• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
Thanks fellas. Why didn't I think of that? Because I was hoping for something easier :lol Oh well, I'll get to it tommorrow morn.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Was watching some Michael Ferencsik vids on youtube and I really like his techniques when it comes to working out. For instance, for pullups he suggests that if you can't do a rep with your own bodyweight you jump up hold yourself there and let youself down slowly feeling the back muscles contract. Keep doing that and you'll eventually get used to your own bodyweight.

BlueTsunami said:
Was watching some Michael Ferencsik vids on youtube and I really like his techniques when it comes to working out. For instance, for pullups he suggests that if you can't do a rep with your own bodyweight you jump up hold yourself there and let youself down slowly feeling the back muscles contract. Keep doing that and you'll eventually get used to your own bodyweight.

Yup. Negatives are great for pull ups.

BlueTsunami

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Question: How many times a week should you do HIIT for it to be effective? It probably isn't a good idea to do it straight after a weights session, is it?

From what I've read, try to do HIIT on your Weightlifting off days. 2-3 times a week should be good enough. Should only take 10-20 Minutes out of your day :D

Struct09

Question: How many times a week should you do HIIT for it to be effective? It probably isn't a good idea to do it straight after a weights session, is it?

I do it 3x a week, 15 minutes per session, and keep it on days that I don't lift.

BlueTsunami

Also, day or night its fine but I've read that you get more from the HIIT session from doing it early in the morning (or when you first wake up). Your metabolism should be up throughout the day which will help you out.

Argh , My mind is certainly fucking with me

I did not want to weight myself FUCK..

Its been almost 2 months since I started working out physically...Ive watched myself grow , get stronger and get defined. I started at 186 and Now im up too almost 198-200.
I look thinner and I think I look way better, but what gives? I gained so much weight...I think its the damn protein. I take 2 protein shakes the day I do workout and creatine right before then 1 shake when I dont. Suggestions? Is this the correct path? I dont want to be overweight...

Ive lost 65 pounds in a 2 yr span btw before I went into the physical workouts.

SuperAndroid17 said:

Its been almost 2 months since I started working out physically...Ive watched myself grow , get stronger and get defined. I started at 186 and Now im up too almost 198-200.
I look thinner and I think I look way better, but what gives? I gained so much weight...I think its the damn protein. I take 2 protein shakes the day I do workout and creatine right before then 1 shake when I dont. Suggestions? Is this the correct path? I dont want to be overweight...

Dude, relax. You've been packing on muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

EDIT: OK... I just got back from my first session of HIIT... I did it by running up the slope of a hill... I lasted seven minutes before I had to stop... At the end, my lungs were burning, my gums and shoulder joints were aching, my heart was pounding a hole in my chest and I felt like I would either faint or vomit or both...

After I warmed down, I plonked myself on the grass and just lay there, panting... I got home 20 minutes ago and I still haven't caught my breath... I used to do a lot of long distance running back in high school and it never felt like this.... Not once...

Someone please tell me it gets better... I have a party to go to tonight and I feel like I'll spend the whole time sitting down catching my breath... Someone tell me it gets better... please...

SuperAndroid17 said:

Think about what you just said. You look thinner, more defined, better, and you are stronger. Who gives a fuck what the scale says? This is the inherent problem with BMI...it doesn't take bodyfat % into account.

So stop worrying.

SuperAndroid17 said:

Adding to the other two responses, I will say that you should never, ever use the standards of the mass media [Oprah, CNN, whatever] in determining your fitness level. Judge your fitness level by whether you're more fit: more physically capable, more active, less bodyfat. The mass media practices of using BMI, telling people to 1 minute of situps a day to lose weight, to stop exercising if they feel discomfort, measuring progress with numbers, it's all shit. If you are serious enough to be reading this thread, you're serious enough to live all that behind.

Unless you're working to make weight for a sport, you don't need to be marking your progress with a scale. And besides, I'm on the border between obese and morbidly obese according to BMI, and I don't exactly consider myself obese.

Slo

Just an update to anybody that was paying attention to my whine-athon a couple pages ago. I've upped my calories from ~2200 to ~2500 about two weeks or so ago and I do feel marginally better. My motivation is higher, but not really my performance. My weight is down to 182-3 from 184-5, but I'm still pretty weak. I don't feel explosive anymore, and I feel no elasticity in my muscles when I'm about to contract them.

This is usually the time in my diet where I panic and start bulking again to get my numbers up, so I never really lose those love handles. :\ Thoughts?

Thanks for the tranquilizer guys :lol

Im all better and im about to throw this damn scale out the window. I never did like the weigh in check..everything makes sense now. Thank you

Barrett2

What is GAF's opinion on the best bicep exercise?

I am a big fan of preacher curls, and have been going on the assumption they are the best pound-for-pound bicep lift you can do. However, at my gym I don't see that many people doing them. I find this strange. Why do so many people only do standing bicep curls, when they are IMO so much less effective at increasing bicep strength? Every time I am at the gym, I see throngs of guys doing little more than throwing out their backs with improper form trying to do standing bicep curls. Are people just ignorant of the most efficient way to increase bicep strength, or am I the crazy one? o_O

Eh, only biceps exercise I do are standing barbell curls. Can handle more weight than any other curls (aside from cheat/power curls, which ARE a legitimate strength/power exercise), in my experience.

BlueTsunami

Standing Bicep curls are good. Try standing a against a wall with the back of your head, ass and feet touching the wall (constantly) throughout the sets. Will help you if you tend to sway your body too much.

I also do Preacher Curls Reverse Preacher Curls (your hands will be pointing down 7 O'Clock on the Left 4 O'Clock on the Right) and also various dumbell curls.

What kind of snacks do you guys eat at night? I think I'm going to lay off the cereal and eat it once a day.

Standing Bicep curls are good. Try standing a against a wall with the back of your head, ass and feet touching the wall (constantly) throughout the sets. Will help you if you tend to sway your body too much

I actually squeeze my upper back together, stick out my chest, and tighten my abs when doing standing barbell curls. It helps prevent swinging, but you're right about leaning against a wall. That'll kill you.

Ever do barbelldumbbell negative curls? Use more weight than you would normally curl and then slowly let it down for ~30 seconds. They make my arms feel like they are going to explode, in a good way.

Edit: Doh

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My bicep routine is (varying depending on day):

- standing bicep curls
- concentration curls
- hammer curls
- inside curls

2 40lbs dumbells, 5 x 10.

Aquavelvaman said:
Ever do barbell negative curls? Use more weight than you would normally curl and then slowly let it down for ~30 seconds. They make my arms feel like they are going to explode, in a good way.

Never done that before, but I had an aquavelva to top off a late night bender and don't remember anything after that. In a good way.

Chichikov

lawblob said:

I am a big fan of preacher curls, and have been going on the assumption they are the best pound-for-pound bicep lift you can do. However, at my gym I don't see that many people doing them. I find this strange. Why do so many people only do standing bicep curls, when they are IMO so much less effective at increasing bicep strength? Every time I am at the gym, I see throngs of guys doing little more than throwing out their backs with improper form trying to do standing bicep curls. Are people just ignorant of the most efficient way to increase bicep strength, or am I the crazy one? o_O
First of all, biceps strength is really not all that important in the grand scheme of things, people mostly train them for aesthetic reasons.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in my opinion, if someone want to target them he should tackle it from that perspective and not with a practical strength approach.

In any case, I think weighted supinated chin-ups are going to target your biceps well enough (while working other, more important muscle groups) but if you're looking at making quick visible gains in your arms, wide grip (as wide as you're comfortable with) barbell curls seem to get great results.

BlueTsunami

I was doing Military presses on a machine and convinced my workout mates to use freeweights instead. Its funny how on the Machine they were doing (supposedly) 160lb+ but when you jump to freeweights they can't even handle 120lb+ :lol . We've all gotten way too used to the machine when it comes to said workout, time to rectify that.

Oh and I can finally do a 3 full set of Dips (for the lower pecks). So awesome

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Don't get too nervous about your weight fluctuating. It's like a chart or a stock.

My BF is in the low teens. Instead of trying to get gain muscle and get back into the low 20's, I want to keep my BF where it is and get down to single digits late fall.

I'm goingto stay below 210, MAYBE 215 depending on how I look/feel at 210, until September.

The 2500, 3500 numbers are the amount of calories I ate the night before. I weight a little more the past week because I just got done loading on creatine. Still, if I panicked because of fluctuations I'd screw everything up.

May 2 - 204.0 2500
May 1 - 206.8 3500
April 30 - 204.6 2500
April 29 - 207.0 3500
April 28 - 206.4 2500
April 27 - 207.0 3500
April 26 - 207.6 2500
April 25 - 206.8 3500
April 24 - 205.8 2500
April 23 - 203.0 3500
April 22 - 201.4 2500

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
BlueTsunami said:
I was doing Military presses on a machine and convinced my workout mates to use freeweights instead. Its funny how on the Machine they were doing (supposedly) 160lb+ but when you jump to freeweights they can't even handle 120lb+ :lol . We've all gotten way too used to the machine when it comes to said workout, time to rectify that.

Yeah, for me, Dumbells >>>>>> bars/machines.

(except for of course dead lifts/squats/etc.)

Mr. Snrub said:
ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS ON SQUATTING FORM, LOOK HERE: http://www.strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334

It is a compilation of form check videos that user's on Mark Rippetoe's forum posted, and his comments for them. Lots of info on here for what a good squat looks like vs a bad squat. Could add this to the OP, Glanton.

Now I may be way out of line here as Rippetoe seems to be god in this thread and most forums, but his definition of 'parallel' on a squat is not actually parallel. He talks about hip joint below the Patella, but that is beyond parallel. Checking the videos without being able to accurately mark hip joint placement it is hard to judge, but any time he acknowledges 'parallel' the guys are squatting WELL below parallel. Am I just judging parallel as bone angle to the earth and parallel in powerlifting terms is defined differently?

BigGreenMat said:
Now I may be way out of line here as Rippetoe seems to be god in this thread and most forums, but his definition of 'parallel' on a squat is not actually parallel. He talks about hip joint below the Patella, but that is beyond parallel. Checking the videos without being able to accurately mark hip joint placement it is hard to judge, but any time he acknowledges 'parallel' the guys are squatting WELL below parallel. Am I just judging parallel as bone angle to the earth and parallel in powerlifting terms is defined differently?

Umm...not sure what you're talking about. When the hip joint (where the femur connects to the pelvis) passes at or below the knee joint, it's parallel. Obviously, going beyond parallel is better than not reaching it. This sounds exactly what he's describing to me.

Mr.City

This is so frustrating. Sometimes it seems like the weight I'm using isn't enough (meaning I can do ten or more reps with it), but I up the weight I have trouble keeping form. Does anyone else run into this problem?

Mr. Snrub said:
Umm...not sure what you're talking about. When the hip joint (where the femur connects to the pelvis) passes at or below the knee joint, it's parallel. Obviously, going beyond parallel is better than not reaching it. This sounds exactly what he's describing to me.

Well when we are talking parallel we are talking the femur. For the hip joint to be below the knee joint is not parallel to the earth it is beyond parallel. It can't be anything but.

I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. If you squat low enough, EVENTUALLY the knee joint is going to be horizontally aligned with the hip joint. The femur is not perfectly straight and you can't really judge parallel by a bone that is hidden by muscle, fat, and skin.

Chichikov

BigGreenMat said:
The common powerlifiting definition of a legal depth is having the top surface of the leg at the hip joint lower than the top of the knee.

But regardless of definitions, I believe that for most people it's beneficial to try to squat as deep as they can while keeping a good form.

lawblob said:

I do standing barbell curls. I think that it's okay to let your upper body sway a little, if you're using a lot of weight. I weigh 215 and I might do 155 on curls--of course I'm going to sway unless I'm just absolutely screwed to the ground. Just make sure only your biceps are causing the weight to move, and don't move your back relative to your hips [but it's okay for both of them to move a little together, if that makes sense].

BlueTsunami said:

Congrats. Dips are awesome.

I have some good new for people starting out with HIIT. It gets a LOT better the second time. Still hurts, but you're not incapacitated and incapable of coherent thought for a shorter period of time.

Is it better to eat your last meal of the day, and then work out, or should I work out first, and then eat my last meal of the day? I feel like when I eat and then work out, I am using the food I just ate, so it won't stick on me. Thanks!

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Is it better to eat your last meal of the day, and then work out, or should I work out first, and then eat my last meal of the day? I feel like when I eat and then work out, I am using the food I just ate, so it won't stick on me. Thanks!
Heavy exercise is bad for your digestion and besides, your body will still be running on food you ate yesterday (It takes time for the food to reach your lower intestine - where all the nutrients are absorbed into your body) while you're doing it.

You should work out on an empty stomach, then eat.

Heavy exercise is bad for your digestion and besides, your body will still be running on food you ate yesterday (It takes time for the food to reach your lower intestine - where all the nutrients are absorbed into your body) while you're doing it.

You should work out on an empty stomach, then eat.

Cool, thanks!

BlueTsunami

Mr.City said:
This is so frustrating. Sometimes it seems like the weight I'm using isn't enough (meaning I can do ten or more reps with it), but I up the weight I have trouble keeping form. Does anyone else run into this problem?

How much are you upping the weight by? I usually do it by 10lb or even 5lb (for dumbells). Try to increase your weight, even if its a little bit.

Mr.City

BlueTsunami said:
How much are you upping the weight by? I usually do it by 10lb or even 5lb (for dumbells). Try to increase your weight, even if its a little bit.

By 10 to 5 lbs depending on the exercise

BlueTsunami

Mr.City said:

Thats weird then. I guess its normal if your hitting your total maximum but its important to just push it out no matter what. I usually do, say, Bench Dumbell Presses and I do my max on my last set to the point where I can only reach 7 reps till my are arms wilt on the pushup like a dehydrated flower.

Jirotrom

week 2 of my return to excercise is complete... I already feel much stronger and have built my endurance up a bit by playing racquetball as well:D

Mr.City said:

Just FYI...I'm only increasing exercises like the squat 2.5 pounds a week. If you've been lifting for a while, you can't consistently increase by 5 or more pounds a week/workout. That's tough shit, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom