• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

You know what sucks, when you have a girlfirend who can eat whatever the fuck she wants and still looks banging and then you always gotta be careful what you eat or you'll look like fatty boy - shit this weekend I ate with her too - she's poision :(

Christopher said:
You know what sucks, when you have a girlfirend who can eat whatever the fuck she wants and still looks banging and then you always gotta be careful what you eat or you'll look like fatty boy - shit this weekend I ate with her too - she's poision :(

I know what you mean man. My girlfriend even gets upset if I mention to her that I've been lifting or running because it makes her feel like she needs to work out more often (she doesn't, she's damn gorgeous and in good shape). She doesn't mind me working out or eating how I want to, but when I'm around her I don't mention lifting and eat just enough junk food that she likes to eat to appease her.

It's all a very delicate balance, I could write a short novel on it.

Chichikov

Soka said:
Any specific recommendations for good solid shoes for weightlifting? I'm currently using a thin pair of all-purpose tennis shoes I bought for $25, and have been using them for the past year, but have started to think that might not be a great idea.

Looking at these at the moment: http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/training/MX854WN/ It's hard to tell from the website, but they're relatively flat on the bottom and have a very strong/rough grip to prevent sliding.
That looks like a pretty poor lifting shoe for me, you don't want your any shock/air/sole-compression on your weightlifting shoes.
Go buy a specialized pair designed for lifting, you'll thank me later.

I got Do-Win, I think it's this model -
http://www.roguefitness.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=384
Pretty happy with it.

Christopher

Soka said:
I know what you mean man. My girlfriend even gets upset if I mention to her that I've been lifting or running because it makes her feel like she needs to work out more often (she doesn't, she's damn gorgeous and in good shape). She doesn't mind me working out or eating how I want to, but when I'm around her I don't mention lifting and eat just enough junk food that she likes to eat to appease her.

It's all a very delicate balance, I could write a short novel on it.

:lol please let me read it when you're done.

I feel like I'm gonna stray from the gym because of her I feel liek I'm in excellent shape so when I miss a day i'm like ehhh no worries, then two i'm like ehhh I didn't go that much last week eitehr to hang out with her.

fatta chicka chris :(

Mr.City

Christopher said:

I feel like I'm gonna stray from the gym because of her I feel liek I'm in excellent shape so when I miss a day i'm like ehhh no worries, then two i'm like ehhh I didn't go that much last week eitehr to hang out with her.

Stay strong, fool.

Actually...I've a similar problem. I work on Sat and Sunday, and I just feel wiped after I"m off of work. My feet are usually killing me (I'm on my feet for 8 hours) and I just feel life had just whooped the shit out of me. As you can guess, I don't feel like going to the gym...well, at least not right away.

This is bad because I get off of work around 4pm and the gym closes at 6pm on the weekends. Weak.

Mr.Snrub

My goals were

1. lose more fat ( shape/appearance wise )

2. get more muscle and get my body defined

so far ive suceeded in gaining alot of muscle/strength in the past 2 months and lost alot of fat.

I think the gaf servers are still screwy.. alot of pages of posts are missing.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
All right I started the new program that Captain recommend to me. I thought it worked well but my concern is that there isn't much much foucs on biceps, hammy, and calfs.

Alright. My post got f'in deleted.

Anyway, what's the deal with olive oil and working out? I remember someone mentioning this many posts ago. I know it's a good anti-imflammatory. I actually put it in my oatmeal this morning, but I think I put too much in. Two tablespoons. I felt sick at the gym.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Qwerty710710 said:
All right I started the new program that Captain recommend to me. I thought it worked well but my concern is that there isn't much much foucs on biceps, hammy, and calfs.

The tricep takes up 2/3 of your arm and strong/large triceps are key for strong presses they're much more important. Biceps are already hit with most back exercises except pullovers. I train my biceps maybe once every 2-3 weeks for a total of 4 sets...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/Xeno/DSC00978.jpg

Hamstrings.

Straightleg deadlift
Good-morning
Standing Leg curl
hyperextension
glute-hams

Highlighted hit the lower back which is a two for one.

Calf raise tip; at full extension make sure you're as high on your toes as possible like a balerina.

Qwerty710710 said:
Deep squats will work your hammys. Front hacks and walking lunges are practically entirely hammy and ass exercises.

I personally think that biceps are too small a muscle to devote a lot of attention to. Throw in some barbell curls if you like. I also never work calves--I find that my sprints and stair work take care of that.

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Anyway, what's the deal with olive oil and working out? I remember someone mentioning this many posts ago. I know it's a good anti-imflammatory. I actually put it in my oatmeal this morning, but I think I put too much in. Two tablespoons. I felt sick at the gym.
The best place I've found for olive oil is in my rice, halfway through its boiling. I put the oil in with the seasonings I use.

Chichikov

Jason's Ultimatum said:

You can put it in your salad, and it works great when frying fish or making eggs.
Mind you that it burns in lower temperatures than regular cooking oil.

Jirotrom

Alright its back.... I got sick over the weekend so I had to miss my workout today:(, Come rain or shine Im working out tomorrow.

Uncooked said:
People dropping/throwing weights from the top of a lift or just high up in general drives me absolutely insane. You will see gym idiots doing this because they want it to make a huge sound, so everybody stops what they are doing and looks at the "massive weight" they just flung across the room. At my gym there are countless dumbells in such terrible shape, and let me tell you, there is nothing better than doing overhead tricep extensions and wondering if the 95 pound dumbell is going to snap and crush your skull. In regards to the deadlifts, you aren't supposed to drop the weight at any point in the lift, you are supposed to lower it in a controlled fashion and make sure it comes to a complete (DEAD) stop on the floor before doing another rep. If you can't do the last rep without dropping it, then I recommend lowering the weight a bit.

Eh, don't really agree. With any sort of Olympic weight, the weight is dropped after an attempt--that's just how you do it. With heavy deadlifts, the negative really isn't that important and if you are doing reps over 3 with heavy weight, slow negatives are going to compromise your lower back (fatigue builds up quick slowly lowering heavy weight).

Soka said:
Any specific recommendations for good solid shoes for weightlifting? I'm currently using a thin pair of all-purpose tennis shoes I bought for $25, and have been using them for the past year, but have started to think that might not be a great idea.

Looking at these at the moment: http://www.newbalance.com/fitness/training/MX854WN/ It's hard to tell from the website, but they're relatively flat on the bottom and have a very strong/rough grip to prevent sliding.

Chichikov had some good recommendations. Running/athletic shoes aren't good weight lifting shoes because they lack the stability that weightlifting shoes are designed for. You don't want to lift on anything that absorbs shock.

SuperAndroid17 said:
1. lose more fat ( shape/appearance wise )

2. get more muscle and get my body defined

so far ive suceeded in gaining alot of muscle/strength in the past 2 months and lost alot of fat.

Yeah, don't even bother with the morning runs. If you were to add them in, your weight training/muscular gain would be seriously compromised. Leave running for two hours every day for someone who is training for an event.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Oh yeah one more thing I can't really do pull up with my own body weight so instead I used lat pulldown machine. I'll use it for now until I get bigger bicep/lat muscles.

Qwerty710710 said:
Oh yeah one more thing I can't really do pull up with my own body weight so instead I used lat pulldown machine. I'll use it for now until I get bigger bicep/lat muscles.

Doing negatives from the pull up bar would probably be more beneficial.

Olive oil is for health; it's not going to up your strength numbers.

Qwerty710710 said:

Best way to increase your pullup strength: Do a "hold" for ten seconds, and repeat as necessary. A "hold" is when you grab the pullup bar and pull yourself up as far as you can [but not all the way up, if you're strong enough; use weights to make it so you can only get halfway up or so], and then you hold yourself at that position, and even if you start falling back down, make sure that you keep pulliing.

kathode

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Eh, still didn't get an answer.

Okay, how is olive oil beneficial for lifting weights?

It's not in particular. It's healthy monosaturated fat and is closely associated with a reduced risk of heart disease. Overall, it's a good piece of the total nutritional picture, and in general, if your nutrition is suffering, filling in those missing pieces will help out your bodybuilding and help you (to a small extent) grow more muscle. But it's not like protein consumption where there's a pretty direct link between that and muscle growth.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Did some hack squats, and regular squats. Very soon I'm going to try squatting w/o sitting on a bench, it seems my ankles block me from doing a full squat.

lil smoke

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
No. Olive oil is disgusting with oatmeal I imagine. :lol

Use in Pasta, Rice, veggies, and saute/steam chicken breast with it. It's basically the best oil that exists.

---

I experimented with a caffeine liquid boost (or something that came in a tube) thing last week... and I think I'll stay away from that type of stuff. 3 minutes afterwards, my tongue felt prickly. Then I could feel something spiky, tingly go through my entire bloodstream. I 1st felt it in my brain, it them went down my arms, through my torso, and on down through my legs. It was poison, I thought I was going to die, seriously. I had to stop a few times while I was walking to the gym to shake this feeling of "heat" off! Felt like I had been rolling around with a cactus. I almost didn't work out, but I was like, fuck it, and proceeded to get that shit out of my system by working the fuck out as hard as I could. (so i guess that was the 'trick' :lol good stuff)

I think I'll stick to shit like Olive oil, water, and my own adrenaline for now on!

mr stroke

Qwerty710710 said:

I wouldn't worry to much about your Hams as long as you are doing squats. If you want to rock your calfs try this--Grab a block or step and grab two 45 plates and hold them on each side of your arms, from there hang you feet off the block with only your toes touching and go ballerina style(up and down on your toes)..go until failure then hold up on your toes until failure.

dreadfulwater

aka morbidesque
Christopher said:

she has to go. its like being off the bottle, and all of your friends are drinking around you.

Mr.City

lil smoke said:
I experimented with a caffeine liquid boost (or something that came in a tube) thing last week... and I think I'll stay away from that type of stuff. 3 minutes afterwards, my tongue felt prickly. Then I could feel something spiky, tingly go through my entire bloodstream. I 1st felt it in my brain, it them went down my arms, through my torso, and on down through my legs. It was poison, I thought I was going to die, seriously. I had to stop a few times while I was walking to the gym to shake this feeling of "heat" off! Felt like I had been rolling around with a cactus. I almost didn't work out, but I was like, fuck it, and proceeded to get that shit out of my system by working the fuck out as hard as I could. (so i guess that was the 'trick' :lol good stuff)

I think I'll stick to shit like Olive oil, water, and my own adrenaline for now on!

What's the name of that stuff?

Christopher said:

this is exactly my problem. My girl will probably always be 115 or so no matter what she eats. She doesn't go to the gym, and I am hard pressed to find anybody to go with me. Because of this I go through cycles. I'll do 8 months hard at the gym and then I'll get lazy and gain 20 pounds over the next 8 months. Pretty frustrating, but I can't seem to break the habit..

Anybody have any tricks or techniques for getting into the gym and STAYING THERE?
(please forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I'm sure there's at least one or two throughout)

Ace 8095

joeblackisback said:
this is exactly my problem. My girl will probably always be 115 or so no matter what she eats. She doesn't go to the gym, and I am hard pressed to find anybody to go with me. Because of this I go through cycles. I'll do 8 months hard at the gym and then I'll get lazy and gain 20 pounds over the next 8 months. Pretty frustrating, but I can't seem to break the habit..

Anybody have any tricks or techniques for getting into the gym and STAYING THERE?
(please forgive me for not reading the entire thread, I'm sure there's at least one or two throughout)
I'd say the best thing you could do is find someone who shares your goals and workout together. There's nothing like the feeling of knowing you're letting a friend down by skipping a workout. I'm sure you can find someone to workout with you.

mr stroke

joeblackisback said:

your not doing it long enough? try going 6 days a week, insted of maybe 3-4??? the only thing that worked for me is getting up and doing it before work everyday for a couple of years. After that your body will become addicted to it. I am now to a point(after 5 years of working out 6 days a week) where not working out gives me withdrawls, I feel tierd and moody all day.

Mr.City

First of HIIT today. I stopped after the 15 min mark because I started to have trouble breathing. I got hit with a strong wave of nausea after I stopped, but other than that, I don't feel completely exhausted. Is this normal?

mr stroke

Mr.City said:
First of HIIT today. I stopped after the 15 min mark because I started to have trouble breathing. I got hit with a strong wave of nausea after I stopped, but other than that, I don't feel completely exhausted. Is this normal?

You shouldn't have stopped. if possible its always best to do HIIT with another person, its just like football practice or boot camp, when you have somebody pushing you and yelling at you its much easier. you should feel like your going to throw up and die :)
best way to do HIIT is set up a time limit, that way you don't stop because you think your tierd.

Mr.City

I probably should asked this earlier,but what exactly is the run/jog ratio on HIIT? Is it 30 secs of light jogging followed by 30 seconds of intense sprinting?

Mr.City said:
I probably should asked this earlier,but what exactly is the run/jog ratio on HIIT? Is it 30 secs of light jogging followed by 30 seconds of intense sprinting?

That's what others have said in this thread. Personally, I think that that's far too much intense sprinting. If I can sprint 40 yards in 6 seconds [and that's probably being pessimistic], then 30 seconds would be 200 yards. If you can run 15 200 yard sprints in 15 minutes, then you should check out the olympic trials.

Here's what I've done: Mark out 60 yards or so. Sprint down one way, and then walk back the other. Repeat ten or so times, as you're able and willing. As your conditioning improves, you can make things more interesting--doing it on a hill, doing walking lunges immediately after the sprint, carrying things during the walking/jogging portion, etc.

Soka said:

These are perfect for squatting and deadlifting. All the powerlifters that I know that hold world records recommend these:

chuck0h.jpg

Mr.City said:

I think a 1:2 ratio is usually the norm for someone that is already fit. I started with a 1:3 ratio. I just loaded up a 10 sec music clip and a 30 sec music clip onto my iPod and then put that playlist on repeat.

joeblackisback said:

I feel like the key is to learn to love the experience of lifting. If hitting a certain bodyweight or strength level is your goal, like losing your 20 pounds, then it's easy to quit when you reach that goal. Or you get stuck changing the goal and telling yourself it's the "new real" goal you had all along.

When you're focused on the experience of the workouts, doing the workouts themselves becomes your motivation. It's like it's built-in.

And a little insecurity from your childhood never hurt anyone. :D

How important is working out in the morning?? I can't seem to drag myself out of bed early enough some days to work out, and then I end up feeling guilty all day for not getting my ass in gear....I assume working out later in the day is better than no work out at all...

Squall5042 said:
How important is working out in the morning?? I can't seem to drag myself out of bed early enough some days to work out, and then I end up feeling guilty all day for not getting my ass in gear....I assume working out later in the day is better than no work out at all...
The only thing that makes a difference in the time of day is that you don't go to bed right after a workout. You need a few hours before bed to get your nutrition and let your body relax.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
When you're focused on the experience of the workouts, doing the workouts themselves becomes your motivation. It's like it's built-in.

And a little insecurity from your childhood never hurt anyone. :D
I like to think of that dude with the smirk that I hate so much. Or the guy at work whose ass you want to kick inside out. There's always motivation. If not, create it. Pretend Sammy called you a bloody asshole full of shit, and think of his face in front of you while you lift. Pretend he spit in your face everytime you start a rep.

Trust me, you'll fuck those weights up, and feel so good afterwards.

Disclaimer: Don't ever scream "ARGHH TAKE THIS SAMMY YOU BITCH" out loud. Everyone will stop and look at you :lol

Off campus now, back at home. Signed up for a $100 3-month summer pass at a gym in town. Pricey, but it's very close to home which is nice. Good equipment too, better than the crap that was falling apart at my gym back on campus.

So, I'm doing something like a Monday, Wednesday, Friday full-body lifting routine at the gym, and then the rest of the week is a mix of mowing my 1 acre yard (has to be completely mowed every ~5 days I'd say), and having 1-2 two hour sessions of tennis with a friend, and I leave Sundays as a day off. I haven't felt any fatigue or issues yet, although I do worry that I'm over working my legs and my squats will suffer from it. I'll just have to play it by ear; if I start to notice issues with my legs, I'll remove lunges, and then if need be, squats, from my Wednesday routine, since those are the real leg killers I have.

My girlfriend convinced me to go on a double date with another couple last night, at the other couple's house. We baked double-chocolate chocolate chip cookies. Four fucking dozen, and my to appease my girlfriend I had to down several. Occasions like this make me consider going to my local high school to add in some HIIT to my weekly routine.

Girls ruin me, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom