• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chichikov said:
While that's a good approach (one that I use as well, even though I usually don't switch grips mid-set, I pretty much know how much weight my overhand can handle) a beginner should use it with caution -
Grip problems can many times lead to confidence and form problems, especially arm bending a back looseness.
It's very important that someone trying to improve his grip through deadlifts stay very diligent on his form and make sure he's not fucking his back in the process.

This is true. But its actually consistent use of the over/under that can lead to injuries, as the supination of one arm vs the other leads to imbalance loading of the shoulders and back.

An interesting note, for anyone with a similar body to mine (long torso, long arms, short legs): just as a thought, I tried getting more upright with my deadlifts, making sure my knees still didnt go too far over the bar path. And of course (as I should have known), I was fine, due to my bodily makeup. Long torsoes + arms are good candidates for pulls from the floor. So if you're similar, get as vertical as you can without letting your shoulders get behind the bar. The added leg drive helps a lot and saves my lower back.

Chichikov

lostzenfound said:
I sort of worked out a variation of a squat thrust (I think?) using dumbbells in which I start with the dumbbells at my waist, then flip them up to my shoulders, press upwards, drop down, then back to my waist, squat, thrust, do a push-up on the dumbbells, then reverse... Is this an actual exercise or a ridiculous and silly exercise? I'm using 20lb dumbbells right now, but I still couldn't do more than seven or eight in a set after doing some of my other exercises.
Squat thrusts can be a great, especially if you throw in a jump or a skip at the top end of it, but I would not do it with dumbbells, it's greatest value is it's explosiveness and speed, and I can't imagine that being safe with dumbbells. Now, if you can get some strap-in/wear-on weights, you got yourself one hell of an exercise.
As for squatting options with dumbbells, try goblet squats (one dumbbell held with both near the chest) or squats with the weights on your side, either on your sides or up on your shoulders.
Unfortunately none of those are as effective as barbell squats as it is very hard to do them with heavy enough weight, so aim for fast long sets.

lostzenfound said:
You guys mention HIIT a lot and that seems really interesting to me. I love running and climbing stairs and those sorts of exercises. What's a good resource online or a good book to learn about HIIT?
HIIT is very simple -
Redline for 30 seconds, take it easy for 30 seconds.
Rinse and repeat until you want to die.

Mr. Snrub said:
This is true. But its actually consistent use of the over/under that can lead to injuries, as the supination of one arm vs the other leads to imbalance loading of the shoulders and back.

An interesting note, for anyone with a similar body to mine (long torso, long arms, short legs): just as a thought, I tried getting more upright with my deadlifts, making sure my knees still didnt go too far over the bar path. And of course (as I should have known), I was fine, due to my bodily makeup. Long torsoes + arms are good candidates for pulls from the floor. So if you're similar, get as vertical as you can without letting your shoulders get behind the bar. The added leg drive helps a lot and saves my lower back.
Absolutely, I always say - think pushing with your legs and keeping your shoulders out.
The rest will (almost always) work itself.

lil smoke

Banned
OK, I'm in my 3rd week of "back in the gym full force", and this week I'm noticing obvious loss of energy throughout the day, crankiness, sluggishness... just not myself. I'm also having a hard time staying asleep through the night. Feels like some sort of anxiety or restlessness and very jittery while I'm in bed.

Don't remember feeling lethargic when starting back up before? Seems like I should be more energetic, and I should be sleeping like a baby. What the hell is going on?

lil smoke said:
OK, I'm in my 3rd week of "back in the gym full force", and this week I'm noticing obvious loss of energy throughout the day, crankiness, sluggishness... just not myself. I'm also having a hard time staying asleep through the night. Feels like some sort of anxiety or restlessness and very jittery while I'm in bed.

Don't remember feeling lethargic when starting back up before? Seems like I should be more energetic, and I should be sleeping like a baby. What the hell is going on?

Those are symptoms of overtraining and/or not recovering. What's your routine like?

Mr. Snrub said:

I agree about the deadlifting form. I pull as vertically as I can.

If you're that concerned about unbalanced training with a mixed grip, try mixed grip pullups. At the end of my last upper body workout, I did 5 with the grip mixed one way, 5 with the grip mixed the other way, and then as many as I could [on another station] with palms facing each other.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Those are symptoms of overtraining and/or not recovering. What's your routine like?
I've been "undertraining" so far. I'm trying to take it slow (advice from here)... no more than 40 minutes in the gym. Just doing basic excersizes- full body, just to get the kinks out and to get the initial pain phase over with. Only 3 days a week... and it's in the morning before I go to work.

As soon as 11:00AM hits, I just feel this sluggishness come over me. An hour after my main lunch, I get it again. Sleep starts off good, but somewhere 2-3 hours before it's time to wake up, I can no longer sleep comfortably, so I toss & turn for 2 hours, then wake up.... go to the gym, or work depending on the day.

Ah I'm sure I'll get over it... probably just a acclimation phase.

Chichikov

lil smoke said:
I've been "undertraining" so far. I'm trying to take it slow (advice from here)... no more than 40 minutes in the gym. Just doing basic excersizes- full body, just to get the kinks out and to get the initial pain phase over with. Only 3 days a week... and it's in the morning before I go to work.

As soon as 11:00AM hits, I just feel this sluggishness come over me. An hour after my main lunch, I get it again. Sleep starts off good, but somewhere 2-3 hours before it's time to wake up, I can no longer sleep comfortably, so I toss & turn for 2 hours, then wake up.... go to the gym, or work depending on the day.

Ah I'm sure I'll get over it... probably just a acclimation phase.
I could've dismissed most of your symptoms as a sugar drop or just plain old fatigue, but problems sleeping is a classic indicator of overtraining.

Chichikov said:
I could've dismissed most of your symptoms as a sugar drop or just plain old fatigue, but problems sleeping is a classic indicator of overtraining.
Eh, if I screw up my blood sugar, I'll have sleeping problems too.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
After workout, I've been drinking a protien shake, eggs, potatoes, an orange... and sometimes a little *cough* bacon ahem... and plenty of water as usual.

It is a change from my normal large oatmeal breakfast.

Any unusual stress from other parts of your life?

Looking at your description, and given that you're not a total noob, I don't see how you can be overtraining.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
I guess you're right, I know hypoglycemia can fuck your sleep, but at least on my body it has to be pretty extreme to manifest itself in insomnia (I crashed my sugars many time and kept on sleeping).
But yeah, it's easier (and probably smarter) to see if a little post workout sugars can solve his problem.
I would stay diligent regardless, overtraining sucks and better be identified as soon as possible.

lil smoke

Banned
I do not eat lots of sugar at all. Only sugar that occurs naturally in food, or 'sugars' that sneak up in certain products ... however I cheat every now and then.

I know I'm not overtraining. I can put much more weight on, or do more reps. I'm fairly disciplined.

Think I'll give it another week, and see how I feel. I wanted to step things up a notch next week, but I'll take another moderate week. Thanks for the blood sugar thought, I will keep that in mind.

Mr.City

Boy, I'm getting tired of the fooliness at my gym. 400 pound men doing swinging their arms on the tricep machine (that's right. I said machine) while Fallout Boy plays over the speakers. Jesus, I saw some trainer make a chubby, middle age woman do laps around the gym after each set on a weight machine. God, I wish I had the strength to hurl a barbell through the ceiling.

Gym rage over.

mr stroke

Captain Glanton said:
The grip makes an enormous difference. Also, be sure to focus on holding/gripping the bar with your forearms and upper arms, not with your fingers. It's a mental device but it works wonders.

Well all thanks goes out to Captain this morning!!!!!!
switched up my grip to underhand/overhand and focused on forearms not my fingers-and went from a 235 lb deadlift to 295 lb deadlift. The grip and the mental pull makes ALL the difference. I think I had a little bit left, I should be able to get to 305-315 lb with that grip:D

(hopefully there are no negitaves to using that grip vs standard grip)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mr.City said:
Boy, I'm getting tired of the fooliness at my gym. 400 pound men doing swinging their arms on the tricep machine (that's right. I said machine) while Fallout Boy plays over the speakers. Jesus, I saw some trainer make a chubby, middle age woman do laps around the gym after each set on a weight machine. God, I wish I had the strength to hurl a barbell through the ceiling.

Gym rage over.

What, mixing cardio with weight trainin' not good?

lil smoke

Banned
Mr.City said:

Gym rage over.
I'm actually more annoyed at the people who worry about what other people are doing in the gym. No offense, but mind your business and focus on your own workout.

One thing I hate is a bunch of dudes all looking at each other in all the mirrors.

Chichikov

Mr.City said:

Gym rage over.
You call that gym rage?
Last week I went to different branch of my gym (yeah, I go to one of these mega gyms, yeah it sucks, but yeah, I get it free from work) and not only do they have carpet all over (and I mean all over, including the power cages, try to fucking squat on a carpet, pure BS) they also have a “respect our neighbors, don’t drop weights” policy.
You heard me right, a fucking gym, where you can’t drop weights.
Good luck with your deadlifts.
Absolute joke.

lil smoke

Banned
Chichikov said:
You call that gym rage?
Last week I went to different branch of my gym (yeah, I go to one of these mega gyms, yeah it sucks, but yeah, I get it free from work) and not only do they have carpet all over (and I mean all over, including the power cages, try to fucking squat on a carpet, pure BS) they also have a “respect our neighbors, don’t drop weights” policy.
Absolute joke.
Oh yeah? NYSC New York Sports Clubs Gyms ALL have carpet... in the LOCKER ROOMS. Yes, where everyone's sweaty feet, ass and moldy wet towels end up after working out. The entire locker room smells like ass.

Gettin ready to go now actually.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
You can do all the good ones: overhead presses, dips, pullups, barbell rows, flat benches [in moderation! be careful!], squats, deadlifts, power cleans. All will help you gain mass.

How do I exactly make that into one plan. It seems alot of work cram up into one day as long as I get muscle I'll be pleased.

Qwerty710710 said:
How do I exactly make that into one plan. It seems alot of work cram up into one day as long as I get muscle I'll be pleased.
Okay:

Day 1 Upper Body: Overhead Press, Pullups, Incline Bench, Dips, Barbell Curls

Day 2 Lower Body: Back Squats, Front Hacks

Day 3 Cardio/HIIT

Day 4 Off

Day 5 Upper Body: Deadlift, Flat Bench, Dumbbell Rows, Dips

Day 6 Lower Body: Front Squats, Jump Squats, Walking Dumbbell Lunges

Day 7 Cardio/HIIT OR a Day Off

You will notice that for lower body days, I prefer to do fewer exercises. This means that you need to do more sets with each exercise and to make them more intense, i.e., leave it all in the squat rack.

I think that this is a good program for an upper-lower split routine, but keep in mind that if you do this, you must take your diet and your rest very seriously. Eat and sleep as much as you can.

Mr.City said:

Gym rage over.
Best Thread Ever.

Mr.City

Sol.. said:
What, mixing cardio with weight trainin' not good?

No, you just look like a damned fool doing a set on your cute little exercise device and then taking a lap around the gym, which isn't very big, and getting right back on. They don't fucking run right. Arms smashed up into their sides, head bobbing all around,and they don't lean forward enough.

All though, yesterday I nearly raged on this middle aged fool on the seated leg peddling device (it's basically a chair with some peddle across from it. NOT A CYCLING STATION) and I swear by Christ, he was yawning. That's worse than the shitheads who read a book or a magazine while doing cardio. Well, actually scratch that. If you're able to read something longer than a sentence while active, you sure as hell aren't doing cardio.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
Okay:

Day 1 Upper Body: Overhead Press, Pullups, Incline Bench, Dips, Barbell Curls

Day 2 Lower Body: Back Squats, Front Hacks

Day 3 Cardio/HIIT

Day 4 Off

Day 5 Upper Body: Deadlift, Flat Bench, Dumbbell Rows, Dips

Day 6 Lower Body: Front Squats, Jump Squats, Walking Dumbbell Lunges

Day 7 Cardio/HIIT OR a Day Off

You will notice that for lower body days, I prefer to do fewer exercises. This means that you need to do more sets with each exercise and to make them more intense, i.e., leave it all in the squat rack.

I think that this is a good program for an upper-lower split routine, but keep in mind that if you do this, you must take your diet and your rest very seriously. Eat and sleep as much as you can.

Best Thread Ever.

Ok I'll give it a try I'll start it next week. thanks

Soybean

I just started reading Starting Strength. I had never done a real squat before. All I can squat is the bar (which, if standard, is only 45 lbs). You have no idea how embarassing it is to be in the gym squatting nothing. And the deadlifts, my god. 35 lbs. + bar.

It's going to be a long, long road.

Jirotrom

Mr.City said:
No, you just look like a damned fool doing a set on your cute little exercise device and then taking a lap around the gym, which isn't very big, and getting right back on. They don't fucking run right. Arms smashed up into their sides, head bobbing all around,and they don't lean forward enough.

All though, yesterday I nearly raged on this middle aged fool on the seated leg peddling device (it's basically a chair with some peddle across from it. NOT A CYCLING STATION) and I swear by Christ, he was yawning. That's worse than the shitheads who read a book or a magazine while doing cardio. Well, actually scratch that. If you're able to read something longer than a sentence while active, you sure as hell aren't doing cardio.
they arent reading out loud... multi-tasking isn't that difficult you know, and seriously... at least those people are trying to make an effort rather than sitting at home all day playing WoW or w/e people do.

Mr.City

Jirotrom said:
they arent reading out loud... multi-tasking isn't that difficult you know, and seriously... at least those people are trying to make an effort rather than sitting at home all day playing WoW or w/e people do.
I'm only speaking for myself here, but... whenever I'm doing cardio I'm usually only able to focus on the workout. What I'm questioning here is the intensity of the workout if you can still concentrate on reading a book.

Soybean said:
I just started reading Starting Strength. I had never done a real squat before. All I can squat is the bar (which, if standard, is only 45 lbs). You have no idea how embarassing it is to be in the gym squatting nothing. And the deadlifts, my god. 35 lbs. + bar.

It's going to be a long, long road.

Nice! Seriously dude, as long as you eat a LOT and drink a LOT of milk, you'll make gains for MONTHS, as a beginner. It sounds like you are the kind of person this program is designed for; if you check out Mark Rippetoe's Q&A forum, he talks about kids gaining 50lbs (very little of it fat) is 6-8 months, along with some pretty insane gains in their lifts.

Jirotrom

Mr.City said:
I'm only speaking for myself here, but... whenever I'm doing cardio I'm usually only able to focus on the workout. What I'm questioning here is the intensity of the workout if you can still concentrate on reading a book.
Im sure it isn't intense... some people go in there for endurance... I personally don't run or bike, I hate that shit... I prefer to play r-ball:D
Funny thing is I used to love running in high school.
Mr. Snrub said:
Nice! Seriously dude, as long as you eat a LOT and drink a LOT of milk, you'll make gains for MONTHS, as a beginner. It sounds like you are the kind of person this program is designed for; if you check out Mark Rippetoe's Q&A forum, he talks about kids gaining 50lbs (very little of it fat) is 6-8 months, along with some pretty insane gains in their lifts.
seriously man... I thought drinking a ton of milk isn't really good for you as a male... I could be wrong on this as Im no expert on the subject.

GHG

Jirotrom said:
Im sure it isn't intense... some people go in there for endurance... I personally don't run or bike, I hate that shit... I prefer to play r-ball:D
Funny thing is I used to love running in high school.

seriously man... I thought drinking a ton of milk isn't really good for you as a male... I could be wrong on this as Im no expert on the subject.

If its Soya milk then it can be bad for you... but normal milk? Never heard that before.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Why would it be bad for you? And why would it be bad, specifically, for a male?
I read somewhere... (can't remember where) that high milk intake increases chances of testicular cancer... not sure how true this is as i'm not involved in the research myself.

Granted everything causes cancer these days:lol :lol

Jirotrom said:
I read somewhere... (can't remember where) that high milk intake increases chances of testicular cancer... not sure how true this is as i'm not involved in the research myself.

Granted everything causes cancer these days:lol :lol

Never heard of that and sounds completely false. Let me know if you find the source though...would be nice to know.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Never heard of that and sounds completely false. Let me know if you find the source though...would be nice to know.
I just searched... there are actually a ton of studies on it, it has to do with the hormones from the cows... especially cows that are milked near or during pregnancy. Also because hormones are fat soluble, cheeses and milks that are higher in fat increase the risk. It causes ovarian cancer as well but it seems the various studies out there are more focused on males.

Jirotrom said:
I just searched... there are actually a ton of studies on it, it has to do with the hormones from the cows... especially cows that are milked near or during pregnancy. Also because hormones are fat soluble, cheeses and milks that are higher in fat increase the risk. It causes ovarian cancer as well but it seems the various studies out there are more focused on males.

Hm, never heard of it. Football players, weight lifters, bodybuilders, and athletes in general have been doing it since the 70's, if not earlier, and there haven't been any correlated studies reported on it thus far for them.

In these studies, do they recommend against a specific amount? How were the studies conducted? What age group? For how long? What sort of milk, and from which farms? What was the control?

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Hm, never heard of it. Football players, weight lifters, bodybuilders, and athletes in general have been doing it since the 70's, if not earlier, and there haven't been any correlated studies reported on it thus far for them.

In these studies, do they recommend against a specific amount? How were the studies conducted? What age group? For how long? What sort of milk, and from which farms? What was the control?
like I said there are various... the one thing though that seems consistent is the dairy that contains fat, also the rates being higher in the US, granted these studies have been going on since 2003 apparently, and some farming practices have changed in order to prevent more problems. Since the 70s yes but its because of the year round milking that causes issues, pregnant cows cause the problem. So testicular cancer has increased in the US over the past few years.

If you drink skim milk everything seems to be fine. (negative on skim milk...no vitamin D) Because there have been many experiments over the past few years trying to list all the control groups and what not would be a little ridiculous.:lol :lol Just google it, lots of scholarly articles out there on the subject, and I'm certain you will find some that state there is no issue. Personally Im not to worried, as there aren't high rates of cancer in my family. I use milk in my protein shakes.

EDIT: then again... my family is Nigerian and dairy products like milk and cheese are not common at all in the diets...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I wonder if its the whole pasturization of the milk where as human kind has been drinking it Raw for thousands of years

Greg

How long after you stop lifting do you start losing muscle?

Hurt my neck/back/shoulder after a month and a half of good lifting... now I feel like it has all been a complete waste because I couldn't lift for two weeks. Along with that, since I've stopped, I've lost my appetite.

And I'm worried about starting lifting again and hurting it...

GHG

Muscle has memory, don't worry about it. After a couple of big sessions and getting back into your routine you should be back where you left of if its only been 2 weeks. If you're coming back from an injury take it easy though, just see how it goes.

Needs some help from anyone to the guru's.

I work out everyday...from Intensive weight lifting on day 1 and 2-3 mile cardio on day 2( Rinse and repeat ) Some friends of mine have asked me to jog with them in the mornings 6-8 am for about 6 miles a day now.. Im scared that this will ruin my energy supply during my physical weight training or does it? They'd like to run every morning if possible.. could someone name me some of the positives and negatives? I mean cardio and physical training in one day couldnt be that bad... or maybe its really good?

SuperAndroid17 said:

I work out everyday...from Intensive weight lifting on day 1 and 2-3 mile cardio on day 2( Rinse and repeat ) Some friends of mine have asked me to jog with them in the mornings 6-8 am for about 6 miles a day now.. Im scared that this will ruin my energy supply during my physical weight training or does it? They'd like to run every morning if possible.. could someone name me some of the positives and negatives? I mean cardio and physical training in one day couldnt be that bad... or maybe its really good?

What are your goals?

Ripclawe

Banned
Back to work, I signed up for 24hour fitness with the weekly special for 29 bucks a month. (94 down) now I got to figure how to eat right again. :D

The one thing that bothers me is the byzantine cancellation policies for all these gyms. The first chain that comes up with you want to cancel? Done would get my business.

SuperAndroid17 said:

Unless you're a top level athlete and your diet is perfect, that sounds like a lot of stress on your body. I wouldn't be surprised if, over the coming weeks, your strength progress came to a halt.

But on the plus side, you'd be in excellent shape if you stuck with it.

Uncooked

Banned
Chichikov said:
they also have a “respect our neighbors, don’t drop weights” policy.
Absolute joke.

People dropping/throwing weights from the top of a lift or just high up in general drives me absolutely insane. You will see gym idiots doing this because they want it to make a huge sound, so everybody stops what they are doing and looks at the "massive weight" they just flung across the room. At my gym there are countless dumbells in such terrible shape, and let me tell you, there is nothing better than doing overhead tricep extensions and wondering if the 95 pound dumbell is going to snap and crush your skull. In regards to the deadlifts, you aren't supposed to drop the weight at any point in the lift, you are supposed to lower it in a controlled fashion and make sure it comes to a complete (DEAD) stop on the floor before doing another rep. If you can't do the last rep without dropping it, then I recommend lowering the weight a bit.

Chichikov

Uncooked said:
People dropping/throwing weights from the top of a lift or just high up in general drives me absolutely insane. You will see gym idiots doing this because they want it to make a huge sound, so everybody stops what they are doing and looks at the "massive weight" they just flung across the room. At my gym there are countless dumbells in such terrible shape, and let me tell you, there is nothing better than doing overhead tricep extensions and wondering if the 95 pound dumbell is going to snap and crush your skull. In regards to the deadlifts, you aren't supposed to drop the weight at any point in the lift, you are supposed to lower it in a controlled fashion and make sure it comes to a complete (DEAD) stop on the floor before doing another rep. If you can't do the last rep without dropping it, then I recommend lowering the weight a bit.
I don't care how strong you are and how good is your form, on heavy deadlifts you will clunk the floor.

Any specific recommendations for good solid shoes for weightlifting? I'm currently using a thin pair of all-purpose tennis shoes I bought for $25, and have been using them for the past year, but have started to think that might not be a great idea.

Looking at these at the moment: http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/training/MX854WN/ It's hard to tell from the website, but they're relatively flat on the bottom and have a very strong/rough grip to prevent sliding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom