• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.City

I'm pathetic. I couldn't last 10 seconds on a suspended push up or inverted row. But goddamn do I feel it in my upper back.

Straightballin said:
Ive been trying to get a new program starting but dont know what exactly to do.

I am an intermediate lifter, can go to the gym 3-4 days a week and really want to tone and gain size. Trying to become more cut have some body fat one me.

I found this program http://www.global-fitness.com/strength/print_programs.html?style=BB&dpw=4&phase=3

Can't see that program, have to log in. By intermediate, what do you mean? What are your lifts on the bench, deadlift, and squat, and what's your weight?

Chichikov

Matix said:
So yea, I've been browsing this thread for awhile now, but haven't really taken it seriously since its associated with a gaming forum (flame on folks). Although I gotta admit, I've been pretty impressed by the consistency of the posters here and how many of them have been more than willing to help out a fellow health conscious gamer. With that being said, I propose a challenge to the fitness gurus of this topic.

Since the beginning of this year, I've attempted to seriously focus on getting in to shape (something that I've "attempted" to do for years now). Its been somewhat difficult since I do attend college, work 40hrs a week, live on my own and still try to find time for a social life (can't forget gaming as well). Luckily I have the convenience of a fitness room on the 1st floor of my apartment complex, that I attempt to utilize 3-5 days a week. The workout area is somewhat weak, with only a few cardio machines and worn down weight setups. Even with the minuscule fitness equipment, I still get in a average routine. I spend about 15 minutes doing 1-2 miles on the treadmill, and put the rest of my time doing weights for about another 15 minutes (doing 3-5 reps of 70-100lbs on my upper body). An added bonus is since I do live in the downtown area of a major city, I pretty much use public transportation or walk to my destination (work, school, stores, etc..) on a daily basis. Oh and this might not count for much, but instead of using my apartment elevator, I normally walk to my floor (even though I only live on the 5th level of a 22 story complex).

Now when it comes to diets, I'm a little bit more shaky. I have cut bread, soda and heavy sweets in general from meals. I also drink plenty of water mostly when ever I'm thirsty, with the occasional beer socially. But beyond these few improvements, I'm a total glutton when it comes to almost everything else. Even though I cook at home (instead of eaten out most of the time), I sadly overcook for myself alone. Also since I live on a budget, I normally buy whatever is cheap and eatable. So that means large pots of a lot of starchy meals (using pasta and rice mainly).

Regardless, my goal was to lose about 25+ pounds, flatten my stomach and obliterate these damn love handles (while gaining muscle in my upper-body). But from January up until now (about 5 months total), I haven't seen much of a difference. And even with the few noticeable improvements, the time taken to achieve them has been dreadfully slow. So heres the deal folks, I'm looking for some useful advice that might put me on the right track. But before you brush this off with cliche replies, check out what your working with first.

Height - 6'7"
Weight - 275lbs
Chest - 50inches
Waist - 40inches

So obviously I'm a big fella, which means ya might have to approach my situation a bit differently (good luck).
I'll start with your diet, at first, don't worry about how much your eat but how well you eat.
It's surprisingly hard to be a "total glutton" on good food.
Unfortunately eating well require money or time and effort, I suggest you do the latter. Sorry, no magic tricks here, you need to make a concentrated effort to cook good food.

As for your training program, you don't really do cardio now, you do a warm up, warm up is good, warm up is important, but it's not going to get you thin.
I suggest you split you routine, 3 days strength, 2 days cardio (or vice versa).
For cardio you just need to do more, either make it a 40-60 minutes constant effort (think 7 out 10, 10 being redlining) or some sort of interval routine.
As for strength, can you specify exactly what machine/weights/equipment you have in your gym?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Well, for the gurus in this thread, fitness is Serious Business. Just try to think of it as level grinding in real life.

Would be absolutely awesome if tracking certain Nutrients, Weight Gains (Muscle Mass), Endurance and stuff could all be applied to a software program thats geared to the Video Game enthusiasts :D :D :D

I'm sure it can be done

Also, I used my Gymboss for the first time today (Interval Timer, only $20). Great gadget for HIIT training, highly recommended.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BlueTsunami said:
Would be absolutely awesome if tracking certain Nutrients, Weight Gains (Muscle Mass), Endurance and stuff could all be applied to a software program thats geared to the Video Game enthusiasts :D :D :D

i honestly think often about this, actually. a system that could track on the fly your personal fitness/food intake statistics would be a hugely beneficial tool for basic health, though i have no idea how such a thing would function

beelzebozo said:
just when i start to feel sorry for some of the people that pop in occasionally, ask a silly question, and get jumped, they say something not only silly but really really stupid.

Actually, my favorite thing about the thread might be that it's entirely self-moderated. I'd be surprised if mods were even coming in here [looks around for 'banning of disproof']. Except maybe for the GFW Radio threads, it might be the only 'big' thread on the whole site like that.

Matix, you're getting good advice from Chichikov and RSTEIN. Think about what you really want to get from this, why you haven't gotten that in the past, and what you're willing to do now to get it right. You've started on the right foot, but you have a ways to go. The first step is to ask yourself how much time and money you're willing to devote to changing your diet and getting access to better facilities. I've seen apartment gyms and you need something more serious.

Matix

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Well, for the gurus in this thread, fitness is Serious Business. Just try to think of it as level grinding in real life.

Heh, yea I think I'm learning this the hard way ;)

Mr. Snrub said:
Honestly, I wouldn't approach it differently at all, so I'll tell you what we've been telling most beginners: you need to work your legs and train with free weights. Machines won't cut it.

If you want the cheapest route possible for great information, read all of Mad Cow's site: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/index.htm.

You'll notice he recommends Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book (http://www.basicbarbelltraining.com/). This is one of the best beginning routines for a path to strength, size, and all around fitness. It emphasizes squatting three days a week, drinking a gallon of milk a day, and each workout is a full body workout.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

RSTEIN said:
Hmm. This is probably one of the best fitness threads on the net.

He's seen the light! :D

Houston, we have a problem. Before you proceed, you really need to ask yourself "why do I consistently fail to reach my fitness goals?" Do you go for fad diets? Do you hit the gym hard only to lose motivation shortly after? This is key. Know thyself.

LAME LAME LAME excuses. Everyone in this thread has a busy life. Everyone has school, hobies, families, etc. You just can't accept excuses. If you want to lose weight/get fit you're going to have to FIND the time or SACRIFICE something.

Awesome. All you need is a treadmill/eliptical and dumbells.

This is not an average routine. This is a weaksauce routine (sorry for being harsh). You need to spend more like 30-45 minutes on the treadmill. In my opinion (others may differ) you shouldn't bother doing cardio for 15/weights for 15. Go all out on either. One day hit cardio real hard. The next day hit the weights real hard. If you split them up in one session you're going to be doing each half assed, especially given your goal of weight loss. The bottom line is you're not going to lose the weight you want to lose by doing 15 mins of cardio 3 days a week.

Sorry, these all have to go :D Switch to whole grain bread, water (NOT JUICE) and no sweets. You shouldn't be putting this junk into your body - it doesn't matter whether or not you're on a "diet."

Carbs aren't bad. They're essential. However, given your level of activity you're probably eating way too many carbs... which aren't being used but stored. Try to eat your carbs in and around your workouts (especially your weight routine). Rice isn't bad either. Switch a couple of pasta nights to some nice lean chicken or fish. A chicken takes the same time to cook.

Again, sorry to be harsh, but you haven't seen any improvements because you're just not doing enough. A) 1-2 miles/15 minutes isn't enough. You're not making a dent in anything. It's almost useless. B) Your consuming way too many carbs/calories.

The good news is you CAN lose the weight you want.
1) Really think about what you want and why your previous "attempts" have failed. Are you ready to change your lifestyle? REALLY ready? As in no turning back?
2) Develop a proper exercise/weight schedule. First thing I would do is bump that treadmill time to 45 minutes. If you can't do that, do 20 minutes treadmill and 20 minutes elliptical. 20 minutes on the eliptical and you should burn 300 calories easy. A lot of people here can help you with this more than I can.
3) Develop a proper "diet." When I say diet I mean just a clean, healthy lifestyle. No white shit, processed shit or sugar. Get some grains, protein, good carbs. Mmmmmm, does a body good.

Chichikov said:
I'll start with your diet, at first, don't worry about how much your eat but how well you eat.
It's surprisingly hard to be a "total glutton" on good food.
Unfortunately eating well require money or time and effort, I suggest you do the latter. Sorry, no magic tricks here, you need to make a concentrated effort to cook good food.

As for your training program, you don't really do cardio now, you do a warm up, warm up is good, warm up is important, but it's not going to get you thin.
I suggest you split you routine, 3 days strength, 2 days cardio (or vice versa).
For cardio you just need to do more, either make it a 40-60 minutes constant effort (think 7 out 10, 10 being redlining) or some sort of interval routine.
As for strength, can you specify exactly what machine/weights/equipment you have in your gym?

Awesome, fucking awesome. Thx for insightful tips. Heres a few more question you all might can help me with.

Calorie Intake
I'm assuming because of my size, and considering I'm working on losing weight, 2000-2200 calories taken in daily would be sufficient?

Calories Burn (During Workout)
As of now I'm killing off about 250-300 calories during my normal 30 minute routine (which does seem pretty weak). How far should I step this up?

Diet Supplements
I've been totally against this in the past, but recently I've read about various positive outcomes with the use of these products (including in this forum). So what would you folks suggest?

Healthy Filler/Snack Foods
One of my shittiest habits is to indulge in full meals, even though normally I'm not that hungry. What type of healthy food would be adequate to carve that snacking appetite (maybe peanuts)?

Home Workout Equipment
Since I live in small studio apartment, what decent fitness equipment would be right for this small amount of space?

Vanish

do you guys think doing dips alone will help to significantly power up my triceps? ive tried other tricep excercises but i hate them all, maybe its just me or im doing them wrong, but they all feel really uncomfortable. also, what do you use to tie weights to yourself to do weighted dips?

does this look like a good product: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2615315&cp=2665513

and yeah, this is definitely a great topic, all you guys have been incredibly helpful, thanks

Matix said:
Awesome, fucking awesome. Thx for insightful tips. Heres a few more question you all might can help me with.

Calorie Intake
I'm assuming because of my size, and considering I'm working on losing weight, 2000-2200 calories taken in daily would be sufficient?
No. That's not enough calories. I know guys who are probably just over 200 lbs who eat 3000 lean calories a day. There's a calorie-calculator on t-nation; I will try to look for it if I think of it.
As of now I'm killing off about 250-300 calories during my normal 30 minute routine (which does seem pretty weak). How far should I step this up?
Half an hour of intense cardio or an hour of weighlifting is probably a good target to aim for.

Diet Supplements
I've been totally against this in the past, but recently I've read about various positive outcomes with the use of these products (including in this forum). So what would you folks suggest?
Check the OP. I think that whey protein and creatine are your must-haves to start with, plus something for your joints, gluocosamine or fish oil, or both.

Healthy Filler/Snack Foods
One of my shittiest habits is to indulge in full meals, even though normally I'm not that hungry. What type of healthy food would be adequate to carve that snacking appetite (maybe peanuts)?
Natural peanut butter can be good, but unless you're killing yourself in the workouts, a little goes a long way. Try raw broccoli, carrots, lettuce, whey protein shakes, plain lettuce, water. And more water.

Home Workout Equipment
Since I live in small studio apartment, what decent fitness equipment would be right for this small amount of space?
Frankly? A gym membership at the most basic place you can find. Look for a gym with a bunch of free weights and some fans running; stay away from the ones with new machines and signs for aerobics classes on every possible surface. Here's a quote from another forum, when a guy knew he'd found his new gym:

"There was no air conditioning. There was an open window with a sign next to it that said, 'Don't open the fucking window.'"

Vanish said:
do you guys think doing dips alone will help to significantly power up my triceps? ive tried other tricep excercises but i hate them all, maybe its just me or im doing them wrong, but they all feel really uncomfortable. also, what do you use to tie weights to yourself to do weighted dips?

does this look like a good product: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2615315&cp=2665513

and yeah, this is definitely a great topic, all you guys have been incredibly helpful, thanks
You can do much better than GNC's store brand. I use Biotest, but it's pricey. Try Extend.

To do weighted dips: Your gym should have a belt with a big chain attached to the buckles. Get a plate or dumbbell, wrap or loop the chain as appropriate, and do the dips with it tangling between your legs. MAKE SURE TO USE YOUR LEGS TO HOLD THE WEIGHT IN PLACE. ALSO BE SURE TO AVOID CLIPPING OR PINCHING THE SKIN ON YOUR THIGHS.

Weighted dips are all I do for triceps, except for my presses.

How do I get those above the crotch muscles so I too can marry Scarlett Johansson? :lol

like so

ryan_reynolds_97.jpg

BlueTsunami

bafflewaffle said:
How do I get those above the crotch muscles so I too can marry Scarlett Johansson? :lol

like so

ryan_reynolds_97.jpg

Lots and lots of cardio involving thrusting and bunker busting. GOD I want that body

BlueTsunami

Not to spit on a flawless body but the seemingly lack of lats makes him look a little too skinny muscular but I would think thats what he was going for.

Chichikov said:
1. You piss someone who can squat 600lbs by posting stupid shit in his thread.
2. ?????
3. When the doctors rebuild you, ask for some better abs.
Its not stupid shit, it was a sincere question. My above the crotch area is flabby. :(

I_D

bafflewaffle said:

like so

ryan_reynolds_97.jpg

A hell of a lot of cardio and crunches + oblique workouts.

Also...... just to take away a hint of his steam (though he is rather handsome)..... his neck is pathetically frail and doesn't match the rest of his body.

BlueTsunami said:
Not to spit on a flawless body but the seemingly lack of lats makes him look a little too skinny muscular but I would think thats what he was going for.
Am I the only one who notices how his head looks freakishly large, because he's so incredibly scrawny?

Also,
:(
Plus, I overhead pressed [seated] 225 X 15 on Thursday, and I did Ninja Warrior pullups with 60lbs X 8. Then I helped a one-armed friend of mine move the next day :(

BlueTsunami

bafflewaffle said:
??? I'm getting bad search results, please explain.

:lol

I'm sorry dude but I was just joking with that post but a serious answer is to be found in Immortal_Daemon's post. Its mainly his body fat and the fact that he doesn't seem to have any. Mix in a traditional Weightlifting routine and wholla! Super hot body.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
bafflewaffle said:
Its not stupid shit, it was a sincere question. My above the crotch area is flabby. :(

LOL this reminds me of some show (i think Diary) that followed Usher and a session with his trainer. And he did a big ol heap of scissor kicks and when he got up he displayed a lil of the crotch muscle and said "thats how you get this baby. if you don't have this, you aint nothin" or somethin along those lines.

BlueTsunami said:
:lol

I'm sorry dude but I was just joking with that post but a serious answer is to be found in Immortal_Daemon's post. Its mainly his body fat and the fact that he doesn't seem to have any. Mix in a traditional Weightlifting routine and wholla! Super hot body.
Good joke. :lol Well it was convincing. It sounded like one of those military boot camp exercises.

Sol.. said:
LOL this reminds me of some show (i think Diary) that followed Usher and a session with his trainer. And he did a big ol heap of scissor kicks and when he got up he displayed a lil of the crotch muscle and said "thats how you get this baby. if you don't have this, you aint nothin" or somethin along those lines.

I remember that. He had a colonic done as well.

Jirotrom

Sol.. said:
man i remember that... that was years ago... I used to have the V:(

Lobster

Banned
Tricep Dips using one of those balance boards is pretty dam awesome. I gotta buy me one of those.

What do you guys think of ankle weights?

yay or nay?

Boogie

Matix said:
Um, yea. I mean this is part of the Gaming-Age forums right? Sorry I haven't been searching GAF before for fitness tips.

This is the OT. Clearly you don't spend much time here if your bias was that GAF is useless for anything not related to gaming.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Matix said:
Calorie Intake

Calories are a funny thing.

Right now your body is this:
honda-civic-5d_01.jpg

Like this Honda, your body doesn't need a whole lot of fuel. You don't have a lot of horsepower. Your engine doesn't hit 8,000 RPM.

This is what you want your body to become:
RC-Toys-1-7-R-C-Ferrari-Enzo-Lisenced-8302-.jpg

Ah, a Ferrari Enzo. Needs A LOT of fuel, oil changes, brake changes, tire changes, etc. Why? Because it's a high performance automobile.

So, here's where people get confused about calories and carbs. They think "OK, I'm going to get fit, so let's drop the calories." No. In fact, THE OPPOSITE IS NEEDED! If you're going to work your body - really work your body - your caloric intake and carb intake needs to go higher. For example, Lou Ferringo, at his physical peak, was consuming 10,000 calories a day. TEN THOUSAND!

Now, like that Ferrari, you can't put any old shit into your body. You need high performance stuff. Grains, whole wheat, protein, creatine, casein, calcium, vitamins, etc. Would you put regular gasoline into your Ferrari? Similarly, why would you put sugar or white bread in your body???

Don't get caught up with numbers (within reason). Stick to food that is going to be absorbed and used by your body. The essential building blocks and good stuff that your body really, really needs. Treat your body like the Ferrari, not the Honda.

300 calories a day is not a good target. You need to double this, at least. 40 minutes on an elliptical should give you 600 calories at least. 20 minutes running + 20 minutes elliptical will give you >600 calories burned no problem.

Home Workout Equipment

Well you got your cardio set up at your gym. I would get some dumbells. Start with two 20lbs. Go to http://www.bodybuilding.com and get some exercises. Ease into it. Do an hour straight. Start with various body parts. When you get more comfortable, break up your weak to target specific body parts every day. Slowly increase the weight, etc. etc. I mean, this is longer term, we can talk more about this down the road.

Yogi_bear

Quick question guys. On Day 2 workout which is Back/Legs, I've seen to hit a problem with my Romanian Deadlift. I usually start with a 6 set combination of weighted Pullups(1 warm up with no weight, 3 sets with weight) and Chin Ups( 3 set with weight) and I usually do a two exercise set, meaning I do the Pull ups/Chin Ups and move to Squat with only about 15-20 secs rest and then take a 1 min rest and repeat.

Anyways, here's the problem, My next lift is the deadlift and I'm finding that my grip/forearms are too fatigued after the pull ups to hold the weight. Before it wasn't a problem because I was new to the deadlift exercise, so I started with light weights to get my form correct. Now that I'm moving into heavier weights, my grip/forearms cannot hold up(mainly my fingers start to give out). My hamstrings can handle the heavier weight no problem, it's that my grip usually gives out before I can get to 4 reps even.

I've tried doing Farmers Walk to build up my grip/forearms but they're still holding me back. Are there wraps that I can use to ease up on the strain on my fingers/forearms? Any recommendations? I was doing the deadlift last night and I found myself focusing more on my fingers/grip than proper form which is never a good thing so I figured it's time to look into something to help out. Thanks guys,

Barrett2

Well GAF, I think I just discovered the meal of the gods. Normally after workouts and the morning after workouts I would simply mix my whey powder and occasionally creatine with nothing more than water and soy milk.

Two weeks ago I decided I needed to spice it up and I pulled out the blender. I began blending: 1.5 scoops of whey powder, 2 cups of soy milk, 1 cup of ice, 2 tablespoons of chocolate drink powder, 2 bananas, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and sometimes creatine.

This drink is doing wonders for me, I can't believe I haven't thought of this sooner. I find the main problem I have is actually forcing myself to get as many calories as I need in a day. Drinking my 'mega shake' twice a day is proving to be much easier than forcing myself to eat a ton of chicken, eggs, etc. Anybody have other recommendations as to what I should include in my post-workout & morning drink? Since I am lactose intolerant and can only drink soy milk, I want to make sure I am getting everything I need.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Question

How many sets you should do for each body part. I'm trying to make my own workout plan for the first time.

Big muscles
Chest
Back
Quads/hams

Small Muscles
Bi/Tri
Calfs
Shoulders

Chichikov

Yogi_bear said:
Anyways, here's the problem, My next lift is the deadlift and I'm finding that my grip/forearms are too fatigued after the pull ups to hold the weight. Before it wasn't a problem because I was new to the deadlift exercise, so I started with light weights to get my form correct. Now that I'm moving into heavier weights, my grip/forearms cannot hold up(mainly my fingers start to give out). My hamstrings can handle the heavier weight no problem, it's that my grip usually gives out before I can get to 4 reps even.

I've tried doing Farmers Walk to build up my grip/forearms but they're still holding me back. Are there wraps that I can use to ease up on the strain on my fingers/forearms? Any recommendations? I was doing the deadlift last night and I found myself focusing more on my fingers/grip than proper form which is never a good thing so I figured it's time to look into something to help out. Thanks guys,
First of all, I would definitely do the deadlifts before the pull/chin ups, not so much because of the grip but more because of the fact that bad form due to fatigue in the deadlift is much more problematic than form problems in the pull ups (and while we're at it, I would consider not doing both pull ups and chin ups at the same day, concentrate on one, mostly pulls ups and try to do more weight/repetitions).

As for your grip problem, are you using a mixed grip (one hand supinated one hand pronated)?
If not, start doing it on the heavy set (you probably want to stay with pronated grip on your warm up sets to strengthen your grip).
If you're already doing it, yeah, straps may help, I personally don't like them that much, but if you're using gloves consider losing them.
Other than that, farmer walks should get most people's grip to the point where it's not the limiting factor in the deadlift pretty fast.

EDIT:
wait, are we talking about Romanian deadlifts? if so, ignore what I just said about mixed grip, it is not advisable.

lil smoke said:
Just a simple question: Is bacon ok to eat after working out? Along with eggs, oatmeal or potatoes, and a shake.
Fake bacon isn't terrible every once so often. But after every workout? I don't think so.

Qwerty710710 said:
Question

How many sets you should do for each body part. I'm trying to make my own workout plan for the first time.

Big muscles
Chest
Back
Quads/hams

Small Muscles
Bi/Tri
Calfs
Shoulders
How long have you been workout out, and what kind of shape would you say you're in? What kind of split will you be using, that is, how many times per week will you be doing each bodypart, and how will you be scheduling them? And what kind of bodytype would you say you have, that is, pudgy, tall and lean, athletic, short and squat?

Yogi_bear

Chichikov said:
First of all, I would definitely do the deadlifts before the pull/chin ups, not so much because of the grip but more because of the fact that bad form due to fatigue in the deadlift is much more problematic than form problems in the pull ups (and while we're at it, I would consider not doing both pull ups and chin ups at the same day, concentrate on one, mostly pulls ups and try to do more weight/repetitions).

As for your grip problem, are you using a mixed grip (one hand supinated one hand pronated)?
If not, start doing it on the heavy set (you probably want to stay with pronated grip on your warm up sets to strengthen your grip).
If you're already doing it, yeah, straps may help, I personally don't like them that much, but if you're using gloves consider losing them.
Other than that, farmer walks should get most people's grip to the point where it's not the limiting factor in the deadlift pretty fast.

EDIT:
wait, are we talking about Romanian deadlifts? if so, ignore what I just said about mixed grip, it is not advisable.

Yes, Romanian deadlifts. I'm going to shuffle up the order of my lifts and do the Romanian deadlift first and see if that helps before I get straps. So you'd suggest not using gloves for the deadlifts? Haven't tried that before, might do it next time. Thanks

Yogi_bear said:
Yes, Romanian deadlifts. I'm going to shuffle up the order of my lifts and do the Romanian deadlift first and see if that helps before I get straps. So you'd suggest not using gloves for the deadlifts? Haven't tried that before, might do it next time. Thanks
Have you tried lifting chalk?

Yogi_bear

Captain Glanton said:
Have you tried lifting chalk?

I did at my old gym, but that was a while ago( My new gym is a 24 fitness, they lack a lot of the core weight lifting accessories such as weigh belts, chalk, etc....) I might pick some up and try that with the no gloves and see how I hold up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yogi_bear said:
I did at my old gym, but that was a while ago( My new gym is a 24 fitness, they lack a lot of the core weight lifting accessories such as weigh belts, chalk, etc....) I might pick some up and try that with the no gloves and see how I hold up. Thanks for the suggestions.
Chalk will tear up your hands, but you'll be able to hold onto the bar much, much easier.

yacobod

Banned
for traditional deadlifts, just stopping and regripping works, and the plus side is you will actually be doing proper deadlifts

Yogi_bear said:
I just saw this. That sounds so sad :(

yacobod said:
for traditional deadlifts, just stopping and regripping works, and the plus side is you will actually be doing proper deadlifts

Yeah, but in any sets more than 3 reps, your grip will probably start to gather a decent amount of moisture by rep 4. Rep 5 is nigh impossible with heavy weight.

Yogi_bear said:

Ditch the gloves. They end up just getting in the way and add another layer, which will NOT help you grip. Get some chalk or liquid chalk (easier to sneak/hide into shitty gyms).

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
Fake bacon isn't terrible every once so often. But after every workout? I don't think so.

How long have you been workout out, and what kind of shape would you say you're in? What kind of split will you be using, that is, how many times per week will you be doing each bodypart, and how will you be scheduling them? And what kind of bodytype would you say you have, that is, pudgy, tall and lean, athletic, short and squat?

Almost a year but I felt I haven't made too much progress though. I want to workout my chest/triceps on tuseday, shoulders wednesday, legs friday, bis/back on saturday.

this is what I tried today

Bench press 4x10,8,8,6
Incline DB press 3x10,8,8
Dips 3xfailure

Skullcrushers 2x10
overhead dumbell 2x10
closed gripBP 2x10

I couldn't do it all because I got tired, maybe because I took a week off. I hope I could fullfill all of that next week.

Mr. Snrub said:
Ditch the gloves. They end up just getting in the way and add another layer, which will NOT help you grip. Get some chalk or liquid chalk (easier to sneak/hide into shitty gyms).
And by "shitty" he means "has fancy equipment and lots of kickboxing-aerobics classes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom