• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't really make any sense. Why would different exercises be necessary for muscle growth? Intelligent manipulation of sets, reps, intensity, and rest is much more likely to make a difference.

So you quote everything I've said yet you missed this important nugget I mentioned:

I can see changing the number of sets, reps, how fast or slow it takes to complete a rep, compound setting, and all that other fun stuff could benefit from working out the same muscle twice a week. Just don't do the same workout, reps, and sets or else your muscle will adapt to the excercise and not grow.

Anyway, I can post articles that says otherwise of the article you posted, but debating back and forth is useless. As some have said, everyone is different.

Trident said:
This question is almost too stupid to ask, but am I right assuming dumbbell squats are not as effective as barbell squats? I started doing dumbbell squats the other day and my knee has actually gotten better somehow, but I still have beginner fear of actually putting a barbell on my back.
Yes, you are right. When people say "squats" they mean barbell squats.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Captain Glanton said:
Yes, you are right. When people say "squats" they mean barbell squats.

All right, thanks dude. Time to man up, I guess.

PS. This thread (and the last few before it) have helped me to gain 10 lbs and go down two belt sizes in ~6 months. So thanks to everyone who contributed to it.

Chichikov

Trident said:
This question is almost too stupid to ask, but am I right assuming dumbbell squats are not as effective as barbell squats? I started doing dumbbell squats the other day and my knee has actually gotten better somehow, but I still have beginner fear of actually putting a barbell on my back.
No, it's not as effective as a barbell squat, and it also doesn't scale - you really cannot do a dumbbell squat with very heavy weight.
By the way, as far as muscle groups being worked, it somewhere between a squat and a deadlift.

And getting over the fear of putting weight on you is very important, but trust, it never quite go away.

(rambling warning)
I've always looked at weight training as a mental exercise as well -
The squat is about conquering fear - getting under very heavy load and then be brave (and stupid) enough to bend your knees.
The deadlift is about determination and faith - gripping what feels like an unmovable object and make it your bitch.
(we resume our usual programming)

also, what problem do you have with your knees?
I always consider safety as a number one priority, but as far as knees stress goes, dumbbell squats and barbell squats are fairly similar.
It could very possibly be your stance, it's very common to have your legs closer together on the dumbbell squats, if this is the source of your knee problem (which probably mean minor lateral trauma) you may want to try to do a barbell squat with the same stance and see what happens (mind you that a close stance require a pretty flexible hamstring, so make sure you're able to keep good form at the bottom, don't save you knees only to fuck your back).

p.s.
this is not a stupid question.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
I think I have runner's knee from years of... running. I also did a lot of squats on a hack squat machine last October/November, which seemed to fuck it up a lot more (Fuck it up being defined as weird, but not painful, feeling in my knee almost all day, and whole lot of popping sounds when i bend it too far). Someone posted a while ago about how machine squats force an unnatural path of motion, causing more knee stress than usual, so I figure that's probably it.

Trident said:
All right, thanks dude. Time to man up, I guess.

PS. This thread (and the last few before it) have helped me to gain 10 lbs and go down two belt sizes in ~6 months. So thanks to everyone who contributed to it.
You are welcome.

Chichikov

Trident said:
I think I have runner's knee from years of... running. I also did a lot of squats on a hack squat machine last October/November, which seemed to fuck it up a lot more (Fuck it up being defined as weird, but not painful, feeling in my knee almost all day, and whole lot of popping sounds when i bend it too far). Someone posted a while ago about how machine squats force an unnatural path of motion, causing more knee stress than usual, so I figure that's probably it.
If you worry about your knees, go see a doctor, don't mess around with your knees.
That being said, if there's no pain, you should be fine doing squats, running put much more pressure on your cartilage than squatting. IIRC it's about 6 times your body weight, and I'm pretty sure even captain-zomg-you-squat-how-much? here don't squat 6 times his body weight, let alone for that many repetitions.

But again, don't take health advices over the Internet, go see a sport doctor if you can.

GHG

Chichikov said:
No, it's not as effective as a barbell squat, and it also doesn't scale - you really cannot do a dumbbell squat with very heavy weight.
By the way, as far as muscle groups being worked, it somewhere between a squat and a deadlift.

And getting over the fear of putting weight on you is very important, but trust, it never quite go away.

(rambling warning)
I've always looked at weight training as a mental exercise as well -
The squat is about conquering fear - getting under very heavy load and then be brave (and stupid) enough to bend your knees.
The deadlift is about determination and faith - gripping what feels like an unmovable object and make it your bitch.
(we resume our usual programming)

also, what problem do you have with your knees?
I always consider safety as a number one priority, but as far as knees stress goes, dumbbell squats and barbell squats are fairly similar.
It could very possibly be your stance, it's very common to have your legs closer together on the dumbbell squats, if this is the source of your knee problem (which probably mean minor lateral trauma) you may want to try to do a barbell squat with the same stance and see what happens (mind you that a close stance require a pretty flexible hamstring, so make sure you're able to keep good form at the bottom, don't save you knees only to fuck your back).

p.s.
this is not a stupid question.

Thats why I've never put them in my routines properly. I shit myself at the thought of bending my knees when I have that weight on my back. Guess I just have to be a man and get over it though. I'll start with lower weights to get a feel of what my body is capable of and then work my way up till I'm actually pushing myself. Its not like a normal excersise where failure is just... well, failure. There are no repurcussions with a rep failure on something like a hammer curl, but with squats its a whole different ball game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
squats hurt me and i am a pussy and no way. like someone said earlier, extensive lower body workouts seem to muck with my running, and given the option between the two i'll take the cardio.

Chichikov

GHG said:
Thats why I've never put them in my routines properly. I shit myself at the thought of bending my knees when I have that weight on my back. Guess I just have to be a man and get over it though. I'll start with lower weights to get a feel of what my body is capable of and then work my way up till I'm actually pushing myself. Its not like a normal excersise where failure is just... well, failure. There are no repurcussions with a rep failure on something like a hammer curl, but with squats its a whole different ball game.
As said many times here, not only squat is probably the single most effective exercise you can have (slight hyperbole) but it's also one of the most rewarding, trust me on this one.

As for fear, I have two suggestion -
If you're working in a power cage (and you really should) try to practice dropping the bar on the safety pins. The right way to do it is to just drop forward, ending on all four, obviously practice it with an empty bar, but that should help you mentally - knowing what need to be done if the shit hit the fan (and really, as a beginner, you probably underestimate your strength by quite a wide margin, so it's not likely to happen any time soon).
The second thing a belt, now I'm not a huge fan of working with belts, and as a beginner you probably don't need one. I did however seen many people who got their courage up by starting to use a belt, not even sure why it is, but it's worth a try.

beelzebozo said:
squats hurt me and i am a pussy and no way. like someone said earlier, extensive lower body workouts seem to muck with my running, and given the option between the two i'll take the cardio.
I'm a runner first and foremost, and I also do squats.
They can definitely be worked into your routine, and they can be very helpful in the long run.
You do however need to be more judicial about your squat programming then your average gym goer.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I can see changing the number of sets, reps, how fast or slow it takes to complete a rep, compound setting, and all that other fun stuff could benefit from working out the same muscle twice a week. Just don't do the same workout, reps, and sets or else your muscle will adapt to the excercise and not grow.

No, THIS is what bothers me, because the majority of novices CAN do the same workout (with an increase only in weight) for months, and along with adequate nutrition and recovery, make incredible gains. Mark Rippetoe, Bill Starr (THE original strength training coach who pioneered 5x5 three days a week), Glenn Pendlay have kids gaining 40-50 pounds in 6 months on programs like this.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Mr. Snrub said:
No, THIS is what bothers me, because the majority of novices CAN do the same workout (with an increase only in weight) for months, and along with adequate nutrition and recovery, make incredible gains. Mark Rippetoe, Bill Starr (THE original strength training coach who pioneered 5x5 three days a week), Glenn Pendlay have kids gaining 40-50 pounds in 6 months on programs like this.
Is that three days a week of the same muscle/exercise?

GHG said:

Well, the way MOST people do squats in a gym, it would scare the shit out of me, too. Too many people start the movement by bending the knees, when the movement should be started my bending the hips. The knees just facilitate the movement. Of course, this also depends on what TYPE of squat you're doing. But seeing guys in their running shoes, going forward onto their toes, bending their knees, and wincing the entire time...jesus.

demon said:
Is that three days a week of the same muscle/exercise?

For the most part, yes. They have variations of the novice program, but its usually: Squat/Press (can be bench or overhead, or alternated)/Power Clean.

Assistance exercise MAY be thrown in depending on the trainer, but they aren't necessary.

GHG

Ace 8095 said:
Have you ever done any real strength training GHG? If not I suggest you buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. This will answer all your questions regarding the heavy compound lifts.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976805421/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but what do you mean by strength training?

I've only ever been training for hypertrophy during the last 3 years. I mainly do upper body workouts because my legs do enough work from the cardio I do with playing football (soccer), though I spend half a session a week doing leg work, mainly leg curls. During that time my strength has improved significantly (obviously) along with my physique. So do you mean that whereas now my results will be strength<size increase, with strength training it will result in strength>size increase?

Perfect Pushup.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I just started to do pushups, and for some reason it kind of hurts my wrists (I must be doing them wrong). They have these at Staples for $19.99 (they have a quaint little "as seen on TV" section) and I was thinking about picking them up.

http://www.perfectpushup.com/

Christopher

beelzebozo said:

oh my god.

At my gym they have a class called body pump and it's liek hardcore wti squats and shit - I bet if you took that class a couple of times squats wouldn't phase you anymore lol - I was never a big fan of them, but now I must work them in my routine.

Speaking of which I only started taking more gym classes recently - they're really fun, and actually make me wanna go to the gym sometimes - the bike class, pump (which is a lifting class) and I think I might take the yoga one...some hot ass girls in that class haha.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i used to do them quite a bit when i played football in high school. i know they're an awesome, useful lift, but they just make me completely miserable and ruin my running. i'm not up to going through the whole process of having the giant bruises across my back and developing that general "squat toughness." it's just not worth it, especially when it would potentially have negative effects on my running.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Perfect Pushup.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I just started to do pushups, and for some reason it kind of hurts my wrists (I must be doing them wrong). They have these at Staples for $19.99 (they have a quaint little "as seen on TV" section) and I was thinking about picking them up.

Kill it with fire.

You probably have something wrong with your wrist. Does it hurt when you do barbell presses and dips? Also, if you're not doing your dips, you should probably start.

GHG said:

I've only ever been training for hypertrophy during the last 3 years. I mainly do upper body workouts because my legs do enough work from the cardio I do with playing football (soccer), though I spend half a session a week doing leg work, mainly leg curls. During that time my strength has improved significantly (obviously) along with my physique. So do you mean that whereas now my results will be strength<size increase, with strength training it will result in strength>size increase?
Oh, boy. There's a long-running debate among different camps of strength, conditioning, fitness, boydbuilding folks about program design. Basically, yes, you can get big without getting proportionately strong, and vice versa. The sports and strength & conditioning folks will say that the bodybuilding folks aren't functionally strong, and the bodybuildig folks say that the s & c people just want an excuse to stay fat and unbalanced. These fights can go on and on.

But, the truth is that the strength & conditioning people, who do what we're calling strength training, still look good, and the bodybuilding folks are still plenty strong.

Chichikov

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Perfect Pushup.

Your wrists are most likely hurt due to lack of flexibility in this area, it will most likely correct itself soon enough.
If it doesn't or if you have a serious wrist injury you can do fisted pushups or even use those small push-up bars.

As for the perfect pushups, I've already wrote in this thread, the only thing you need for a perfect push-up is a floor, I'm sure you can find one.

demon

Pushups hurt my wrists too, yet they're fine when I'm doing presses or dips.

demon

Anyone want to go into a bit of detail on power cleans? I try them once in a while and I like them because I feel like I'm working my entire body in one motion, but I worry that I'm not doing it correctly, so I don't do them on a regular basis. Are you supposed to actually jump off the ground a little bit when lifting it to your chest? Also, what's in called when you do a power clean and then press it over your head?

Captain Glanton said:
Kill it with fire.

But it was invented by a Navy SEAL!

In all seriousness, I think I am going to pick them up. I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you say dips and barbell presses. If they help me do pushups, even if it's a placebo effect, it will be more pushups than I will do without them. I'll let you know. Maybe I'll open the box in the store and do a few pushups in the middle of Staples!

Ace 8095

demon said:
Anyone want to go into a bit of detail on power cleans? I try them once in a while and I like them because I feel like I'm working my entire body in one motion, but I worry that I'm not doing it correctly, so I don't do them on a regular basis. Are you supposed to actually jump off the ground a little bit when lifting it to your chest? Also, what's in called when you do a power clean and then press it over your head?
The power clean is an excellent exercise. If you're able to jump off the ground when you clean that's fine. Eventually the weight will be far to heavy for you to get off the ground. When you clean the bar all your power should come from the jump. Use the energy from the jump not your arms to pull the bar up. I suggest you purchase starting strength for a fully detailed explanation.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

In all seriousness, I think I am going to pick them up. I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you say dips and barbell presses. If they help me do pushups, even if it's a placebo effect, it will be more pushups than I will do without them. I'll let you know. Maybe I'll open the box in the store and do a few pushups in the middle of Staples!
Dips:

In the gym, there will be a station with two short parallel bars at roughly chest level, about two feet apart. You can hold yourself up between the bars, arms extended. Then you "dip" down until your upper arms are parallel to the floor, and then push yourself back up. It's the best triceps exercise there is, in my book.

Barbell Presses:

This is any exercise where you are pressing a weighted barbell: flat bench presses, incline bench presses, and overhead presses. It's a catch-all category.

Chichikov

demon said:
Anyone want to go into a bit of detail on power cleans? I try them once in a while and I like them because I feel like I'm working my entire body in one motion, but I worry that I'm not doing it correctly, so I don't do them on a regular basis. Are you supposed to actually jump off the ground a little bit when lifting it to your chest?
It's a great exercise but probably the most complicated of the basic big movements, so you want to train it on a regular basis so you get it right.
And yeah, you should actually jump, granted, when you get into heavier weights you wouldn't get much air, but you must always think about jumping.
The trick is to not try to lift the bar to your chest with your arms, you should get to bar to your thighs in similar fashion to the deadlift and then explode with a jump in a single motion.
demon said:
Also, what's in called when you do a power clean and then press it over your head?
Clean and jerk, I would not recommend it for most people.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

If you absolutely set on buying something to help with your push-ups, you might as well get these:
10sabh0.jpg

Cheaper and they will be more effective.

Ace 8095

Captain Glanton said:
Oh, boy. There's a long-running debate among different camps of strength, conditioning, fitness, boydbuilding folks about program design. Basically, yes, you can get big without getting proportionately strong, and vice versa. The sports and strength & conditioning folks will say that the bodybuilding folks aren't functionally strong, and the bodybuildig folks say that the s & c people just want an excuse to stay fat and unbalanced. These fights can go on and on.

But, the truth is that the strength & conditioning people, who do what we're calling strength training, still look good, and the bodybuilding folks are still plenty strong.

I just wanted to add that if your just starting weight training strength training is the best way to go. You will get bigger faster doing squats, power cleans, and dead lifts then you will doing leg curls, barbell curls, and many other crappy machine exercises.

Captain Glanton said:
Dips:

In the gym, there will be a station with two short parallel bars at roughly chest level, about two feet apart. You can hold yourself up between the bars, arms extended. Then you "dip" down until your upper arms are parallel to the floor, and then push yourself back up. It's the best triceps exercise there is, in my book.

Barbell Presses:

This is any exercise where you are pressing a weighted barbell: flat bench presses, incline bench presses, and overhead presses. It's a catch-all category.

The more you know! Thanks for the info! Now if I ever go to a gym I'll know what's up!

Chichikov said:
If you absolutely set on buying something to help with your push-ups, you might as well get these:

Cheaper and they will be more effective.

I like cheaper! Cool I'll check it out!

GHG said:

But you see...why would you train half of your body one way, and the other half another way?

You CAN get stronger without being sore after every workout.

Like I said, increasing your strength WILL increase your endurance. Increasing your strength increases your body's resistance to that level of fatigue/that many repetitions. However, endurance-type training (25+ reps) does NOT increase your limit strength.

Squats won't ruin your cardio, if you put them into your workout the right way.

As for power cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYoSu5Ma0cU
That's one of Mike Burgener's kids, and he's a great weightlifting coach. That's how they should look.

For those whose wrists hurt when doing pushups, it sounds like a flexibility problem, and I don't recommend getting the perfect pushup as a way around this. Stretch and strengthen your wrists!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Hey, why don't you just get some hexagonal/square dumbells and use that? Get two 30 pounders.

Here's a neat pushup I like to do (I forget the exact name): put the two hexagonal dumbells where your hands go when you do the pushup (so you're using them like the Perfect Pushup you saw on TV). Go down like a regular pushup. When you go up, go all the way to a bridge/plank position (arms fully extended). Now, take your left arm and lift the weight towards your pec and then extend your arm above your head (meanwhile your right arm is still fully extended). Put the weight back down on the ground and get back into the bridge/plank position. Go back down like a regular pushup and then go all the way back up again but this time lift the left arm. Rinse & repeat... pretty effective.

Here is the full bit on tone:

Practical Programming said:
The modern fitness industry's concept of "toning" muscles is specious--it might sound cool, but it lacks any tangible and definable meaning. The term "muscle tone" or tonus describes an electrophysiological phenomenon, a measure of ionic flow across muscle cell membranes. It can be thought of as the muscle's readiness to do anaerobic work. The more fit the muscle, the more electrophysiological activity it exhibits at rest. Lack of exercise leads to poor tone, aerobic exercise improves tone a little bit, low-intensity weight training improves tone more, and high-intensity training improves tone the fastest. As a test, go poke the traps or quads of an elite weightlifter at rest, if she'll let you. They'll be hard as rock. The same muscles of an elite road cyclist as rest will be firm, but not hard. Then compare the athletes' muscle tone to that of a sedentary person. The results will be quite enlightening. Most exercise programs that claim to improve muscle tone are actually lower-intensity hypertrophy programs and are only moderately effective for improving muscle tone. If "tone" is the goal, strength is the method.

So why haven't you bought it yet?

Chichikov

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
One thing though, despite what infomercials may have told you, you won't get "cut" or "ripped" by doing push-ups.
It's at best an assistance exercise, and like most bodyweight drills, it requires a lot of effort to get good results with.

Good back workout if you want to do it once a month is weighted pullups. If you can find a belt with a chain at your gym then do it. Different variations in hand positions too. I do wide grip, close grip, and reverse grip. For each position, I do:

4 sets:

10 reps: 45 pounds

8 reps: 65 pounds

6 reps: 85 pounds

4 reps: 100 pounds

I'll then finish off with lat pulldowns. You will DEFINATELY be sore the next day I can tell you that much. :lol

Use a park bench if you don't go to a gym. I use a bench from my gym. Doing them can wear you out. Just make sure that on your starting position, bend all the way down like you're doing squats. Then explode up and land on the bench. Fall back down and repeat.

Is there anything to help strengthen wrists and elbows to lift more. When I do the lifts over my head that you start behind your back and then lift them over your head to work your tricep my elbow kind of pops sort of and some times gives a quick tingly feeling if I lift too much. Is there a way to strengthen that and my wrists are pretty shot from falling wrong and do the hand grip things you squeeze help your wrists? I was told they do but they never really seemed to strengthen them.

Chichikov

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there anything to help strengthen wrists and elbows to lift more. When I do the lifts over my head that you start behind your back and then lift them over your head to work your tricep my elbow kind of pops sort of and some times gives a quick tingly feeling if I lift too much. Is there a way to strengthen that and my wrists are pretty shot from falling wrong and do the hand grip things you squeeze help your wrists? I was told they do but they never really seemed to strengthen them.
I'm not a huge fan of behind the neck shoulder press, it puts the shoulders in an awkward position and put a lot of stress on your joints, while achieving absolutely nothing over the regular shoulder press.

As for strengthening your wrists, general free weights program usually build enough strength there over time, and being that they are a pretty small muscle group doing a a specialized routine may not be the best use of your gym time.
That being said, if you feel they are slowing your progress, some wrist rolls will fix that for you pretty quickly.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Good back workout if you want to do it once a month is weighted pullups. If you can find a belt with a chain at your gym then do it. Different variations in hand positions too. I do wide grip, close grip, and reverse grip. For each position, I do:

4 sets:

10 reps: 45 pounds

8 reps: 65 pounds

6 reps: 85 pounds

4 reps: 100 pounds

I'll then finish off with lat pulldowns. You will DEFINATELY be sore the next day I can tell you that much. :lol
That's very impressive. What's your bodyweight?

Chichikov said:
pictures or it didn't happen.
;)
I thought about buying a digital camera this week but didn't. :(

Made a quick trip to Target just to look at their sporting goods, and returned with a 30lb adjustable dumbell set (thanks RSTEIN for the suggestion... it was less than the price of just the Perfect Pushup set by itself)! Tried them out for pushups, and my wrists don't hurt anymore. Can't do very many, but it's a start!

2n9i34n.jpg

Also purchased an ab wheel (couldn't help it... always wanted one, and it was just hanging there, right next to the dumbells!). Do these actually do anything?

8yazk5.jpg

I was also shocked at the extremely large selection of giant inflatable fitness balls.

Horray fitness balls!

Ab wheels are actually a lot more effective than their shitty commercials would have you think.

Edit: But don't buy a fitness ball or we'll get you banned from the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom