• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Kai

GameChoiceClub rocks... I got mine on monday and lovin it.....

Great reccomendation especially after I waited for 2 months from Lik-Sang and got no service what so ever from them.

We're conducting a study in another thread...

Can one of ya'll bust open your DS Lite and count how many Pikmin Nintendo jammed in there to get it to work.

Thanks. You can either post the answer here or just Pm me.

Youre doin the GAF a great service. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, these little buggers are fast, so it may be hard to count. Dont let them get to far before you include them in your head count. Be ready!

Edit Edit: Whats with the ghey smilies? :ick

RaidenZR

Rushmore said:
I wonder if any thread in the history of GAF has had this many screenshots of the system hardware before. It's almost like parents showing off their newborn babies. Specifically, parents who can't sire their own offspring and adopt from Japan. :lol

And it was never stickied...

What is the deal with that? Lesser topics have been.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When are we getting Pikmin DS? Isometric view like the new Zelda. Cel-shaded even.

That'd fucking rock.

medrew

Liksang cancelled my order and credited my money as store credit. GCC here I come :)

I should probably never have raised the issue of allowing store credit with liksang ... oh well, they're still great for ordering games from.

ant1532

Banned
medrew said:
Liksang cancelled my order and credited my money as store credit. GCC here I come :)

I should probably never have raised the issue of allowing store credit with liksang ... oh well, they're still great for ordering games from.
yea i did that around March 10th. Still like em though, just not much with consoles now.

yjs666

Early Lik-Sang preorders' statuses have changed to 'order processing' and credit cards were charged. Here's hoping that my order (white Lite) will ship soon!

RaidenZR

This is what play-asia sent me today:

"thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

I am very sorry to tell you that the shipping date is still not confirmed.
If there are any news, we will contact you. We apologize for the
inconvenience caused.

In case of any further question please do not hesitate to contact us
again."

Just thought I'd share that bullshit.

yjs666 said:
Early Lik-Sang preorders' statuses have changed to 'order processing' and credit cards were charged. Here's hoping that my order (white Lite) will ship soon!

mine shipped a few days ago... pissed i went cheapo on shipping. fuck lik-sang btw

Sho Nuff

Banned
Today is Thursday, big release day, and Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku got in...drum roll...a couple Silver DS non-Lites! WOW! They sold out like almost instantaneously!

So um, can I assume there was no shipment this week or what?

RaidenZR said:
This is what play-asia sent me today:

"thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

I am very sorry to tell you that the shipping date is still not confirmed.
If there are any news, we will contact you. We apologize for the
inconvenience caused.

In case of any further question please do not hesitate to contact us
again."

Just thought I'd share that bullshit.

Yep yep, that's what we're experiencing over here in Japan too. Amazon won't even let you order them :lol

medrew

PezRadar said:
What the hell? Lik-Sang refused to give money back and only gave you store credit?

That is retarded I personally think.

Nah, in my email to them I asked if it was possible to either get it refunded through paypal or to have it as store credit (I just wanted to cancel the damn thing as quick as possible). So given the choice it's pretty obvious which one you would choose if you were in their position :lol
I don't mind though. Just put in another order with them for things that I wanted but GCC doesn't have. There's about $150 still in there but that'll be gone once Mario and the like come out. It'll be my gaming budget for the next few months.
BTW, I live in New Zealand and have all but imported 2 DS games (out of about 11 or 12) so it's no big deal to me.

Chrono

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
When are we getting Pikmin DS? Isometric view like the new Zelda. Cel-shaded even.

That'd fucking rock.

low resolution + ugly textures = no sale!

now, pikmin 3 a launch title for gameboy next!? hardware as powerful as gcn, out in fall 2007. believe. :D

todog

I have had mine (DSL crystal white) since the beginning of last week and it's a mighty fine piece of hardware. I bought it off ebay at about $220 including shipping by EMS and the shipping was lightning fast, took only 2 days from Tokyo/Japan to Austria/Europe.

The new, non-clicky d-pad, although of high quality, took some time to get used to at first, but after about a week's time, I am now perfectly adjusted to it. As for the screens and their clarity and brightness, pictures posted in this thread cannot even do them justice.

<off topic>
wohoo I can finally post at neoGAF after lurking for about 2.5 years as well as waiting for account activation for about another year.
</off topic>

eLGee

Got my confirmation mail from PA earlier today, should arrive by Monday, at the latest. I ordered it yesterday. :)

Oh, it's the dark blue kind.

Keio

For a Finer World
eLGee said:
Got my confirmation mail from PA earlier today, should arrive by Monday, at the latest. I ordered it yesterday. :)

Oh, it's the dark blue kind.
*envy*

Today I got the standard "we can't predict shipping dates" email response from PA regarding my order of a Crystal White. It's stuck in "preparing" phase, so no chance to switch to other colours anymore...

So I think it's safe to say that they still have some problems manufacturing the whites, as the blues seem readily available? Or is the demand for the whites so astronomical?

Chrono said:
low resolution + ugly textures = no sale!

now, pikmin 3 a launch title for gameboy next!? hardware as powerful as gcn, out in fall 2007. believe. :D

I'd much rather see pikmin take advantage of the touch screen and microphone than have it focus on better graphics.

RaidenZR

Keio said:
*envy*

Today I got the standard "we can't predict shipping dates" email response from PA regarding my order of a Crystal White. It's stuck in "preparing" phase, so no chance to switch to other colours anymore...

So I think it's safe to say that they still have some problems manufacturing the whites, as the blues seem readily available? Or is the demand for the whites so astronomical?

I'm in the same boat. I almost want an Ice Blue one just to support the underdog... plus I don't think it looks all the bad to begin with. But alas, already ordered a white case so there goes that. I'm a sucker for coordinating colors.

.hacked

long trip from a Toys R Us in Japan to my front door but they made it :D

dsl0010vy.jpg

dsl0049rj.jpg

:) :D :) :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I must have played 400 games of Metroid since getting the DS lite.

It's fun to play when everything is so beautiful!

So Im back..

The store made me pull it out there so they could gawk at it! :p

When I pulled it out two words came from my mouth "Holy Shit!" Its just that fkin small.. I expected it to be ALOT bigger then this even though I knew it was smaller then the original.. Its comfortable to hold the d-pad rocks. The screens look like someone took magazine pics and pasted them on my screen

Simply amazing!

such bad planning by nintendo. ds didn't need the popularity boost in japan.. america would have benefited much more from the DS lite release and should have been their first market.

cvxfreak

metropolis said:
such bad planning by nintendo. ds didn't need the popularity boost in japan.. america would have benefited much more from the DS lite release and should have been their first market.

Cue Eff Tee.

1 thing the DS Lite does that makes something look bad..

The CG movies or w/e that are before Metroid Prime, or the Anime cut scene before Castlevania DS. Its nice and pixelated cause its so bright it shows you the flaws :lol

I stuck my play-yan in.. its gorgeous watching naruto episodes, but then i can see the pixelated flaws there as well.. Gonna have to up the quality ;)

Im loving my ds lite every bit of it.. I was also worried about gba games sticking out but the damn thing is so small who the fk cares!?

FF4 is godly on this thing..!

cvxfreak said:
Has anyone actually gone to compare the GBASP+ to the DSL or did I miss it?

I wanna see a comparison shot.

I remember somoene doing it a while ago and the DS Lite was much brighter. Cant remmeber though where i saw it.

gimz

should i ask my friend to get me one from HK or wait for the US version release? my friend is coming to Canada on May 2nd

Chrono

Banned
Easytoremember said:
I'd much rather see pikmin take advantage of the touch screen and microphone than have it focus on better graphics.

uh, the next gameboy will definitely have a touch screen.

metropolis said:

Although you are right I would say it's right to wait with the release till they have the software for it. NSMB + DSLite is the combination they need in the USA.

Senretsu

I've been keeping an eye on those DS Lite Starter kit things (there are a few from Pelican and Madcatz that just showed up too). The previous ones were slated for a may release date. Now they're all showing the same date regardless of the company, and that day is 6/1/06. I know it doesn't prove anything, but I thought it was curious.

Top Bottom