• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Vilix said:
Especially since this isn't even a holiday season. But, again, this is just being seen in one store.

Also, this might not be because of stimulous checks. My guess is that it's gamers getting GTA on the second and third shipment who didn't get it during the first.
Kagari said it was happening in his store too.

Next time I go to work, I'm going to call around other stores in nearby counties to see if they are experiencing the same thing.

TwinIonEngines said:
Bored. A joke's only funny so many times, y'know.

360mini.jpg

Really?

RpgN

Plinko said:
QFT.

Seriously--if any company ISN'T planning on making a Wii game right now, they're absolutely insane. It boggles the mind that some have been so late in getting on the bandwagon. Again, no business sense whatsoever.

Companies will start releasing more games, but are you really expecting their games to sell decent on the wii? As much as wii is selling amazingly, nintendo gets all the pie in the end. Lots of franchises are selling more than well on the xbox360/ps3 already. A wii is still a big risk for certain genres IMO.

Neo C.

Holy fucking shit!
I've read nearly all this meltdowns in more than 2 hours.:lol

I've seen countless times people claimed that initially losing money on hardware is standard in this business, even when there are reports that the 360 and the PS3 lost an insane amount of money at the beginning. Basically it should help to sell the hardware at launch.
And then I've read countless times that the hardware prices would go down fast because the price was so high.

In the end, the second claim doesn't seem to be true if the hardware producers actually want to gain a profit. And if they want to stay profitable, we see now that the initial lost of money hurt them in the middle of the generation.

They don't have any other choice except rethinking their business modell in the next cycle. And if they still want to stay competitive, they should forget to stay profitable and start losing money on hardware again (= massive price drops on hardware).

dammitmattt said:
Now that is funny. SDF's little NPD chart is also funny to be fair. HD enthusiasts can call the Wii whatever they want, I find their hate funny. I also find it funny that the Wii is absolutely destroying the HD systems as well. In fact, I've found this entire thread to be very funny.

Nocebo

RpgN said:
Companies will start releasing more games, but are you really expecting their games to sell decent on the wii? As much as wii is selling amazingly, nintendo gets all the pie in the end. Lots of franchises are selling more than well on the xbox360/ps3 already. A wii is still a big risk for certain genres IMO.
Did you not see the graph a few pages back where it shows that 3rd party software sales are 60% of the total software sales on wii since last year?
EDIT: Here it is again.
45.jpg

It will be interesting to see how Force Unleashed and Alone in the dark fare on wii vs on HD consoles.

BTW, Mario Kart is outselling the GTa IVs on amazon.com.

It probably means that MK Wii should have thunder legs similar to either version of GTA IV as well.

It should at least outsell GTA IV for the PS3 next month.

dammitmattt said:
Halo 3 had two weeks of sales, not one.

Aw, crap, you're right, it was 12 days. I was looking at this post from Sept 07's NPD thread. Should've known better.

Nevertheless, my point stands. Videogame sales are more front-loaded than Lara Croft.

BlackGoku03 said:
Kagari said it was happening in his store too.

Next time I go to work, I'm going to call around other stores in nearby counties to see if they are experiencing the same thing.

Cool, you should post in the "retail musings" threads. They're interesting (and don't let the haters stop you, it's just discussion, guys). Just be careful not to end up like ioi.

justchris

Bastion said:
And you just made my point extremely valid. I too play the Wii with my kids. I have fun as do they but it is fun like board game fun. It is not fun like playing a more traditional videogame.

Wait, did you just dis board games? And you're complaining about the Wii? You need to get yourself into a Robo Rally or Axis & Allies game stat. No, wait, you have a 360 right? Download Settlers of Catan immediately, you owe it to yourself, and your children.

RpgN

Nocebo said:
Did you not see the graph a few pages back where it shows that 3rd party software sales are 60% of the total software sales on wii this year?
45.jpg

It will be interesting to see how Force Unleashed and Alone in the dark fare on wii vs on HD consoles.

No I didn't see that, thanks for the graph. It's definitely good. But as I said, they are selling well from different kind of games (=non-games) and typical third party games on the wii (like Call of Duty, GTA4 etc.) can still be a big risk. Nintendo fans suddenly expect developers to release their best games because wii's hardware is doing so well. Developers will try again, this year will probably be another test for third party games.

EDarkness

BrokenSymmetry said:
Of course the publishers would like to make money on the Wii, but do the developers who have to create the games actually want to work for the Wii? I think that developers like Louis Castle (co-founder of Westwood Studios of C&C fame, and last working on Boom Blox) are in the minority...

From what I know of developers this seems to be the case. I mean, in some way I can't blame them. Why would you want to work on lower end hardware if you didn't have to? Those guys seem ready to move on, but the market just isn't going that way. My impression is that they'll fight tooth and nail to keep doing what they're doing.

This is definitely one of the strangest generations ever. I would be real surprised if we started seeing more real AAA Wii games.

Nocebo

RpgN said:
No I didn't see that, thanks for the graph. It's definitely good. But as I said, they are selling well from different kind of games (=non-games) and typical third party games on the wii (like Call of Duty, GTA4 etc.) can still be a big risk. Nintendo fans suddenly expect developers to release their best games because wii's hardware is doing so well. Developers will try again, this year will probably be another test for third party games.
What do you think about Alone in the dark and Force Unleashed coming to the wii? I personally never would have expected games like that being ported to Wii.

RpgN

Nocebo said:
What do you think about Alone in the dark and Force Unleashed coming to the wii? I personally never would have expected games like that being ported to Wii.

Me too. It's a good start, though I hope they really make some effort and not release them for the sake of cash-in. If these games do well, we'll expect some games. I'm personly more surprised about Monster Hunter 3. That one I didn't see coming.

And wow! I just took a look at the charts. Disappointing hardware for both sony and microsoft. I guess most GTA fans already own a HD console.

schild

Someone find all the NPD numbers and Media-Create numbers for third party shovelware bullshit like that Carnival Games shit and subtract it from the total. Get a hard number for 3rd party games. Didn't Carnival Games sell some ungodly number that made no fucking sense?

Ahem, what I meant was - That graph for third party games on the Wii means fuckall.

MisterHero

schild said:
Someone find all the NPD numbers and Media-Create numbers for third party shovelware bullshit like that Carnival Games shit and subtract it from the total. Get a hard number for 3rd party games. Didn't Carnival Games sell some ungodly number that made no fucking sense?

Ahem, what I meant was - That graph for third party games on the Wii means fuckall.
don't forget gaiz

wiiplay is not a game

Well....evidently folks wanted their GTA:IV fix more on the 360 than their PS3. But damn....WTF is up with the Wii? It's like DS'....doesn't everyone have one by now? Jeez. It's a beast. A freakin' beast! At least my PSP put up solid numbers again this month. But where's the software #'s for it too? :(

Pachael

Nocebo said:
Did you not see the graph a few pages back where it shows that 3rd party software sales are 60% of the total software sales on wii since last year?
45.jpg

I shall argue that the latter half of the chart is skewed because of Mario and Sonic's success, which primarily comes from the Mario characters despite it being developed and published by Sega in the States. Without that, 3rd party sales is about 50:50.

Nocebo

schild said:
Well, actually it means that third party software sells well on the Wii. It's not hard to understand. 60 is a bigger number than 40 after all. :lol

Nocebo

Pachael said:
I shall argue that the latter half of the chart is skewed because of Mario and Sonic's success, which primarily comes from the Mario characters despite it being developed and published by Sega in the States. Without that, 3rd party sales is about 50:50.
Even if that were true it still doesn't take away that the 3rd party situation isn't as bad as some people like to claim (sales wise anyway).

Blablurn

Hm :( shocking numbers. Although I own a Wii i don't like this trend. Really. But, maybe this will be the reason why PS3 and 360 are going to stay for some years. I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft want the money but at the moment they have a really hard time.

you know, i have nothing against the wii. I just don't like the fact that 360 and especially PS3 sales are not as good as i want them to be!

thorns

Banned
The thing with (western) third party publishers is that there really hasn't been any Wii-only game developed by an A-list developer. When western third parties start to release quality Wii games and they still don't sell, then we can start to talk. But overall all the top devs have been working on PS3/360.
Also most of those devs and publishers really don't know how to make a game that will appeal to everyone, instead they just continue to make games that will appeal to the hardcore crowd...

Steroyd

Blablurn said:
Hm :( shocking numbers. Although I own a Wii i don't like this trend. Really. But, maybe this will be the reason why PS3 and 360 are going to stay for some years. I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft want the money but at the moment they have a really hard time.

you know, i have nothing against the wii. I just don't like the fact that 360 and especially PS3 sales are not as good as i want them to be!

Damn straight GTA did fuck all even if it was in a small amount of time. :lol

Maybe it would have bumped h/w numbers if it was completely exclusive to either system... I dunno.

fresquito

thorns said:
The thing with (western) third party publishers is that there really hasn't been any Wii-only game developed by an A-list developer. When western third parties start to release quality Wii games and they still don't sell, then we can start to talk. But overall all the top devs have been working on PS3/360.
Also most of those devs and publishers really don't know how to make a game that will appeal to everyone, instead they just continue to make games that will appeal to the hardcore crowd...
This is where they all fall and the solution's pretty easy: do what people expect from you.

If you're good at hardcore games, do them on the Wii, but do them with full force, not some half-assed effort. Instead they Nintendify their portfolio or release quick cash-ins. If I want a Nintendified game, I will go for a Nintendo game. Just give Wii owners what Nintendo won't and you'll be a winner.

Pachael said:
Remember Wii Play.

Vagabundo

Blablurn said:

Combined they are still selling relatively well considering past generations. I think people just need to look at it as if there is one platform HD (PS3,360,PC) and the Wii. Then you realise there is enought of a market for HD games to make money so their will be resources there and the Wii will get loads of great games too.

The Wii is the future, the 360/PS3 is a dead end. Next gen we will see what changes the Wii has wrought.

I know some people here believe that the Wii is a step backward, but dont forget the two steps forward are next.

Parl

Pachael said:
Wow, impressive sales for Mario & Sonic for it to sell 17% as much as Nintendo's WHOLE catalogue did in Q3 and Q4.

Even more impressive is that third parties sell so much with such low investments, yet they're doomed to failure on PS360 unless they pour money into their projects because of the high visual and production standards demand by its market.

Wii as a platform for 3rd parties is vastly underrated. If low budget software can sell, what can big budget software sell?

Eteric Rice said:
Really?

Hardware or just software to emulate it?

I haven't been keeping up on this stuff. :|

Software to my knowledge. I think the only way to get hardware is if you hunt down a 60 or 20GB PS3.

Bastion said:
For people that absolutely love that Nintendo is kicking arse right now, I have a question for you.

Are you more excited that Nintendo in general is winning a console race once again or are more excited about how great the Wii and it's games are selling?

I used to like Nintendo until they "sold out" this generation. The Wii is an embarrassment to gaming. I have loved traditional hardcore games for over two decades and this casual stuff makes me sick.

The main reason it really ticks me off is because now game companies will start spending more money on Wii games which takes away from the real consoles. It ticks me off that a game like Fatal Frame 4 is not on PS3/360. It should never be a Wii game, at least not the main iteration.

I can't fault Nintendo for doing what they did. They are making tons of money which is every businesses goal. I do not have to like it and can give my opinion on it.
I'm happy that the company that actually brought something new to gaming - namely motion control and pointer control (which I have been waiting for in consoles forever) plus the first truly ambidextrous controller. HD resolution and better graphics are something I've had on the PC for a while, and paying for online play or $400+ for a console are not things I would ever do anyway.

Steroyd

fresquito said:
Just give Wii owners what Nintendo won't and you'll be a winner.

Like what?

Seriously when it comes to Nintendo they are the dogs bollocks of gameplay and using the full featureset of the system they built extraordinarily well (Zelda Phantom Hourglass HOT DAMN!!!), your asking third party devs to look at possibilities of what the system can do with complete uncertainty of it working and a deadline.

Top Bottom