• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I gave up with my Play-asia order and went with GCC instead. They shipped my white DS Lite few hours after I ordered it 2 days ago. Should receive it early next week. Great discovery you made Bastard66!

E-Nature

crazy
my co-worker ordered a DSL at gamechoiceclub on wednesday - and he already got it today (saturday)
china -> switzerland in just 2 days!
impossible to beat :D

RaidenZR

I feel like cancelling my Play-Asia order is pointless at this point, but I dunno. Is GCC that fuggin' fast? Did they steal P-A's shipment or something?

hooo

boooy
RaidenZR said:
I feel like cancelling my Play-Asia order is pointless at this point, but I dunno. Is GCC that fuggin' fast? Did they steal P-A's shipment or something?

I'm sure it's more like they sold the blue dsl's at cost for preorders to keep the $170 price, but they aren't willing to sell the white ones at a loss. I'd guess the white ones cost $180 or $190 looking at gcc's prices.

Me, I'm giving up on my play-asia order on monday and waiting for the US launch assuming it's in May.

Cheebs

RaidenZR said:
GCC is not fast, they are normal. Use 1-3 day shipping and you get it in that time. What is amazing is they have stock of the system. The reason? No one outside of GAF has a clue it exists. I am very shocked, yet pleased that a gaffer hasn't gone off and pimped the site out to IGN Boards or GameFaqs thus pretty much taking all the stock away for the gaffers in need of a lite. ;)

Keio

For a Finer World
Days like these... said:
People who ordered form Play Asia don't give up. I order an Ice Blue DSL early Saturday Morning and my staus just went to Preparing Order
But how about those who have had "preparing order" for more than a week now... I'm really disappointed after Play-Asia bigged up their free gifts and all that - now that GCC has been shining delivering Lites left and right, I'd love to cancel and turn to them, but an order that is being prepared can't be cancelled anymore...

guise

I just ordered a white lite with hunters and mario kart to ship over to England from GCC. Anyone else from the UK ordered from them... any idea if UPS charge tax or anything on delivery?

ant1532

Banned
DSC05844.jpg

DSC05843.jpg

DSC05845.jpg

DSC05846.jpg

DSC05851.jpg

DSC05848.jpg

DSC05852.jpg

:D

ps. i aint fat. :)

pumi123

sorry i dont have digicam and my phone camera is too crap to pick up the difference =p. It is really noticeable on the first warning screen when turning on the ds. The touchscreen lcd is more yellowish, different white tone than the upper screen. Does anyone have this problem? or is it just my ds lite. I dont notice it when playing game, but on white background and main menu, very noticeable. anyone with ds lite? help..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
pumi123 said:
sorry i dont have digicam and my phone camera is too crap to pick up the difference =p. It is really noticeable on the first warning screen when turning on the ds. The touchscreen lcd is more yellowish, different white tone than the upper screen. Does anyone have this problem? or is it just my ds lite. I dont notice it when playing game, but on white background and main menu, very noticeable. anyone with ds lite? help..

I think they are all like that. The digitizer kinda offsets the white a tiny bit on the bottom.

guise

For those dudes who ordered off GCC, how much do they mark up as the parcel value? Is that the figure that gets translated into customs/brokerage fees? or is it the whole order value inc. delivery?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Saw a used DS Lite at a Geo video game store out in Fukui yesterday. First time I've seen one used; it was a navy system in mint condition; someone either needed money badly or it was stolen. :) It was priced about 600 yen less than a new system, but my friend bought it anyway (it's for a friend of his back in the States that wants one badly).

They did let us try it out first; no dead pixels, and there were even Hori screen protectors, which looked really clear and seemed to reduce glare a bit. Might have to pick some up for myself now.

The "shortage" is definitely getting shorter now. My friend went to Toys R Us earlier that morning; the store got 40 crystal whites, 20+ ice blues, and 30+ navys, and this is out in a city even smaller than the one I live in.

RaidenZR

Lyte Edge said:
Saw a used DS Lite at a Geo video game store out in Fukui yesterday. First time I've seen one used; it was a navy system in mint condition; someone either needed money badly or it was stolen. :) It was priced about 600 yen less than a new system, but my friend bought it anyway (it's for a friend of his back in the States that wants one badly).

They did let us try it out first; no dead pixels, and there were even Hori screen protectors, which looked really clear and seemed to reduce glare a bit. Might have to pick some up for myself now.

The "shortage" is definitely getting shorter now. My friend went to Toys R Us earlier that morning; the store got 40 crystal whites, 20+ ice blues, and 30+ navys, and this is out in a city even smaller than the one I live in.

If this is true, then these online import stores better get on the ball this week. Otherwise I will reconsider ever doing something like this again. Gaming is getting silly with this demand to "PREORDERNOWOMGWTF"!>!>"

Lyte Edge

RaidenZR said:
If this is true, then these online import stores better get on the ball this week. Otherwise I will reconsider ever doing something like this again. Gaming is getting silly with this demand to "PREORDERNOWOMGWTF"!>!>"

There's nothing silly about it. Gaming is popular. Stores don't get in unlimited stock. If you want something, pre-order it; I don't see what the big deal is since you can always cancel it.

This is going to happen again this year when the PS3 comes out.

cvxfreak

After the 360, I have little faith in system pre-orders. Fairly sure the DS Lite is also a fair example of the failures of pre-orders.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
cvxfreak said:
After the 360, I have little faith in system pre-orders. Fairly sure the DS Lite is also a fair example of the failures of pre-orders.

This proves to me that if you are willing to pay a little more and you have sources, you can get anything you want whenever.

Lyte Edge

The DS Lite has always been available to importers; it's getting one at a fair price that's been difficult.

cvxfreak said:

Are you referring to pre-orders in general, or pre-orders at import stores who aren't sure how much stock they are going to be able to carry and whether or not they can offer the product at the right price? It doesn't seem like most stores in Japan even offered pre-orders for DS Lites, hence the long lines.

I pre-ordered two DS Lites at two different stores; guess that's the advantage of not being in a big city. Got one about a month after I reserved it; got the other only one week after.

But reserving systems is definitely a completely different animal than reserving games.

cvxfreak

Lyte Edge said:
The DS Lite has always been available to importers; it's getting one at a fair price that's been difficult.

Are you referring to pre-orders in general, or pre-orders at import stores who aren't sure how much stock they are going to be able to carry and whether or not they can offer the product at the right price? It doesn't seem like most stores in Japan even offered pre-orders for DS Lites, hence the long lines.

I pre-ordered two DS Lites at two different stores; guess that's the advantage of not being in a big city. Got one about a month after I reserved it; got the other only one week after.

But reserving systems is definitely a completely different animal than reserving games.

For the 360, many in the U.S. didn't get a system for weeks despite being early to pre-order. For the Lite, yeah, I was talking about import stores before the official release. I knew something was fishy when Play-Asia/Lik-Sang/NCSX were doing pre-orders but actual stores in Japan weren't. ;)

kiryogi

Banned
Lyteedge is correct. I got mine 2-3 weeks early from yesasia at a premium. In any case, I guess I'll finally check in with pics of my own DSLite.. with Xenosaga in it :O

dslite.JPG

maynerd

Banned
kiryogi said:
Lyteedge is correct. I got mine 2-3 weeks ago early from yesasia at a premium. In any case, I guess I'll finally check in with pics of my own DSLite.. with Xenosaga in it :O

dslite.JPG

ARRRGGGGHHH!

I hate you UPS!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Having played DS Lites with my gf whole weekend, I must say that this is the best portable gaming device I've ever owned. It looks beautiful on the table, it has a collection of fantastic, quick to pick-up-and-play games, it's lightweight, the screens are fantastic.

Then again, it's no wonder I'm loving this. Looking back at some of my old posts, Nintendo catered exactly to my wishes - they pretty much nailed this thing!

Chittagong
(11-17-2005, 04:22 PM)

Chittagong said:
I'm betting at

Announce: Early February 06
Ship: March 06 - April 06

should fit Nintendo's handheld hw development pipeline.

DS SP will be the ultimate jackpot for Nintendo if done right, and I mean GBA SP right. Get the design, size and screen quality right and it's hands down my favorite portable.

And I'm betting that it'll be tied with launch of either Metroid Prime Hunters or New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo knows this shit.

Chittagong
(07-05-2005, 02:01 AM)

I've been waiting for a DS SP as well. My key needs are:

- Better screen quality. The current components are beyond shitty in contrast, brightness and sharpness.
- Smaller size. I mean, the thing is a huge brick. The two screens do limit the minimum size * a lot * actually.
- Cooler design from better materials. DS must be one of the most horrible looking systems in ages.

I've been waiting for a DS SP to be announced, but this week I finally gave up and started to furiously play all my DS games I've been sitting on - Meteos, Kirby, Yoshi, Electroplankton, Another Code. A fantastic amount of really, really good and fresh games. Not to mention the upcoming stuff!

Man, I must say that DS rocks so much more than PSP. I have everything that's worth to play on PSP, but there is nothing that gets me excited to pick up the device. With the DS it's quite the contrary - I really need to decide which of the (incredibly fun) games I'd want to play next.

In other words, I'm rather seen in public with PSP than DS, but I really prefer DS gameplay to PSP. I guess I can't have it all!

Xrenity

Lik-sang changed DS Lite's status to:
Nintendo DS Lite (Crystal White) 110V (For Nintendo DS™ / Japanese)
** Back-order, wordt verzonden als het binnen is (15 Apr 2006) **
Which basically means they will get new stock at April 15th, for the old price? :O

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Seen on GCC:

Shipment online tracking
How to track?
Just input the given tracking number and you will notice where your shipment goes.
-FedEx (Online tracking efficient)
-UPS (Online tracking efficient)
-Airmail (Online tracking not available)
-EMS speedpost (Online tracking not efficient)

yjs666

DHL had my Lite in a courier van today according to the online tracking but it wasn't delivered. It better be tomorow, or DHL will be getting some angry phone calls!!!

Cheebs

Saz my DS from GCC used EMS and it has rather poor trakcing. It won't tell you where it is beyond what country it is in. So when it hits USA you really have no way of knowing how close it is to you untill it pops on your doorstep. Mine via EMS says:
Date # Location Delivery Status
6-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
6-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
7-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Departed.
8-Apr-2006 United States of America Arrived and is being processed.
8-Apr-2006 United States of America Handed over to the Customs Office for clearance.
8-Apr-2006 United States of America In transit.

saz

Banned
Mine says,

Date # Location Delivery Status
10-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
10-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
10-Apr-2006 Hong Kong Departed.

Happy happy! :)

maynerd

Banned
You want to know about poor tracking.

Location Date Local Time Activity
04/06/2006 8:48 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
04/06/2006 8:34 A.M. THE PACKAGE WAS LEFT IN A UPS FACILITY CAUSING THIS DELAY
04/05/2006 11:51 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
04/05/2006 7:27 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Shipping from CA to WA and since 04/06 I have no idea where my package is and unfortunately neither do they.

I hate you UPS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Life is just about to get even sweeter. I got the last beautiful SmartCase Lites from P-A to ship - one white and one black.

I'm really waiting for the summer so I can do my workdays at beach and play some DSL every once in a while. Last summer I spent some weeks at the beach writing marketing briefs on my laptop and playing Another Code. I was close enough to the office to bike there if someone called me to drop by their desk - "yeah, be there in a few min".

Best of luck to all the ones still waiting. My wait has turned now to NSMB, Big Brain Academy and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

gprime

Chittagong said:
Life is just about to get even sweeter. I got the last beautiful SmartCase Lites from P-A to ship - one white and one black.

I'm really waiting for the summer so I can do my workdays at beach and play some DSL every once in a while. Last summer I spent some weeks at the beach writing marketing briefs on my laptop and playing Another Code. I was close enough to the office to bike there if someone called me to drop by their desk - "yeah, be there in a few min".

Best of luck to all the ones still waiting. My wait has turned now to NSMB, Big Brain Academy and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Your laptop must have a killer screen if you can read it on a beach.

ascully

My DS Lite just arrived from GCC, took about 4 days via EMS to the USA. I had to take some piccys to add the the thousands of others in this thread :)

saz

Banned
Cheebs said:
My lite came in this morning. :)

I hope mine comes in before the weekend...

Oh and cheebs and ascully: did you get charged any extra import/customs duty or anything by the mailman?

Top Bottom