• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
dead souls said:
I completely disagree with this. Neither the PS3 or 360 has more than a handful of games I'd buy at full price, or even half price.

The 360 library in particular has been way too reliant on shooters, sports and driving games.

I'll easily take the software library of the Wii over that of the HD consoles.

You haven't been looking hard enough then. This is far from being true.

Nocebo

EmCeeGramr said:
Thats a terrible list. Resort to wiiware lineup if you must, but mentioning deadly creatures (looks cool but a nonfactor) and prizefighter is really scraping the bottom of the barrell.
At the very least acknowledge We Love Golf.
Only two out of the rest you don't agree with so it makes the whole list terrible? I mentioned prize fighter because it incorporates the wiibalance board. Meaning that there's a strong indication the balance board won't become some useless peripheral sitting around collecting dust when people are done with wiifit, for the simple fact that even Prize Fighter, as a low profile game takes notice of it!
Also why is Deadly Creatures such a nonfactor? Please explain. It looks like a solid title with lots of effort going into it. Regardless of its sales potential, that developer is taking the Wii seriously, aren't they?
That's what the list is about. I listed indicators of 3rd parties taking notice of the Wii.

dead souls said:
I completely disagree with this. Neither the PS3 or 360 has more than a handful of games I'd buy at full price, or even half price.

The 360 library in particular has been way too reliant on shooters, sports and driving games.

I'll easily take the software library of the Wii over that of the HD consoles.

Because there aren't a ton of shooters, sports, and driving games on the Wii, PS3, or every other console ever made? Also, the 360 has had a lot more variety in its lineup than the PS3, especially in regards to Japanese RPGs, surprisingly enough.

Also, I'm not going to start a list war or anything, but there are dozens of good games on the HD systems (arcade and retail) that don't fall into the three categories above. You're repeating a stupid meme with no facts to back yourself up.

Eteric Rice

EmCeeGramr said:
The western ds support never came up to quality and the wii efforts outside of wiiware wont either. Japanese support will materialize in droves in the coming months Im sure.

Which I will be completely fine with.

DataBot said:
Who cares? Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Rockstar, and pretty much everyone in this thread.

Vilix said:
Tax stimulous check unavaliable, could not buy next gen game/console?......................check
It's not an excuse or even an attempt to defend a company's product(s), just a mere observation that I've sold a lot of 360's and PS3's along with GTA IV since the checks started rolling out.

It would be interesting to find out if this is a trend across the country and not just my rinky-dink town.

Leondexter said:
Yeah, those 3 million people who bought it this month didn't buy a system yet. They got the game, but need their tax check before they can afford the console. Sounds reasonable.
Look above man. I never said people bought the game and no system. I'm just suggesting that maybe some people were waiting for their check to jump in. Maybe not. I was just pointing out an observation.

Or, maybe GTA IV will buck the overwhelming trend and sell more its second month than the first, and this time, people buying it will also buy consoles. Could happen.

I suppose we can wait one more month before declaring the Wii victorious. Yes, let's not be hasty.
Considering the game was released towards the very end of the month, I think that's a wise statement.

No need to wait a month... the Wii is number one this generation. Can't see it miraculously slowing down and another console taking its place. That's pure fantasy.

pswii60

All analysts owned.

What is strange, is that in the UK, GTA IV pushed 360 and PS3 hardware to increases of 125% and 127% in sales respectively. Weird how we haven't seen it in the US, unless we'll see the ripple effect in May.

EDIT: What is interesting, is that despite the Blu-Ray victory, despite the small difference in price now and PS3 having the better hardware value by a large amount (Blu-Ray, Wifi, built-in play & charge, free online etc), both PS3 and 360 are still selling pretty much the same. The market really isn't panning out as one was expecting.

The wii is successful for the same reasons playstation was. A large part of the non-gaming population began to see videogaming as not embarrassing. First it was kids and teenagers of all kinds, now it's mums and grandmas.

Moms see Playstation as the cancer of children childhood, something that should dissapear. Give me one mum that hasn't said once "Are you still/again playing with the console???".

Wii is seen as a board game instead, as scrabble, as trivial pursuit... something that the whole family can enjoy and be proud of. At work I see everybody being "proud" of playing the Wii, while many people play PS3 or PC, but they doesn't tell everybody about it. That's what's making wii successful, its aim to be a family central console, and the fact that people is proud of playing wii, as with having an ipod or a nokia n95. It's just fashionable.

That's what's killing videogames, but hey, that's my opinion. Wii sucks, as many mediatic as fashionable articles. But I understand videogame ignorants to enjoy simple, stupid and repetitive mechanics. I enjoyed with shit like that in the eighties, why couldn't they enjoy them now?

Avrum

What's more amazing that these numbers is the continued representation of just how ignorant and butt hurt some gamers are. I mean, damn, we're already predicting the end of gaming as we know and the industry is seeing one of its best periods ever and part of that is BECAUSE of Wii.

Seriously, Nintendo really can't win. Either they're doing something fucking stupid or they're fucking up the industry; there is no middle ground. I consider this a hefty preview for May's NPD because if shit has hit the fan now, we're getting shit infused typhoon come that time.

I mean, hot damn people.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlackGoku03 said:
Who cares? Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Rockstar, and pretty much everyone in this thread.

It's not an excuse or even an attempt to defend a company's product(s), just a mere observation that I've sold a lot of 360's and PS3's along with GTA IV since the checks started rolling out.

It would be interesting to find out if this is a trend across the country and not just my rinky-dink town.

Look above man. I never said people bought the game and no system. I'm just suggesting that maybe some people were waiting for their check to jump in. Maybe not. I was just pointing out an observation.

Considering the game was released towards the very end of the month, I think that's a wise statement.

No need to wait a month... the Wii is number one this generation. Can't see it miraculously slowing down and another console taking its place. That's pure fantasy.

I've seen it as well in my store, so you're not alone.

MisterHero said:
SOMEDAY YOU GO THROUGH THE RAIN

SOMEDAY YOU FEED ON A TREE FROOOOG

:lol :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Bastion said:
Again, I am not so concerned about the effect this gen, I am more concerned about next gen. The Wii could have a huge ripple effect.
GOOD. The industry was getting stagnant. Do you know how many FPS are coming to 360 this year? What are you people so afraid of your gaming dungeon turning into the family room?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shaheed79 said:
GOOD. The industry was getting stagnant. Do you know how many FPS are coming to 360 this year? What are you people so afraid of your gaming dungeon turning into the family room?

Maybe he has no family.

Kidding

pswii60 said:
All analysts owned.

What is strange, is that in the UK, GTA IV pushed 360 and PS3 hardware to increases of 125% and 127% in sales respectively. Weird how we haven't seen it in the US, unless we'll see the ripple effect in May.

Definitely strange. I really can't think of any possible reason to explain the non-existent hardware bump in the US. To say the majority of potential GTA4 players already had the console or bought it for the game months ago still doesn't make sense, when there was a significant boost in the UK and even games of similar conditionn such as Halo 3 could still cause a boost.

Next month will be interesting.

Owzers

Shaheed79 said:

I'm afraid that the next Nintendo system will be a very marginal upgrade and retail for $250-300.

Speevy

Banned
Shaheed79 said:

What if your family is locked in a dungeon? I keep them well fed.

BlackGoku03 said:

Lots and lots of games are released towards the very end of their release month. They rarely chart in the top 10 the next month, and they almost always have a large-to-enormous drop (the only recent exception I can think of was the latest Mario Party).

GTA IV will do less than a million on both systems combined next month. I promise.

Agent Icebeezy

pswii60 said:
All analysts owned.

EDIT: What is interesting, is that despite the Blu-Ray victory, despite the small difference in price now and PS3 having the better hardware value by a large amount (Blu-Ray, Wifi, built-in play & charge, free online etc), both PS3 and 360 are still selling pretty much the same. The market really isn't panning out as one was expecting.

Games>>>>>>>>>>>>The bolded. That has always been the case. We see it differently but I swear it is the truth when you log off and re-enter the real world.

Agent Icebeezy

AnimeTheme said:
Definitely strange. I really can't think of any possible reason to explain the non-existent hardware bump in the US. To say the majority of potential GTA4 players already had the console or bought it for the game months ago still doesn't make sense, when there was a significant boost in the UK and even games of similar conditionn such as Halo 3 could still cause a boost.

Next month will be interesting.

1.00 EUR

=

1.54853 USD

Brashnir

pswii60 said:

Last gen, the PS2 always had a poor hardware value in relation to the GC and Xbox, but that didn't stop it. This gen, hardware value is inversely proportional to install base. I think it's safe to say that hardware value doesn't mean shit to most consumers.

Leondexter said:
Lots and lots of games are released towards the very end of their release month. They rarely chart in the top 10 the next month, and they almost always have a large-to-enormous drop (the only recent exception I can think of was the latest Mario Party).

GTA IV will do less than a million on both systems combined next month. I promise.
We'll see.

GTA will chart in the top ten next month but I'm guessing we may see a million combined next month. I'll have to bookmark this post.

However, like I said, a lot of people will be having exra money in May. We'll see.

Kagari said:
I see. That's interesting.

May's NPD will certainly be interesting... it should tell us a lot.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
BlackGoku03 said:
We'll see.

GTA will chart in the top ten next month but I'm guessing we may see a million combined next month. I'll have to bookmark this post.

However, like I said, a lot of people will be having exra money in May. We'll see.

I see. That's interesting.

May's NPD will certainly be interesting... it should tell us a lot.

Yeah, it will tell us that Nintendo keep on selling hardware like hot cakes and that Wii fit sells well.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Brashnir said:
Last gen, the PS2 always had a poor hardware value in relation to the GC and Xbox, but that didn't stop it. This gen, hardware value is inversely proportional to install base. I think it's safe to say that hardware value doesn't mean shit to most consumers.

That or hardware power. If power were the case then the xbox would've made a much bigger impact against the PS2. Or the N64 against the PS1 as another example.

It's all about games, Games, GAMES! ^_^

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
sillymonkey321 said:
I'm afraid that the next Nintendo system will be a very marginal upgrade and retail for $250-300.
Then buy a Sony or MS system. They're both gonna be at least as powerful as their current hardware. I hope they both have motion controllers as well so they can keep pushing Nintendo to evolve their wiimote.

wolforce

pswii60 said:
All analysts owned.
, despite the small difference in price now and PS3 having the better hardware value by a large amount (Blu-Ray, Wifi, built-in play & charge, free online etc), both PS3 and 360 are still selling pretty much the same. The market really isn't panning out as one was expecting.

But you have forgotten the 360 Arcade for 279$.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Games>>>>>>>>>>>>The bolded. That has always been the case. We see it differently but I swear it is the truth when you log off and re-enter the real world.

But the ps3 outsells the 360 in europe and we have the same games.

Games are important but there's more.
BTW, I agree that games are more important than the things bolded.

In similar news, "Despite Massive Shortages of the 80 GB PS3, Sony Reigns Victorious Over the Competition for April NPD Sales."

maynpd1.jpg

maynpdlastgen.jpg

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=427

Lobster

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Then buy a Sony or MS system. They're both gonna be at least as powerful as their current hardware. I hope they both have motion controllers as well so they can keep pushing Nintendo to evolve their wiimote.

If not motion, IR.

Agent Icebeezy

Me_Marcadet said:
But the ps3 outsells the 360 in europe and we have the same games.

Games are important but there's more.
BTW, I agree that games are more important than the things bolded.

Sonyland plus overall hate for Microsoft. has a little bit to do with it. However, if what Chart Track has been saying is correct, Microsoft has made strides since the price drop there.

BlackGoku03 said:
We'll see.

Here's an example, probably the most fitting one I can find without digging up San Andreas sales: Halo 3. It was also out for 5 days in the NPD tracking its launch month. Here's the 2nd month:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208528

433.8k. GTA IV might have a smaller drop-off, since it didn't have quite the media exposure, but for it to do a million would be, like I said, bucking a very concrete trend.

By the way, why would we assume that people with tax checks to spend would buy an HD system instead of a Wii?

MisterHero

BlackGoku03 said:
Oh shit, they have the Wii in Last generation hardware sales.

That's fucked up.

And lame.
Nintendo's sold ~25 million Wiis

1 Wii = 2 Gamecubes

~25 million Wiis x 2 Gamecubes = ~50 million Gamecubes

~21 million Gamecubes + ~50 million new Gamecubes = ~71 million Gamecubes

OH SHIT GAMECUBES GONNA GET AVENGENCE

Soule

Sir Alemeth said:
In similar news, "Despite Massive Shortages of the 80 GB PS3, Sony Reigns Victorious Over the Competition for April NPD Sales."

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/maynpd1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/maynpdlastgen.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=427[/url][/QUOTE]
don't ever change, SDF. don't ever change.

Leondexter said:
Here's an example, probably the most fitting one I can find without digging up San Andreas sales: Halo 3. It was also out for 5 days in the NPD tracking its launch month. Here's the 2nd month:

433.8k. GTA IV might have a smaller drop-off, since it didn't have quite the media exposure, but for it to do a million would be, like I said, bucking a very concrete trend.
I see. Well, you have a point. It may be close to a million combined... I'm not sure anymore. I'm not betting on it or anything.

By the way, why would we assume that people with tax checks to spend would buy an HD system instead of a Wii?
Oh, well that's easy. They probably won't be able to find a Wii. Also, GTA IV isn't on the Wii, so people who may be looking to obtain GTA IV and a new console will go for one of the two HD consoles.

This is just me guessing though (except for not finding a Wii part).

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Leondexter said:

Especially since this isn't even a holiday season. But, again, this is just being seen in one store.

Also, this might not be because of stimulous checks. My guess is that it's gamers getting GTA on the second and third shipment who didn't get it during the first.

Leondexter said:

Halo 3 had two weeks of sales, not one.

MisterHero said:
Nintendo's sold ~25 million Wiis

1 Wii = 2 Gamecubes

~25 million Wiis x 2 Gamecubes = ~50 million Gamecubes

~21 million Gamecubes + ~50 million new Gamecubes = ~71 million Gamecubes

OH SHIT GAMECUBES GONNA GET AVENGENCE
Flawless math amazes me to no end.

My eyes are now open.

Haha.

Top Bottom