• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Lobster

Banned
Nocebo said:
It will be interesting to see how Force Unleashed and Alone in the dark fare on wii vs on HD consoles.

Depends on how it is advertised.

Fun fact: SEGA Superstars Tennis Wii outsold all over versions. It was mainly advertised for Wii.

Expect Force Unleashed to be advertised for 360/Ps3 and it will have one of those small Wii disclaimers in the corner.

Steroyd said:
Like what?

Seriously when it comes to Nintendo they are the dogs bollocks of gameplay and using the full featureset of the system they built extraordinarily well (Zelda Phantom Hourglass HOT DAMN!!!), your asking third party devs to look at possibilities of what the system can do with complete uncertainty of it working and a deadline.

Like shooters, sport games, fighters, rythm etc..

Sport and Rythm games have actually been quite a success on Wii.

fresquito

Steroyd said:
Like what?

Seriously when it comes to Nintendo they are the dogs bollocks of gameplay and using the full featureset of the system they built extraordinarily well (Zelda Phantom Hourglass HOT DAMN!!!), your asking third party devs to look at possibilities of what the system can do with complete uncertainty of it working and a deadline.
Like all the genres Nintendo won't release games of.

Steroyd

Like shooters, sport games, fighters, rythm etc..

Sport and Rythm games have actually been quite a success on Wii.

Metroid, Wii Sport/Mario [insert sport], Super Smash Brothers (F U) and... Wii music?

okay, i know this won't happen for at least a half dozen reasons, but the thought just entered my mind

Sony and/or Microsoft looks at Wii's success, develops successor console(s) to adhere to Standard Definition, with motion controls, and a cheap entry price

Nintendo holds onto Wii's name and brand recognition, releases successor as a High Definition console (with similar or improved motion controls)

Nintendo re-starts dominating marketplace

again, i know at least Sony wouldn't do that (or at least not with only one SKU), but the prospect of it all still made me chuckle

and as an unexpected aside, one thing i love Nintendo for doing is only releasing one SKU (so far at least). i fucking HATE multiple SKU's so much. i want to buy a PS3 tomorrow, but I have to wait for a month until i can buy one that has backwards compatability.

as much as some people are mad at Nintendo for "cheapening" the industry, i'm thankful they didn't introduce the bullshit of DLC and multiple SKU's to this generation of consoles

hc2

I am surprised at the 360 and PS3 doing so little with US income tax refunds coming in February and March, maybe giving consumers extra cash. Perhaps the gas prices cut into their sales.
Maybe the May/June extra tax refunds ($300-600) will let them pick up sales a little, but still the gas prices are a factor.

Huh.

Also to address Speevy: I don't know if you were quoted in the preceding 32 pages but EA will still want Take2 Games, if not just because Blackivision is still bigger.. it's as much about their penis size as it is about diversifying their portfolio.

Plus EA isn't a hardware manufacturer so GTA not selling hardware is kinda irrelevant.. it's software sales that matter. If GTA can't sell PS3s and 360s.. nobody in this generation can. So that's really not a major concern of EA's. Every publisher will still be shooting in the same sized pool of consumers.

hc2 said:
I am surprised at the 360 and PS3 doing so little with US income tax refunds coming in February and March, maybe giving consumers extra cash. Perhaps the gas prices cut into their sales.
Maybe the May/June extra tax refunds ($300-600) will let them pick up sales a little, but still the gas prices are a factor.
I think the "income tax refund" argument is my favorite. I've been hearing it for almost ten years, but THIS year it's true!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Did anyone come close to those 360/ps3 numbers in the prediction thread? :lol Just sad. I wonder which of the two will drop their price first. Can't wait to see next month numbers with Wii Fit around the corner.

Vagabundo

GK86 said:
Did anyone come close to those 360/ps3 numbers in the prediction thread? :lol Just sad. I wonder which of the two will drop their price first. Can't wait to see next month numbers with Wii Fit around the corner.

Is Wii Fit not out yet in the US???!?!?

o_O

Oh dear!.

The PS360 will come good, just not as soon as most people were expecting, including myself. Not nearly as soon. The technological knowledge and equipment required to take advantage of these consoles is just a little beyond the mass market right now.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
SealSqueal said:
The PS360 will come good, just not as soon as most people were expecting, including myself. Not nearly as soon. The technological knowledge and equipment required to take advantage of these consoles is just a little beyond the mass market right now.

:lol :lol

Sule

Does anybody have the graph of ''why Wii is going to get 3rd party games'' and ''why Wii is not going to get 3rd party games'' or something like that? It's a graph of Wii LTD vs. 360 + PS3 LTD which showed how in Japan the Wii's LTD lead was getting larger every week and in the US it was behind 360 + PS3. I think it the Wii was even losing marketshare % in the US but I'm not sure. I'd like to see how the last two months have affected that graph in the US if that would be possible.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
USA: 3.026.000 [till end of Apr. 08]
Jap.: 1.634.000 [till 05/11/2008]
Can.: 197.000 [till end of March 08]
--------------------
Total: 4.857.000

Captain Smoker said:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl:
USA: 3.026.000 [till end of Apr. 08]
Jap.: 1.634.000 [till 05/11/2008]
Can.: 197.000 [till end of March 08]
--------------------
Total: 4.857.000

Massive. It hasn't even come out in Europe yet. :lol

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
hc2 said:

Not that this is the forum for this discussion, but (anecdotal data incoming) most of the people I know are using their refunds to either pay off debts (credit cards) or buy HD TVs. I'm the only one who bought an HD console.

Take that for what it's worth.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mabuza said:
i think the gta4 dlc this fall will be the real hardware mover the 360; thats what people are really waiting for.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but I hope it is.

'HD' Hardware numbers are really very disappointing. GTAIV did do great, but let's hope for a greater hardware effect next month.

Mario Kart Wii:
USA: 1.120.000 [till end of Apr. 08]
Jap.: 1.249.000 [till 05/11/2008]
UK: 300.000 - 399.999 [till end of Apr. 08]
Italy: 54.150 [till 04/27/2008]
---------------------------
Total: 2.723.150 - 2.823.149

I expect ~ 1.000.000 units for whole Europe till end of April 08, so Mario Kart has ~ 3.369.000

I wonder which game will manage more units, Brawl or Mario Kart. ^^

RagnarokX

Wow @ Nintendo

35hkdx4.gif

Vagabundo

DeaconKnowledge said:
What's with this "GTA failed" mentality by the way? No it didn't push consoles like expected, but it still did amazingly well.

I think people were hoping it would be the start of the tide turning, Wii fad and all that. I dont think it was ever about GTA really, it was just their last bright hope. (next is MGS ?!?)

Reggie gave them the smack down by increasing supply this month maybe, just to drive the point home. Your so ruthless Reggie.

EDarkness

fernoca said:
Oh come on Bastion..
You seem to hate the idea of companies actually spending money and making Wii games, wheneven afternearly 2 years..the situation is basically the same..

Like EA releasing collector's editions of Madden on PS3 and 360, but not Wii...the same publisher that is releasing Rock Band Wii next month, but as a port of the PS2 version..
The same Tecmo you're taking that is releasing Ninja Gaiden II, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Dead or Alive 4 on the 360 and PS3..
Konami with Metal Gear Solid 4, Rockstar's GTAIV, Capcom's Resident Evil 5 (even after all the Resident Evil tests on Wii)..

Sorry..but where' are those high-budget third party Wii games you seem so angry that the Wii is getting..? Fatal Frame moved consoles on the PS2 and Xbox? How many millions the previous games sold?...Monter Hunter 3? In Japan on the PSP is selling amazing...will that translate into sales on the Wii sequel? Who knows..the console version of Monster Hunter were not "as hot" as the PSP version, though still managed to sell great...

The rare times that they do release "new" games on the Wii the barely advertise them, rush them and release them as if they were just releasing another game..while they go around and continue making their PS3 and 360 games..

So I don't know why you're so pissy about the current trend of Wii outselling the compeitition, when it's been like that for nearly 2 years..and aside sales numbers, barely nothing has changed..

Well said and very true. A sad generation indeed....

Jeeso, MS and Sony PR is just pitiful after this NPD!

Jack Tretton:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10525&Itemid=2

“The proof is in the numbers and, in April, PlayStation 3 hardware sales experienced a 127 percent increase over April of last year.”

Aaron Greenberg:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10518&Itemid=2

"What you're finding is that there are two platforms that are performing very well, while the PS3 really seems like it's getting squeezed out."

:lol :lol :lol WTF?

Not enough roll-eyes!

Kandrick said:

Care to elaborate? You know posting an emoticon (wait, make that two!) is about the basest kind of reply possible, and proves absolutely nil of anything. I happen to have saved that little rant, don't take it personally ;) ;)

Anyway, the equation is quite simple - Wii = plugnplay

360/PS3 = hdmi/vga/component, resolutions, scaling, wireless or not wireless, port-forwarding, hardware lock-ups. The techonology tree these things are sitting in just isn't mature enough yet to have the kinks ironed out, nor has the it penentrated enough that the mass market knows the difference between component and hdmi, hell almost all of them have no idea what the difference between rca and compenent is. I know this from working in an electronics chain for the last two years. So if you read between the lines, lowering the price won't make a huge difference short-term, only games can, and of those there just isn't enough saturation, this month proves that.

Eteric Rice

SealSqueal said:
Care to elaborate? You know posting an emoticon (wait, make that two!) is about the basest kind of reply possible, and proves absolutely nil of anything. I happen to have saved that little rant, don't take it personally ;) ;)

Anyway, the equation is quite simple - Wii = plugnplay

360/PS3 = hdmi/vga/component, resolutions, scaling, wireless or not wireless, port-forwarding, hardware lock-ups. The techonology tree these things are sitting in just isn't mature enough yet to have the kinks ironed out, nor has the it penentrated enough that the mass market knows the difference between component and hdmi, hell almost all of them have no idea what the difference between rca and compenent is. I know this from working in an electronics chain for the last two years. So if you read between the lines, lowering the price won't make a huge difference short-term, only games can, and of those there just isn't enough saturation, this month proves that.

Well, it's not like the Wii is getting any games outside of Nintendo's own stuff, and maybe a few rare little gems here and there.

It's amazing, you can create a console that becomes the market leader, even when released a year behind the 360, and you still can't get a third party game worth a shit. I personally think third parties are purposely doing this to try to stop Nintendo from a DS like dominance in the console side of things.

It's sad that companies can be so petty. As a Wii owner, it pisses me off to no end.

It all started when some dude came out of nowhere and said my Name is Reggie and am all about kicking ass and taking names.

That was when i knew, knew Nintendo will never be the same again.

Nocebo

SealSqueal said:
Plus the mass market doesn't care about the games on PS360 which should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

GK86 said:
I was actually going to predict closer to 200k but the peer pressure got to me. I did not want to be called out because of GTA lulz BS. Oh well, I'll stick to my instincts next time.

Vagabundo said:
I think people were hoping it would be the start of the tide turning, Wii fad and all that. I dont think it was ever about GTA really, it was just their last bright hope. (next is MGS ?!?)

Reggie gave them the smack down by increasing supply this month maybe, just to drive the point home. Your so ruthless Reggie.
Didn't he beg, like, reeeeeaaaalllyy beg, R* for some sort of GTA? He probably did this to show everyone who's boss :lol

Leonsito

Vaandaviii said:
The wii is successful for the same reasons playstation was. A large part of the non-gaming population began to see videogaming as not embarrassing. First it was kids and teenagers of all kinds, now it's mums and grandmas.

Moms see Playstation as the cancer of children childhood, something that should dissapear. Give me one mum that hasn't said once "Are you still/again playing with the console???".

Wii is seen as a board game instead, as scrabble, as trivial pursuit... something that the whole family can enjoy and be proud of. At work I see everybody being "proud" of playing the Wii, while many people play PS3 or PC, but they doesn't tell everybody about it. That's what's making wii successful, its aim to be a family central console, and the fact that people is proud of playing wii, as with having an ipod or a nokia n95. It's just fashionable.

That's what's killing videogames, but hey, that's my opinion.

I assume that nothing quoted this post because a lot of people must have you on the ignore list saying things like that.

That said, moms see the Wii as a white Playstation, there isn't a "proud to play Wii" sentiment, or people like see the Wii as a board-games machine, it's a videogame console, same as 360, Ps3 or PSP, but it has games that go beyond the racing/shooting genre that is so massified in this years, so it can appeal to people that didn't played videogames in the past.

Nothing is killing videogames, Wii is the same as PS2 in 2002 (it still has to reach those amazing sales levels that PS2 did in holidays), but instead of shitty games and great games, it has shitty games with waggle and great games.

What about the huge list of Buzz! games and Singstars? That wasn't killing gaming right?

And yeah sure, people doesn't talk about playing PS3 or PC, come on ...

Vaandaviii said:
Wii sucks, as many mediatic as fashionable articles. But I understand videogame ignorants to enjoy simple, stupid and repetitive mechanics. I enjoyed with shit like that in the eighties, why couldn't they enjoy them now?

Great phrase, so Wii sucks because it's a fashionable article, it's the same thing that people that hates everything that it's commercial because they can't feel unique enjoying those products, music or clothes.

Wii will attract people to the gaming industry and that's a good thing, people will spend money on hour favorite hobby and that will gives us more games, but hey, I know that 95% of all the posts in this thread bashing the Wii success are from people that enjoyed the 75% market share that PS1 and PS2 had, and now feel insecure.

Btw, I have a Wii, a 360, a N95 and an iPod touch, and I bought all of these things because I wanted, I don't give a fuck if the things sell 400 Millions or the company that made it goes bankruptcy, I was years with only a Gamecube and when GT4 launched I bought a PS2 because I wanted that game.

Leondexter said:
:lol

All this doomsday talk is the funniest shit ever. And the funniest part is, it reminds me of myself and others, years ago:

20010606h.gif

I was never as paranoid as some of these crazies, though: I knew there'd always be games I liked. I just had a little hurt pride that the industry would favor a larger demographic over nerds like me.

I want to some points from a post I made last summer.

Seven years ago Playstation triumphalists were saying that PSX finally made gaming mainstream. As recently as two years ago they said they the same thing about PS2. But now, "mainstream" seems to be their greatest fear.

I can't be the only one to not be entirely happy with what the market changes last generation meant. The Dreamcast died, Madden football become one of the most important franchises, EA became much more powerful, and Japanese games greatly decreased in significance in the NA market.

I was as upset as all the current Wii Sports bashers that Madden was the main system seller for PS2 at launch and I couldn't understand why more people weren't.

There is a fact that the self-proclaimed hardcore gamers in this thread don't seem to realize, not all 'hardcore' gamers thought the previous mainstream of the market(or its extension into HD) was ideal either. Development is merely shifting to, or more accurately broadening to include, a different set of mass-market lowest-common-denominator sensibilities.

As I said earlier in this thread, I feel like I'm a jazz fan listening to Korn fans complain about Jessica Simpson.

Neo C.

Sule said:
Does anybody have the graph of ''why Wii is going to get 3rd party games'' and ''why Wii is not going to get 3rd party games'' or something like that? It's a graph of Wii LTD vs. 360 + PS3 LTD which showed how in Japan the Wii's LTD lead was getting larger every week and in the US it was behind 360 + PS3. I think it the Wii was even losing marketshare % in the US but I'm not sure. I'd like to see how the last two months have affected that graph in the US if that would be possible.
Oh, you mean the pantherlotus' graph? Well I guess Panther needs to adjust his opinion after this result, and who knows what happens after the Wii Fit release.

theguy

godhandiscen said:
It seems that without the huge userbase, GTA isnt the monster everybody believed it to be. Halo 3 on the other side did move a shitload of consoles for Microsoft and sold 3.3 million units on its first NPD with a third of the installed user base of both the PS3 and 360 combined as of right now.

That is correct. There's a lot to be said for the power of the exclusive, and with all due respect to those involved with GTAIV marketing, some of you don't seem to understand what's happening internally and the real value behind the spin. Shipment numbers do not reflect actual sales. Some of us would like to believe that it does but it's simply not the case.

Kolgar

I sat out of this last night, but I'm just going to post once in this epic thread to say, "Microsoft: Lower your damn prices already. You've dropped the Pro system only $50 in the past 2+ years and in all that time, you're still NOWHERE NEAR mass-market prices!"

Get this generation in gear before it whithers on the vine.

Culex said:
Do we have the official Nintendo PR statement yet?

It was posted a few pages back..
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=15197

NINTENDO'S WII SITS ATOP APRIL U.S. SALES

May 15, 2008

Wii™ emerged as the top-selling console in April, according to the independent NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales. Wii sold more than 714,000 units in April alone, bringing its lifetime sales in the United States to more than 9.5 million.

"Wii sales were buoyed in part by the strong launch of Mario Kart Wii, which sold more than 1.1 million units," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Our belief in appealing to a broad, diverse audience of players continues to resonate with consumers, and we look forward to continuing our outreach to an expanded audience with the launch of Wii Fit next week."

Other Nintendo highlights from April's NPD report include:

• Mario Kart® Wii finished as the No. 2 game of the month.

• Six of the top 10 games of the month are for Nintendo systems: Mario Kart Wii (No. 2), Wii Play™ (No. 4), Super Smash Bros.® Brawl (No. 5), Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (No. 7), Pokémon® Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (No. 8) and Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (No. 9).

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl crossed the 3 million sales mark in the United States.

• Wii and Nintendo DS™ again finished as the two top-selling hardware systems.

Top Bottom