• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Mr.City said:
Actually, it was fifty pounds with 2 twenty five plates on each side. Should I still up it by 10?
You look at it the wrong way, your program dictate your reps, your strength dictate the weight.
So if you decided to go for sets of 10, add weight (slowly and carefully!) until you reach the right amount of effort.

Personally I think a beginner will benefit from an even a shorter set - 5 reps works great.
If you want to work on your form, add a walkaway set.

Mr.City said:
Actually, it was fifty pounds with 2 twenty five plates on each side. Should I still up it by 10?

When I started squatting, I upped it by 5lbs plates on each side. Even now, I'm relatively new to squatting and weight lifitng in general, and for some reason 5lbs plates just make me feel more comfortable. When I tried to add 10lbs plates, I found that I was sometimes not keeping my form very well.

Either adding 5lbs plates or 10lbs plates, you can't really go wrong, just make sure you're pushing yourself and not settling on an overly low weight.

Also, as said before, lower your reps. I'd say 3x8 is the max you'd want to do (it's what I do personally), but 5x5 and 3x5 are common too from my understanding.

Mr.City said:
It's typical to state the overall weight, not what's on each side. Also, you want to get in the habit of using the 45s as your 'base' plate. You put on a 45, then add other plates until the total hits 45, etc. You would always use 2 45s and a 5, never a 45 and 2 25s, for example.

So, you were doing 145. I'd try doing 165 next week, for sets of 8, and see how that goes. Do not be afraid to raise or lower that as necessary, though; from the internet we can only estimate what's best for you.

Tried my first hard-boiled egg today in 10 years. Hated them as a kid but my mom would always make me eat one from time to time because she said they were good for me. I never understood it then and just hated it. Could only choke them down with lots of ketchup, salt, and pepper.

I have no idea how my taste buds have changed so much, but I'm thankful. Ate one today as is in a couple bites, tastes great. Going to try and start adding these in to my diet now instead of just scrambled eggs. Yuuuum. Fucking can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.

YYZ

Anyone know what rest time I should use between sets in a 5x5 workout?

And about boiled eggs, I've liked them for as long as I can remember. I remember using salt and pepper on them, but I like almost everything plain now. I usually eat 3 at once and half a yolk out of the 3 yolks.

YYZ said:
Anyone know what rest time I should use between sets in a 5x5 workout?

As 5x5 is generally a strength AND size routine, and rest for strength is approx. 5 mins, and for size its 30-90 seconds...I do 2-5 minutes between my sets. Sometimes a little longer for the last sets because goddamn...its hard.

slidewinder said:
What's a "walkaway set"? Google failed me.

I -think- it's a set where you lift the weight, then take a few steps back, then start squatting, as compared to regular squatting which is lifting the bar in its place and squatting right there. It can only be done on certain racks/machines, though, if I'm understanding what a "walkaway" set is.

Going by that definition, every set I do is a walkaway. We don't have great equipment here and the only squat rack we have requires me to walk away.

I think this would be considered an example of a non-walkaway squat. Also, don't pay attention to this guys form, he's doing a ton of weight and really didn't go as low as the average squat should. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNlUTekYWA

Hopefully I have the right definition, if not I'm sorry!

On another note, today I noticed I'm down to my last $15 on my school meal plan, with 13 days of school left to go. That's the largest meal plan available, and even eating the rare meal off campus, and having water as my only beverage (besides some half pints of skim milk, but I consider that more of a food than a beverage at this point!). Gonna have to put more money on the meal card I guess now that I'm running out. Yay eating a lot in hopes of getting bigger!

Ah, Mike Miller's squat. It shouldn't have been green-lit, although he's still deeper than a lot of people I see. That contraption he's squatting in is designed specifically for powerlifting competitions. What you're going to find in every gym I've seen is the normal squat rack, where you unrack it, step back two steps, and then squat. I've never heard of a "walkaway" set before.

lil smoke

Banned
I'm back in the gym! It's amazing how much strength one can retain after taking so much time off. Size is loss, but power pretty much stays there. The 5X5 routine is still awesome as hell, and I rarely do 10X3 anymore except for certain things where 5 reps don't make sense.

Question: Full blast right into heavy stuff (I feel confident) or slowly work my way up? At the rate I'm going the pain is unbearable... maybe I should take it easier for a few weeks until my muscles acclimate?

Man, my shoulders ache like CRAZY.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
think i'll take the day off today. haven't taken a day off since i came back from the flu--looks like my first day back running was april 5--and i'm definitely feeling a little burnt out. going to take a day to lie around, watch food network, and play old nes games on my ds.

lil smoke said:
I'm back in the gym! It's amazing how much strength one can retain after taking so much time off. Size is loss, but power pretty much stays there. The 5X5 routine is still awesome as hell, and I rarely do 10X3 anymore except for certain things where 5 reps don't make sense.

Question: Full blast right into heavy stuff (I feel confident) or slowly work my way up? At the rate I'm going the pain is unbearable... maybe I should take it easier for a few weeks until my muscles acclimate?

HELL NO, don't go full blast. Do this: start off with 80% of what you would normally do in the gym. At this rate, increasing weight each workout or week (it will largely depend on the type of workout you're doing), you'll be able to hit your previous best four weeks from now, and then continue on for a few more weeks to improve.

DON'T GET GREEDY. If you get greedy, you will take on too much. Better to undertrain than overtrain!

lil smoke said:

What Snrub said. Also, good avatar.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
HELL NO, don't go full blast. Do this: start off with 80% of what you would normally do in the gym. At this rate, increasing weight each workout or week (it will largely depend on the type of workout you're doing), you'll be able to hit your previous best four weeks from now, and then continue on for a few more weeks to improve.

DON'T GET GREEDY. If you get greedy, you will take on too much. Better to undertrain than overtrain!
Actually I'm doing about 70% :lol which is pretty good for months off! But it may still be too much, being as though I'm not able to .... move.

Yeah, I'll lighten it up. Sucks. There is the whole "pride" aspect of lifting that can really get in the way of proper training. No question my form was off, trying to force myself back into shape immediately.

Exactly, pride is going to stop your gains. If you're going 70% and its KILLING you (not just hard), back off some more, and slowly build up.

Realize that not only are your muscles not used to lifting, but more importantly (from a health standpoint) is that your tendons, ligaments, and NERVOUS system aren't used to lifting weights. Give it a few weeks and you'll keep making gains.

Chichikov

slidewinder said:
What's a "walkaway set"? Google failed me.
Don't pin it on Google, it's probably my shaky command of the English language that failed you.
Anyway, what I was referring to is another set after the last work set, done with lower weight and high repetition, usually with minimal rest between it and the last work set.
It's main goal is to help you build explosive power, recovery and muscle stamina, but a high-rep low weight is also a great way to improve your form.

Chichikov said:
Don't pin it on Google, it's probably my shaky command of the English language that failed you.
Anyway, what I was referring to is another set after the last work set, done with lower weight and high repetition, usually with minimal rest between it and the last work set.
It's main goal is to help you build explosive power, recovery and muscle stamina, but a high-rep low weight is also a great way to improve your form.
We call it a "drop set," if you mean that there's no rest at all, except to strip the weight down.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
We call it a "drop set," if you mean that there's no rest at all,
We call it "burning out" around here LOL! I love it. It's great for that last 10 minutes of the workout. Makes you feel like a monster when you finish, plus you know your headed for the showers, so leave it all on the floor!

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Wow, the day after squats and deadlifts is not a fun day. Is the price of working out spending most of your time walking like a crippled old man? I need to get a motorized scooter.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Chichikov said:

Back in high school we called it burnout drills. I used to end every workout with one. We used to do em as a team too which really made you lay it on since you don't get those few seconds stripping the bar. Plus we typically started with medium to high weight.

I like em alot, but i'm told it aint all that special of a system so i don't do them anymore.

EDIT: i'm late much?

Slo

Trident said:
Wow, the day after squats and deadlifts is not a fun day. Is the price of working out spending most of your time walking like a crippled old man? I need to get a motorized scooter.

Make sure to take frequent walks to keep your hamstrings and lower back from tightening up.

Trident said:
Also, it will get much better over the weeks and months, as your body gets conditioned to the stress. And until then, remember this:

Um, there's a poster I have called "Squat Till You Puke." I was going to find a hotlink for it here. DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THIS PHRASE.

Struct09

lil smoke said:
We call it "burning out" around here LOL! I love it. It's great for that last 10 minutes of the workout. Makes you feel like a monster when you finish, plus you know your headed for the showers, so leave it all on the floor!

I love burnout sets :D

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
We call it a "drop set," if you mean that there's no rest at all, except to strip the weight down.
That what I meant.
So the other day I ask my friends at the gym if they ever heard anyone else refer to it as a walkaway set, and they replied: "no, but we didn't feel like correcting you cause honestly, we find your little crimes against our language to be cute".
Nice.
My friends treat me like Balki.
Well rub me with onions and call me stinky.

Vish

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Basically, if you're at 5 reps per set or under you're making the muscle stronger but not larger; 6 to 10 you're making it stronger and larger; and above that you're into a strange territory where the muscle might be getting larger but stronger or, at even higher reps [maybe 15 and up] you're working on muscular endurance rather than strength.

Is this real because it looks like I could have done it a different way the entire time.

If I am doing 5 reps per set, what weight (percents wise from 'max') am I looking to use?

I've been doing 15,12,10, 8(reps) for all of my areas but my arms and shoulders for a while now all with medium-high weight. What i've noticed over the longterm is everything you talked about.

At this point I just want to maintain size so if I can shorten my workout length I'd try doing 5 reps for a while.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Vish said:
Is this real because it looks like I could have done it a different way the entire time.

It's just two types of hypertrophy which results in different muscle types. You'll still put on muscle mass with low rep sets though at a slower pace than you would with a high rep range.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Wait, so 5x5 is for building strength and not mass? So something like 8x3 is better for building mass? For real? I thought 5x5 was used by most body builders.

Trident said:
Wait, so 5x5 is for building strength and not mass? So something like 8x3 is better for building mass? For real? I thought 5x5 was used by most body builders.
Most of the bodybuilders I've known stay above 5 reps for their sets, yes. I'm not saying that no bodybuilder has ever used 5X5, just like I'm not saying that doing 3-5 rep sets will not build any muscle mass at all. But if you're more concerned with hypertrophy [looking swole] and not building your strength, I would recommend more 8-10 rep sets and fewer 3-5 rep sets. If you want to get bigger and get stronger, 5X5 offers a great balance between the two.

T-Nation didn't do an Atomic Dog this week, so I went back into the Archives and found one. Shoddy logic, but a good read.

High Testosterone

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So hey, what's the deal with sushi? Is it bad for you in any way? It's got lots of white rice, and I'm pretty sure that's not great for keeping the fat off. I ask because all of a sudden I've had a crave for sushi and I don't know when it's going to go away.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Captain Glanton said:
Most of the bodybuilders I've known stay above 5 reps for their sets, yes. I'm not saying that no bodybuilder has ever used 5X5, just like I'm not saying that doing 3-5 rep sets will not build any muscle mass at all. But if you're more concerned with hypertrophy [looking swole] and not building your strength, I would recommend more 8-10 rep sets and fewer 3-5 rep sets. If you want to get bigger and get stronger, 5X5 offers a great balance between the two.

T-Nation didn't do an Atomic Dog this week, so I went back into the Archives and found one. Shoddy logic, but a good read.

High Testosterone

Well ain't that some shit. I was wondering how I seemed to be pushing more than a lot of people who seemed at least somewhat visibly larger. I guess I'll move it on up.

Jirotrom

demon said:
So hey, what's the deal with sushi? Is it bad for you in any way? It's got lots of white rice, and I'm pretty sure that's not great for keeping the fat off. I ask because all of a sudden I've had a crave for sushi and I don't know when it's going to go away.
rice is one of the foundation grains of the world:( if you want to keep fat off go running.

demon

Jirotrom said:
rice is one of the foundation grains of the world:( if you want to keep fat off go running.
Yeah well diet is more important to keeping fat off than any cardio is, and being one of the foundation grains of 1st and 3rd world countries alike doesn't have anything to do with getting a six-pack.

Jirotrom

demon said:
Yeah well diet is more important to keeping fat off than any cardio is, and being one of the foundation grains of 1st and 3rd world countries alike doesn't have anything to do with getting a six-pack.
Bruce Lee was cut as shit and his diet consisted mostly of rice and fresh veggies and little meat.

The point Im trying to make is that junk-food is what you should worry about...

demon

Jirotrom said:
Bruce Lee was cut as shit and his diet consisted mostly of rice and fresh veggies and little meat.
I've read more than once that asians can eat a lot more rice (or carbs in general) than caucasians without gaining any fat.

Zaptruder

Banned
demon said:
I've read more than once that asians can eat a lot more rice (or carbs in general) than caucasians without gaining any fat.

You think it's because the body gets used to just ignoring rice for excess energy? Or is it a genetic thing?

Jirotrom

demon said:
Well... My family is Nigerian, and rice is eaten daily, all Im saying is that you probably shouldn't worry about it. Are you planning on going and pigging out and eating till you pass out...probably not, you are in this thread so that says that for the most part you know what your limits are. I personally cant stand seafood, but I'm sure there will be a nice amount of omega 3s in the sushi, so maybe that will ease your worries.

If you are worried about it just dont eat it... carbs all together will almost always turn to triglycerides if you have it in excess. The thing is if you exercise and you will be fine. In my most fit times, my diet actually consisted of about 70% carbs, I wasn't swoll but I was very cut. If you feel that you can't do the exercise to use the fuel... don't eat it and get something else, you will be satiated all the same.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
demon said:

lol i heard that asians can drink alcohol ad nauseum and not become alcoholics.

Yeah, some of these genetic myths are a tad bit ridiculous.

demon

Sol.. said:
lol i heard that asians can drink alcohol ad nauseum and not become alcoholics.

Yeah, some of these genetic myths are a tad bit ridiculous.
So is it a myth that some cultures are more lactose tolerant than others?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
demon said:

*shrug*

Stuff of lore is built from these concepts. I just think it's funny where i hear little "i read/heard x race can take x better than everyone else" I'm hearing wilder stuff by the month. Like the other day My aunt was telling me that the reason why western countries are getting so fat is that we aren't eating food thats relative to our environment, climate, and season. Thats why asians are so small, because they basically eat food straight from their lands that can be grown in that season.

It's like every racial food related theory leads back to an example on what asians are doin.

demon said:
Well, there's research to back that up. And there's research to back up research on people from tropical areas having greater resistance to malaria and being more likely to have sickle cell anemia. But I think what Sol is talking about is how some people take something that's specific and backed up by research and stretch into sweeping statements explaining everything about the lives of an entire continent of people.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my diet is carb city and i still manage to stay fit. and no, i'm not one of those jokers who brags about being able to eat anything and stay slim--far from it. i just make sure to get plenty of exercise, and when the time comes, i feel just fine about demolishing an $80 plate of sushi.

Captain Glanton said:
Also, it will get much better over the weeks and months, as your body gets conditioned to the stress. And until then, remember this:

Um, there's a poster I have called "Squat Till You Puke." I was going to find a hotlink for it here. DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGE THIS PHRASE.
c_documents_and_settings_ragnhth_my_documents_ragnhildur_myndir_squat.jpg

I googled the pharse, found that image, and fired one off. u mad?

BamYouHaveAids said:
c_documents_and_settings_ragnhth_my_documents_ragnhildur_myndir_squat.jpg

I googled the pharse, found that image, and fired one off. u mad?
Eh? I was looking for the poster I have from Animal. It's of a guy about to squat ten plates and it says "Squat till you puke." What I found was porn pics of girls vomiting on dudes' dicks.

Mr.City

Here's something I've been wondering about. How fast do you guys do your reps? What I mean to say is do you do your reps at a more concentrated pace or with all might, as fast as you can?

-viper-

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Cut down your reps to 8-12, first of all. Squats take an enormous amount of oxygen, and as you get up in the number of reps you're testing your lungs rather than your legs. Now, there's a time and place for that type of work, but I wouldn't do it on the first page.

You had a 2 1/2 lb plate on each side? Cut the reps down and try it with a 10 on each side.

Also, I got a [point-n-shoot] digital camera today. If the knee holds up, I might post some Max Effort upper body stuff on Saturday. Stupid knee.
Front squats can be fucking killer.

I was literally gasping for breath after doing some DB front squats (for a first time in a long time).

I have athsma as well which makes it worse, heh.

kathode

Mr.City said:
Here's something I've been wondering about. How fast do you guys do your reps? What I mean to say is do you do your reps at a more concentrated pace or with all might, as fast as you can?

Explode up (fast but controlled), and control the negative. Basically you shoot the weight up off you, and come down in a smooth controlled motion. The main concern is that you maintain good form throughout. So you don't want to be doing it so fast that you're basically just springing the weight up and down, but I don't like to muck around on the way up. Then control it down - don't just drop it.

I do see some people doing "slow reps" where they do everything in slow motion. I don't really go for that. Although, I do some static holds on bicep curls every once in a while. Usually using a low cable with a straight bar and doing curls, I'll stop and hold it midway on the last rep and try to hit 30 seconds. Depending on how tired I am, it can be incredibly brutal. I definitely know it's been a good arm workout when I go home and my arm basically just fails when I'm trying to brush my teeth :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Mr.City said:

Personally I focus on the muscle rather than speed. Take biceps, for example (specifically a standing or sitting bicep curl). You're standing and the two dumbells are down at your waste. I like to close my eyes and really visualize what my biceps are going to do. I try to get a sensation of weightless for the rest of my body. Then I start the curl by focusing only on moving my biceps - no forearms/wrists/tricep/shoulders. I find this produces a pretty natural speed - not too fast or too slow.

This approach works great for the chest, which people have a hard time working. I think the chest is slow to develop for a lot of people because too many other muscles are being used with dumbell flys or dumbell presses. When you're doing a fly, your chest muscles should be controlling the movement of the dumbells from start to finish. Use the chest muscles to guide the movement of your arms. I think a lot of people start with moving the arms and then feel the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom