said:
Not really given what the Wii actually IS. Its much different this gen than it was last. Theres still a huge price barrier.
No there isn't. In fact, in most of the world it's price advantage is equal or lower than the GC's was last generation. Wii is more expensive at this point in time than the PS2 was after the same amount of time last gen.

FrankT

Sean said:
Remember when Pachter said less than two months ago (on GameTrailers Bonus Round) that April sales would be Xbox 350k vs PS3 500k? So much for that. :lol

Yea his upgrade theory is totally out the window at this point. I do hope he has come to see this from here on out. It will get better, it will get better. Actually not anytime soon. His updated figures were better, but I wonder at what point he went from 500k to 290k. However, the bigger point is people are not upgrading to PS3 with GTA IV and they are definitely not upgrading to a point of selling 500k in May or June and on down the line.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Because the Xbox 360 has real exclusive games that aren't watered down PC ports. :lol

... It does.

Name 5 good games for the Wii that have any depth to them at all that have been released within the past 5 months. Thanks.

Uh. Smash Bros.

You're both very bad at trolling.

Top Bottom