• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Arde5643

Xeke said:
You're all so ridiculous and it finally shows. You're basically WV voters and the Wii is Obama.:lol :lol
So GAF is the MyDD of the console world? I'm hoping for at least it comes close to HuffPo instead... :(

Does this mean PS3forums is Hillaryis44?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Absinthe said:
Metal Gear 4 is a different animal. It may be the most important exclusive game to come out this year besides Resistance 2. I don't think it's going to move a ton of PS3 units, but there will at least be some sort of bump. It won't matter because Wii Fit will be out by then, however. I think people are delusional if they don't think that Metal Gear 4 will at least contribute to a small bump. I also think it easily sells 750 K its first month.

You sound like you are trying to convince yourself of this. Of the three games that people tried to put together for Sony with GTA4, GT5P and MGS4, in terms of retail power going on previous experiences, MGS is the weakest link. The most important exclusive for the remainder of this year, in accordance to sales is Gears of War. If you are talking about the PS3, then it is Resistance 2. Konami should do backflips if MGS4 breaks 500k.

Zerachiel said:
MS and Sony have continued to produce great software; this is the best generation in recent memory. What they haven't done is produce cheap enough consoles to get a lot of people onboard.
the core with HD graphics and 256 mem card is $30 bucks more than the wii and it includes 5 arcade games. price is not the issue, the wii is winning because of motiion control is new and unique to most people.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
quest said:
349 dollars is hardly normal range. Now if MS got off their collective asses and lowered the price to 249 for the pro and 179 for the arcade more normal pricing then we might see consistant 100k sales a week. The market has been sucked dry for those willing to buy 350+ dollar machines.

You know what I'm thinking. Microsoft knows this and they are just wringing out the customers at every price level before Sony gets there. So when Sony does get there, Microsoft has tapped most of the market. Either that or it is all about profitability, but when going for profitability, you still do some of my first option.

Nocebo

What's the meltdown count so far? :lol
I'd hate to be an analyst this generation, this crap is just crazy. I'm looking forward to E3. Hopefuly 3rd parties are starting to wake up.
There are already some people getting it: boomblox, alone in the dark, force unleashed, monster hunter 3, deadly creatures...

Is it just me or does this feel like DS all over again?

Zerachiel

Slavik81 said:
You're right. That is an excellent point, and I certainly didn't forget that. The theory assumes that we have a reasonable understanding of when their projects are greenlit based on their announcement dates. Fortunately, Microsoft leaks like a sieve, and because of that, their announcement dates are forced to be relatively early. As such, it's roughly applicable to them.

It cannot be used to gauge Nintendo, as their announcements have no relation to their project schedules. Nearly nothing about their future commitment to the platform can really be determined by looking at their new announcements. There are rarely leaks, and so they can better keep projects secret to announce them at more opportune times and the correlation is lost.

They wouldn't be launching Brawl, Mario Kart, and Wiifit within 3 months of each other unless they had something spectacular up their sleeves for the second half of this year. It may not be something the hardcore will be interested in, but it will sell boatloads.

DataBot

Agent Icebeezy said:
You sound like you are trying to convince yourself of this. Of the three games that people tried to put together for Sony with GTA4, GT5P and MGS4, in terms of retail power going on previous experiences, MGS is the weakest link. The most important exclusive for the remainder of this year, in accordance to sales is Gears of War. If you are talking about the PS3, then it is Resistance 2. Konami should do backflips if MGS4 breaks 500k.
Nah dont say that we want to see some shocked faces coming NPDs.

Slavik81 said:
You're right. That is an excellent point, and I certainly didn't forget that. The theory assumes that we have a reasonable understanding of when their projects are greenlit based on their announcement dates. Fortunately, Microsoft leaks like a sieve, and because of that, their announcement dates are forced to be relatively early. As such, it's roughly applicable to them.

so could you give me some information on Ninja blade?

Nocebo said:

At least third parties assumed "A Nintendo handheld...why, we can sell games on that!"

A Nintendo home console has been a no-go zone for over a decade, lets face it.

Sadist

It's to bad I have class in a few minutes, because I wanted to read the meltdowns :D

But in short: WOW NINTENDO. YOU ARE THE KING. ACCEPT YOUR CROWN

Nocebo

Scottlarock said:
the core with HD graphics and 256 mem card is $30 bucks more than the wii and it includes 5 arcade games. price is not the issue, the wii is winning because of motiion control is new and unique to most people.
No, it's not the motion control. That would be a overly simplistic explation. It's actually the whole concept of accessable gaming, pick up and play fun. Motion controls are simply a result of that line of thinking.

:lol

All this doomsday talk is the funniest shit ever. And the funniest part is, it reminds me of myself and others, years ago:

20010606h.gif

I was never as paranoid as some of these crazies, though: I knew there'd always be games I liked. I just had a little hurt pride that the industry would favor a larger demographic over nerds like me.

Anyway, guys, if gaming is dying (by the way, it isn't), shouldn't you be savoring these last moments, instead of crying on GAF?

Zerachiel

Scottlarock said:

Wii is an anomaly and would probably be selling at 350.

Fact of the matter is, 280 for a gimped SKU is way too freaking expensive for 2 and a half years into the generation, especially since it seems that no one actually wants the gimped SKU but will always go for the 350 version.

Nocebo

TheGreatDave said:
At least third parties assumed "A Nintendo handheld...why, we can sell games on that!"

A Nintendo home console has been a no-go zone for over a decade, lets face it.
True. But I thought third party support was very slow on the uptake on DS as well? I could be remembering wrong.

Slavik81

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
the game isnt made by rare its made by a 3rd party company and the game is supposed to be out this summer.

Thanks
Oh. It was leaked with some Rare stuff, so I figured it was from Rare.
In fact, my post doesn't even make sense. It was leaked. I'd thought your implication was that they managed to keep it top-secret (which I see now that they did not).

Why did you bring it up? It helps prove my point.

Xeke

Banned
Nocebo said:
True. But I thought third party support was very slow on the uptake on DS as well? I could be remembering wrong.

Yeah. People here are bitter and cling to their HD when times are rough.

BlackGoku03 said:
Maybe the GTA IV hardware spike for the 360/PS3 won't be seen until next month? GTA IV came out at the end of the month... I don't know...

I'm struggling to see why the numbers are low. I thought it was a mistake at first.

However, I will say that lately, a lot of people have been buying consoles with GTA at my store. 360 and PS3.

Also, the tax stimulus didn't start pouring out until May 2nd.
That's gotta be it.
Right?

Yeah, those 3 million people who bought it this month didn't buy a system yet. They got the game, but need their tax check before they can afford the console. Sounds reasonable.

Or, maybe GTA IV will buck the overwhelming trend and sell more its second month than the first, and this time, people buying it will also buy consoles. Could happen.

I suppose we can wait one more month before declaring the Wii victorious. Yes, let's not be hasty.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Scottlarock said:

I am sorry but no one wants to spend 280 dollars on a gimped product. Now if the arcade was sub 200 dollars that would be another story. People would rather spend the exta 70 and get a non gimped SKU. Pricing is an issue and it will be proven once some one at MS finally gets a clue and drops the price. The war is over the Wii has won but the 360 and PS3 could still have a very nice 100k a week sales if they were not priced so high especially the 360.

Slavik81 said:
Oh. It was leaked with some Rare stuff, so I figured it was from Rare.
In fact, my post doesn't even make sense. It was leaked. I'd thought your implication was that they managed to keep it top-secret.

Why did you bring it up?

because only thing leaked was the name no information on it. and you said MS leaks a lot of information about their games so i wanted to know if you could tell me about it.

or could you tell me about the other games MS has in the works that Shane Kim spoke about in his recent interview( they also said they have more to show for the fall)

Nocebo said:
What's the meltdown count so far? :lol
I'd hate to be an analyst this generation, this crap is just crazy. I'm looking forward to E3. Hopefuly 3rd parties are starting to wake up.
There are already some people getting it: boomblox, alone in the dark, force unleashed, monster hunter 3, deadly creatures...

What gets me is that people act like the third party situation will NEVER change, despite all evidence to the contrary.

P.S. you forgot Fatal Frame and Mad World :p

Nocebo said:

No, you're not.

Without a pricedrop Sony wont reach their 10m target for 2008, and 360 sales are even worse. They can talk about their long term businessplan and profitability over marketshare all they want, but I don't believe they are happy with such low sales.

Next generation the consoles will be much cheaper.

beef3483

Leondexter said:
:lol

All this doomsday talk is the funniest shit ever. And the funniest part is, it reminds me of myself and others, years ago:

20010606h.gif

I was never as paranoid as some of these crazies, though: I knew there'd always be games I liked. I just had a little hurt pride that the industry would favor a larger demographic over nerds like me.

Anyway, guys, if gaming is dying (by the way, it isn't), shouldn't you be savoring these last moments, instead of crying on GAF?

:lol :lol :lol

It really is history repeating itself, except that Nintendo is now Sony while Sony is now Nintendo.

Zhengi

Nintendo must have created a virtual Eternal Darkness game that has engorged reality. The sanity meter right now is maxed out x 10000 so we're experiencing some weird stuff.

Let's just all say the magic words and go back to reality.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!!!

DataBot

Leondexter said:
Yeah, those 3 million people who bought it this month didn't buy a system yet. They got the game, but need their tax check before they can afford the console. Sounds reasonable.

Or, maybe GTA IV will buck the overwhelming trend and sell more its second month than the first, and this time, people buying it will also buy consoles. Could happen.

I suppose we can wait one more month before declaring the Wii victorious. Yes, let's not be hasty.

Zerachiel said:
Wii is an anomaly and would probably be selling at 350.

Fact of the matter is, 280 for a gimped SKU is way too freaking expensive for 2 and a half years into the generation, especially since it seems that no one actually wants the gimped SKU but will always go for the 350 version.
ummm, the wii is a GC+/ which GC was selling for $99 when it launched, and the wii is still selling for the same price. the 360 is gimped? it can play every 360 HD game (GTA, Gears, Lost Odyessey, Halo3) just fine and in HD and is only $30 bucks more then the Wii. The Wii sells because of motion control and wii sports.

Slavik81

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
ok so what about the other projects they have in the works?
Not all games have to be leaked to prove my point. I only said that the leaks influence how they announce titles, making it more closely correlated to the project's creation. Not that every title is leaked before its announced.

They announce earlier in part to preempt the leaks. There are other marketing reasons as well, that cause the game announcement to be earlier and more standardized than with Nintendo. Their marketing waystones are in touch with their early development waystones, while Nintendo's marketing milestones are largely independent of their early development milestones.

It isn't a hard-and-fast rule, though. They don't always follow the same sort of marketing plan. Like I said, it was a rough measure.

The western ds support never came up to quality and the wii efforts outside of wiiware wont either. Japanese support will materialize in droves in the coming months Im sure.

MisterHero

beef3483 said:
:lol :lol :lol

It really is history repeating itself, except that Nintendo is now Sony while Sony is now Nintendo.
No, Nintendo fanboys are taking over, what with Smash Bros. and all that.

We are the Kings of Being-turned-into-Eggplants once more!

Zerachiel said:
MS and Sony have continued to produce great software; this is the best generation in recent memory.

I completely disagree with this. Neither the PS3 or 360 has more than a handful of games I'd buy at full price, or even half price.

The 360 library in particular has been way too reliant on shooters, sports and driving games.

I'll easily take the software library of the Wii over that of the HD consoles.

Nocebo

kame-sennin said:
What gets me is that people act like the third party situation will NEVER change, despite all evidence to the contrary.

P.S. you forgot Fatal Frame and Mad World :p
Shit. Totally forgot about those! They should definitely be mentioned as much as possible too. The funny thing about the anti-wii people or whatever saying that 3rd parties are still ignoring the wii is that anti-wii people usually don't tend to follow wii news, so how would they know?

Boom blox, Fatal Frame, Mad World, Deadly Creatures, Alone in the Dark, Force Unleashed, Monster Hunter 3, Family Skii, Prize Fighter, and not to mention plenty of awesome WiiWare efforts, certainly indicate 3rd parties are noticing the Wii.
This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure someone else could come up with a better list of promising / high profile of released/upcoming Wii titles.

Owzers

dead souls said:
I completely disagree with this. Neither the PS3 or 360 has more than a handful of games I'd buy at full price, or even half price.

The 360 library in particular has been way too reliant on shooters, sports and driving games.

I'll easily take the software library of the Wii over that of the HD consoles.

I hate the bolded comment. *throws food* It's just so terribly wrong.

Grecco said:
Its Anectodal evidence. The Reality is that its selling to all sorts of gamers. Not Just Casuals. Not Just Core. Thats why its so popular. It trancends genres and its going to win this gen.

Exactly. Is that not what I said?

Thats a terrible list. Resort to wiiware lineup if you must, but mentioning deadly creatures (looks cool but a nonfactor) and prizefighter is really scraping the bottom of the barrell.
At the very least acknowledge We Love Golf.

Eteric Rice said:
I pretty much disagree with everything you're saying. Things will probably start to change when the Wii catches up to the PS3 and 360 combined, which may not take very long at all.

At least in Japan, America probably not.

You didn't explain at all what you disagree with and why.

Also, you seem to be a Wii fan and half of my post is my opinion that the Wii is a great thing for the industry. Explain your logic again? Do you seriously disagree with me that 3rd parties are putting their best efforts and talents on the next-gen consoles?

Top Bottom