• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Moray

I think it would help MS to drop the Arcade and Elite models altogether and then drop the price on the Premium. This would probably help improve their supply chain, reduce consumer confusion, and maybe have a big impact on the perceived cost of the 360 (some may see the $449 Elite in the store and get a bad taste in their mouth).

But without any financial data that's just an empty suggestion :p

GameGamer

Jaruru said:
Wii > Sony "family" + Xbox360 is simply unexpected.
We all know that Wii is going strong, but THAT STRONG???

way to go Mario Kart Wii. been playing with friends online/offline for weeks, this game is so much fun :D

let's wait for next month NPD for the WiiFit/Wii numbers. and see how long will it stay on the chart.

PS: Just got my GAF acc activated. this is my first post. HELLO ALL~

Welcome!

I don't think WiiFit will be as popular. But then again I thought to Wii sales would die down quickly after launch : P

Hero

dammitmattt said:
It wasn't a ban bet. It was Bish having fun. "Bet on it" != ban bet.

Even so, it's still a bet you lost.

No comment on your "GTAIV will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1" not coming true? But hey, good prediction on Mario Kart. Spot on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BTRA said:
Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros says hi.

The fact is, Wii's top sellers games and franchises from last gen and beyond. What new franchises have we seen on the Wii from Nintendo?
I agree with this. Outside of the casual games (Wii Sports and the like), nearly every major Nintendo release is just another installment in one of their long standing franchises (not that I have a problem with that).

I would love to see Nintendo create some original IPs of the same quality as a Mario or Zelda game for once. It seems that, whenever they do something original, it's a type of game that doesn't even begin to appeal to me.

No comment on your "GTAIV will outsell Mario Kart 5 to 1" not coming true? But hey, good prediction on Mario Kart. Spot on.
Nintendo is proving that you need not put a lot of effort into a game and it will sell big if the right name is on the box. Mario Kart Wii is one of the laziest efforts I've seen from them in a while. It's almost insulting. At least stuff like Mario Galaxy is truly an amazing effort which proves just how amazing Nintendo can be.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm sure they could all be roughly re-created on the Wii, but the sacrifices would go beyond visuals. Think for a second about the library the XBOX offered, however, and you'll see that many things we take for granted now are more demanding that you'd think. Half-Life 2, for instance, uses similar physics to Bioshock yet the XBOX could not even begin to handle HL2 properly. The framerate constantly dropped into the toilet the second the physics engaged to any significant degree.

Wii versions of most of these games would feature less complex physical interactions, smaller environments, and other downgrades. I mean, lets face it, bringing a game like Bioshock to the Wii is probably a greater task than bringing something like Max Payne 2 or Mafia to the PS2 and we all know how awful that port was. Sure, it was the same basic game in the end, but the quality of the experience was reduced to the point where there would be no point in bothering with that version. Wii versions of these modern games would have to undergo even greater downgrades. At least the PS2 versions of those games used downgraded versions of original assets.
Oh, I'm not saying there wouldn't be sacrifices or that there'd be some parity between releases... I'm just saying the core game designs in those latter two aren't anything that couldn't be done on Wii. We've really yet to see a flood of major designs this gen that couldn't be done on Wii/Xbox level tech, though there have been a few (COD4, AC, etc).

dark10x said:
I agree with this. Outside of the casual games (Wii Sports and the like), nearly every major Nintendo release is just another installment in one of their long standing franchises (not that I have a problem with that).

I would love to see Nintendo create some original IPs of the same quality as a Mario or Zelda game for once. It seems that, whenever they do something original, it's a type of game that doesn't even begin to appeal to me.
Well, there's Disaster... and not much else actually. :/

I'd expect there's more in the pipe though given Nintendo's already gone through nearly all their major brands in the platform's first 18 months...

Deku

Banned
dark10x said:
I don't understand this either.

I'm not overly concerned with the Wii taking over the industry, however. The audience buying Wii is simply too different and there is still money to be made on the HD front.

That's simply not true.

Not to make this personal and I'm not really THAT happy, but the technology issue has been overwrought and overplayed here on GAF.

I don't think the games industry is a technology business, and the fact that so much of GAF ties their arguments to technology is what makes numbers like these a vindication that a lot of people here have their head up the wrong hole.

Also it's nice to see people who tie their entire self worth to how much processing power and bump mapping their portable or console can do write long emo rants about how their world is ending. There's also a narcissistic dimension where posters would often equate their tastes and views on technology as the absolute truth and when it doesn't pan out, it's always nice to watch the trainwreck. I mean most of us slowdown when we see an accident.

Same difference.

borghe said:
not when I had posted that you didn't. ;)

Well, I typed it in my head :)

given the same percentages and timeframe? really? WiiWare launched with 6 entirely new IPs. Next week out of the two games coming one is an entirely new IP. And we know with what's in development that the vast majority are also new IPs. PS3 and 360 win hands down due to being to market longer. But just like I said with the Wii itself, it is more than apparent that now that WiiWare is launched, most of the items coming to it (at least one game a week according to Nintendo) will be almost all new IPs so far.

I didn't talk about timelines at all! Just the present state. We can't reverse time. We can only compare the here and the now to the here and the now.

My assertion was actually that it is happening to a significantly greater degree on the Wii, which I stand by hands down. The majority of them might not stick, and they might not all be great or even good, but you are seeing a staggeringly larger number of new IPs come out on the wii than the other two systems combined. Of course that is because the wii is lower cost and lower risk... but still... the original argument was that wii is killing core gaming, and if anything the wii seems to be where the new life blood of core gaming is coming from, with 360 and PS3 seeming largely content with continuing the games and IPs that dominated last gen for the most part.

There are a ton of new IPs on the Wii, no doubt, but that doesn't mean that they are aimed at you or me. That was what I was trying to say that I disagreed with your "core" assertion. The AAA 3rd party developers are still mainly focused on the HD platforms, whether that's wise (Infinity Ward) or not (too many to name).

And I've never, ever argued that there aren't large amounts of "core" gaming to be had. That argument is absolutely ridiculous. I'm still suffering "Boom Blox arm" from a four-hour session last night :D

jarrod said:
Oh, I'm not saying there wouldn't be sacrifices or that there'd be some parity between releases... I'm just saying the core game designs in those latter two aren't anything that couldn't be done on Wii. We've really yet to see a flood of major designs this gen that couldn't be done on Wii/Xbox level tech, though there have been a few (COD4, AC, etc).

The HD generation is more about scale, fidelity, and online integration, three things that the Wii can't match in its current state.

And I don't even want watered-down versions of next-gen games, not should you. Give me more Boom Blox and Wii Sports!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Again, Max Payne 2 and Mafia (just two examples) played exactly like the original games...but the experience was so diminished in so many ways that the games become virtually unplayable in comparison to the original releases. Porting any number of modern concepts to the Wii would result in too significant a compromise. The experience would be lost.

I hate the fact that many ideas would become impossible to realize on the Wii.

Not to make this personal and I'm not really THAT happy, but the technology issue has been overwrought and overplayed here on GAF.
I'm only unhappy simply because technology DOES massively improve the gaming experience for me. I don't understand how this sort of preference is any different from those wanking off to the Wii-mote.

I'd hope that both can continue to exist, honestly. At times, I do enjoy what the Wii brings to the table. I'd hate to see any of the platforms completely fail at this point.

Deku

Banned
dammitmattt said:
This generation is more about scale, fidelity, and online integration, three things that the Wii can't match in its current state.

I'm not sure where you pulled this from but if this is true, we'd be seeing very different charts.

On-line plays a role this generation, but as the recent BBC/Wii deal underlines, the Wii actually provides equal value to a lot of people when it comes to being a set-top box even when it's massively outclassed by its competition. The utility channels are popular enough and good enough.

That's something GAF has trouble understanding since we've been conditioned in gaming, that more is always better.

Odysseus

Banned
dammitmattt said:
This generation is more about scale, fidelity, and online integration, three things that the Wii can't match in its current state.

this generation doesn't appear to be about those things at all

Shiggy

dammitmattt said:

That's what you think. The majority of gamers thinks an innovative input method is more appealing.

Deku said:
I'm not sure where you pulled this from but if this is true, we'd be seeing very different charts.

On-line plays a role this generation, but as the recent BBC/Wii deal underlines, the Wii actually provides equal value to a lot of people when it comes to being a set-top box even when it's massively outclassed by its competition. The utility channels are popular enough and good enough.

That's something GAF has trouble understanding since we've been conditioned in gaming, that more is always better.

I didn't clarify. I meant the HD consoles where I typed "this generation." I was trying to explain what defines the PS3/360 systems over and above the PS2/Xbox/GC.

Including all three systems, this generation is all about the Wii first and online second.

EDIT: GAH!!! Four quotes in four seconds.

jarrod

Banned
dammitmattt said:

And I don't even want watered-down versions of next-gen games, not should you. Give me more Boom Blox and Wii Sports!!!
I'm not disagreeing... I just think in retrospect, scaling the chipsets and memory was probably the wrong direction while expanding controller interface seems to be the winner. Not that I mind, I'm getting two amazing and complimentary consoles out of it with Xbox 360 and Wii.

Evlar

Banned
IMHO the only generation that's been "about" anything was the PS1/N64 generation. That was very much about rolling out 3D and disc-based media. Generations before and since have only been about selling upgrades to existing presentation and development techniques.

The one thing that might qualify as a 3-D transition type event would be the Wiimote... And I'm not willing to make that argument right now.

EDIT: Seems I agree with dammitmatt, at least partially.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Again, Max Payne 2 and Mafia (just two examples) played exactly like the original games...but the experience was so diminished in so many ways that the games become virtually unplayable in comparison to the original releases. Porting any number of modern concepts to the Wii would result in too significant a compromise. The experience would be lost.
And again, it's not about subjective value judgements, it's about it being literally possible. And for the most part, it is.

dark10x said:
I hate the fact that many ideas would become impossible to realize on the Wii.
Well, that largely goes for all the platforms honestly. Personally, I think the diversity's great.

vdo

pr0cs said:
I have no solid data on Japan but from what I understand HD is commonplace there and still the Wii does a lot better than the PS3 and 360 so the HD generation isn't that big of a deal.

Hmm...good point about Japan, forgot about that.

pr0cs said:
The Wii is just something people who don't normally game on want to have. Shit, the other day at EB a woman who had to be 70 came in and asked if they had any Wiis in stock. That shit would NEVER happen for a PS3 or 360, no matter how many casual games those platforms might have.

Yeah, the consumer awareness of the Wii is just phenomenal.

Acosta

Deku said:

I don't think the games industry is a technology business

You are completely wrong. This is one of the most technology demanding business around, and there is a large trajectory of efforts to prove it.

Seriously, so wrong is not even funny, get your facts straight and don´t disrespect all the history of this field (Nintendo's efforts included).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BTRA said:
Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros says hi.

The fact is, Wii's top sellers games and franchises from last gen and beyond. What new franchises have we seen on the Wii from Nintendo?
We were specifically talking about third parties. thank you come again. :D

I've never insisted anything about Nintendo in this conversation now. The only thing Nintendo did was segment the wii so unbelievably far away from the PS3 and 360 that developers had no alternative other than creating entirely different games/experiences on the system (aside from the much too often PS2 port).

So yes, when it comes to third parties, Wii without question has a higher percentage of new IPs vs the PS360 which, when it comes to third parties, has a much lower percentage of new IPs and higher percentage of established IPs and sequels.

Acosta said:
You are completely wrong. This is one of the most technology demanding business around, and there is a large trajectory of efforts to prove it.

Seriously, so wrong is not even funny, get your facts straight and don´t disrespect all the history of this field (Nintendo's efforts included).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'technology demanding'. Could you elaborate?

The PS2, the weakest of the three last-gen, was market leader. And wasn't the PSX less powerful than the N64? I don't get the technology debate.

mentalfloss said:
And the IPs you've listed could also be done on Wii -- they simply have a graphical facelift. There is nothing, aside from a pure aesthetic that could differentiate a Wii version from the corresponding 360 version of Gears, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Resistance and Uncharted.

Yeah I'll have to disagree here - the graphics really add to the (initial) immersive quality of the gameplay in games like these, where presentation counts for a lot. Would MGS2 have given you the same impact initially had you played it on the PS1?

borghe

hydragonwarrior said:
Yeah I'll have to disagree here - the graphics really add to the (initial) immersive quality of the gameplay in games like these, where presentation counts for a lot. Would MGS2 have given you the same impact initially had you played it on the PS1?
same impact? of course not? comparable impact? MGS says yes. ;)

hint: when trying to base the merit for your argument on graphics, don't use games from from the same series from different generations with very very very very similar control and gameplay mechanics. :) It's like arguing that Zelda TP couldn't be done on the PSX/N64 era because of graphics, while fans of OoT and MM might entirely disagree with you.

hydragonwarrior said:

I'd probably have hated it just as much. :D

Acosta

Pureauthor said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'technology demanding'. Could you elaborate?

What is there to elaborate? Ask Nvidia or ATI if they think this is not a technology business and let's see what they answer.

There has been a constant demanding of new technologies to fuel the electronic gaming field since the beginning. Nintendo just focused on other types of technologies for making Wii, but it's still technology.

argon

TheGrayGhost said:
The PS2, the weakest of the three last-gen, was market leader. And wasn't the PSX less powerful than the N64? I don't get the technology debate.

True, but to be fair, Nintendo failed to embrace what the new technology at the time (CD-ROM) and stuck with an older tech, cartridges. That effectively killed the N64's chances of being the market leader.

The debate should not be about making sure bleeding-edge technology is included in every new console iteration, but rather how effectively the console manufacturer has balanced the needs of the development community with the priorities of the consumer.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The thread tile is so completely apt to the reactions and arguments we're seeing here.

Zerachiel

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Considering that this is GAF, this stigma will never be allowed to die.
Truth is irrelevant.

To be fair, while the 360 does have good games if you're not interested in shooters, probably enough to justify the purchase, without shooters it's far from the greatest library of all time that some have built it up to be. Certainly the Wii's lineup shits all over the 360's minus shooters.

BTRA

Banned
To put an end to this entire thread.

You "hardcore gamers" say Nintendo created a new market?
You say PS2 was a hardcore machine?

I say Nintendo simply stole the market from the PS2. The fact of the matter is, you hardcore gamers represent a small and shrinking market. Proof of this is the horrible PS3 and Xbox 360 sales.

I am tired of these litigations that Nintendo is ruining the videogame market, yet when the PS2 dominated everything was A-Okay!

Get over yourselves, if you're hardcore you own all systems. Each has their own individual contributions to this generation of consoles.

The fact of the matter is, the Wii is the future. The way we interact with videogames is changing and all you "hardcore" are living in the past.

You ridicule Nintendo say they are mainstream or they sold out. What do you think the PS1 and PS2 were? They were huge mainstream videogame consoles, but the Wii has taken it to the next level. More and more people are joining our market.

Why are you making fun of them? Why are you trying to scare them away? Why would you attack someone who now has and shares interest in something you do? Literally, what the fuck are you thinking?

Acosta said:
What is there to elaborate? Ask Nvidia or ATI if they think this is not a technology business and let's see what they answer.

There has been a constant demanding of new technologies to fuel the electronic gaming field since the beginning. Nintendo just focused on other types of technologies for making Wii, but it's still technology.

I don't question that that has indeed occurred. The question is whether that is indeed an inevitability. The sales seems to bear out that it's not, since the consumers don't know or care about technology involved.

Redd

Zerachiel said:
To be fair, while the 360 does have good games if you're not interested in shooters, probably enough to justify the purchase, without shooters it's far from the greatest library of all time that some have built it up to be. Certainly the Wii's lineup shits all over the 360's minus shooters.

360 has a great lineup of RPGs too.

Acosta said:

Oh I completely agree. The best tech always reigns supreme. That's why Xbox won last gen and PSP crushed DS. Of course, to a wise scholar such as yourself, the days of 3DO domination are perhaps at the forefront of your mind.

borghe

argon said:
True, but to be fair, Nintendo failed to embrace what the new technology at the time (CD-ROM) and stuck with an older tech, cartridges. That effectively killed the N64's chances of being the market leader.
this is a VERY common fallacy. the effects of cd-rom from the consumer standpoint didn't really come into play until long after the PSX had usurped the throne. it affected third parties long before public perception thanks to the insanely cheaper cost to manufacture cartridges compared to CDs. Still, Nintendo's bullet points for not using CD were actually dead on (access time, no read/write, mechanical failure, media degradation, etc). Just that none of them could outweigh the cost differential that existed by the time both systems hit maturity.

FrankT

Zerachiel said:

Wow what a bunch of crap and I own a Wii so don't go their.

BTRA

Banned
borghe said:

I've never insisted anything about Nintendo in this conversation now. The only thing Nintendo did was segment the wii so unbelievably far away from the PS3 and 360 that developers had no alternative other than creating entirely different games/experiences on the system (aside from the much too often PS2 port).

So yes, when it comes to third parties, Wii without question has a higher percentage of new IPs vs the PS360 which, when it comes to third parties, has a much lower percentage of new IPs and higher percentage of established IPs and sequels.

There is a huge difference between creating one game and creating a franchise.

One game does not equal a franchise.

What newly created third party franchises are there on the Wii?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
hydragonwarrior said:

I don't know, I played the original MGS and I was wowed, then I played MGS2 and it was meh... and the day I finished MGS1 was the day I began MGS2.

No6

borghe said:

If you're going to count things like DQS and MySims as "brand new IPs" then you're going to lose your argument. I know you tried to play list wars earlier but you're falling into the "GAF=everything" trap. There are a lot of new IPs on the 360 (PS3 not so much) that don't get the massive fanboy pumping as most Wii 3rd party games, yet still sold the same (or more) as things on your list. The difference is that the PS360 fanboy contingent doesn't seem to "keep an eye on" (as if it matters) every single new IP like it could be the next coming of Jesus.

I am not aware of a PS360 "Sadness", for instance.
The difference in power wasn't remotely as large.
Jarrod said:
And again, it's not about subjective value judgements, it's about it being literally possible. And for the most part, it is.
I could just as easily say that every Wii game is "literally" possible on the PS360. It would entirely miss the point, though, just like your post.

pr0cs

Zerachiel said:
Certainly the Wii's lineup shits all over the 360's minus shooters.
This is really subjective and I have a feeling a LOT of people would disagree with you, I'm not sure that statement even belongs in this thread to be honest.

ksamedi

Wii sales are totally deserved. New experiences will always win over improvements of old experiences. The reason why so many HD games became complex is that its very hard to innovate in that space. The controller just won't let you. So instead the developers add to existing mechanics instead of producing new ones. The Wii totally went against this line of thinking and gave developers something new to play with. Whats foolish though is that developers think that the Wii is played by people who like shallow or casual games which is far from true. The only thing Nintendo did was introduce new concepts that are more intuitive to play and more interactive. New concepts are always introduced in a light way and expanded upon with sequals. Third parties took this as shallow and casual yet if you look at Nintendo games there is plenty of gameplay challenge and depth even in there most casual games. Third parties should try to think about how to create new concepts instead of bringin shallow games to the Wii and they will find much more succes.

borghe

dead souls said:
Oh I completely agree. The best tech always reigns supreme. That's why Xbox won last gen and PSP crushed DS. Of course, to a wise scholar such as yourself, the days of 3DO domination are perhaps at the forefront of your mind.
:lol :lol

I love you. I don't necessarily agree with everything you are saying or the point you're trying to make, but this is one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.. mostly because I owned a 3DO once it hit $399.

LCGeek

formerly sane
argon said:

Way to use one component that in the end that didn't really matter. A year late, Higher licensing and cartridge costs with the bad blood were more of the nail in the coffin than cartridges. Funny about about your argument is all the reasons yamauchi hated optical media came true and it's still a nasty hit today because the problem transfer speeds has yet to be resolved on big level outside of GC not one optical media system has avoided the issues he mentioned. BR and bigger storage mediums are proving only worse as time goes. Had the industry bothered to drive the costs down and invest in formats like flash or similiar things to cartridges we easily could be a good point today in terms of storage, better than dvd and not worry about the bs optical media brings.

Odysseus

Banned
pr0cs said:
This is really subjective and I have a feeling a LOT of people would disagree with you, I'm not sure that statement even belongs in this thread to be honest.

a lot more would agree, though.

jman2050

Acosta said:

I think the point is that the technology is merely developed as a tool for improving the entertainment/interaction aspect of video games, which is the entire point. If you've noticed, everything Nintendo has ever done from a technology standpoint was done with the express purpose of making things easier for developers and making things more accessible for consumers. Now, whether this actually *worked* all the time is another story, but given their overwhelming success in the past and now, it's safe to say they've succeeded more often than not.

Technology is a big part of the industry no doubt, but it is still very much an entertainment industry through and through. Unless you want to argue that the myriad of techniques and tools available to those in the movie and music industries to improve their medium by means of newly-developed technologies qualifies both as tech-first industries.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
I could just as easily say that every Wii game is "literally" possible on the PS360. It would entirely miss the point, though, just like your post.
In terms of rendering sure... but there's several Wii game designs that just couldn't be replicated thanks to interface. Hell, there's even downloadables like Lost Winds that you couldn't really pull off on PS360 as is.

I'm not saying PS360 class platforms are just a nice coat of paint though, there's obvious advantages the HD twins present in terms of processing muscle allowing for scale or physics that just could be done on Wii class hardware (nevermind the downloadable/storage sub-argument) as there are advantages inherent in any 5 year cycle shift... and I named a few of them too if you were paying attention.

borghe

BTRA said:
There is a huge difference between creating one game and creating a franchise.

One game does not equal a franchise.

What newly created third party franchises are there on the Wii?
umm.. you're trying to split hairs and coming up wrong. IP = intellectual property. If you create new characters, a new setting/world, new story, etc without basis on previous licenses or characters, that's a new IP. Whether it's a franchise or not depends on sales. But regardless you spent developmental money to create an entirely new unestablished basis for a game. This is much more commendable (which is why it is usually commended) than creating a new game with a well known license or character behind it. and if you are trying to insist that the PS360 has a higher percentage of such games in comparison to franchise/licensed titles than Wii does, well, you'd be wrong... just look at the lists between the two.

As for DQS, it probably wasn't entirely apt to include it. I merely did because right from the get go anyone could see that it had nothing to do with the DQ series at all aside from art style and name.

MySims I do stand behind though as a new IP, just because even more so than DQS, it has nothing to do with the Sims game aside from inherent name only, and this is even more apparent to anyone looking at the game.

Acosta

Pureauthor said:
I don't question that that has indeed occurred. The question is whether that is indeed an inevitability. The sales seems to bear out that it's not, since the consumers don't know or care about technology involved.

Nintendo had to develop certain technology to make Wii as it is. And consumers care about it, they want the technology of the control devices that Nintendo integrated and refined. Just because is a different technology of a graphical card doesn't mean is not technology.

Top Bottom