• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nathkenn said:
not everyone votes, there are nearly 300 million people in the us

And those who voted represent the US. If people didn't want him as President, he wouldn't be. He won, by majority.

diablos said:
Explain. If you are talking about the youth vote being the same, I agree. Kerry could have won if there were more young people at the polls. It was 54% democratic.

The youth voter turnout is one thing, but Democrats continue to try and divide the nation. Republicans win because they appeal to the religious and moral values of the Midwest and South without completely alienating the rest of the country. Democrats are usually much more conceited in their campaigns and act like, "Hey, west coast and northeast, we rule and the rest of the country can suck it!"

That strategy is flawed and the last Democrat to win was Clinton because he didn't completely alienate the South. Republicans campaigns are centered, but far reaching, as evident by a lot of northeast states being so close.

For all the bitching that it's just the South, a lot of those states in the North were equally divided. New Hampshire ain't Georgia, people.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Seth C said:
Then they chose not to vote, or they're too young to. Really, where are you going with this? Are you old enough to vote yourself? Just curious.

even with high voter turn out it only ends up being around and generally less than 50%
i previously didnt vote because of disgust with the system, i had hoped this would this election would bring about some change, but fuck that i guess, i know i'm not alone among people who didnt vote because of just being tired of the worthless process

if i dont make any sense chalk it up to not sleeping all night whilst trying to repair my car and having to put up with this election, i'm just running on hatred and black coffee at this point

AssMan said:
All you dumb phucks who voted for Bush and are going to college hoping to make it out in the real world, well you can kiss that dream good bye. I'm so ashamed of being an american right now. How can people be this ignorant for voting for Bush? Business won't want to spend money on training people, because major businesses already losing money, and getting rid of people beause of the economy. My mother went to college and got one of the top five best degrees to have in the few years, and it's STILL going to waste because of how shitty Florida's economy is. All that hard work, taking care of two kids on her own.....for NOTHING. Thank you Bush. You truly are a fucking idiot.

Some of you could really do with cooling down a bit. I mean, why the hell should you have democracy if you can't handle the fact that your candidate of choice isn't guaranteed victory. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ghost said:
That NBC stats page is unbelievable, 22% of america believes the most important issue in america (ahead of health care, terrorism, education etc etc) is 'Moral Issues'....and 79% of them voted for someone whose moto might as well be "an eye for an eye, and ill take your leg too, and the other one, and your oil"

WTF.

Exactly... I don't get this I really want to understand it though.

Four key issues.
Moral
Economy
Terrorism
Iraq

Bush did horribly on Economy and Iraq, but did great on Terrorism and Moral.

WTF?!?!?! Terrorism and Moral? WTF has he done? and WTF does Moral mean? Misleading the country isn't considered a moral issue? and Terrorism? I swear if I hear one more person use the excuse "well we haven't been attacked again" I'm gonna f'n scream.

ge-man

Diablos said:
McCain is the best one, yeah.

I'd vote for him, but he wouldn't get the nomination. True conservatives are being pushed out by neo-conservatisim. If anything, guys like McCain will be purged instead of propped up as potentional canidates.

Seth C

AssMan said:
All you dumb phucks who voted for Bush and are going to college hoping to make it out in the real world, well you can kiss that dream good bye. I'm so ashamed of being an american right now. How can people be this ignorant for voting for Bush? Business won't want to spend money on training people, because major businesses already losing money, and getting rid of people beause of the economy. My mother went to college and got one of the top five best degrees to have in the few years, and it's STILL going to waste because of how shitty Florida's economy is. All that hard work, taking care of two kids on her own.....for NOTHING. Thank you Bush. You truly are a fucking idiot.

People just going to college now have nothing to worry about? By the time they graduate the devil named Bush will be gone and they'll have a chance to vote in savior Democrat.

Please, the only "dumb phucks" are those that believe one man really has THAT much to do with their lives. He doesn't. Decisions are made by many, many men and women, and despite the fact that the President is the figurehead of our government and the single most powerful person in the country, he does NOT have the power to single handedly destroy your life or mine. Bush or Kerry, four years from now we'll both be okay.

Diablos

This election basically confirms that gun lovers and evangelical christians dominate the popular vote in this country, and most likely will for years to come. It also confirms that nothing can seem to motivate young voters in this country. A terrorist attack, an administration called out for many failures, a war considered by many to be a mistake, yet only 17% of the youth voted. It was 54% democratic, but that isn't important because the overall turnout was so low. The next democratic candidate is going to have to walk on water if he wants to win. I fear for my country's society. The amount of people supporting Bush over Kerry, being the highest in history, is beyond alarming.

I hate to turn back the wheel of time, but this is all 2000's fault. GORE HAD THE POPULAR VOTE. He should have WON. Bush cheated his way into the White House for eight years. Clinton almost gets impeached for getting a blowjob from someone other than his wife; Bush cheats into the presidency and lies about a war, but somehow, that's okay. I really want to move out of this country. I cannot talk to republicans today.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
but Democrats continue to try and divide the nation

You have it the other way around. Check out the backgrounds of the new senators. Hardcore rightwing baby!! Single mom? sorry you cant teach at a public school. Gay? sorry you cant teach either..abortion? FU...use a coat hanger. Im not making this up. These are the actual thoughts about one of our newly elected senators. How dare we mock the taliban/muslim fundementalists when we are just as bad if not worse cause we have the power to a shit load more damage.

ge-man

Meatpuppet said:
Some of you could really do with cooling down a bit. I mean, why the hell should you have democracy if you can't handle the fact that your candidate of choice isn't guaranteed victory. Seriously, grow the fuck up.

Yeah, some of us need to calm down. At the same time, I think there are valid reasons to complain. Bush has completely failed on his record. He is getting by on ideology, and this is a dangerous thing IMO. That is the epitome of blind faith.

CNN-Election-Winner.jpg

Willco

Hollywood Square
Yeah, people need to cool down. Actually, keep being so angry. It's funny.

We really aren't that much more worse off than we were yesterday morning. I've said all along that this was a race between a President that makes bad decisions and a canidate that makes no decisions. And sometimes the latter can be worse than the former.

Kerry is a weak canidate and his platform was so weak that it was practically held up by scotch tape and bubble gum. The Democrats picked a canidate they felt was safe by the primaries, but they failed to see how he'd polarize the nation.

I made a vote for Kerry because I felt Bush has done a lackluster job (at best) and his stance with the whole Iraq war is simply confusing. At the same time, I didn't feel an overwhelming need to back Kerry or anything, so I'm not that disappointed this morning.

Seth C

Doc Holliday said:
I wonder who the republicans are going to blame now when the shit hits the fan?! No clinton, republican congress and who knows how many bush appointed judges in the sup. court.

And I could ask what the Democrats will say when the shit does not hit the fan? Worse, what if things go fairly well over the next four years? With the Republicans controlling everything, there is every possiblity that they will find no reason to lean heavily to one-side (to differentiate themselves) and they may end up leading in a largely middle of the round manner because of that. That would be a great thing for the country, and I hope it is what we see.

jiggle

Doc Holliday said:
You have it the other way around. Check out the backgrounds of the new senators. Hardcore rightwing baby!! Single mom? sorry you cant teach at a public school. Gay? sorry you cant teach either..abortion? FU...use a coat hanger. Im not making this up. These are the actual thoughts about one of our newly elected senators. How dare we mock the taliban/muslim fundementalists when we are just as bad if not worse cause we have the power to a shit load more damage.

Dont' worry, even if these things somehow passes in their states, there's still the Supreme Court to the rescue. Oh wait...

DarienA

Doc Holliday said:

And just in case someone doesn't believe this:

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2394024

Diablos

Yeah well, good for you Willco. I agree that Kerry was not the ideal choice, as I've said I knew this from the time he won the primary. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but at the same time, what do we have to lose with Kerry as president? Nothing. Things cannot get much worse than they already are. So Kerry would have either done something to help, or done absolutely nothing and things would stay the same. It would have been WORTH A TRY, America.

I've talked to people that go to church (Catholic), and they said the big thing they were told was to not vote for Kerry because of abortion, stem cell research, religion in school, etc. This is wrong. Religion should not have such a powerful influence over politics. People act like every baby ready to be born in an era where John Kerry is president would mean insta-partial abortion or something.

Iceman

Do The Mario said:
Will queer eye for the straight guy still be on T.V?

no. because our first agenda will be to throw out much of the bill of rights.

"I've talked to people that go to church (Catholic), and they said the big thing they were told was to not vote for Kerry because of abortion, stem cell research, religion in school, etc. This is wrong. Religion should not have such a powerful influence over politics. People act like every baby born during an era where John Kerry is president would mean insta-abortion or something."

1) american catholics vote democrat.

2) who are you to say by what basis people vote for their representatives?

AssMan

Banned
Please, the only "dumb phucks" are those that believe one man really has THAT much to do with their lives. He doesn't. Decisions are made by many, many men and women, and despite the fact that the President is the figurehead of our government and the single most powerful person in the country, he does NOT have the power to single handedly destroy your life or mine. Bush or Kerry, four years from now we'll both be okay.

Maybe we'll be okay, but that isn't what I'm pissed about. It gets harder and harder every day for me to wake up in the morning, because my mom works at at JCpennys where instead she could be working at the place she really wants too.

This election basically confirms that gun lovers and evangelical christians dominate the popular vote in this country, and most likely will for years to come

Diablos is right. Kiss another democrat being elected in office for awhile.

Seth C

AssMan said:
Maybe we'll be okay, but that isn't what I'm pissed about. It gets harder and harder every day for me to wake up in the morning, because my mom works at at JCpennys where instead she could be working at the place she really wants too.

Yeah, and one man couldn't have changed that. Sorry.

ge-man said:
Yeah, some of us need to calm down. At the same time, I think there are valid reasons to complain. Bush has completely failed on his record. He is getting by on ideology, and this is a dangerous thing IMO. That is the epitome of blind faith.

I'm not trying to say don't complain: I don't really believe in collective responsibility. However, to call people who vote contrary to your desires "dumb fucks" is to lose the plot.

Doc Holliday

Its hardly one man...

Bush
Rumsfeld
Wolfowitz
Pearle
Cheney
Rice

DarienA

CrimsonSkies said:
What a great day to be an American. The Republican party dominated the US Elections like the PS2 in the console wars this gen. Oh Snap!

The Republican party dominated through stirring up conservatives sexuality and religious fears. Congrats!

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Meatpuppet said:
I'm not trying to say don't complain: I don't really believe in collective responsibility. However, to call people who vote contrary to your desires "dumb fucks" is to lose the plot.

No. People who voted for Bush = dumb fucks. Simple as. Look at what he's done to the world. Fuck it, I'd say with the dismal turnout of young voters that you deserve him, but the rest of the world doesn't. And they're the ones who will be getting the raw end of the deal while you worry about petrol prices.

I'm fucking annoyed. Why didn't the democrats push somebody who had personality and ideas??!! Bush for another 4 years. Jesus...

Seth C

Doc Holliday said:
Its hardly one man...

Bush
Rumsfeld
Wolfowitz
Pearle
Cheney
Rice

So what happened to two heads are better than one? Look, I know you may not like these people, but the point is that the President doesn't have power to ruin your life, by himself, or even with his cabinet. He doesn't have the power, and he only has 4 years left. A very small amount of time in the grand scheme of things.

Spainkiller

Seth C said:
So what happened to two heads are better than one? Look, I know you may not like these people, but the point is that the President doesn't have power to ruin your life, by himself, or even with his cabinet. He doesn't have the power, and he only has 4 years left. A very small amount of time in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, tiny amount of time...

I mean, look at what's happened in the last 4 years... nothing!

Seth C

DarienA said:
The Republican party dominated through stirring up conservatives sexuality and religious fears. Congrats!

Hey, whatever works. It's a shame that all those Democrats (proven to be more intelligent and better educated, remember) didn't think of a similar way to get their voters out. :D

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest looking in from Australia I just can’t fathom how religion can play such a major role in politics?

I mean I went to a catholic private school but I am a biologist so I don’t much give thought to religion.

Can someone please explain to me why so many Americans are so religious?

Why would people with such strong religious convictions be content with a poor health system, poverty and thousands of dead curtsey of the war on terror?

DarienA

Seth C said:
Hey, whatever works. It's a shame that all those Democrats (proven to be more intelligent and better educated, remember) didn't think of a similar way to get their voters out. :D

Sorry I don't want to be in the boat that stirs up votes via fear... because *I* consider that a true Moral Issue.

It's a good thing Bush has done so much to fix real issues in America, like the rising poverty rate which includes a rapidly growing working poor group, he's also really done well with healthcare and... oh wait.

Seth C

JetSetHero said:
Yeah, tiny amount of time...

I mean, look at what's happened in the last 4 years... nothing!

In the grand scheme of things? Nothing. Yes, I'll say it again.

Look, just because YOU believe the world is in the shitter over the last four years, doesn't mean ALL of us do. My life goes on almost exactly the same as it did four years ago. We do not ALL agree with YOU. Now grow up and stop expecting us to. It doesn't mean we are "dumb fucks" no matter how many times you or people like you say we are. Please, just calm down.

Doc Holliday

Do the mario....

Shhhhhhh we call that logic in this country...we dont use that anymore here...its bush country. IF you ever you visit americuh bring your bible and a gun!

DarienA

Seth C said:

Look, just because YOU believe the world is in the shitter over the last four years, doesn't mean ALL of us do. My life goes on almost exactly the same as it did four years ago. We do not ALL agree with YOU. Now grow up and stop expecting us to. It doesn't mean we are "dumb fucks" no matter how many times you or people like you say we are. Please, just calm down.

I'm curious, rich folks say pretty much what you said above so let me ask you. Are you personally concerned with only how well off you are doing? or the country as a whole? If you are doing great but the country isn't, that's ok with you? Rising Poverty, Rising Healthcare costs... that's all ok with you because it doesn't affect you personally? I'm not trying to flame, I really want your take on this.

Spainkiller

Seth C said:

Well if your life goes on the same as it did four years ago, then that's okay then :)

You're just proving that the 'us and them' attitude that rules the ...dumb fuck states that went red is as strong as ever...

The blurring of specific moral and religious ideology with what is supposed to be secular law is one the truly worrying parts about this administration. Giving it far more weight with a Republican-controlled Congress makes this a frightening reality. It's like a federally-funded domestic holy war on anyone who doesn't agree. Or maybe I'm just playing agnostic conspiracy theorist...or maybe I don't make sense anyway...ack...time to go to sleep.

Seth C

DarienA said:
Sorry I don't want to be in the boat that stirs up votes via fear... because *I* consider that a true Moral Issue.

Winning elections has always and will continue to be about spreading propaganda. Let's not pretend either party is innocent. Don't whine because the other team played the game better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom