• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Redd said:
Makes you wonder about Japan. I know I'm part of the problem going with the PS3 over the 360(would love to have both) to compliment my Wii but I need the next installment of MGS and Final Fantasy.

If you (or anyone) were going into the PS3 to get the same experiences you had on the PS2, I hope you have a lot of patience :/

Acosta

fernoca said:
Keep in mind, that the chipsets on the Wii (like Broadway and Hollywood) are all new..along with everything else..there's no such thing as Nintendo recycling GameCube's technology to make Wiis...

The whole "recyling GameCube" and "2 GCN duct-taped together" ideas started when Matt (from IGN) started posting info about his sources and people he knew that were talking about how the Wii was slightly more powerful than an Xbox oand/or basically twice as powerful as the GameCube..or that the Wii was just an overclocked GameCube..

I think it's pretty safe to say that Broadway and Hollywood are modest evolutions of Gekko and Flipper (Broadway is probably a Flipper with a higher clock speed). And many developers have confirmed that the Wii SDK were mostly the same of the GC one, with many common libraries plus some added ones for the control. The "2 GCN duct-taped together" came from Chris Hecker's rant that probably knows about this way more than us as he has access to Wii developing kits and the knowledge to understand it.

In any case, this was not the point and is something very difficult to discuss without the official specs, it made sense in the conversation between Pureauthor and me and that's it.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
Maybe (although if I can play Lemmings or PC RTSs on consoles then I don't think it would be that bad), but at the same time you're now trying to narrow what constitutes game design. Unfortunately this walks right into the games/art argument so I'll leave it alone with just that I think Lost Winds could be done, but it would be at the same level of aggravation that, say, the LOTR RTS game had on 360.
The 360 RTS ports keep basically the same design, it's just more cumbersome of an interface thanks to fewer button and slower response for analog vs mouse (though LoTR was pretty playable, at least the demo was imo). Lost Winds would literally need to change level designs and mechanics to pull it off.

No6 said:
Personally I don't think we'll ever see much on the Wii that couldn't be replicated on the PCS3 (and PS360PC if MS ever lets us use a mouse), but that's largely due to what I feel is underpowered tech in the Wii controllers. I think a big part of the reason we're seeing so much casual fodder on the Wii is because the controller is just too limited. I'd have much rather had another sensor bar and just stripped out the worthless remote speaker.
I wouldn't say so, it took quite awhile for game makers to get up to speed on DS also, but now we're seeing devs like Team Ninja, Jupiter or Level-5 doing really impressive things on it. On interface alone, there's bound to be designs when we start getting into 3rd gen games that just couldn't be replicated on the HD twins... just as we really started seeing HD games whose scale was beyond last gen class chipsets in it's 3rd gen software cycle (COD4, AC, etc).

Redd

dammitmattt said:
If you (or anyone) were going into the PS3 to get the same experiences you had on the PS2, I hope you have a lot of patience :/

Really was leaning toward the 360 since it was cheaper and I was fine with DVDs. All I needed was a confirmation from Konami and Square for ports later on and I would have one right now. I'm such a game fanboy it's sad but at least I hold little to no loyalties to consoles so it's not all bad.:D

Acosta said:
Nintendo had to develop certain technology to make Wii as it is. And consumers care about it, they want the technology of the control devices that Nintendo integrated and refined. Just because is a different technology of a graphical card doesn't mean is not technology.

Wrong. Consumers only care about accessibility. Try explaining to them that the accelerometers in the Wii cost a buck to make, or the new X-mote could have superior motion sensing. They'll give you a blank stare. To the average consumer, there's no difference between Link's Crossbow Training and Duck Hunt.

No6 said:
TC and Elebits could certainly be done with a standard controller, and whether or not fun is removed is not the contention. Boom Blox I haven't played but from the videos it looks like it could be done easily with a sixaxis (or some really arcane analog method).

Technically you could use a calculator to play a first person shooter if removing fun was 'not a contention.'

Jammy

Banned
soldat7 said:
To my knowledge the only third-party game on Wii not aimed at the casual market to go over a million is RE4. That isn't very encouraging for third-party developers.

I'd love to be wrong.

Red Steel
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

There's two more. And I know there's a couple more. What can you say about PS3? Call of Duty 4 and Assasin's Creed? :lol And these were on HUGE multi-million dollar budgets. Wii third parties are just more successful.

Innotech

Banned
what I really like about the third party on Wii is that it is able to explore new ideas. on the HD consoles, considerable risk is involved, so the great majority of announced game development tends to stick to several well established genres, not really breaking new ground. the Wii games can afford to go really out there without a huge financial loss if the idea falls through. Thats one definite benefit.

Acosta

kame-sennin said:
Wrong. Consumers only care about accessibility. Try explaining to them that the accelerometers in the Wii cost a buck to make, or the new X-mote could have superior motion sensing. They'll give you a blank stare. To the average consumer, theirs no difference between Link's Crossbow Training and Duck Hunt.

No, you are wrong because you are missing the point. Maybe what the public wants is "that game that is like playing tennis I saw on TV last night" and, as you say, they don´t care about the technology that makes it possible. But they care about that "accesibility" you are mentioning, and to achieve that there is a technology behind.

Maybe people has not a perception about technology but they care about what technology can do for them, and this is especially true in videogames.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dammitmattt said:
Most of these are quality games. Many of them are arcade games. Retort?
Many?? dude, there are a shitton of arcade games on there. and for all of the retail games, there are still like 3 shooters to everyone you have listed.

As for the PS3 being even more shooter centric, the problem is that the 360 gets a lot of PC ports/co-develops that the PS3 doesn't.

The 360 lineup is VERY centered around shooters, sports, and driving. The same as the XBox was. It's their bread and butter. Take them away and you would probably cut the 360's lineup by over 50%.

EDIT - AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A BAD THING. As long as you like those game types, the 360 has a reasonably well balanced slate. If you don't like those game types, the slate is a bit less balanced.

It is the same thing as saying "Nintendo's slate is mainly made up of core nintendo titles appealing to all ages gamers." If you are into shooters, sports games and racers, the Nintendo lineup isn't all that balanced. If you don't care for that type of game, then the Nintendo lineup is pretty damn balanced.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Stormbringer said:
45.jpg

46.jpg

"Get it guys ? Third party games DON'T sell well on Nintendo consoles ! Just look at the NPD top 10 !!!"

Is that total revenue or total unit sales? I'd love to see the average unit sales of Nintendo titles vs Third Party games.

I mean I don't know for sure but it seems like outside of the major third party brands or licenses (e.g. Guitar Hero) and the occasional successfuly scratched itch (e.g. Carnival Games) third party titles aren't doing so hot on an individual basis.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
TC and Elebits could certainly be done with a standard controller, and whether or not fun is removed is not the contention. Boom Blox I haven't played but from the videos it looks like it could be done easily with a sixaxis (or some really arcane analog method).
TC *really* couldn't... it's basically impossible to get the level of precision or speed you'd need with further abstracted directional controls like analog sticks or dpads. It really demands a more immediate, more direct sort of control (be it mouse, touch screen, or IR pointer).

Acosta said:
I think it's pretty safe to say that Broadway and Hollywood are modest evolutions of Gekko and Flipper (Broadway is probably a Flipper with a higher clock speed). And many developers have confirmed that the Wii SDK were mostly the same of the GC one, with many common libraries plus some added ones for the control. The "2 GCN duct-taped together" came from Chris Hecker's rant that probably knows about this way more than us as he has access to Wii developing kits and the knowledge to understand it.

In any case, this was not the point and is something very difficult to discuss without the official specs, it made sense in the conversation between Pureauthor and me and that's it.
Being fair, the R&D that went into the "modest evolution" of Hollywood was comparable to their R&D investment that went into developing Xenos according to ATI.

Wii's chipset is certainly derivative of GameCube, but it's still newer tech with a smaller die, higher transistor count (moreso than just scaled too) and it's ultra low consumption. Nintendo didn't recycle chips, they spent serious investment on improving and refining these chips.

Acosta said:
No, you are wrong because you are missing the point. Maybe what the public wants is "that game that is like playing tennis I saw on TV last night" and, as you say, they don´t care about the technology that makes it possible. But they care about that "accesibility" you are mentioning, and to achieve that there is a technology behind.

Maybe people has not a perception about technology but they care about what technology can do for them, and this is especially true in videogames.

But then technology is not the driving force, is it? There are lots of ways to make videogames accessible. Flash games are a good example of a genre that appeals to new gamers without any change in technology. They are arguably a step backwards, which makes this statement:

Acosta said:
I'm clearly saying that is a key element and there is a history to prove it. Videogames can't evolve if technology don't evolve with them.

flatly incorrect.

Acosta said:
Do you want an example of a business that doesn't rely that much on technology? books. Books is a pure content business which shows few key technology advancements through its story.

Pop-up books.

Jammy

Banned
jetjevons said:
Is that total revenue or total unit sales? I'd love to see the average unit sales of Nintendo titles vs Third Party games.

I mean I don't know for sure but it seems like outside of the major third party brands or licenses (e.g. Guitar Hero) and the occasional successfuly scratched itch (e.g. Carnival Games) third party titles aren't doing so hot on an individual basis.

Where are you pulling this shit from? :lol Please, I'd like to know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jetjevons said:

So...

... other than titles that do well, there are no titles that do well.

jman2050

Acosta said:

As of now I can probably state that I misunderstood your point. I agree that technology, whether it's better graphics or implementation of motion controls, is an integral part of the industry right now. That doesn't make the industry technology-driven though, as the makeup of a game and it's worth in the marketplace extends far behind the technology behind it. The improved technology is a tool, and the tools by themselves don't make the game.

borghe said:
Many?? dude, there are a shitton of arcade games on there. and for all of the retail games, there are still like 3 shooters to everyone you have listed.

Not even close. I only left off about 10 shooters, 10 sports games, and 5 driving games. There are a shitton of arcade games on there because I took it directly from my GT, like I said. I could've eliminated those and still had a huge list.

As for the PS3 being even more shooter centric, the problem is that the 360 gets a lot of PC ports/co-develops that the PS3 doesn't.

That's not true either. The PS3 is more shooter-centric because it doesn't have a lot of the Japanese exclusives like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Dead Rising, Beautiful Katamari, and more to balance out the shooters, which they mostly share aside from exclusives like Halo, BioShock, Gears, and Resistance.

The 360 lineup is VERY centered around shooters, sports, and driving. The same as the XBox was. It's their bread and butter. Take them away and you would probably cut the 360's lineup by over 50%.

Those also happen to be historically three of the biggest-selling genres of the past decade and they've always sold well. ON EVERY SYSTEM.

EDIT - AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A BAD THING. As long as you like those game types, the 360 has a reasonably well balanced slate. If you don't like those game types, the slate is a bit less balanced.

It is the same thing as saying "Nintendo's slate is mainly made up of core nintendo titles appealing to all ages gamers." If you are into shooters, sports games and racers, the Nintendo lineup isn't all that balanced. If you don't care for that type of game, then the Nintendo lineup is pretty damn balanced.

I don't care if you're saying it's a bad thing or not. You're factually incorrect about the 360 lineup. It has a ton more variety than you're giving it credit for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TheGrayGhost said:
The PS2, the weakest of the three last-gen, was market leader. And wasn't the PSX less powerful than the N64? I don't get the technology debate.
I've heard people mention this before, but that simply doesn't apply here. While it's true that the PS2 was weaker than the XBOX and Gamecube, it was at least on a similar level. The three platforms were all clearly members of the same generation.

This is generally how each console "generation" has played out. The weakest systems have at least been reasonably comparable.

The Wii bucks that trend by literally using last generation hardware (with minor upgrades). The Wii moved in a completely different direction and that makes this situation unique.

Innotech

Banned
kame-sennin said:
But then technology is not the driving force, is it? There are lots of ways to make videogames accessible. Flash games are a good example of a genre that appeals to new gamers without any change in technology. They are arguably a step backwards, which makes this statement:

flatly incorrect.

Pop-up books.
and now, E-books. Look at Amazons Kindle.

Saitou

Banned
Acosta said:
Do you want an example of a business that doesn't rely that much on technology? books. Books is a pure content business which shows few key technology advancements through its story.
I am a book publisher and you, sir, are a nincompoop of the finest grade.

yoopoo

Banned
From Sony's pr.
More than 2 million software units were sold for PS3 in April, representing a year-over-year growth of 410%.
Holy hell, how bad were the software sales last year... and only 1 million of non GTA sales :O

dark10x

I think it's important to note that the Wii is indeed built around "new" technology. The graphics hardware may be dated, but its motion sensing capabilities certainly were not. It was this new technology that attracted people in the first place.

Neomoto

:lol Man, I know I'm late to the party but what the hell is going on? Wii outsold every competitor combined in the launch month of GTA IV? With shortages? :lol Come on, you have to be kidding me! And sales of x360 and PS3 went down week to week? That's just pathetic imo. If you have mentioned that this would happen, say 1 or 2 months ago, you would've likely been banned.

I wonder what publishers are thinking right now when they see how even in the US Wii is handing out the ass-beating like there is no tomorrow even with releases like GTA IV and Halo 3 and such, in it's strongest market. Seriously, it's truly amazing and it's been more than 1.5 years already and it still experiencing massive shortages, and Mario Kart and Brawl are just out and WiiFit is there for next week, so that's new 3 mega sellers.

I can't help but wonder what the hell most publishers are doing, there is a gigantic userbase that are being left out. And they do buy games a LOT. In fucking droves, anyone can see it every week just by looking at the charts and such (also, already multiple Wii (yes, core) games are right there where you take a look at the best selling core games this generation. Where is the quality support huh? Is it really so difficult to make a additional Wii version alongside "HD versions" ? Activision took the change and even with a lesser product they got a LOT of sales, and even now, 6 months later it's still going very strong. I just can't understand why the quality support STILL is shit (I am a proud owner of a Wii and I seriously love it but you have to be blind to not see it, even though there are a number of exceptions). Surely Wii has more than proven itself, so when exactly are they going to "jump on the bandwagon", if ever? Not saying they should shift all focus or whatever, but for the love of god, a Wii build of some of your high profiles games isn't too much to ask? Even WiiWare, with software from INDIE developers is more appealing than most of the 3rd party Wii titles in the pipe-line.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of all the excuses and shit, at least treat it like a equal console sometimes (especially since it's the market leader). Seems incredibly stupid that most company's do not even try one single big title on the system. Not one! It's a good thing I bought my Wii for the first party support, since third party's are clearly dropping the ball this generation, but it would sure be nice to get some some awesome 3rd party games on Wii too.

ksamedi

No6 said:

Oh man, please. How could TC be done? Let alone Elebits. The tactile feel of the Wiimote is just not possible with analog sticks. Bloom Blox is not possible with the sixaxis as well because it uses the pointer heavily and is designed as a one handed game. Besides those, you have Wiisports, FPS games like Metroid and games like Mario Party 8 or Mario and Sonic that are just not possible on traditional pads without losing the fun. Why do you think games like MP8 sell so well while in the Cube generation they had a much harder time?

Evlar

Banned
dark10x said:
I've heard people mention this before, but that simply doesn't apply here. While it's true that the PS2 was weaker than the XBOX and Gamecube, it was at least on a similar level. The three platforms were all clearly members of the same generation.

This is generally how each console "generation" has played out. The weakest systems have at least been reasonably comparable.

The Wii bucks that trend by literally using last generation hardware (with minor upgrades). The Wii moved in a completely different direction and that makes this situation unique.
I think, with patience, those advances will come. We'll have our cake and eat it too, all of HD and more content and better physics/emergent behavior engines and motion control. It'll be available next gen if not earlier. The important thing about Wii is this: all of those technologies were marching along already, they were viable in the marketplace already in at least an embryonic state EXCEPT motion/pointer control (which had been stillborn after a few feeble attempts). Wii is the trojan horse for a breakthrough technology.

This generation will be split in terms of advancements: interface advances on one side, graphics and engine advances on the other side. That's undoubtedly painful. Next gen will be grand.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Neomoto said:
:lol Man, I know I'm late to the party but what the hell is going on? Wii outsold every competitor combined in the launch month of GTA IV? With shortages? :lol Come on, you have to be kidding me! And sales of x360 and PS3 went down week to week? That's just pathetic imo. If you have mentioned that this would happen, say 1 or 2 months ago, you would've likely been banned.

I wonder what publishers are thinking right now when they see how even in the US Wii is handing out the ass-beating like there is no tomorrow even with releases like GTA IV and Halo 3 and such, in it's strongest market. Seriously, it's truly amazing and it's been more than 1.5 years already and it still experiencing massive shortages, and Mario Kart and Brawl are just out and WiiFit is there for next week, so that's new 3 mega sellers.

To Halo 3's credit, the 360 did exceed the Wii the month of September. I agree with the tone of your post though.

dark10x

Evlar said:
I think, with patience, those advances will come. We'll have our cake and eat it too, all of HD and more content and better physics/emergent behavior engines and motion control. It'll be available next gen if not earlier. The important thing about Wii is this: all of those technologies were marching along already, they were viable in the marketplace already in at least an embryonic state EXCEPT motion/pointer control (which had been stillborn after a few feeble attempts). Wii is the trojan horse for a breakthrough technology.

This generation will be split in terms of advancements: interface advances on one side, graphics and engine advances on the other side. That's undoubtedly painful. Next gen will be grand.
It will have to come from other companies then. It's likely that Nintendo's next platform will indeed be on the same level of XBOX360 and the like, but by the time that occurs, it will be many years too late. They will have essentially set everyone back by 5 years or so.

Then again, I'm not so sure I want everyone to adopt the same strategy. The Wii-mote is indeed a fun method of input for some games, but I most certainly would NOT want to play everything with such a setup.

I wouldn't mind if things continued as they are now with Nintendo focusing on its ideas while the other companies march on. That probably won't happen now, however.

At this point, the 360 has the best racing game (Forza 2), the best RPG (Lost Odyssey), the best fighting game (VF5 with online), the best third person shooter (Gears), shares the best sandbox action game (GTA4) with the PS3, and yes, it has the best shooter (Halo 3, or COD4, also on PS3).

The Wii definitely has the best platformer (Galaxy) and the best party games, but the 360 has better games in more genres than the Wii does at the moment.

Evlar

Banned
dark10x said:
It will have to come from other companies then. It's likely that Nintendo's next platform will indeed be on the same level of XBOX360 and the like, but by the time that occurs, it will be many years too late. They will have essentially set everyone back by 5 years or so.

Then again, I'm not so sure I want everyone to adopt the same strategy. The Wii-mote is indeed a fun method of input for some games, but I most certainly would NOT want to play everything with such a setup.

I wouldn't mind if things continued as they are now with Nintendo focusing on its ideas while the other companies march on. That probably won't happen now, however.
I don't see why we need to assume Nintendo's next console will be weaker than the competition. Nintendo's been at the front of the technology race in the past (SNES, N64 graphics), and it's been in last place (GBA, Wii). This company doesn't play by the same rulebook everyone else follows. If they find it in their best interest to push HD hard three or four years from now you can be certain the Wii's successor will be plenty capable.

I would say affordability is a constant throughout Nintendo's design portfolio (excepting the disastrous decision to stick with carts in the N64). Much will depend on what is affordable in 2011.

Talamius

Green Shinobi said:
At this point, the 360 has the best racing game (Forza 2), the best RPG (Lost Odyssey), the best fighting game (VF5 with online), the best third person shooter (Gears), shares the best sandbox action game (GTA4) with the PS3, and yes, it has the best shooter (Halo 3, or COD4, also on PS3).

The Wii definitely has the best platformer (Galaxy) and the best party games, but the 360 has better games in more genres than the Wii does at the moment.

The funny thing about "better" is that it's completely subjective. Many people would argue that Wii Sports is the best thing to happen to gaming in years, and their opinion means just as much as yours.

My jaw is on the floor after seeing Wii vs PS3 / 360 sales... Jesus Christ.

However, I really think that GTA is going to be one of those titles that keeps selling steadily for a long time so it might not be a huge spike, though I would love to be wrong. Hell, I just bought my brother a copy of San Andreas for XMas. Three years after it came out!

*Edit* Erm. By "just bought" I meant bought almost 6 months ago :lol

Jammy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

What about best sports game (PES 2008 Wii, MLB Power Pros, Wii Sports) or best action-adventure (Zelda: Twilight Princess)?

milanbaros

Member?
"More than 2 million software units were sold for PS3 in April, representing a year-over-year growth of 410%."

OMG is that as terrible as it sounds? They sold 1m non GTA games and last year was worse. I bet they were worried when less than 400k of PS3 games were sold in April last year. Wii play probably sold more than that for christ's sake.

avaya

Maria Bartiromo giggling like a schoolgirl playing Wii live on CNBC US Closing Bell while interviewing Reggie.

Nintendo wins.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

J-Rzez

Green Shinobi said:

:lol

OMG at this post. Honestly that's all I have to say. Way to use subjectives to no end. Check this out! PS3 has the best racing game (GT5:p), shares the best fighting game (VF5 ooh online), the BEST 3rd person shooter (Uncharted), the best action platformer (Ratchet), the best shooters (Resistance and CoD4).

IMHO the PS3 and 360 still have a totally killer library compared to the Wii's, but people are buying up the Wii still. Maybe because it's cheap, maybe it's because they overwhelming hipster media influence, or perhaps they genuinely enjoy those games.

All I know is, hopefully MS and Sony won't stoop to these levels next gen for these sales. That's the end of me being a console gamers and staying exclusive to PC from there on out then.

Top Bottom