• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanish said:
i also work out other body parts like my biceps and abs, but it seems like my chest (for benching) and triceps are by far the slowest at advancing. i dont feel sore after benching but when i come back to bench another day, the first set is the hardest for me to do b/c my chest starts feeling sore. i dont feel sore any more for the next two sets so theyre much easier. hopefully youll understand what im trying to say....

my other muscles dont usually feel sore other than my abs

You need to lower the reps. Higher reps will not increase your max. Do three sets of 5 at your 10 rep weight, and slowly increase the weight each workout, in small increments.

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
i also work out other body parts like my biceps and abs, but it seems like my chest (for benching) and triceps are by far the slowest at advancing. i dont feel sore after benching but when i come back to bench another day, the first set is the hardest for me to do b/c my chest starts feeling sore. i dont feel sore any more for the next two sets so theyre much easier. hopefully youll understand what im trying to say....

my other muscles dont usually feel sore other than my abs
well... for me, and I'm sure others on gaf can explain better, if I am know longer getting sore I usually increase 5 pounds and lower my reps, but like I said before, I don't think you are intaking enough protein. Fish, Chicken, protein shakes... should be fine. You seem really healthy, but I don't think your diet is proper for "building" muscle. I would start adding just one extra protein shake or chicken lunch or tuna sandwich or something to your diet, and see what results you get from that. Dont drastically change it just yet, test out how your body handles this.
Like snubs above me states, lower reps increase the weight a little... and it should go up. Its essentially what I've done in the past albeit a little differently:p, I like to shock my muscles once in a while to get my gains. I usually keep my workouts fairly manageable.

Struct09

Vanish said:
ok well my usual diet is:

Breakfast: cereal (mostly healthy ones)

Lunch: sandwich or one of those microwavable lean meals

dinner: rice with chicken

while eating snacks like yogurt throughout the day and eating my protein drink/bar after i work out.

i also do aerobic excercise sometimes that i should probably stop...

my current bench weight is 120 :(

i can go almost all the way down and do 10 reps but barely though...

Sounds like you need to eat more. Add things such as oats, nuts, fruits, and eggs to your diet.

Also, make sure you're doing core exercises such as the squat. They are good for overall strength, and will help build the nervous system needed for lifting heavier.

Trident said:
Sounds like a problem most of us had until we eventually relinquished and focused heavily on legs and back.

Bingo.

As far as milk, read the discussion I had posted a little while ago. I just don't think you can match the necessary milk intake with a similar cheese intake, if that's what you're suggesting.

If you can get your protein and such from other sources, fine. But milk is an EXCELLENT source for nutrients and protein. Rippetoe calls it Nature's Steroid.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Bingo.

As far as milk, read the discussion I had posted a little while ago. I just don't think you can match the necessary milk intake with a similar cheese intake, if that's what you're suggesting.

If you can get your protein and such from other sources, fine. But milk is an EXCELLENT source for nutrients and protein. Rippetoe calls it Nature's Steroid.
correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there some link to prostate cancer with high milk intake, personally I drink quite a bit of milk because I use them to mix protein shakes.

Vanish

alright i'll try the lower reps, increased weight

and eating extra food

i just want my chest get a lot bigger b/c of the extra strength

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
alright i'll try the lower reps, increased weight

and eating extra food

i just want my chest get a lot bigger b/c of the extra strength
ehhh...I wouldn't just focus on your chest... its a much better idea to focus on total body strength....imo your core is more important than anything, your pecs don't do much anyways:p Thats just for looks:p

make sure you have a spot btw...

Barrett2

GAF, I just hit a personal milestone! Today I put up 245lbs on the bench press. I did 3 sets - 6x5x4 reps.

I have never attempted to do that much, so I am very excited. It's amazing how much more intense my workouts are when I have a spotter, even if just for a few exercises.

Unfortunately, I have a massive 20 page paper due in a few days, and I was supposed to work on it all evening. Instead, given that I can already barely type or keep my eyes open, I am pretty sure I will be asleep by 9:00. Damn school...

Vanish

Jirotrom said:
ehhh...I wouldn't just focus on your chest... its a much better idea to focus on total body strength....imo your core is more important than anything, your pecs don't do much anyways:p Thats just for looks:p

i mean of course i'll work out most of my body as well, but im not trying to be a hardcore bodybuilder or anything. i just want to be stronger than the average person, be in great shape, and of course i want the looks as well :)

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
i mean of course i'll work out most of my body as well, but im not trying to be a hardcore bodybuilder or anything. i just want to be stronger than the average person, be in great shape, and of course i want the looks as well :)
im just teasing:p

lawblob said:
GAF, I just hit a personal milestone! Today I put up 245lbs on the bench press. I did 3 sets - 6x5x4 reps.

I have never attempted to do that much, so I am very excited. It's amazing how much more intense my workouts are when I have a spotter, even if just for a few exercises.

Unfortunately, I have a massive 20 page paper due in a few days, and I was supposed to work on it all evening. Instead, given that I can already barely type or keep my eyes open, I am pretty sure I will be asleep by 9:00. Damn school...
congrats!!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lawblob said:

Nice. These little milestones can give a person so much motivation. I remember when I curled 30lbs (5x10) for the first time :D

Wow! I re-read Winesburg, Ohio and take a nap, and there are almost 50 new posts!

My Two Cents on Bench Pressing:
I think that it's a mistake to get caught up in bench pressing numbers. That's how pec tears can happen. However, if you really want to increase your numbers, you need to know that the key to benching strength is really in the triceps, and to some extent the shoulders and the back. For a proper benching form:

--rotate your shoulder blades back and up [under you, on the bench].

--'walk' your feet back so that they are under your mid-thigh.

--grip the bar so that it's lying across the meat of your palms.

--bring the bar down under your pecs, not straight down across the tops of your pecs and across you shoulders.

--when you press, allow your elbows to creep forward [toward your hips]. Do not force them to stay at right angles to the bar and to your hands.

This is a powerlifter's benching form. I sincerely believe that it's much safer than the bodybuilder's form, which is basically what's in the 'nots' above. Look here for more information. The pic on that page is the type of form I'm trying to describe.

Regarding Building Strength:
If you want to build your overall strength on any lift, I think that the best, healthiest, fastest, most vigorous way is to train your back and legs like a fucking Hulk and everything else like a normal person. This means that when you train back and legs, you're pushing yourself to the point of failure all the time, that you're putting as much weight as you can handle on every exercise, and that you're doing as many sets as your body can handle. If you want to be strong [I mean this in a profound sense, not just that you are doing 20lbs more than your friend], you should feel like dogshit at the end of your leg and back workouts. Then, you should do your other exercises [chest, arms, etc] with intensity but not to the point where people look at you funny. If you do this, I honestly believe that you will make faster gains everywhere, not just your legs and back.

Edit: If you are going to do this, you need to eat lots and lots of food.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
Wow! I re-read Winesburg, Ohio and take a nap, and there are almost 50 new posts!

My Two Cents on Bench Pressing:
I think that it's a mistake to get caught up in bench pressing numbers. That's how pec tears can happen. However, if you really want to increase your numbers, you need to know that the key to benching strength is really in the triceps, and to some extent the shoulders and the back. For a proper benching form:

--rotate your shoulder blades back and up [under you, on the bench].

--'walk' your feet back so that they are under your mid-thigh.

--grip the bar so that it's lying across the meat of your palms.

--bring the bar down under your pecs, not straight down across the tops of your pecs and across you shoulders.

--when you press, allow your elbows to creep forward [toward your hips]. Do not force them to stay at right angles to the bar and to your hands.

This is a powerlifter's benching form. I sincerely believe that it's much safer than the bodybuilder's form, which is basically what's in the 'nots' above. Look here for more information. The pic on that page is the type of form I'm trying to describe.

If you want to build your overall strength on any lift, I think that the best, healthiest, fastest, most vigorous way is to train your back and legs like a fucking Hulk and everything else like a normal person. This means that when you train back and legs, you're pushing yourself to the point of failure all the time, that you're putting as much weight as you can handle on every exercise, and that you're doing as many sets as your body can handle. If you want to be strong [I mean this in a profound sense, not just that you are doing 20lbs more than your friend], you should feel like dogshit at the end of your leg and back workouts. Then, you should do your other exercises [chest, arms, etc] with intensity but not to the point where people look at you funny. If you do this, I honestly believe that you will make faster gains everywhere, not just your legs and back.

haha...im an idiot, I forgot to ask him about his back. I used to neglect my back, but I started focusing on my core, and that ended. Kettlebell and rowing and pulldowns for me.

YYZ

Hey captain, is 5x5 generally better than something like 3x6? What kind of weight relative to a 1RM should be used with 5x5? When I do 3x6, I'm going high enough that doing the last rep is very difficult, but it could be a mental thing.

YYZ said:
Hey captain, is 5x5 generally better than something like 3x6? What kind of weight relative to a 1RM should be used with 5x5? When I do 3x6, I'm going high enough that doing the last rep is very difficult, but it could be a mental thing.
5X5 is generally regarded as the magic number for getting strong. If you want to gauge your 1 Rep Strength, I'd do a 5 Rep Max [for one set, not for five] and then search www.bodybuilding.com for the chart.

Primordial said:
I just got my ass kicked by 15 min of HIIT session.:D

Ditto. Stairs, again. Now that it's so nice out, I'm just on a lookout for a good hill or stadium I can use instead, though I may just substitute every other set of stairs with sprints. Gives me a bit more time outdoors for some more fresh air, and some free sunlight never hurts.

Captain Glanton said:
If you want to build your overall strength on any lift, I think that the best, healthiest, fastest, most vigorous way is to train your back and legs like a fucking Hulk and everything else like a normal person.

There is some good science behind this too, if I'm understanding it right. Building up your legs and back (a lot more muscles there than in your arms or chest), you'll start to increase the strength and size of the muscles there, and as we all know, muscle burns fat/calories, so you'll start to look more toned overall as more energy is burned when resting simply because of all these larger muscles.

That, and more leg and back strength is good for stability and which keeps injury risk down.

YYZ

Captain Glanton said:
5X5 is generally regarded as the magic number for getting strong. If you want to gauge your 1 Rep Strength, I'd do a 5 Rep Max [for one set, not for five] and then search www.bodybuilding.com for the chart.
Thanks for the tips, but I'm not sure what chart you're talking about.

Soka said:
There is some good science behind this too, if I'm understanding it right. Building up your legs and back (a lot more muscles there than in your arms or chest), you'll start to increase the strength and size of the muscles there, and as we all know, muscle burns fat/calories, so you'll start to look more toned overall as more energy is burned when resting simply because of all these larger muscles.
I've read that you get some massive boosts in whatever stimulates muscle growth (various hormones and whatnot) from pounding the legs so it's a benefit to overall muscle growth. I'm not 100% positive if this is true, but it seems to be true.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:

This is really a great advice, and some supporting anecdotal evidence -
I’m mostly a runner, and many of my running friends avoided squats and deadlifts with the common excuse that "my legs are getting enough work as it is".
And guess what, forget practical strength, even when measuring it by gym results, the people who I managed to change their minds saw noticeable improvements in pretty much all their other strength exercises.

The one thing I would comment though is that working until failure in squat and deadlifts is not a beginner exercise, so I would advise an inexperienced lifter to not quite take that approach.

Has anyone had surgery for a pilonidal?

I ask cause I had it a couple weeks ago and last week I just started going back to the gym. Holy shit....I think I am going to have to go really light on anything involving glutes/hamstrings/quads for a while cause those just irritate the shit out of where the surgey was. I tried doing squats and even on just a unloaded bar I was hurting big time. Split squats/lunges/deadlifts didn't seem to bother it at the time, but when the next morning I could feel the damage i did to where the incision was. It was not pretty.

If anyone has any suggestions on exercises I could focus on while I am recovering from this thing it would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep going to the gym, I felt like so lazy and anxious to get back, during the five weeks I took off to heal from the surgery.

And yeah, I talked to my doctor. He cleared me for heavy lifting and stuff, he just said to take it easy if I start feeling in pain and to call him if excessive bleeding occurs. So far its just been a shit ton of puss and a little bit of blood.

radiuhm

If anyone is looking for a template to start off of, if you're new to powerlifting, here ya go: Bill Starr 5x5

Read the article, and there's an excel file at the end, it keeps track of the weight for you.

Vanish

5x5 means 5 sets, 5 reps right?

also capt glanton, you said the best way to gain strength is to work out your back and legs. deadlifts and squats do that right?

Chichikov said:
This is really a great advice, and some supporting anecdotal evidence -

The one thing I would comment though is that working until failure in squat and deadlifts is not a beginner exercise, so I would advise an inexperienced lifter to not quite take that approach.
Good catch. "Failure" should probably be interpreted to mean "until you feel like crap" and not "until you drop the bar."

YYZ said:
Thanks for the tips, but I'm not sure what chart you're talking about.
One Rep Max Calculator

Vanish said:
also capt glanton, you said the best way to gain strength is to work out your back and legs. deadlifts and squats do that right?

In my opinion, the best exercises per bodypart, in descending order:

Legs: Back Squat, Front Squat, Walking Dumbbell Lunges
Back: Deadlift, Weighted Pullups, Barbell Rows
Other: Overhead Press, Weighted Dips, Flat Bench Press

radiuhm

Vanish said:
5x5 means 5 sets, 5 reps right?

Yea 5x5 means 5 sets 5 reps, but look at the article i posted, or any power lifting article, concerning exercises that make you strong, all you really need is squat, bench, deadlift, and a couple accessory exercises.

Vanish

From what i understood from reading page 19 (with 100 posts per page)

To maximize my protein intake, and mass and strength increase I should:

Take creatine before or after a workout and take a protein shake in the opposite part

Drink another protein shake throughout the day

Eat lots of protein food

Even on rest days, i should drink one protein shake

Week one, take big portions of creatine on each serving. Reduce the portion for the next 2-3 weeks. Skip a month, and repeat.

Is this correct? Thanks

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Captain Glanton said:
If you want to build your overall strength on any lift, I think that the best, healthiest, fastest, most vigorous way is to train your back and legs like a fucking Hulk and everything else like a normal person. This means that when you train back and legs, you're pushing yourself to the point of failure all the time , that you're putting as much weight as you can handle on every exercise, and that you're doing as many sets as your body can handle. If you want to be strong [I mean this in a profound sense, not just that you are doing 20lbs more than your friend], you should feel like dogshit at the end of your leg and back workouts. Then, you should do your other exercises [chest, arms, etc] with intensity but not to the point where people look at you funny. If you do this, I honestly believe that you will make faster gains everywhere, not just your legs and back.

Do you mean "training to failure"?

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
From what i understood from reading page 19 (with 100 posts per page)

To maximize my protein intake, and mass and strength increase I should:

Take creatine before or after a workout and take a protein shake in the opposite part

Drink another protein shake throughout the day

Eat lots of protein food

Even on rest days, i should drink one protein shake

Week one, take big portions of creatine on each serving. Reduce the portion for the next 2-3 weeks. Skip a month, and repeat.

Is this correct? Thanks
I would wait on the creatine...only because I think you can get good gains just sticking with protein and a good mutivitamin right now. Captain Glanton stated it right, working out your back will definitely help you gain some strength in your bench, as well as your triceps. If you do decide use a creatine I would recommend this... Remember to drink lots of water.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1750

EDIT, and I always liked taking protein and creatine before and after, though I take about 20g of protein before and 20 after... I'm weird though:p

EDIT2.... I forgot to mention this... KEEP A JOURNAL! All these things we are telling you, you can document them and observe how your body responds, its a long process but you become almost an experiment ( for lack of a better term) or a research project that can last years.

Vanish

Jirotrom said:
I would wait on the creatine...only because I think you can get good gains just sticking with protein and a good mutivitamin right now. Captain Glanton stated it right, working out your back will definitely help you gain some strength in your bench, as well as your triceps. If you do decide use a creatine I would recommend this... Remember to drink lots of water.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=1750

EDIT, and I always liked taking protein and creatine before and after, though I take about 20g of protein before and 20 after... I'm weird though:p

EDIT2.... I forgot to mention this... KEEP A JOURNAL! All these things we are telling you, you can document them and observe how your body responds, its a long process but you become almost an experiment ( for lack of a better term) or a research project that can last years.

any protein shakes you recommend as well?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Christopher said:
61 days till the summer folks

get those asses in the gym, a lot can happen in two months.

Preach it brotha :D

Totally had a fantastic workout today. Did 50lb Decline Dumbell Presses (I originally started at 2 months ago 35lb). Did Dips (for the chest), I can get a few out with my own body weight (couldn't even extend down when I first started). I did 2 full sets of 160lb Military Presses (started out at 90lb). Throw in some other Tricep, Shoulder and Chest exercises too :D

Finally, my body is just tight. I can flex my titties, the circumference of my arms are very thick and my shoulders look more box like and stout. Doing Stomach Vacuums on my off days to counter act the pushing of regular abdominal workouts, my stomach looks more fit.

Alot can happen in 2 Months if you eat right and train smart.

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
any protein shakes you recommend as well?
I've used alot, but I go cheap now... I list my favorites then I'll list what Ime using now...

My favorite is
Syntha 6

Syntha-6-140x140.jpg

Its expensive and not alot of bang for your buck... but its my favorite because it works damn well and the strawberry flavor is fantastic.

Next is

100% whey Gold Standard, lots of bang for your buck.... you can't go wrong with it.

100whey5lb-140x140.jpg

What I'm using now are 2 different... first is the one I use during the day before and after lifts...

Econo Whey protein ... Im just testing this right now, I bought it because it was cheap, and the carbs and fat were real low, and it has a fair amount of BCAA. I'm not sure on it yet, because I haven't had enough time with it.

SF-322-140x140.jpg

and Finally
Gold Standard 100% Casein... this is for nighttime, I drink a serving before sleep as its a slow digesting protein... tastes friggen horrible.

Casein5lb-140x140.jpg

but for you I would get the gold standard stuff... they are cheap, and I can vouch for those, and syntha 6... but Syntha 6 is too costly for the amount of protein you get...(2 weeks worth at most for me)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
100% Gold Standard Whey = Awesome. I've got the Banana Flavor currently

I would also recommend Designer Whey since it tastes so delicious (when compared to other Protein shakes on the market).

Odrion

Banned
Simple enough question: my gut stick pokes out whenever I relax and don't focus on tightening my chest, should I focus on exercising my abs muscles?

Chichikov

Odrion said:
Simple enough question: my gut stick pokes out whenever I relax and don't focus on tightening my chest, should I focus on exercising my abs muscles?
No.
To lose your gut you'll need to lose fat, and working your abs is hardly the most effective way to do it.

You should obviously should not neglect your abs, they are a very important muscle group that should be worked on as part of your training, but bigger abs will actually make your gut bigger.

Odrion

Banned
Chichikov said:
No.
To lose your gut you'll need to lose fat, and working your abs is hardly the most effective way to do it.

You should obviously should not neglect your abs, they are a very important muscle group that should be worked on as part of your training, but bigger abs will actually make your gut bigger.
Well I thought that bigger abs made your belly bigger, but I have lost weight and thought it still stuck out because of weak muscle or something.

VV Don't think it's fat, it's not jiggling fat but if I don't keep my gut tight (I don't mean sucking in) it pokes out.

edit: and I know you can't spot reduce.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Odrion said:
Is it fat or is your gut actually sticking out? Sometimes people have a gut because their ab muscles are really weak and/or they have bad posture.

Jirotrom

demon said:
Is it fat or is your gut actually sticking out? Sometimes people have a gut because their ab muscles are really weak and/or they have bad posture.
pretty much... he needs to work out his lower back...Deadlift if he can... I can't, something to do with my joints... I can't do dead lift or squat...its weird but its genetic I just do Kettlebell excercises and reverse crunches with weights for my lower back. and rows.

God damn!

I seriously need to hit my cardio regularly again and drop 40lbs.

209lbs, 5'10"

It's not severely obese; but it's bad enough that it's causing problems with my digestive / GI system, and now - the terrible icing on the shit-cake
I now get incredibly horrible migraines shooting when rubbing one out!
>:O

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I still also need to just see my doctor just in case I've got the ass cancer or something.

The Take Out Bandit said:
God damn!

I seriously need to hit my cardio regularly again and drop 40lbs.

209lbs, 5'10"

It's not severely obese; but it's bad enough that it's causing problems with my digestive / GI system, and now - the terrible icing on the shit-cake
I now get incredibly horrible migraines shooting when rubbing one out!
>:O

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

I still also need to just see my doctor just in case I've got the ass cancer or something.

I'd kill myself if I had that problem.

Also, that's really strange. Everything I've ever read leads me to believe that
rubbing one out/sex
actually reduces headaches (presuming you had one during the orgasm).

Like I said, I'd probably just off myself. :lol

Also, I doubt your weight has to do with it, but it never hurts to start up some cardio and weight lifting routine!

Soka said:
I'd kill myself if I had that problem.

Also, that's really strange. Everything I've ever read leads me to believe that
rubbing one out/sex
actually reduces headaches (presuming you had one during the orgasm).

Like I said, I'd probably just off myself. :lol

Also, I doubt your weight has to do with it, but it never hurts to start up some cardio and weight lifting routine!

Well I've never had the problem in the past. So I have no doubt it's a lifestyle issue.

But your blood pressure rises during a good wank, and that can cause some problems in your body if it's not prepared for it.

I pretty much gave up on cycling in my ghetto since the natives have gotten restless to the point that it's completely unsafe to leave the house sans a concealed carry permit. Which admittedly could be fun, pulling a drive-by on a bicycle. Better yet, do that T2 shotgun spin/cock on a bicycle! :p

Not to mention just having more energy and feeling better overall.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Just had a week or so off due to a slightly dodgy left leg, but been training for futsal/soccer improvements, pretty basic stuff

training :

warm up : 100 60 degree sit ups

3 sets of :
1km run (3:30 or so pace)
50 sit ups 60 deg.
50 back extensions

5km run wind down : 5 min km rate.

though i play each week :

1x1 hour futsal
1x2 hour futsal

Still a podgy we fukka! lol.
The idea was to do Crossfit, but i'm pretty much addicted to improving times on the above set.

Oh, currently 154 lb, aiming for 143 lb. 11 lbs to go.

Barrett2

Mr. Snrub said:

What about soy milk? Since I am lactose intolerant, I drink a ton of soy milk, but very little actual dairy. Is this equivalent for getting protein, or is it lacking in something I would otherwise get from cow's milk?

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well I've never had the problem in the past. So I have no doubt it's a lifestyle issue.

But your blood pressure rises during a good wank, and that can cause some problems in your body if it's not prepared for it.

I pretty much gave up on cycling in my ghetto since the natives have gotten restless to the point that it's completely unsafe to leave the house sans a concealed carry permit. Which admittedly could be fun, pulling a drive-by on a bicycle. Better yet, do that T2 shotgun spin/cock on a bicycle! :p

Not to mention just having more energy and feeling better overall.
Just me, but I'd put MOVING above solving the masturbation problem.

Jirotrom

lawblob said:
What about soy milk? Since I am lactose intolerant, I drink a ton of soy milk, but very little actual dairy. Is this equivalent for getting protein, or is it lacking in something I would otherwise get from cow's milk?
If you are a male dont drink Soy Milk... it raises your Estrogen levels. This wont aid you very well in muscle gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom