• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've added a section for Rippetoe to the OP with a basic description and some links and credits. If any of you guys who have actually used it [I have not] want to write up some sample schedules and PM them to me somehow, or post them here, I'll gladly copy them into the OP.

Amon37 said:
I have a question about the time I want/have to work out.

Usually I get home from work and get done with dinner at about 6:00pm. My wife goes to bed a 7:00pm and I usually go to bed about 9:30pm-10:00pm

Is it ok to do a workout(mostly cardio and other at home exercises with no gym equip) in between 7:00pm and 8:00 then go to bed at 9:30pm-10:00pm and should I eat anything else in between workout over and going to bed?

I think that you will need more than 1.5 hours between your workout and bedtime. Your body needs to wind down. Cardio isn't as demanding food-wise as resistance training, but I'd think that you'll need to eat at least one good meal, an hour after you exercise, plus drink a few glasses of water, and then give all that another hour and a half or two hours to digest before you go to bed. I sometimes get home from the gym at 7:30, but I might go to bed at 12 or later.

pete914 said:
Just thought I'd introduce myself in this thread- Been waiting on approval for 5+ months and wanted to post in this thread many times. Overall I'm impressed with most of the advice seeing that this is primarily a videogame forum, and I'm glad to see some T-Nation readers here. Currently I run a modified 5x5 kind of routine, where as I progress on some exercises I add weight, others additional reps, and others again additional sets. It keeps things fresh and enjoyable, which I think is key for sticking with working out over long periods of time. I think anything you like that you can do consistantly is better than any "super effective" cookie cutter routine that you despise, causing low effort/intensity and even quitting.

Anyways, currently running a slightly lighter overall workout because I had some back issues- therefore no squats, DL's, Pendlay Rows, or standing overhead presses, probably through the end of the year. Basically my overall strategy is putting compound movements at the beginning of the workout, then finishing with isolation.

And I deserve any "TLDNR" posts, didn't mean to write so much.

First, 5 X 5 is a great philosophy to follow. I've done a lot of that myself. Although I think that for newcomers [your first few years] it's crucial to have a gameplan and to stick to it pretty religiously, the last few weeks I found that I had hit a rut, and I've started to be more plastic in my workouts. I have a plan of what bodyparts to hit and I stick to it, but I wait until I get to the gym and see what exercsies strike my fancy. The danger of this is that it can lead to complacency; you have to make sure you don't make this an excuse to skip the more painful exercises one week, and then the next, and then the next. But I personally have found it liberating.

Back problems suck donkey balls. I would have said you need to add more leg work, but that's tough to do with back problems. You might change your lunges to walking lunges, or what I call "striders": I do walking lunges without ever bringing my feet togther; I just go from one stride right into the next. Do that across the gym with 100lb DB'es, and you have a great workout. Also, I might try the Ninja Warrior pullups.

Cyan

Banned
Question for the fitness people (and apologies if this has already been answered):

I want to restart my lifting regimen (my apartment's weight room is re-opening this weekend), but people keep telling me that if you do too much cardio, you won't get much benefit from lifting. Is this true? I do about two miles of running a day, and really enjoy it. Would that have an impact on my results from lifting?

pete914

Cyan said:
Question for the fitness people (and apologies if this has already been answered):

I want to restart my lifting regimen (my apartment's weight room is re-opening this weekend), but people keep telling me that if you do too much cardio, you won't get much benefit from lifting. Is this true? I do about two miles of running a day, and really enjoy it. Would that have an impact on my results from lifting?

It's all energy balance. Remember, if Energy in= Energy out, you will likely not make very good gains. There are exceptions, but in general you need a energy surplus. So yes, doing cardio will increase your energy used, and you have to adjust your energy in to compensate. You can still make strength gains, not to mention you're getting the heart benefits of cardio, but if you want to make lean mass gains you will have to increase your food intake to compensate for your running.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Question can you get the same squatting effects on a smith machine that regular squats? Because I go on my tippy toes whenever I try to do regular squat which is bad.

Chichikov

Cyan said:

Depends on what you mean by benefit.
True, it’s harder to bulk up if you’re doing lots of cardio, but strength training is still very beneficial.
Plus, 2 miles a day is not a lot of cardio, you can most definitely increase your muscle mass with that amount of running.
And as far as general health go, it’s always a good idea to do some cardio.

Chichikov

Qwerty710710 said:
Question can you get the same squatting effects on a smith machine that regular squats? Because I go on my tippy toes whenever I try to do regular squat which is bad.
Not really.
Granted, I strongly believe you can get an effective workout from pretty much anything, smith machine included.
But in order to get the benefits of a full squat, you'll need to compliment your smith machine squats with other exercises.
That being said, doing less effective exercises is better than hurting yourself, so if you absolutely can't do a squat safely, you might as well use it.
But I would strongly recommend you read Rippetoe's Starting Strength (that has been already mentioned numerous times in this thread).
It will teach you how to squat properly.
I guarantee it.

Qwerty710710 said:

Never ever use the Sissy machine.

Learning to squat is hard. Reading Rippetoe's book, checking out www.t-nation.com for articles, things like that will help, but you have to learn by doing it. Find someone at your gym who squats well and ask them for some pointers, too. If they're not an asshole, they will probably help you. So few people even want to do them that those who do it well are more likely to help each other out.

Also, if you're lurching forward at the bottom of the movement, that means that you're squatting down too much, and you want to focus more on squatting back [told ya it's complicated :D ]. My first movement in a squat is popping my hips back; doing this will then force your body down, and everything else follows from that.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
Never ever use the Sissy machine.
I know you're probably half joking, but I'm really not a fan of the purist approach when it comes to exercising.
For a beginner, the most important things are to avoid injury and remain motivated.
Calling a person's routines useless and moving him into more complicated drills can be in many cases detrimental to his long term fitness regime (I'm not saying you are doing it, but I've seen it many times in my gym and on the internet).

Now don't me wrong, I'm not a fan of this machine, but you can get a good workout out of it, probably not optimal, but there are worse things in life than having a non optimal workout.
In fact, there some particular cases (mainly injury recovery) that it can be pretty useful.
that being said, I would imagine that squatting on a smith machine can introduce some pretty bad habits into your form, so I would not recommend doing it.

APF

Smith machines can cause RSI to the knees pretty easily. Most machines are bad for beginners for precisely this reason; at least experienced trainees can tell what the optimal joint/etc positioning is for them.

Chichikov said:
I know you're probably half joking, but I'm really not a fan of the purist approach when it comes to exercising.
For a beginner, the most important things are to avoid injury and remain motivated.
Calling a person's routines useless and moving him into more complicated drills can be in many cases detrimental to his long term fitness regime (I'm not saying you are doing it, but I've seen it many times in my gym and on the internet).

Now don't me wrong, I'm not a fan of this machine, but you can get a good workout out of it, probably not optimal, but there are worse things in life than having a non optimal workout.
In fact, there some particular cases (mainly injury recovery) that it can be pretty useful.
that being said, I would imagine that squatting on a smith machine can introduce some pretty bad habits into your form, so I would not recommend doing it.

Well, I am half joking, in that I know a few very serious, accomplished people who use the Smith machine. It can be useful for front squat development, actually. And I don't mean to 'come down' on anyone and be pushy.

But I really do believe that anyone learning to do this stuff should stear clear of the Smith machine. It does a lot of the work for you--it keeps the weight on track for you, and the thing actually does part of the lifting for you, too. When you're starting out, those are the crucial things for you to learn to do yourself. If you're struggling to learn to squat properly, you should definitely use a bare bar, or do bodyweight, to learn the technique, but using the Smith machine won't help you learn the technique.

If someone were learning how to fight, I wouldn't just throw them in a ring with no padding, but on the other hand, I wouldn't have them playing Virtua Fighter, either.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Holy shit, I just created the absolute best tasting post-workout drink by sheer dumb luck.

Ingredients:
2 scoops of Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 cup of cold water
1/2 cup of V8 Fusion Strawberry Banana
1/2 cup of V8 Fusion Pomegranate Blueberry
1/2 frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries

Absolutely delicious. In fact, it is one of the best tasting drinks I've ever had. And in terms of nutrition, it is brilliant for after lifting weights.

You've got:
1. High quality, slow release protein. The Syntha has a variety of whey, casein, and egg.
2. A mixture of various simple carbs to replenish glycogen. But a little fiber in the whole fruit to keep things from digesting too fast.
3. A whole bunch of anti-oxidants and phyto-nutrients that improve general health.
4. Tastes damn delicious.

pete914

I don't mean to hate, but most of the carb sources there are probably fructose, which (if I remember correctly from when I actually researched these things) replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. That would be why most post workout pre-mixes focus on dextrose, maltodextrin, and to a lesser extent waxy maize- they convert to glucose faster (except for dextrose- it is straight glucose to start) and replace muscle glycogen.

Like I said, that's from my younger days of actually reading about this stuff, and the reason I don't bother anymore is because some of these details don't seem to matter much in the grand scheme. So yeah, kind of pointless post +1

Except that you want fast-release protein, not slow-release, after your workout. That shake looks fine, but I'd think you'd be better off doing it in the morning.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Captain Glanton said:
Except that you want fast-release protein, not slow-release, after your workout. That shake looks fine, but I'd think you'd be better off doing it in the morning.

I meant to say blend of fast and slow release. It has a variety of whey and casein, and egg proteins blended together.

Agreed that fast acting is best after workout, but it's also good to have slow release protein to keep things well supplied throughout the day.

I don't mean to hate, but most of the carb sources there are probably fructose, which (if I remember correctly from when I actually researched these things) replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen.

This is correct. In fact, I think I harped on this too many times on neo-gaf many, many months ago.

But with fruit, it's going to be relatively few calories as fructose.

pete914

Captain Glanton said:
But I really do believe that anyone learning to do this stuff should stear clear of the Smith machine. It does a lot of the work for you--it keeps the weight on track for you, and the thing actually does part of the lifting for you, too. When you're starting out, those are the crucial things for you to learn to do yourself. If you're struggling to learn to squat properly, you should definitely use a bare bar, or do bodyweight, to learn the technique, but using the Smith machine won't help you learn the technique.

If someone were learning how to fight, I wouldn't just throw them in a ring with no padding, but on the other hand, I wouldn't have them playing Virtua Fighter, either.

Not to mention the improper bar motion of the Smith machine- in a proper squat the bar should move slightly diagonally backwards and down, not directly down. The fixed (and non-natural) motion of the SM will likely cause more injuries than it will prevent.

I'm not going to tell some chick she should be close grip bench pressing instead of doing tricep kickbacks because she's missing out on major mass gains, but I wouldn't recommend the SM for much at all. Mayyyybe front squats or lunges, but only if you knew how to do freeweight ones in the first place.

Edit: Cap Glanton, you might want to link last week's T-Nation article on carb cycling for idiots to the OP. I think it's one of the best simplified articles I've seen on the subject, and it would definitely be the article I would point someone to who is looking to build a "lowish" carb diet. http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1825995&cr=

The best use for the Smith Machine:

You can use it to work on your explosion and power by 'throwing' the bar up at the end of a press and catching it on the way down. Try that with free weights, and you'll make a dentist veeeeery happy.

I'll link to the T-Nation article. I've been trying not to sound like a pimp for them, but no other site compares. Edit: Done.

Guy

I torn 2 ligaments of my left knee 3 months ago, been in crotch for some times. While doing nothing and being depressed I took almost 20 ponds. I'll need surgery but not before April since I have school and everything. I can't jog or run, play any sports like soccer or whatever, but I want to lose those 20 ponds fast. I heard about HIIT training, but I'm not sure what a good program would be. Problem is, at the gym where I go I can't use a bike more than 30 minutes straight. What would you guys suggest ? It's winter here I can't really go out and ride a bike.

pete914

Guy said:
I torn 2 ligaments of my left knee 3 months ago, been in crotch for some times. While doing nothing and being depressed I took almost 20 ponds. I'll need surgery but not before April since I have school and everything. I can't jog or run, play any sports like soccer or whatever, but I want to lose those 20 ponds fast. I heard about HIIT training, but I'm not sure what a good program would be. Problem is, at the gym where I go I can't use a bike more than 30 minutes straight. What would you guys suggest ? It's winter here I can't really go out and ride a bike.

Well, you could easily get an HIIT workout done in 30 minutes. Example:

3 Minutes Warm up 60% Max HR
1 Minute 80%
1 Min 60%
2 Min 80%
1 Min 60%
1 Min 90%
1 Min 60%
1 Min 95%
1 Min 60%
1 Min 95%
1 Min 60%
1 Min 95%
3 Min Cool Down 50%

18 Minutes total. If you don't know your max heart rate, as long as you are less than 30 years old, using 200 beats per minute as 100% is a ballpark estimate. This puts your 60% work at around 120 BPM, which is pretty low, and is your recovery/break time. There are tons of ways to work interval training- you might find you prefer 30 second intervals insteat of 60, but the principle remains the same.

Edit: Remember though, weight (or specifically, fat) loss is mostly determined by diet. The link I posted a few posts up could give you some decent guidelines.

pete914

No pictures of Isabel? Fail. :p I've got a lot of respect for Layne in general, although he's got way too much of a "nice guy" look to pull off that sneer he uses when posing sometimes.

Glanton do you know Layne from "real life" or just through BB.com? I ask because I'm pretty sure Layne is in the MI area, and I am as well.

pete914 said:
No pictures of Isabel? Fail. :p I've got a lot of respect for Layne in general, although he's got way too much of a "nice guy" look to pull off that sneer he uses when posing sometimes.

Glanton do you know Layne from "real life" or just through BB.com? I ask because I'm pretty sure Layne is in the MI area, and I am as well.

We go to the same gym. We're both PhDs at the U of Illinois--although in very different departments. He is nice, but he's the craziest nice guy you'll ever meet.

There's a pic of Izzy on T-Nation, but you'll have to find it yourself. :D

Edit: Ninja Warrior pullups are pullups done from a small, flat surface and not a regular pullup bar, like when they have to cross that ledge in Ninja Warrior. I do them hanging from the overhead bar that joins the two sides of a pulley station, and I keep my fingers on the flat top of the bar [not letting them curl across the front]. Very intense, and very tough on the forearms.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Captain Glanton said:
Do that across the gym with 100lb DB'es, and you have a great workout. Also, I might try the Ninja Warrior pullups.

What's ninja warrior pullups?

pete914

Captain Glanton said:
We go to the same gym. We're both PhDs at the U of Illinois--although in very different departments. He is nice, but he's the craziest nice guy you'll ever meet.

There's a pic of Izzy on T-Nation, but you'll have to find it yourself. :D

I've seen them on the BB.com summaries of his competitions, I was just joking around. I can understand you not wanting to say over the net, but where do you guys work out?

mckmas8808 said:
What's ninja warrior pullups?

A name I made up for doing pullups on a ledge- the main difference from a regular one is that you're holding up your body with your fingers, your hands are bent at a 90 degree angle. The name was inspired by the show, of course.

pete914 said:
I've seen them on the BB.com summaries of his competitions, I was just joking around. I can understand you not wanting to say over the net, but where do you guys work out?

It's just a local Gold's--the best option in a town without any good ones. In fact, they have recently started a new wave of crackdowns on people who "make noise" while they exercise, they're building a new "women only" exercise room, they're pushing the personal trainers extra hard for the "quick results you deserve," they've put up new banners of guys doing aerobics and girls doing half-squats with EZ curl bars [!?], and they've moved the balance balls and < 5lb dumbbells out of the corner into the center space of the whole gym.

Ain't life grand?

pete914

Captain Glanton said:
It's just a local Gold's--the best option in a town without any good ones. In fact, they have recently started a new wave of crackdowns on people who "make noise" while they exercise, they're building a new "women only" exercise room, they're pushing the personal trainers extra hard for the "quick results you deserve," they've put up new banners of guys doing aerobics and girls doing half-squats with EZ curl bars [!?], and they've moved the balance balls and < 5lb dumbbells out of the corner into the center space of the whole gym.

Ain't life grand?

The last gym I was a member of had a separate women's section. It wasn't really that big of a deal to me, there weren't many lookers anyways. I'm thinking about moving over to a Lifetime Fitness just for the pool, and I'm scared of the lameness that might be there. Very scared.

pete914 said:
The last gym I was a member of had a separate women's section. It wasn't really that big of a deal to me, there weren't many lookers anyways. I'm thinking about moving over to a Lifetime Fitness just for the pool, and I'm scared of the lameness that might be there. Very scared.

Don't do it! Be strong! Don't go over to the free donut side!

Did the following workout tonight. This is an avanced workout. Don't try it unless you're ready. Or ready to throw up in your mouth at the end, like I did.

1) Power Clean into a Front Squat [all one motion]
4 sets of 4-5 reps, with Olympic plates
2 sets @ 177 lbs, 2 sets @ 197 lbs

2) Do all of these back to back to back to back, A -> D.
4 sets of the entire cycle
A) Overhead BB Press, 225 lbs X 5 reps
B) Dips X 10
C) Pullups, palms facing in, X 6
D) Pullups, wide grip, suppinated grip, X 5

Captain Glanton said:

Are you doing this, like a full clean? Or power cleaning it, then front squatting?

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
In fact, they have recently started a new wave of crackdowns on people who "make noise" while they exercise
are you fucking kidding me?

Captain Glanton said:
hmmmm, I'm all for full range of motions exercises, but doesn't this mean doing a low weight front squat while having a much harder time maintaining its form?
Wouldn't you be better served doing the two separated?

Chichikov said:

hmmmm, I'm all for full range of motions exercises, but doesn't this mean doing a low weight front squat while having a much harder time maintaining its form?
Wouldn't you be better served doing the two separated?

I can front squat quite a bit more than I can power clean. If you're doing a full clean, you should be able to do much more than a regular power clean.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
I can front squat quite a bit more than I can power clean.
That’s the point.
I think most everyone can front squat much more than he/she can power clean.

Mr. Snrub said:
If you're doing a full clean, you should be able to do much more than a regular power clean.
When you say full clean, you mean like in the clean and jerk?
I don’t think that’s what he described though (and personally, I’m not a huge fan of it).

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. But why would you have a harder time with form? Cleans are meant to move straight into a front squat. Power clean "racked" position is the "racked" position for front squats.

Clean, as in, exploding up, getting your body under the bar into the racked position and down into the full front squat. Right, as in the clean and jerk. That's what I was wondering--a power clean + front squat with no stop could easily turn into a full clean if you have the proper form.

I was doing them off the floor, like a 'full clean,' but I wasn't ducking down under the bar as I cleaned it. I was just touching the plates against the floor and then snapping it up. Then, I was pausing at the top before squatting. When I do regular front squats, I have a terrible time keeping the weight up without choking myself completely [I have bad shoulder structure for holding a bar up like that, I think, because I don't have a groove there for the bar to sit in], so I'm always looking for other things to do.

This was the first time I'd done cleans in a long, long time. If I did this next week, I think I could add a considerable amount of weight. It was the second part of the workout that I was referring to as 'advanced' anyway; that A -> D business is a killer.

Nope.

Edit: To clarify, what I was calling power cleans might be better called 'suppinated barbell curls with leg drive.' I was just powering up out of a deadlift position and using my leg drive to 'snap' the weight up onto my shoulders in a power clean position. No foot movement at all, no ducking under the bar. Then from there, I was pausing and doing a front squat. I did them because I've been trying to do more workouts that combine exercises and trying to get out of, or stay out of, a rut.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
Sorry, I misread what you wrote. But why would you have a harder time with form? Cleans are meant to move straight into a front squat. Power clean "racked" position is the "racked" position for front squats.

Clean, as in, exploding up, getting your body under the bar into the racked position and down into the full front squat. Right, as in the clean and jerk. That's what I was wondering--a power clean + front squat with no stop could easily turn into a full clean if you have the proper form.
In a full clean you dip much lower than a power clean.
You can do much heavier weights since you’re using more of your legs.
But personally find to be in the "un-sweet spot".
You cannot get as effective lower body training with it since you cannot put as much weight as the squat, and you’re not using as much of your upper body as the power clean since you’re relying on your legs to a much higher degree.
But of course, YMMV.

anyway, it thought he meant doing a regular power clean, and then, from the racked position do a front squat before dropping the bar to the next clean.
I would imagine having problems in the form because power clean tends to move your leg position quite a bit. And you really don’t want to mess with that on the squat.
I’m not saying it’s impossible to keep perfect form, I’m just imagining it would be harder.

Captain Glanton said:
This is just ridiculous.

Chichikov said:
In a full clean you dip much lower than a power clean.
You can do much heavier weights since you’re using more of your legs.
But personally find to be in the "un-sweet spot".
You cannot get as effective lower body training with it since you cannot put as much weight as the squat, and you’re not using as much of your upper body as the power clean since you’re relying on your legs to a much higher degree.
But of course, YMMV.

anyway, it thought he meant doing a regular power clean, and then, from the racked position do a front squat before dropping the bar to the next clean.
I would imagine having problems in the form because power clean tends to move your leg position quite a bit. And you really don’t want to mess with that on the squat.
I’m not saying it’s impossible to keep perfect form, I’m just imagining it would be harder.

This is just ridiculous.

Yeah, naturally. In a full clean, you're pulling yourself under the bar much more than a power clean. To me, the only difference between a power clean and a full clean is how far you get under the bar, and thus, that limits the amount of weight you can use. But, it is still great for explosive training/aiding your deadlift.

Power cleans shouldn't move your legs that much. How do yours move? Mine go out a bit (stance widens), but I'm working to fix that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
took a day off from my regular cardio workout today, and i physically feel like shit as a result. that's the last time i do that for a while

Updated the OP with a link to a T-Nation article on choosing supplements. They pimp their own line, Biotest, pretty hard, but I think it's a worthwhile read for people who feel bewildered by the array of powders and pills for sale.

Also, I tried something new last night, also from a T-Nation article. It's called a "supramaximal effort." On squats, I was doing sets of 5 reps to parallel, in the usual fashion. But in between, I was doing a "hold" of 8 seconds [unracking the weight and holding it just a bit below lockout/standing straight up] of about 130% of my max weight. I raised the safety bars way up for these, but I ended up not even walking the weight back, because I rack it pretty low for squats. Since I ended up loading very close to all the weight the bar could hold, let's say that it was a unique and interesting experience.

I also did 5 set of the Ninja Warrior pullups, of about 5 pullups per set, with one minute in between. Good stuff.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
Also, I tried something new last night, also from a T-Nation article. It's called a "supramaximal effort." On squats, I was doing sets of 5 reps to parallel, in the usual fashion. But in between, I was doing a "hold" of 8 seconds [unracking the weight and holding it just a bit below lockout/standing straight up] of about 130% of my max weight. I raised the safety bars way up for these, but I ended up not even walking the weight back, because I rack it pretty low for squats. Since I ended up loading very close to all the weight the bar could hold, let's say that it was a unique and interesting experience.
Isn't supramaximal effort just anything above your aerobic capacity (VO2 max)?
I'm pretty sure your 5X5 squats are already there.
And what is the goal of the hold part?

Chichikov said:
Isn't supramaximal effort just anything above your aerobic capacity (VO2 max)?
I'm pretty sure your 5X5 squats are already there.
And what is the goal of the hold part?

Mainly, it's to get used to handling heavy weight, both physically and mentally. I can vouche that once you start doing holds with 815, walking back 475 will feel like child's play. I've always done walkouts at the end of my squat warmup, putting about 70 lbs more than I plan to do that day on, walking it back, and just bouncing up and down for 8 reps. It gets the blood flowing, gets your back warmed up, but mainly it gets the mind focused and makes you realize what 'heavy' means and, critically, what it doesn't mean.

I've also begun doing my warmups on squats without any safety bars, or just in space on the deadlifting platform. Since I go up to 405 for a single with no belt for my warmups, it gives you a different perspective on things.

pete914

Captain Glanton said:
Updated the OP with a link to a T-Nation article on choosing supplements. They pimp their own line, Biotest, pretty hard, but I think it's a worthwhile read for people who feel bewildered by the array of powders and pills for sale.

I also did 5 set of the Ninja Warrior pullups, of about 5 pullups per set, with one minute in between. Good stuff.

I can't seem to get much more than 5 reps myself, my fingers start sliding around that time. Maybe I'll have to start wearing gloves again, but only for that one exercise.

The T-Nation Biotest pimping bounces back and forth between "hard" and "absurd." I've seen TC articles where he flips out on non-Biotest users who mention other products on their forums as "freeloaders." Uh, you guys run a free site, what do you expect? Not to mention their products tend to run above market price compared to other companies. I usually get a good laugh and eyeroll out of it.

Semi fitness related topic/question of the day- Does anyone know what the deal is with the huge price increase for whey protein products? Did it have to do with whatever made milk and other dairy go up in price? Examples- I used to get a gallon of milk from Sam's Club for $2, it's now routinely over $3. That's around a 50% increase. I used to get ON Whey from Netrition for $29, now it's $42, around a 40% increase. Questions, comments, points to make?

I thought I would contribute my workout and see what you all think. It is a bit hardcore compared to what most of you will be doing, but if you want to get in some EXCELLENT shape give it a try!! Here Goes

Monday

Cardio 5-10 minutes
Forward Lunge w/twist
High Knee Hug
Cross-over
Heel to Butt
Side Lunge
Walking Hamstring
Spiderman & Inchworm
Band Walks

After work out: Row 10 minutes at 2:05-1:50/500M PACE
Bike 20 minutes level 15 at 90-100 RPMs

GROUP 1
WT REPS SETS
Weighted Jump Squats 8 3
SB Crunches 10 30 3
Straight Arm Side Plank Thread the Needle --- 15ea (slowly) 3

GROUP 2
WT REPS SETS
Back Squat 8 3
Squat Jumps --- 6 3 3
SB SL (Supine) Curl, Bridge, Out, Down --- 15ea 3

GROUP 3
WT REPS SETS
BB or DB Dead Lift 6 3
DB SL Calf Raises 10ea 3

TUESDAY

Same Warmup
After work out: Bike on Interval High Level 30 minutes
Row 5 X 300 meters in 1 min/1 min rest

GROUP 1
WT REPS SETS
DB Incline Press on Bench 8,6,6 3
Clap Push Ups --- 10 3
DB Rev Fly Laying on Incline Bench 8 3

GROUP 2
WT REPS SETS
Lat Pull Down (Don’t lean back) 8 3
Cable Tricep Ext. (use more than #50) Burnout 3
Russian Twists (25, 35, or 45 plate) 20ea 3

GROUP 3
WT REPS SETS
Cable Rotations (FAST OUT SLOW BACK) 15ea 3
SL Push Ups --- 15ea 3
DB Bicep Curls 30 Burnout 3

WEDNESDAY

Warm Up and Stretch (20 minutes)

Choose 2 of the following.

1. Row 6 X 500M @ sub 1:50/500M Pace (2 min rest between)
2. Bike Intervals 30 minutes at High Level.
3. Swim+Run 30 Minutes (Freestyle 1 lap, Breast Stroke 1 lap, Run forward 1lap, Run backward 1 lap) Repeat.

THURSDAY
Same Warmup
After work out: Rowing Machine 10 X 300 meter sprints. Try to keep time less than 1 minute. 1 minute 15 rest between.

GROUP 1
WT REPS SETS
Hang Clean (Explosive) 5 3
SB Crunches 10 30 3
SL Leg Press 8ea 3

GROUP 2
WT REPS SETS
Front Squat 8 3
Squat Jumps --- 6 3
SB SL (Supine) Curl, Bridge, Out, Down --- 15ea 3

GROUP 3
WT REPS SETS
Walking Lunges 6ea 3
Split Stance Jumps 5ea 3
SL Squat Touchdown 15ea 3

FRIDAY
Same Warmup
After work out: Bike on Interval High Level 30 minutes

GROUP 1
WT REPS SETS
SA SB Chest Press 8 3
Clap Push Ups --- 10 3
Seated Row 8 3

GROUP 2
WT REPS SETS
Seated Cable Chops from High 15ea 3
Cable Tricep Extensions Burnout 3
Cable Bicep Curls Burnout 3

GROUP 3
WT REPS SETS
Cable Rotations (FAST OUT SLOW BACK) 15ea 3
SB Pikes --- 10 3
SL Push Ups --- 15ea 3

SATURDAY
Same Warmup
After work out: Stretch, Foam Roll, Ice Bath, Drink your Endurox.

One Continuous Circuit
WT REPS SETS
Squats (fast) 25DB 30 3
SL Push Ups (fast) BW 15ea 3
Alternating Lunges 25DB 15ea 3

DON’T STOP! KEEP GOING DOWN THE LIST. ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER!

DB Push Press (fast) 20DB 30 3
Wall Sit BW 1’30” 3
Push Ups (fast) BW 30 3

Sunday: Recover, Stretch, Foam Roll.

pete914 said:
Semi fitness related topic/question of the day- Does anyone know what the deal is with the huge price increase for whey protein products? Did it have to do with whatever made milk and other dairy go up in price? Examples- I used to get a gallon of milk from Sam's Club for $2, it's now routinely over $3. That's around a 50% increase. I used to get ON Whey from Netrition for $29, now it's $42, around a 40% increase. Questions, comments, points to make?

The price of all Dairy has gone up ~30 percent. So it stands to reason that whey would mirror that trend.

yacobod

Banned
i usually keep my routines pretty simple

i switched 2 weeks ago to something like this

mon: legs
tues: chest/tris
wed: back/bis
thurs: off
friday: shoulders
sat: arms/cardio
sunday: off

lift for about an hour, then do 15-20 minutes of cardio after each session

pete914

Mr. Snrub said:
Don't wear gloves, dude. It just reduces grip security, makes the bar "thicker", and robs you of grip training. Use some chalk.

Chalk won't help for that- the flat surface I do those on is as smooth as glass- it's not a knurled bar. It's not even round, it's flat. And I'm not talking about fingerless lifting gloves, I'm thinking mechanic style rubber/ish ones so I can get some actual friction going. And only for that exercise, as I noted.

The price of all Dairy has gone up ~30 percent. So it stands to reason that whey would mirror that trend.

Yeah, I noted that with my milk example- my question was why, in general, this happened. Obviously all food did not increase 30%. Off to Google I suppose...

Edit: Seems like run of the mill higher energy costs and demand, more specifically higher foreign demand. Quasi interesting reading- there are parts 2 and 3 at the bottom of the article.

http://www.foodandfuelamerica.com/2007/06/why-milk-prices-are-high.html

Mr. Snrub said:
Crazy routine. I've been meaning to get a foam roller--how has your experience been with it?

We swear by them. They can be very painful when you are first getting used to them, but they do a good job of really keeping you loose and the bloodflow good after a workout and on off days. Also this thing is awesome for gamedays http://www.thestick.com/.

pete914 said:
Chalk won't help for that- the flat surface I do those on is as smooth as glass- it's not a knurled bar. It's not even round, it's flat. And I'm not talking about fingerless lifting gloves, I'm thinking mechanic style rubber/ish ones so I can get some actual friction going. And only for that exercise, as I noted.

Just seems to me that this is only working around the problem. Although, rereading it, it sounds like the surface is just really slick. Which sucks for you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom