• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

lawblob said:
What about soy milk? Since I am lactose intolerant, I drink a ton of soy milk, but very little actual dairy. Is this equivalent for getting protein, or is it lacking in something I would otherwise get from cow's milk?

Soy milk is not a worthy replacement for regular milk. The two dairy proteins - whey and casein - are part of what make milk so useful.

Greg

On Sunday, my upper back was bothering me after lifting - doesn't hurt all the time, but if I'm hunched over or have my head pointed down for a bit, it starts hurting. Not really a constant pain either... kind of like a burn.

I've been lifting every other day for the past 2 months, trying to get in shape for tennis, and now today is a lifting day and I'm really not sure what to do. I don't want to hurt it even worse if I try to lift today, but I really feel like I'm letting myself down after going strong for 2 months.

Damnit.

Jirotrom

Greg said:
On Sunday, my upper back was bothering me after lifting - doesn't hurt all the time, but if I'm hunched over or have my head pointed down for a bit, it starts hurting. Not really a constant pain either... kind of like a burn.

I've been lifting every other day for the past 2 months, trying to get in shape for tennis, and now today is a lifting day and I'm really not sure what to do. I don't want to hurt it even worse if I try to lift today, but I really feel like I'm letting myself down after going strong for 2 months.

Damnit.
Best to let your body heal rather than suffer a permanent injury.

Jirotrom

demon said:
What about lactose-free milk?
well... my guess is since "lactose" is a sugar and not a protein, as I doubt they would remove the proteins along with the sugar so I assume that would be good.

A part of the theory behind milk's muscle building and weight gaining benefits isn't just the protein, but also the hormones. What hormones, exactly? Fuck if I know, that's just what they tell me!

Stuff like soy milk likely lacks those hormones. Lactose-free milk, I'm not as sure, but it likely lacks them too.

Since Eating healthy food is expensive...dieting to be exact.. I need to improvise.

Heres what Ive been doing ( More like.. what I got..)

Breakfast

Bowl of cereal ( special K )

Lunch

Wheat bread sandwich ( No mayonase or cheese ) with baked chips and a fruit

2 pieces of turkey ham 4g of fat per
lil ketchup and mustard
Workout days ( Protein Shake afterwards )

Dinner

Same thing as lunch , sometimes Red meat with white rice and some wheat bread

Drinks

Nothing but water

Sometimes I eat cashews for snacks..

Any suggestions..? Do I need to add more or take off stuff? Im building muscle/trying to get defined and trying to lose weight.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm down to 181.2 after my weigh-in this morning, down from 206 on March 14.

Yesssss.
Congrats.

SuperAndroid17 said:
Since Eating healthy food is expensive...dieting to be exact.. I need to improvise.

Heres what Ive been doing ( More like.. what I got..)

Breakfast

Bowl of cereal ( special K )

Lunch

Wheat bread sandwich ( No mayonase or cheese ) with baked chips and a fruit

2 pieces of turkey ham 4g of fat per
lil ketchup and mustard
Workout days ( Protein Shake afterwards )

Dinner

Same thing as lunch , sometimes Red meat with white rice and some wheat bread

Drinks

Nothing but water

Sometimes I eat cashews for snacks..

Any suggestions..? Do I need to add more or take off stuff? Im building muscle/trying to get defined and trying to lose weight.
If money is a concern, I'd add eggs with breakfast, for sure. You need protein to get going in the morning. I'd also get more variety between your lunch and dinner. Chicken breasts are more expensive than some things, but it's more 'bang for your buck' than most anything else than you can find. Overall, it looks like you're on the right track for sure.

Chichikov

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm down to 181.2 after my weigh-in this morning, down from 206 on March 14.

Yesssss.

Great job.

But 25 pounds in 6 weeks is a lot.
Make sure you’re doing it in a healthy manner.
Extreme dieting can fuck you up.

Jirotrom

Chichikov said:
Great job.

But 25 pounds in 6 weeks is a lot.
Make sure you’re doing it in a healthy manner.
Extreme dieting can fuck you up.
I did 43 pounds in 2 months once...but that was when I marched corps.

LOL thanks guys! I was definitely curious if just doing DDR and eating right would have an effect on my body, and it has. DDR has been my only workout, every day, besides one day it was actually nice enough outside to run around. So DDR works bitches. Of course I stopped drinking 8 Cokes a day and all you can drink beer on the weekends, so obviously that helps too. :)

The mountains of advice in this thread has been both helpful and inspiring, and I owe a large part to checking this thread on a daily basis too!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
LOL thanks guys! I was definitely curious if just doing DDR and eating right would have an effect on my body, and it has. DDR has been my only workout, every day, besides one day it was actually nice enough outside to run around. So DDR works bitches. Of course I stopped drinking 8 Cokes a day and all you can drink beer on the weekends, so obviously that helps too. :)

The mountains of advice in this thread has been both helpful and inspiring, and I owe a large part to checking this thread on a daily basis too!

Really awesome - congrats! Now let's get some muscle work in :D

Question: If you could only do one exercise to build your triceps, what would it be? In other words, what is the single best triceps exercise?

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Naked Snake said:
Question: If you could only do one exercise to build your triceps, what would it be? In other words, what is the single best triceps exercise?

Use close-grip bench press and dips. When I do close-grip my hands are usually 8-12 inches apart, and be EXTREMELY careful, as triceps are more likely to simply fail on you before a lot of other muscles. Just be cognizant of that. And also, no offense to you bud, but this question was asked already in the thread, so if you look back or search for it you may also be able to get other people's opinions besides mine.

Oh, another question :)

How can I strengthen my grip? It's affecting some of my exercises and limiting what I can do. Sometimes my muscles can easily do more repetitions or lift heavier weights, but my grip fails me.

Brendonia said:
Use close-grip bench press and dips. When I do close-grip my hands are usually 8-12 inches apart, and be EXTREMELY careful, as triceps are more likely to simply fail on you before a lot of other muscles. Just be cognizant of that. And also, no offense to you bud, but this question was asked already in the thread, so if you look back or search for it you may also be able to get other people's opinions besides mine.

I'll probably wont be doing the close-grip bench press if it's dangerous, because I almost never have a spotter. Which is the reason I also rarely do normal bench press and use dumbbells instead, because when my muscles fail I can easily bring the dumbbells down slowly and rest them on my thighs or just drop them to the sides. I'll search the thread for previous posts on this, thanks!

Naked Snake said:
I'll probably wont be doing the close-grip bench press if it's dangerous, because I almost never have a spotter. Which is the reason I also rarely do normal bench press and use dumbles instead, because when my muscle fail I can easily bring the dumbles down slowly and rest them on my thighs or just drop them to the sides. I'll search the thread for previous posts on this, thanks!

Here's the thing. They're really not THAT dangerous. You just have to be careful and know your body, because one rep may be fine and the next rep may be impossible. But consider this: your close grip bench press is not going to be a maximal load. When I fail to get the rep, I just lower it to my chest, slide my hands out, wait a few seconds, then easily press it up.

It's not a maximal load, so it's not crushing me or anything. I'd use 8-10 reps for 3 sets or so. This will keep the weight even lighter. Real heavy close grip benches are pretty damned hard on the wrists; its just not mechanically friendly.

RSTEIN

Naked Snake said:

My favs are:

- dumbell kickback
- cross face
- skull crushers

Naked Snake said:

How can I strengthen my grip? It's affecting some of my exercises and limiting what I can do. Sometimes my muscles can easily do more repetitions or lift heavier weights, but my grip fails me.

Are you deadlifting?

Try farmer's walks. Grab a pair of heavy dumbbells and walk around the gym with them. I'm not fond of all the grip pumpers they have in the gym now, but there are some pretty useful ones.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Find that doing shrugs and machine pulldowns have the added benefit of strengthening my grip (works out the forearm muscles a good amount). Just holding on to the amount of weights being thrown around.

RSTEIN said:
My favs are:

- dumbell kickback
- cross face
- skull crushers

Dumbell kickbacks own me :lol. They buuuurrrnnnnnn

lil smoke

Banned
Naked Snake said:

It happens naturally, but I see some people wrapping rubber grips or even towels around the bar. You can use lighter weights, and just focus on gripping that wider area.

There's also wrist curls for a supplement. I don't like those spring grip things, that gave me weird carpal syndrome.

Close-up bench press. I think if you keep the focus on the chest, you don't have to worry about triceps blowing out. If you try and bench with your triceps you may find trouble. Certainly start smaller and work up. Or start by using connecting dumbbells (which is not the same, but might help you get there)

RSTEIN

Ok, everyone needs to go out and buy FLEX - 25th Anniversary Addition with Arnold on the cover. There are three really great articles in there that address two of the most popular questions here:

1) What should I eat? What supplements should I take

and

2) How many reps should I do at what weight?

For 1), they have a 25 step meal/supplement plan. They tell you what you need to eat and when you need to eat it. It's really great. A 200 lbs bodybuilder should be eating about 4,000 calories, 300 g of protein, and 200 g of carbs a day. They also walk through what carbs you should eat (that questions comes up a lot here).

For 2), they actual have two very different articles that highlight there's really no right answer. They have a neat feature on Dario Yates.

His basic approach:
- do 2-3 warm up sets (about 8 reps each) at 50-70% max
- after, do ONE all out, leave everything on the floor, you can't see straight set. He says you shouldn't be able to remember where you live after this set.
- He has a plan that tackles certain body parts each day.
- If anything, it's an interesting read about this former Mr. Olympia.

They also have an article writtin by Ronnie Coleman. He claims that he never counts reps and counting reps should be the last thing on your mind. You should just focus on each rep and go until you can't stop :D

Mr. Snrub said:
Are you deadlifting?

Try farmer's walks. Grab a pair of heavy dumbbells and walk around the gym with them. I'm not fond of all the grip pumpers they have in the gym now, but there are some pretty useful ones.

Yes I'm deadlifting, and it's one of the workouts that makes me wish I had a stronger grip. I don't know what grip pumpers are (image googling that showed me some sexual images!), but I might do farmer's walks.

Mr. Snrub said:
When I fail to get the rep, I just lower it to my chest, slide my hands out, wait a few seconds, then easily press it up.

Great tip. Thanks!

Bggns

So.. Ive been attempting to jog as much as possible these last couple of months (atleast when the weather permits). Ive been doing 3 miles, I dont run none stop. i usually run for a couple of blocks then take a 1 block break (i live in NYC).

Ive run into an odd little problem. For some reason about half way into my run, my nipples get sensitive. It starts with my right nipple and now its progressing to both my nipples. so it feels sort of like someone is pinching them as i run. It makes running a tad bit awkward now.

Does anyone else ever get this? im pretty sure this isnt normal...

ugh.. i feel like a girl or something. am i the worlds first (real) pregnant man!?!

Naked Snake said:

I know I push them for a lot of things, but doing pull-ups hanging from a narrow ledge will do wonders for your forearms and grip [as well as your lats and traps].

However, you might suffer from the same genetic defect that I do, known as "little girl hands." Shorter fingers = less meat wrapped around the bar.

RSTEIN said:
They also have an article writtin by Ronnie Coleman. He claims that he never counts reps and counting reps should be the last thing on your mind. You should just focus on each rep and go until you can't stop :D
Ronnie can't count that high.

Bggns said:
So.. Ive been attempting to jog as much as possible these last couple of months (atleast when the weather permits). Ive been doing 3 miles, I dont run none stop. i usually run for a couple of blocks then take a 1 block break (i live in NYC).

Ive run into an odd little problem. For some reason about half way into my run, my nipples get sensitive. It starts with my right nipple and now its progressing to both my nipples. so it feels sort of like someone is pinching them as i run. It makes running a tad bit awkward now.

ugh.. i feel like a girl or something. am i the worlds first (real) pregnant man!?!
I don't run long distance, but iirc, your shirt is chafing against your nipples. Some runners put tape over their nipples to prevent this. Again, iirc.

For Triceps
--I think that weighted dips are the best.

--I had success with decline skull crushers for a while, but handling the weight at that awkward angle got to be too much of a chore. Getting into position on a decline bench with 175 or whatever it was wasn't fun.

--I did close grip bench, too. Do not put your hands completely together--you will kill your wrists if you use any weight at all. You can put your hands just inside your shoulders and you'll be fine.

RSTEIN said:
Ok, everyone needs to go out and buy FLEX

Good God.

For 2), they actual have two very different articles that highlight there's really no right answer. They have a neat feature on Dario Yates.

His basic approach:
- do 2-3 warm up sets (about 8 reps each) at 50-70% max
- after, do ONE all out, leave everything on the floor, you can't see straight set. He says you shouldn't be able to remember where you live after this set.
- He has a plan that tackles certain body parts each day.
- If anything, it's an interesting read about this former Mr. Olympia.

Sorry, but HIT is not the best method for strength gains.

Ronnie is awesome for what he's accomplished, but lets not kid ourselves about drug use here.

Always keep stuff from FLEX magazine in perspective.

Naked Snake said:
I don't know what grip pumpers are (image googling that showed me some sexual images!), but I might do farmer's walks.

:lol
There are usually some very interesting grip machines in gyms, I don't know the names for all of em. I'd recommend doing some thick bar work, farmer's walker, and pull ups like Glanton said.

Greg

My back is still bothering me slightly - I'm so damn frustrated because I feel like I'm just getting smaller with every day that passes (even though it has only been two days since my last workout, it's the first time in my life when I have really been looking forward to working out).

I don't even know what type of lifting started to bother it, so I'm afraid to do any of my workout... feel useless right now.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Brendonia said:

Also elbows should be tucked in and the inside of your triceps should be grazing the side of your rib cage. Most people fail doing both of those things even experienced lifters.

Barrett2

Naked Snake said:

I am a fan of Sitting Tricep Extensions. They seem to work well, and I don't feel strained or ever get injured like I do with other tricep exercises. But like other free weight tricep exercises, you need to be careful.

Struct09

RSTEIN said:
they have a 25 step meal/supplement plan. They tell you what you need to eat and when you need to eat it. It's really great. A 200 lbs bodybuilder should be eating about 4,000 calories, 300 g of protein, and 200 g of carbs a day. They also walk through what carbs you should eat (that questions comes up a lot here).

Are you sure the recommendation here is correct? If a person is looking to get 300g of protein and 200g of carbs out of a 4000 calorie diet, that means that 50% of the diet is dietary fat. I'm not saying that dietary fat isn't important to any good diet, but 2000 calories worth per day seems a bit high, and carbohydrates are typically more helpful when it comes to gaining muscle.

RSTEIN

Struct09 said:
Are you sure the recommendation here is correct? If a person is looking to get 300g of protein and 200g of carbs out of a 4000 calorie diet, that means that 50% of the diet is dietary fat. I'm not saying that dietary fat isn't important to any good diet, but 2000 calories worth per day seems a bit high, and carbohydrates are typically more helpful when it comes to gaining muscle.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just passing it along.

Vanish

ok possibly stupid question, earlier in the thread, people mentioned how you should take 20 grams of creatine each workout day for a week. well i got some tablet creatine and each tablet is only 2.5 grams and it says i should take 1 or 2 a day. will it be safe to take 8 to equal the 20 grams or will i die of poison (i highly doubt but you can never be too careful....).

Mr.City

I did it. I would usually chicken out of squats, but today I fought it and won. I started off light only using 50lbs. My focus was more on form then sheer load.

I got my form down. No pain in the knees, no pain in the back. Of course, this could be due to the fact that was working light today. I did about 3 sets of 15 reps and I was really feeling it on that last set.

I was wondering how much I should increase the load by next time.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Bggns said:

http://images.google.com/images?sou...:en&q=running bloody nipples&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Quite common for men when running. Its just chafing from the shirt. Women figured out a long time ago you don't want something repeatedly rubbing across your nipples.

I just apply bandaids before running and its no problem (I've run a few marathons, do triathlons and have completed an ironman so I've run a lot...).

RSTEIN

Vanish said:
ok possibly stupid question, earlier in the thread, people mentioned how you should take 20 grams of creatine each workout day for a week. well i got some tablet creatine and each tablet is only 2.5 grams and it says i should take 1 or 2 a day. will it be safe to take 8 to equal the 20 grams or will i die of poison (i highly doubt but you can never be too careful....).

Hey,

Did you get my PM? I don't recall anyone saying 20g of creatine. That's pretty excessive and I've never seen any tablet or powder recommend that amount. I think 10g is the recommended max. I would take 2 2.5g tablets if I were you. Ease into it.

Mr.City said:
I did it. I would usually chicken out of squats, but today I fought it and won. I started off light only using 50lbs. My focus was more on form then sheer load.

I got my form down. No pain in the knees, no pain in the back. Of course, this could be due to the fact that was working light today. I did about 3 sets of 15 reps and I was really feeling it on that last set.

I was wondering how much I should increase the load by next time.
Cut down your reps to 8-12, first of all. Squats take an enormous amount of oxygen, and as you get up in the number of reps you're testing your lungs rather than your legs. Now, there's a time and place for that type of work, but I wouldn't do it on the first page.

You had a 2 1/2 lb plate on each side? Cut the reps down and try it with a 10 on each side.

Also, I got a [point-n-shoot] digital camera today. If the knee holds up, I might post some Max Effort upper body stuff on Saturday. Stupid knee.

Captain Glanton said:
Just me, but I'd put MOVING above solving the masturbation problem.

I'm working on it. :D

I don't need even more excuses to remain tubby.

Spent 15 minutes warming up on an exercise bike, and then 30 minutes on an elliptical runner.

I need to sick with this routine.

Also cut out the fried fast foods. And fast food in general. >:|

Vanish

RSTEIN said:
Hey,

Did you get my PM? I don't recall anyone saying 20g of creatine. That's pretty excessive and I've never seen any tablet or powder recommend that amount. I think 10g is the recommended max. I would take 2 2.5g tablets if I were you. Ease into it.

yeah i got the pm, thanks for the tips, i guess i mustve read the 20 grams wrong somewhere

RSTEIN said:
Hey,

1 scoop of no-xplode is 20g ( then again no-xplode isnt just pure creatine... its that and more shit )

Thats the recommended powder Im taking the days I workout. 10z of water with 1 scoop.
Im the load phase btw, so its 20g for 1 week then its 5g for the next 3 then 0 for a month.

Mr.City

Captain Glanton said:
Cut down your reps to 8-12, first of all. Squats take an enormous amount of oxygen, and as you get up in the number of reps you're testing your lungs rather than your legs. Now, there's a time and place for that type of work, but I wouldn't do it on the first page.

You had a 2 1/2 lb plate on each side? Cut the reps down and try it with a 10 on each side.

Also, I got a [point-n-shoot] digital camera today. If the knee holds up, I might post some Max Effort upper body stuff on Saturday. Stupid knee.

Actually, it was fifty pounds with 2 twenty five plates on each side. Should I still up it by 10?

Vanish

SuperAndroid17 said:
1 scoop of no-xplode is 20g ( then again no-xplode isnt just pure creatine... its that and more shit )

Thats the recommended powder Im taking the days I workout. 10z of water with 1 scoop.
Im the load phase btw, so its 20g for 1 week then its 5g for the next 3 then 0 for a month.

alright thanks, i'll keep that in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom