• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been snacking on a box of high-fiber cereal all day, and I am now realizing I've eaten half the box. Is there such a thing as getting too much fiber?

beelzebozo said:

The Target brand stuff (Archer Farms). It's soooo good!

2di3xar.jpg
10e216a.png

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I have been snacking on a box of high-fiber cereal all day, and I am now realizing I've eaten half the box. Is there such a thing as getting too much fiber?
I've been wondering about this too. Also, what can you do about the high protein diet making you gassy?

Chichikov

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You just snacked on about 60g of sugar; I don’t think you need to worry about the fiber.
Don’t get me wrong, sugar is not ZOMG BAD DON’T TOUCH, but IIRC you’re trying to lose weight, if you do, I suggest you find better things to snack on.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I've been wondering about this too. Also, what can you do about the high protein diet making you gassy?
Eat oatmeal.
A bowl of it for breakfast and you’ll be able to set a clock on your bowel movements.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So that's a good carb value?

Its pretty high for a single serving. I'm mainly thinking about mixing up my breakfasts with a bowl of that instead of eating oatmeal all the time. But Chichikov is right about the high Sugar levels.

Captain Glanton said:
I feel like the key is to learn to love the experience of lifting. If hitting a certain bodyweight or strength level is your goal, like losing your 20 pounds, then it's easy to quit when you reach that goal. Or you get stuck changing the goal and telling yourself it's the "new real" goal you had all along.

When you're focused on the experience of the workouts, doing the workouts themselves becomes your motivation. It's like it's built-in.

And a little insecurity from your childhood never hurt anyone. :D

yeah, generally I've set goals. lose X amount of weight, put on X amount of muscle, etc... What always ends up getting me is that while I like having "me" time, lifting alone every day gets old for me. I have had my best results working out at a shitty YMCA with other guys my age who I could shoot the shit with.

Since moving to DC, there are very few people I know near enough to me to want to go to the same gym, and even fewer people who have the same schedule.

So... I have to learn to love it, huh. Any tips on that, or is that just supposed to happen? :D

Shoteh Fock Op's cereal gets 104% of its calories from carbs?! That's a lot of sugar, all right.

joeblackisback said:
yeah, generally I've set goals. lose X amount of weight, put on X amount of muscle, etc... What always ends up getting me is that while I like having "me" time, lifting alone every day gets old for me. I have had my best results working out at a shitty YMCA with other guys my age who I could shoot the shit with.

Since moving to DC, there are very few people I know near enough to me to want to go to the same gym, and even fewer people who have the same schedule.

So... I have to learn to love it, huh. Any tips on that, or is that just supposed to happen? :D

If you're like me and you have a purely intellectual job, and you work around people who go to greath lengths to avoid unpleasant activities, it helps to remind yourself that you're seeking out experiences--painful things like the exercises we post about here--that most modern Americans abhor and define as uncivilized. For me, to do things that lead to screaming and, just maybe, banging my head against a metal post to get psyched up, is to embrace and celebrate being different from the people around me. In a world of Wii Fit and "gyms" that ban grunting and chalk, to quote the brilliant film Serenity, "I aim to misbehave."

Mr.City

Captain Glanton said:
Shoteh Fock Op's cereal gets 104% of its calories from carbs?! That's a lot of sugar, all right.

If you're like me and you have a purely intellectual job, and you work around people who go to greath lengths to avoid unpleasant activities, it helps to remind yourself that you're seeking out experiences--painful things like the exercises we post about here--that most modern Americans abhor and define as uncivilized. For me, to do things that lead to screaming and, just maybe, banging my head against a metal post to get psyched up, is to embrace and celebrate being different from the people around me. In a world of Wii Fit and "gyms" that ban grunting and chalk, to quote the brilliant film Serenity, "I aim to misbehave."

Very inspirational, Glaton

Captain Glanton said:

true enough, man. thanks.

Ace 8095

Captain Glanton said:
Preach it man. I lift for three reasons, to be strong, to be big, and to be different.

Also accept my xbl friend request. You’re the kind of guy I would like to have on my team.

Boogie

Captain Glanton said:
I feel like the key is to learn to love the experience of lifting. If hitting a certain bodyweight or strength level is your goal, like losing your 20 pounds, then it's easy to quit when you reach that goal. Or you get stuck changing the goal and telling yourself it's the "new real" goal you had all along.

When you're focused on the experience of the workouts, doing the workouts themselves becomes your motivation. It's like it's built-in.

And a little insecurity from your childhood never hurt anyone. :D

My motivation these days is pretty simple. Even beyond the enjoyment I get out of training, and martial arts, I also have to train in preparation of the day that might come when I have to arrest some sh*thead who doesn't want to go down without a fight.

Ace 8095 said:
Preach it man. I lift for three reasons, to be strong, to be big, and to be different.

Also accept my xbl friend request. You’re the kind of guy I would like to have on my team.
:lol Will do, but you'll have to wait until I get home again.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I tend to like to use the "Weighlifting/Working Out/Jogging" is a lifestyle (as pretentious as that may sound). Its as important as showering, brushing your teeth, eating. You work it in as part of your life in that way and you'll be more into it as a way to live healthy instead of purely goal oriented.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Captain Glanton said:

lol i hear ya.

I don't like to admit it, but the main reason i'm lifing alot now and trying to get into shape is because i'm afraid of becoming that atypical engineer type like my uncles.

deadbeef

BlueTsunami said:
I tend to like to use the "Weighlifting/Working Out/Jogging" is a lifestyle (as pretentious as that may sound). Its as important as showering, brushing your teeth, eating. You work it in as part of your life in that way and you'll be more into it as a way to live healthy instead of purely goal oriented.

Agreed. I've been doing it for so long that it just seems natural and I don't really give it as much thought as I used to. But if I don't get a workout in for a week or so, if I'm real busy at work or whatever, then I start to feel really crappy.

aznpxdd

Alright guys, so recently I've been getting more serious about working out/exercising since I got a new bench and some weights. Doing mostly benching, curls, dumbbells flyes (incline & flat) and some leg lifting. I'm currently 6'1" and ~180 pounds, so should I do cardio along with my lifting? Or will I lose too much muscle if I do cardio too.

Chichikov

aznpxdd said:
Alright guys, so recently I've been getting more serious about working out/exercising since I got a new bench and some weights. Doing mostly benching, curls, dumbbells flyes (incline & flat) and some leg lifting. I'm currently 6'1" and ~180 pounds, so should I do cardio along with my lifting? Or will I lose too much muscle if I do cardio too.
Cardio does not lose you muscles, you may not have enough calorie intake to accommodate both weight training and cardio, but that's a different story.

I never post in this thread, but I sure as hell read it quite a bit. I just have to say it's been quite the motivational tool. Every time I come in and read a few posts I'm ready to tackle my next work out.

Down about 22 lbs and I'm the strongest I've ever been in my life. It's a great feeling. My lifestyle has changed quite a bit, and it's only been a couple of months. Look forward to work outs, love how I feel afterward. I look at the foods I eat a lot differently now. It's great.

I've been a bit out of the loop since I had to help my family move to Arizona, and I don't have a membership to any gym out here. Going to try and get back into gear tomorrow. If I can't get the gym thing going I'll at least go back into my cardio groove and just work with body weight exercises till I get settled in a gym. Hopefully the Y around here is pretty decent, as it's pretty close to where I'm staying.

Anyway yeah, just thought I'd poke at this thread. It's been a great help.

YYZ

I don't know if this is the right thread, but something's wrong with me.

Since Saturday, I've been feeling very lethargic during the day and I have almost ZERO appetite, wtf. I have to force myself to eat something for breakfast, snack, and dinner (my appetite has gone down a lot, I do get hungry if I don't eat for a long time). I don't know if it's a somewhat irregular sleep schedule during that time or over exhaustion or what. I had a full sleep last night and today I had the same symptoms.

Strange thing is I don't feel "sick", just crappy. I'm not coughing or sneezing or dying.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
YYZ said:

Since Saturday, I've been feeling very lethargic during the day and I have almost ZERO appetite, wtf. I have to force myself to eat something for breakfast, snack, and dinner (my appetite has gone down a lot, I do get hungry if I don't eat for a long time). I don't know if it's a somewhat irregular sleep schedule during that time or over exhaustion or what. I had a full sleep last night and today I had the same symptoms.

Strange thing is I don't feel "sick", just crappy. I'm not coughing or sneezing or dying.

Any sign of depression or stress?

Rlan

I'm currently sitting at about 95kg - a few years ago I was 85. I've been going to the Gym a few days a week for the past months but I've not really changed my diet.

Worst foods are the Energy Drinks and Iced Coffee I drink fairly regularly. Trying to cut down on that shit - you get withdrawals though :(

And amping up my amount of times I go to the Gym. I do about 20 minutes of running, then 30 minutes of general weights (always the "Ab" one and the "Pull Down" weights), and then 5 minutes on the Rowing Machine, and then sit in the sauna for 5 minutes.

It's so difficult sometimes - I'm so bloody hungry some days that I can't consentrate. I try and fill it with Water or Apples / Bananas but never does any good :\

I'm 6ft 1" and 68kgs, I'm still skinny but not as bad as I used to be! (57 was my lightest)

My target is 73kgs and see how I look, but I really want to build my chest and arms. I've been going to the gym for a while, and my shoulders and back have built up so shirts hang better. I really want basic exercises for my chest and arms, any ideas?

I cycle to work every day and play football once or twice a week so I thiny my cardio is fine, just a rudimentary weight routine to help.

travisbickle said:
I'm 6ft 1" and 68kgs, I'm still skinny but not as bad as I used to be! (57 was my lightest)

My target is 73kgs and see how I look, but I really want to build my chest and arms. I've been going to the gym for a while, and my shoulders and back have built up so shirts hang better. I really want basic exercises for my chest and arms, any ideas?

I cycle to work every day and play football once or twice a week so I thiny my cardio is fine, just a rudimentary weight routine to help.

What are you doing for your legs? Really, at your weight, the best things you could do for your chest are barbell/dumbbell bench press and dips. For your arms...just work everything else hard and you should be fine. I'd recommend pull-ups and barbell rows, but throw in some barbell curls at the end if you want.

More important, is what you're doing for your legs/back.

Another note: I didn't get to workout all last week because I got sick early in the week and I had a firefighter physical training orientation as well (basically an aptitude test). I didn't get to eat as well as I normally do. When I went back to training on Monday, I was ok on the squat, but my upper body strength had decreased. In one weeks time. Most likely because of inadequate rest the week before and dietary changes. DIET IS IMPORTANT. Had to reduce almost 10 lbs on the bench what I normally do.

Then again, I am somewhat of an ectomorph, which blows.

YYZ said:

Could it be stress and overwork?

Rlan said:
I'm currently sitting at about 95kg - a few years ago I was 85. I've been going to the Gym a few days a week for the past months but I've not really changed my diet.

Worst foods are the Energy Drinks and Iced Coffee I drink fairly regularly. Trying to cut down on that shit - you get withdrawals though :(

And amping up my amount of times I go to the Gym. I do about 20 minutes of running, then 30 minutes of general weights (always the "Ab" one and the "Pull Down" weights), and then 5 minutes on the Rowing Machine, and then sit in the sauna for 5 minutes.

It's so difficult sometimes - I'm so bloody hungry some days that I can't consentrate. I try and fill it with Water or Apples / Bananas but never does any good :\
If you are trying to get more fit, you shouldn't let your body be so hungry. It's good that you're sticking to healthy food, but you have to eat enough food and get yourself enough calories for your body to repair itself from the stress of each day's exercise. For most people who exercise regularly, that's going to mean somewhere around 2500 calories. Starving yourself to lose weight doesn't work in the long term.

Doing some running at the gym every day is fine. For the weights portion, I would strongly suggest that you look over the workouts posted in last few hundred posts, and the exercises listed in the OP and in those workouts. They will be a lot more effective than what you're doing now.

YYZ said:

Sounds like me when I had mono. Check for lumps around your neck/throat (it was the first sign I had before I started being overly tired and losing my appetite). Visit your doctor and see what they say, there's no cure for mono, all you can do is rest, but make sure you eat. I lost almost 10lbs in 2 weeks of having mono, and I did everything in my power to eat as much as I could. Also, your appendix may be moderately swollen from the mono, so avoid anything that might put pressure on it.

Of course, that's all assuming you have mono. Might be something else entirely.

YYZ

Captain Glanton said:
Could it be stress and overwork?
no I haven't started working yet, I've been getting plenty of sleep (I had an all-nighter for an exam 10 days ago). Maybe I could have contracted it during that exam day when my immune system was most vulnerable. And I have no reason to be upset or depressed for the person who asked. I last worked out on Wednesday, then I had a hard cardio session (for me) on Friday. Saturday was ok, I felt normal I think, but Sunday I really felt like crap. It was worst on Sunday, I thought it was over exhaustion but since then I haven't felt "normal" although they weren't as bad as Sunday. Yesterday I had literally zero appetite, I had a small breakfast and I ate almost nothing despite walking around the city for many hours and then watching a movie.

I seriously hope it's not mono, that would sideline me for a while and I rarely get sick. I don't see or feel any lumps around my neck/throat and spleen. I guess I have to ask a doctor to make sure, goddamnit.

I still have the energy to do things, but I don't want to, I don't have any alertness, feels like I'm a quasi-zombie.

YYZ said:
I seriously hope it's not mono, that would sideline me for a while and I rarely get sick. I don't see or feel any lumps around my neck/throat and spleen. I guess I have to ask a doctor to make sure, goddamnit.

I still have the energy to do things, but I don't want to, I don't have any alertness, feels like I'm a quasi-zombie.

I was training with ROTC at the time I was diagnosed with mono. I felt moderately tired but kept participating, and one day I felt like I was about to black out. That's when I finally forced myself to the campus doctor. I ended up needing to take nearly a full month off from any weight lifting or cardio, which meant I lost some muscle mass and just in general it was a bitch to get back into things, but trust me, it's worth it to make that sacrifice if need be and not push yourself, you will do more harm than good.

Again, it might not be mono, but if it is, you might also become temporarily slightly anemic (aka low iron levels) for a while. A simple fix is taking a multi-vitamin if you aren't already, and if you are, eat raisins. Small and tasty, cheap, and relatively high in iron for how few calories/how little filling they are. I munched on those for weeks.

Ace 8095

Well today was my introduction of power cleans into my workout after correcting my form, and they were AWESOME. At one point I was actually screaming I had so much energy. Cleans fatigue me greatly, but they are by far the most rewarding exercise I've done. I look forward to doing them again on Monday. Also my standing press workout sucked today. I was going for 3 sets of 5 but I only managed 5, 4, 3. Hopefully I will be able to get all 5 reps on Monday.

D

Deleted member 17693

Unconfirmed Member
What's the least fattening alcoholic beverage one can drink while dieting? I'm trying to get fitter but I don't think I can give up alcohol. :(

Slo

YYZ said:

I've been feeling the same way lately, but I've been consciously trying to lose weight. I think my problem is generally that my body is stressed from a) overtraining b) underfeeding and c) supplying blood to my epically large cock. Those three seem to form the perfect storm.

What I would do if I were you would be to take a small vacation from the weights, and eat at maintenance levels.

Slo

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
What's the least fattening alcoholic beverage one can drink while dieting? I'm trying to get fitter but I don't think I can give up alcohol. :(

The one with the least calories, obviously. But the problem with alcohol is that your liver has to process it, and while it's doing that it can't do it's other job of helping you break down fat. While you have alcohol in your system, your fat loss will stall for however many hours it takes to shed it from your system.

Ace 8095 said:
Well today was my introduction of power cleans into my workout after correcting my form, and they were AWESOME. At one point I was actually screaming I had so much energy. Cleans fatigue me greatly, but they are by far the most rewarding exercise I've done. I look forward to doing them again on Monday. Also my standing press workout sucked today. I was going for 3 sets of 5 but I only managed 5, 4, 3. Hopefully I will be able to get all 5 reps on Monday.

Fuck yeah. I love power cleans.

Chichikov

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I would not worry about it too much.
Beer has about many calories as orange juice, and while liquor has quite a lot of calories in it, you don’t really drink enough volume of it to make dent in your diet.
Now don’t me wrong, from a pure health perspective neither is exactly health food, but you can definitely lose weight while indulging this vice.
I know I do.

If you want to be technical about calories, it’s usually girly drinks > beer > shots.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mr. Snrub said:
Fuck yeah. I love power cleans.

Is there something special i should be doing when doing power cleans.

I like doing them too, but they tire me out...and fast. They can really kill my momentum.

Chichikov

Sol.. said:

I like doing them too, but they tire me out...and fast. They can really kill my momentum.
I obviously don’t know if you’re doing it wrong without watching you.
But getting tired is a well known side effect of the power clean, if anything, it means you’re doing it right ;).

Sol.. said:

Power Cleans should wipe you out. They are one of the most activated exercises. There is a large range of movement involving a lot of muscles. One thing I could suggest is don't go too high on reps. I wouldn't suggest doing more than 8 reps at any weight.

BigGreenMat said:
Power Cleans should wipe you out. They are one of the most activated exercises. There is a large range of movement involving a lot of muscles. One thing I could suggest is don't go too high on reps. I wouldn't suggest doing more than 8 reps at any weight.

Yeah, unless you're doing it as part of a conditioning routine, I personally wouldn't go above 5 reps, and even that's pushing it. I stick to 3. Power cleans are supposed to develop power, and that's best trained in lower rep ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom