• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.City

After the incident with the squats today, I felt so bummed that I left without finishing my workout. God, I'm so antsy now. Screw it, I'm going back to finish the fight.

Slo

Attention newbie lifters: Please do me a big favor. If, against your will and your very best efforts, you accidentally build muscle at such a phenomenal rate that your clothes explode off of your body while you sleep and you awake looking like a race horse capable of walking on it's hind legs, please please record your diet and workout routine in the previous 24 hours and post it to the Internet before you succumb to despair and commit ritualistic suicide.

No doubt, we've all lost friends and family members to such a fate, but surprisingly little has been done to educate the public and prevent future occurrences. If we work together, we can isolate the root cause and stamp it out.

Thanks.

yacobod

Banned
ya that's my favorite

"i dont really want to start lifting weights, cause i dont want to get too big"

only if it were that easy, nobody is going to be walking around like super mariusz after a few months of lifting

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Slo said:
Attention newbie lifters: Please do me a big favor. If, against your will and your very best efforts, you accidentally build muscle at such a phenomenal rate that your clothes explode off of your body while you sleep and you awake looking like a race horse capable of walking on it's hind legs, please please record your diet and workout routine in the previous 24 hours and post it to the Internet before you succumb to despair and commit ritualistic suicide.

No doubt, we've all lost friends and family members to such a fate, but surprisingly little has been done to educate the public and prevent future occurrences. If we work together, we can isolate the root cause and stamp it out.

Thanks.

wat?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Speaking of clothes, the most annoying thing with my weight loss is my suits. I wear one everday for work... I used to be a size 34. I'm not sure what I am now but my pants fall off if I don't wear a belt. I'm on the very last whole of my belt as it is. What really sucks is these are all Zegna suits at over $1,000 a pop. I'm gonna have to get them taken in but I'm worried that they'll butcher them.

Chichikov

Slo said:

Thanks.
Awesome.
:lol

Slo said:

Thanks.
:lol :lol

Every single girl I know insists that she gains muscle at an astonishing rate and that the only way she can get fit is to do steady state cardio and do a diet of fasting and cold cereal.

RSTEIN, I bought a new suit this spring. I was an 18 neck, 48 chest, and 34 waist. They had to make a lot of alterations.

And finally, I did some back squats today. I started at 135 and worked my way up. At 365 I had some real pain, so I did stopped at 2 and went home. Small victories!

Edit: I got some free Xtend, a postworkout mix, from a friend of mine for helping him move. I wish that I could come on here and give a great recommendation, but that shit is foul. Stay away.

Mr.City

How do I conquer my fear of shoulder presses? I'm afraid that my shoulder will lock up or my arms will give out and the weights will come down on me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Captain Glanton said:
Every single girl I know insists that she gains muscle at an astonishing rate and that the only way she can get fit is to do steady state cardio and do a diet of fasting and cold cereal.

give her ol' beelzebozo's number please.

Slo

Mr.City said:
How do I conquer my fear of shoulder presses? I'm afraid that my shoulder will lock up or my arms will give out and the weights will come down on me.

Do them in front of your head. If you can't lock it up, lower it to your chest.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I gain muscles easily considering I don't work out a lot. If I get a cellphone I'll post a pic eventually.

I doubt it's my diet tho, I just never eat crap food nor drink any protein shakes or anything like that.

mr stroke

BigGreenMat said:
there is some stuff where wraps help you achieve what you are trying to do with a lift rather than simply making it a very complex grip workout.

Hmm, interesting point there. Maybe I should give the straps a try? I can't get past my deadlift max(235 lbs) becuase of my grip. I still feel like I can lift more, but my hands just can't hold anymore weight.

mr stroke said:
Hmm, interesting point there. Maybe I should give the straps a try? I can't get past my deadlift max(235 lbs) becuase of my grip. I still feel like I can lift more, but my hands just can't hold anymore weight.
Did you read the OP's description of deadlifting grip? That's how I do it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Another session of HIIT. GOD I WANT TO DIE

If you want to test your will, do HIIT. After a couple of Sprinting intervals, your body is screaming at you to stop but you have to push yourself.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
BlueTsunami said:
Another session of HIIT. GOD I WANT TO DIE

If you want to test your will, do HIIT. After a couple of Sprinting intervals, your body is screaming at you to stop but you have to push yourself.

Nother word of advice.

Be hydrated before doing HIIT. I just learned the hardway not three hours ago. I was powered by like four glasses of water over the course of 24 hours. After four minutes of powering through two filghts of stairs with 20 pounds stuffed in my coat pocket.. I got so dry so quickly that it was literally painful to breathe and i could taste blood. It was the weirdest thing. I just couldn't make it to 5 minutes. But tomarrow i'll try again after downing at least a gallon throughout the day.

BlueTsunami

Had the same issue (not as serious though). Was very dehydrated after the HIIT session and I still am. Definitely need to drink a little more than I usually do before HIIT.

Boogie

BlueTsunami said:
Had the same issue (not as serious though). Was very dehydrated after the HIIT session and I still am. Definitely need to drink a little more than I usually do before HIIT.

Hydration is absolutely key for any cardio.

When I was training MMA with Team Tompkins in the summers, I would drink 2 litres of water over the course of a two-hour training session, and still have lost almost 5 lbs of water weight.

The only way I survived was to hydrate myself throughout the day before training.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Captain Glanton said:
RSTEIN, I bought a new suit this spring. I was an 18 neck, 48 chest, and 34 waist. They had to make a lot of alterations.

You're a freak of nature :lol

Slo said:
Do them in front of your head. If you can't lock it up, lower it to your chest.

Now, if you and Glanton are suggesting he don't do behind-the-neck presses, that's fine. But the bar in overhead presses should ALWAYS end up directly over your head or the rear of your head. This puts it in the strongest bar path for moving the weight overhead. Once the bar passes the level of your forehead, you move your body forward under the bar. Not getting under the bar is actually worse for your shoulder.

Check this link out: http://www.startingstrength.com/files/preview/159.pdf

Jirotrom

beelzebozo said:
i talked to a dude at the gym today who not only comes on his lunch break, but goes to the ymca after he gets off work for two-and-a-half hours to work out again. yikes.
I used to do that... I used to workout 5 days a week 1 hour in the morning on weights and about 2.5 to 3 hours cardio in the afternoons.

BlueTsunami

Mr. Snrub said:
Now, if you and Glanton are suggesting he don't do behind-the-neck presses, that's fine. But the bar in overhead presses should ALWAYS end up directly over your head or the rear of your head. This puts it in the strongest bar path for moving the weight overhead. Once the bar passes the level of your forehead, you move your body forward under the bar. Not getting under the bar is actually worse for your shoulder.

Check this link out: http://www.startingstrength.com/files/preview/159.pdf

Definitely agree here. I started doing Presses with free weights recently and had a tendency to keep my head back when both in the prone position and all the way up. My Rotator cuff felt like it was being taxed after one set and thought about not doing it again. I natuarlly started moving my head and chest forward on the bar was up over my head. Feel much better.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Any gyms around the Portland metro area not named 24 Hour Fitness? They want $140 up front and $35/mo for a membership. That's just fucking ridiculous.

Right now I am just working out at home, but I need more equipment sooner rather than later.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jirotrom said:
I used to do that... I used to workout 5 days a week 1 hour in the morning on weights and about 2.5 to 3 hours cardio in the afternoons.

at that point, i feel like you have almost no time for a life. or am i just nuts? i guess if you just genuinely enjoy working out, i could see it, but for most who view it as a double-edged love/hate utilitarian thing, 4 hours a day of working out is just nutty.

Slo

reilo said:
Any gyms around the Portland metro area not named 24 Hour Fitness? They want $140 up front and $35/mo for a membership. That's just fucking ridiculous.

Right now I am just working out at home, but I need more equipment sooner rather than later.

That's pretty standard. You can probably talk your way out of the $140 or wait for one of the "sales" that seem to happen every few months, but $35/month isn't exactly outrageous. I pay $85/month for a family membership and the local shithole YMCA, and nicer athletic clubs will ask $75+ for a single membership.

Barrett2

Captain Glanton said:
I'm going to squat this afternoon, come hell or high water. It's been over three weeks, and I feel like my legs are tiny, flabby spaghetti noddles. More importantly, I just miss the buzz you get from it.

It's amazing how not working out for a week or two creates such a psychological effect. If I go more than five days, I feel like I am getting dramatically smaller by the day.

lil smoke

Banned
lawblob said:
It's amazing how not working out for a week or two creates such a psychological effect. If I go more than five days, I feel like I am getting dramatically smaller by the day.
So true. Which is why when I know I'm doing something like the beach or similar, I MUST hit the gym beforehand. Sure, your muscles pump up, but that psych thing is always the driving factor.

I skipped months of gym, and now that I'm back... I can barely look at myself in the mirror until I get some of my shit back!

Jirotrom

beelzebozo said:
at that point, i feel like you have almost no time for a life. or am i just nuts? i guess if you just genuinely enjoy working out, i could see it, but for most who view it as a double-edged love/hate utilitarian thing, 4 hours a day of working out is just nutty.
No... my schedule worked out just fine... and really it was my life... it was enjoyable, my cardio was racquetball.... only reason I don't play R-ball like that now is because most of my friends that played and including myself have moved away. You don't just exercise for looks, you get the most out of it when it becomes apart of your lifestyle.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
You have too much triceps work. They are a small muscle group. Try this:

Flat barbell bench: 3 sets of 8
Incline barbell bench: 3 sets of 8
Dips: 5 sets to failure, with weights on first 3 sets
Close grip bench: 2 sets X 5

Also, have you been doing specific bodypart splits [a "back day," a "chest day"] for a year? That's why you have stagnated. Try using upper/lower splits, 4 days a week.

Maybe like:
Day 1 Upper Body
Day 2 Lower Body
Day 3 Cardio/HIIT
Day 4 Off
Day 5 Upper Body with some Cardio/HIIT
Day 6 Lower Body
Day 7 Off

I think most of it is because my eating habits aren't up to par, I don't eat shit anymore but I don't think I'm eating enough. Also what excerise could I do with the plan you made up. I mostly want to gain muscle not really lose too much weight at this time. I'm pretty skinny.

mr stroke said:

Hmm, 235 is REALLY light to have your grip failing. If you are doing the grip that Glanton is talking about in the first post, the over/under grip, you should be able to go much higher. Still straps wouldn't be a bad idea until your grip strengthens if you really are grip limited. Just remember to not over-rely on them. Try to work up without straps and then use them as your grip becomes limiting. Also go ahead and do separate grip exercises on your non-back days. Grip is a very small muscle group and generally heals pretty fast so it should be able to handle 2 days of hard work along with it's corollary work in all lifts.

And that's the interesting thing about the over/under grip, and using straps...you gotta find a balance between lifting more and working your grip. I do all my deadlifts with an overhand grip--as long as I can do it. If I don't get the rep, usually switching to an over/under ensures I get it and the next one. This way I'm working my grip as long as I can, and still getting to lift the heavier weight.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
And that's the interesting thing about the over/under grip, and using straps...you gotta find a balance between lifting more and working your grip. I do all my deadlifts with an overhand grip--as long as I can do it. If I don't get the rep, usually switching to an over/under ensures I get it and the next one. This way I'm working my grip as long as I can, and still getting to lift the heavier weight.
While that's a good approach (one that I use as well, even though I usually don't switch grips mid-set, I pretty much know how much weight my overhand can handle) a beginner should use it with caution -
Grip problems can many times lead to confidence and form problems, especially arm bending a back looseness.
It's very important that someone trying to improve his grip through deadlifts stay very diligent on his form and make sure he's not fucking his back in the process.

Nutter

reilo said:

I go to the 24 in beaverton and as far as I know, there is no up front fee, im paying 20 dollars a month..

mr stroke

Captain Glanton said:
Did you read the OP's description of deadlifting grip? That's how I do it.

thanks good read. I have never tried one hand forward and one backwards. Does it really make that much of a difference in your grip?

....and Captain you can do a 545 lb deadlift? HOLLY FUCK.....

mr stroke said:
thanks good read. I have never tried one hand forward and one backwards. Does it really make that much of a difference in your grip?

....and Captain you can do a 545 lb deadlift? HOLLY FUCK.....
The grip makes an enormous difference. Also, be sure to focus on holding/gripping the bar with your forearms and upper arms, not with your fingers. It's a mental device but it works wonders.

Between you and me, I have lower back problems that don't allow me to deadlift for more than a few weeks in a row. That 545 is without being able to do it consistently. I've actually done barbell rows for 405 for 5 reps, but that was about a year ago. I'm much more interested in pullups now than bent rows.

Slo

Capt, when you do rows with that much more than your bodyweight, how do you keep yourself upright? I need to lean backwards so much that the movement starts to become an upright row.

Slo said:
Capt, when you do rows with that much more than your bodyweight, how do you keep yourself upright? I need to lean backwards so much that the movement starts to become an upright row.
I hadn't thought about it. :lol All I can do is describe my form:

Feet shoulder width, knees bent to about 30 degrees or so, leaning forward to about 45 degrees, so that it feels like my shoulders are out in front of my toes [if that makes sense]. When I row up, I bring the bar up to the bottom of my rib cage; when I get going, I'll actually start banging it against my bottom ribs with each rep.

Ok - I need a little advice.

I work out at home with dumb bells and an exercise ball, and I haven't really noticed that much change in my muscle mass. My muscles get sore, and I have been waiting a proper amount of time for them to fully recover, but I just don't see that much improvement.

Today I bought a protein supplement, but I'm afraid of gaining weight (fat). Should I worry? Should I hopefully get more results?

GHG

Squall5042 said:

I work out at home with dumb bells and an exercise ball, and I haven't really noticed that much change in my muscle mass. My muscles get sore, and I have been waiting a proper amount of time for them to fully recover, but I just don't see that much improvement.

Today I bought a protein supplement, but I'm afraid of gaining weight (fat). Should I worry? Should I hopefully get more results?

Whats your routine? And more importantly what's your diet? No matter how much training you do, unless you eat big, you wont get big. I wouldn't worry about fat if you're in the initial stages of muscle building. Its easier to lose fat than it is to gain muscle.

Chichikov

Slo said:
You should not be leaning backward and move your core upright, the key is sticking your butt out.
Also, I see many people keeping the bar hanging during the set, don't do it, it's very hard to maintain form with heavy weights like that, start and end from the floor.

If you still can't lift the bar to your chest without leaning back it probably means the weight is too heavy for you.

Qwerty710710 said:
I think most of it is because my eating habits aren't up to par, I don't eat shit anymore but I don't think I'm eating enough. Also what excerise could I do with the plan you made up. I mostly want to gain muscle not really lose too much weight at this time. I'm pretty skinny.
You can do all the good ones: overhead presses, dips, pullups, barbell rows, flat benches [in moderation! be careful!], squats, deadlifts, power cleans. All will help you gain mass.

Ace 8095

Squall5042 said:

The reason you’re not gaining mass is because you're exercising with dumbbells and an exercise ball. Unless you want to be built like a 35-year-old soccer mom I suggest you go on a program that contains squats, presses, dead lifts, and cleans/rows on a liner progression schedule. I suggest buying the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, learn how to properly perform the above lifts, and eat a lot more than you're eating now.

Here is a summery of Starting Strength but I really suggest you get the book, words can't describe how helpful it is. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

My bible http://www.amazon.com/dp/0976805421/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GHG said:
Whats your routine? And more importantly what's your diet? No matter how much training you do, unless you eat big, you wont get big. I wouldn't worry about fat if you're in the initial stages of muscle building. Its easier to lose fat than it is to gain muscle.

I work out 2 muscle groups a day, 2 times a week. I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I'm currently at 6'1 and 135 lbs. I don't want to be HUGE, but I'm sick of having scrawny arms...

Ace 8095

Squall5042 said:
I work out 2 muscle groups a day, 2 times a week. I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I'm currently at 6'1 and 135 lbs. I don't want to be HUGE, but I'm sick of having scrawny arms...

If you follow the above routine correctly, eat more meat, and drink one gallon of whole milk a day, you will weigh at least 160 by January. There is nothing that will help you gain strength and weight faster than if you follow these simple steps. Trust me.

Halvie

Banned
$35 monthly fee is pretty cheap imo. The YMCA I go to now is $65 a month which is a huge rip off. Need to find a new place to go. People at my gym suck. Tons of middle aged women wearing high heels while they do their kickbacks...urgh.

Ace 8095 said:
If you follow the above routine correctly, eat more meat, and drink one gallon of whole milk a day, you will weigh at least 160 by January. There is nothing that will help you gain strength and weight faster than if you follow these simple steps. Trust me.

I don't really have access to a gym right now, so I'm stuck with the equipment I have....so I probably shouldn't start that diet regimen until I can get into a gym.

GHG

Squall5042 said:

Here we go again :lol . Read over the last couple of pages ;) .

You need some protien in your diet. Meat, fish, eggs, milk, nuts. Aim to get over 100g of protien in you per day, the rest of your diet seems fine since you're eating whole grain + fruit/veg.

Keep at it and don't give up. You will see improvements, but if you currently have scrawny arms (plus you're quite tall) then it'll take a while. You have to be very dedicated because progress will be slow at first. I was in that situation 3 years ago and looking back I sometimes wonder how the hell I kept myself going. Have a target body image in your head of yourself and work towards it.

lostzenfound

Thanks for the advice guys. Today was the first day I took in three meals and a ton of water and I've got to say, I feel ridiculously bloated... but I have faith that it's the right thing to do for my body. I'm still sticking with the same home workout I had before, only a little more intense and with some extra things thrown in to work my legs more.

I sort of worked out a variation of a squat thrust (I think?) using dumbbells in which I start with the dumbbells at my waist, then flip them up to my shoulders, press upwards, drop down, then back to my waist, squat, thrust, do a push-up on the dumbbells, then reverse... Is this an actual exercise or a ridiculous and silly exercise? I'm using 20lb dumbbells right now, but I still couldn't do more than seven or eight in a set after doing some of my other exercises.

You guys mention HIIT a lot and that seems really interesting to me. I love running and climbing stairs and those sorts of exercises. What's a good resource online or a good book to learn about HIIT?

mr stroke

Captain Glanton said:
The grip makes an enormous difference. Also, be sure to focus on holding/gripping the bar with your forearms and upper arms, not with your fingers. It's a mental device but it works wonders.

Between you and me, I have lower back problems that don't allow me to deadlift for more than a few weeks in a row. That 545 is without being able to do it consistently. I've actually done barbell rows for 405 for 5 reps, but that was about a year ago. I'm much more interested in pullups now than bent rows.

still 545 is fucking bat shit insane. I have never seen anyone get even close to that at any gym I have been to. and 405 barbell rows are just as crazy:lol

but then theres always this guy-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRxpqP9BQY&feature=related
1100 lbs deadlift :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom