• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigGreenMat said:
We swear by them. They can be very painful when you are first getting used to them, but they do a good job of really keeping you loose and the bloodflow good after a workout and on off days. Also this thing is awesome for gamedays http://www.thestick.com/.

Excellent, thanks. I've been getting into more post-workout recovery/rehab, so I'll check them out. I've heard it can be painful but is more than worth it.

BigGreenMat said:
I thought I would contribute my workout and see what you all think. It is a bit hardcore compared to what most of you will be doing, but if you want to get in some EXCELLENT shape give it a try!! Here Goes

Workout

What are you training for?

BigGreenMat said:
Super League Rugby. So there is a lot of core and balance strength emphasis, not as much heavy weight emphasis.

I noticed that. I might steal one or two things here; I've been trying to switch to more of a 'conditioning' model and less worrying about how much weight I'm handling.

I've been reading that Rippetoe book, and it's great so far. Now I'm trying to find a training program.

On page 289 of the book, they suggest these two types of workouts: 1) Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, 2) Squat, Press, Power Clean. They suggest training three days a week. So one week you end up doing no. 1 twice, and the other week, you end up doing no. 2 twice.

So the idea is to take one-day rests between workouts? I can't quite figure this part out.

Wraith

perryfarrell said:
I've been reading that Rippetoe book, and it's great so far. Now I'm trying to find a training program.

On page 289 of the book, they suggest these two types of workouts: 1) Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, 2) Squat, Press, Power Clean. They suggest training three days a week. So one week you end up doing no. 1 twice, and the other week, you end up doing no. 2 twice.

So the idea is to take one-day rests between workouts? I can't quite figure this part out.

You have the right idea. Ideally, you want a minimum of 48 hours between workouts.

Dai Kaiju

I read the OP, but some of it was over my head. I'm not familiar with all of the terminology. I've developed a little bit of a gut recently that i'd like to get rid of. In layman's terms, what are some good excercises for that that don't involve equipment?

APF

Dai Kaiju said:
I read the OP, but some of it was over my head. I'm not familiar with all of the terminology. I've developed a little bit of a gut recently that i'd like to get rid of. In layman's terms, what are some good excercises for that that don't involve equipment?
Food pushaways.

Dai Kaiju said:

If you're new to exercise completely, you might need to start with the most basic, of walking [at the best pace you can manage] for a few miles, 4-5 times a week. As soon as you can build your fitness level up by doing that, though, you will want to graduate by moving to doing cardio in short, intense bursts. When you're still starting out, this might mean jogging from one tree [or whatever landmark, of maybe 50 yards] to the next, then walking to the next, then jogging again. Do that ten times, with maybe a mile of walking before and after. As you get better you want to pick up the intensity, so that those jogs turn into sprints. If you're lucky enough to live someplace with hills [I'm not], you can start doing your runs up those, as well. If you're running up hills a few times a week and eating right, the pounds will drop off quickly.

The basics still apply here. If you're not going to join a gym, pushups for upper body [with pullups if you can find something to hang from], and bodyweight squats and lunges for lower body are probably the best. You should know, though, that you're never going to get the same results without equipment as you will with it.

I have another question on barbell training.

Suppose I want to replace the deadlift and the power clean with different exercises that target the same muscles -- what are good replacements? Back extensions maybe? Thanks for any pointers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Captain Glanton said:
If you're new to exercise completely, you might need to start with the most basic, of walking [at the best pace you can manage] for a few miles, 4-5 times a week. As soon as you can build your fitness level up by doing that, though, you will want to graduate by moving to doing cardio in short, intense bursts. When you're still starting out, this might mean jogging from one tree [or whatever landmark, of maybe 50 yards] to the next, then walking to the next, then jogging again. Do that ten times, with maybe a mile of walking before and after. As you get better you want to pick up the intensity, so that those jogs turn into sprints. If you're lucky enough to live someplace with hills [I'm not], you can start doing your runs up those, as well. If you're running up hills a few times a week and eating right, the pounds will drop off quickly.

The basics still apply here. If you're not going to join a gym, pushups for upper body [with pullups if you can find something to hang from], and bodyweight squats and lunges for lower body are probably the best. You should know, though, that you're never going to get the same results without equipment as you will with it.

How many grams of L-Glutimine should I take a day?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I hate the word diet lol...

If you can't do it for the rest of your life, why bother. And if you not motivated/commited to losing weight, you NEVER will keep it off no matter how you lose it

Personally, when I saw 260lbs on the scale, I decided it was time to lose some (I am 6'3" tall, big "frame")

That was November 1st.

I am now 226lbs and I have only changed my lifestyle ever so slightly.

I have always walked 2 miles a day (to work and back) so I just added 30-45min on a treadmill at home every night. That is pretty much my only exercise.

I pay attention to calories but I don't count them....so bascially I don't stuff mountains of calories in me ;P

I pay attention to portion size. I rarely go back for 2nds anymore just because it tastes good. I only eat what fills me up the first time.

I eat a ton more fruits and vegetables for snacks and a ton less junk food.

I drink a lot of water, which is not an issue since it is all I drink anyway. I just upped it a bit.

The biggest factor has been cutting back dramatically on Wheat Gluten/Flour. This stuff is pretty much in all breads, pastries, pastas, etc. I only eat it if I am out to dinner with friends and family...otherwise very small amounts here and there (croutons in salad, breaded chicken/fish, certain cereals, etc). That alone has cuased me to shave off many a pound and many an inch from the midsection.

I still eat some junk food on occasion (candy while watching movies for example) but it's nowhere near like before.

My whole point is, you don't have to drastically change your life to lose weight, you just have to make better choices and WANT to lose it.

Plus, I can live this way my whole life should I choose to, whereas I could NOT do an extreme diet plan for very long.

perryfarrell said:
I have another question on barbell training.

Suppose I want to replace the deadlift and the power clean with different exercises that target the same muscles -- what are good replacements? Back extensions maybe? Thanks for any pointers.

Well, those are very effective exercises that are hard to replace. Are you worried about an injury problem? Two things to try are Rack Pulls and Romanian Deadlifts.

Rack Pulls: Like regular Deadlifts, except the bar starts at about shin level, resting on a rack [hence the name!]. It's a Deadlift with very little emphasis on the legs and mostly on the back.

Romanian Deadlifts [RDLs]: Start with holding the bar at your waist. You're going to lower it down to your knee or slightly lower and bring it back up. The key is that you lower the bar by sticking your butt/hips backward, NOT by rounding your back. It hits the backs of your legs, butt, and lower back very well.

mckmas8808 said:
How many grams of L-Glutimine should I take a day?

As of about two years ago [the last time I checked], there was no evidence that your body could absorb excess glutamine through the stomach. Although it's vital for your body, they have not yet shown that taking it in supp form does you any good. I don't use it.

Captain Glanton said:
Well, those are very effective exercises that are hard to replace. Are you worried about an injury problem? Two things to try are Rack Pulls and Romanian Deadlifts.

Cool, thanks for the tips. It's not so much injury, but has more to do with body type. I'll give those variations a shot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wondering, what do you think about NO/l-arginine supps? I know they give you some freaky congestions, but I am not sure about the actual muscle benefits. Things like NOXplode, Nanovapor and Superpump.

Funky Papa said:
Wondering, what do you think about NO/l-arginine supps? I know they give you some freaky congestions, but I am not sure about the actual muscle benefits. Things like NOXplode, Nanovapor and Superpump.

Trash, skip it.

I use: protein powder, post-workout [protein, good fats, etc] powder, fish oil, BCAAs, and a [legal] testosterone booster.

Straightballin said:
Anyone heard of myoplex? Is it any good and where can I find it for a good price?

I've not used their stuff, but I see guys carrying the little postworkout drinks in the gym quite often. I don't follow supp companies that I don't use very closely, but I've not gotten a great impression of them.

I'll be keeping the Deadlift and I'll be replacing the Power Clean with a Barbell Row. According to that Rippetoe book, they work similar muscles (a motion that involves pulling with the arms and also utilizes the lower back).

My quads are killing me after my first attempt at squatting. Holy shit, I didn't know my legs could feel this way. Fun, though.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
perryfarrell said:
I'll be keeping the Deadlift and I'll be replacing the Power Clean with a Barbell Row. According to that Rippetoe book, they work similar muscles (a motion that involves pulling with the arms and also utilizes the lower back).

My quads are killing me after my first attempt at squatting. Holy shit, I didn't know my legs could feel this way. Fun, though.

They will be in pain for a few days I'd bet. Once I finally started concentrating on my legs (about 5 months ago) I was in horrific soreness for a few weeks, now I still get a little sore but nothing like before.

By the way, I can't believe I never did squats and dead lifts before. So stupid, what awesome exercises. Using deads and different back exercises I've completely cut out any need for bicep training and my arms are bigger than they ever have been.

Mr. Hyde

I'm about to begin "Whipping my butt into shape".

At the moment I am working on eating mostly whole foods and frozen/fresh vegetables (no canned). I'm tired of buying prepackaged junk that ends up costing me much more in the long run. Plus it's teaching me how to cook & buy things at a cheaper price.

Morning breakfast will mostly consist of an egg or two scrambled with some crumbled tofu added in. I also sometimes eat oatmeal with some flaxseed mixed in it.

Lunch will mostly be all natural/99% fat free baked chicken wrapped in whole wheat tortilla rolls with a slice of 2% cheese (not the healthiest, but tasty) and lettuce. My friend who is a private trainer eats this as his noon meal, but he also eats twice more during the afternoon period. I'm not sure if I need to go that far for what I am focusing on.

Dinner will vary between chicken, flank steak, lean hamburger, and salmon. Plus vegetables and whatever else that I find sounds good for recipes.

Besides this way of eating I plan to start swimming (until I get up to 2000 meters 3-5 times a week) and doing free weights. I don't plan to lift an excessive mount. Just sort of light and slow repetitions. I'm not looking to gain an extreme amount of muscle mass. I also plan to keep up with tai chi or yoga at the gym (I was doing Chen Taijiquan for six months but got sick of paying 115 a month).

I just turned 25 and I'm 5'8/weigh 146. I never really gain or lose weight. Will eating/exercising this way help me gain some muscle? I'm sure it's good for my internal organs, but I also want to have a bit more mass.

Any advice besides telling me not to wuss out and go do it? :lol

I also only drink water & Japanese green tea (rarely as of late).

perryfarrell said:

I haven't read Rippetoe's book, but barbell rows--while awesome--are not a lower back exercise. They are almost entirely upper back, when done properly. In the past, I've rowed 405 lbs X 5 with strict form, and trust me, they're upper back. And, you really shouldn't be using your arms to row the weight up.

And congrats on squatting. Good people squat heavy. :D Your legs will eventually get used to the stress and the pain will decrease a lot week to week. Make sure you eat a lot; that's the best way to fight soreness.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Here's my weight loss story:

Starting in college, I'm a senior in college now, I gained a lot of weight. I'm 5'9". At the halfway point of Freshman year, I was a robust 191 lbs. Ouch. Horrible. I went on a quest to lose weight second semester, with mixed results. I was committed to the fact that with enough exercising, I didn't have to watch what I ate that much. This worked, slightly. I lost about 6 lbs over the second semester.

Sophomore year, I'm about 185 lbs, I start dieting and exercising. It's working all the way to 168 lbs. I did good. I wasn't lifting or anything, but I was eating clean and running a lot. However, Summer break hits, plentiful food, no walking to class, working, and other stuff happens. I don't work out much during the beginning of Junior year, and I balloon back up to 183. Horrible.

Luckily, I had been tracking my progress on an excel spreadsheet over the past year. Junior year, second semester, I see what happened. I look at the trend on a line graph, and see that the winter breaks and summer breaks kill me due to plentiful food at home and less exercise. I start my quest again. I'm at 182 lbs.

Thanks to my dieting experience from the previous year, I'm able to flip a mental switch and go back into dieting mode with ease. I start running and exercising a lot, with more effective techniques due to research. I drop a healthy 1.5 lbs a week due to clean eating and exercise. Eventually, summer comes and I'm a nice 169 lbs.

The next test comes with summer break, where I usually gain weight. I strive to break the habit and it works. I get a gym membership, lift some weights, run 4-5 times a week, play a lot of sports, and it works. Also, I got a full time internship, which helped my eating habits. I'd eat sandwiches for lunch at work, and I'd have snacks every 2 hours. I did it. I dropped to 161 by the end of the summer. A clean 30 lb weight loss from peak to trough. Nice.

Now, I've maintained a good 161-165 weight since then with increased muscle through weight lifting. I finally feel accomplished, but I'm not done. There's just a little left to go, and after Winter break is over, I'll be done.

If you guys have any detailed weight loss questions, ask away.

Captain Glanton said:
Trash, skip it.

I use: protein powder, post-workout [protein, good fats, etc] powder, fish oil, BCAAs, and a [legal] testosterone booster.

I've not used their stuff, but I see guys carrying the little postworkout drinks in the gym quite often. I don't follow supp companies that I don't use very closely, but I've not gotten a great impression of them.

Can you list what specific products you use?

I feel like I'm starting to plateau at a pretty unrespectable amount of weight and am starting to look into supplements to give me a bit of an edge. I currently take some protein powder I got from GNC started taking some product I had from a few years ago called 5 tetra.

Also, I haven't really sifted through this thread a lot. Are there links or posts to what workouts some of you guys use - or what other successful people use? I wouldn't mind trying out what someone else is doing for awhile to see if that works better for me.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Can you list what specific products you use?

I feel like I'm starting to plateau at a pretty unrespectable amount of weight and am starting to look into supplements to give me a bit of an edge. I currently take some protein powder I got from GNC started taking some product I had from a few years ago called 5 tetra.

Also, I haven't really sifted through this thread a lot. Are there links or posts to what workouts some of you guys use - or what other successful people use? I wouldn't mind trying out what someone else is doing for awhile to see if that works better for me.

It'd help first if you listed your goals. I posted a pretty tough workout on the last page. Although we are moving into season so our workouts will be changing. Like today this is my circuit

Water break between entire circuit for 2 minutes

Repeat 4 Times

Push Press X 20 w/DBs (fast)

Walking Lunges X 2 Laps w/DBs

Wall Sit w/lateral Raises X 1’ w/DBs

Russian Twists #25 X 20 each side

Standing Plate Twists X 20 each side (Like Russian Twist but standing)

Squat Jumps X 10

SB Push Ups w/hands on the ball X 25

Drop Squats X 20

SL Bridges X 20ea

Mountain Climbers X 20 seconds

Squats X 30 w/DBs (fast)

BigGreenMat said:
It'd help first if you listed your goals. I posted a pretty tough workout on the last page. Although we are moving into season so our workouts will be changing. Like today this is my circuit

Water break between entire circuit for 2 minutes

Repeat 4 Times

Push Press X 20 w/DBs (fast)

Walking Lunges X 2 Laps w/DBs

Wall Sit w/lateral Raises X 1’ w/DBs

Russian Twists #25 X 20 each side

Standing Plate Twists X 20 each side (Like Russian Twist but standing)

Squat Jumps X 10

SB Push Ups w/hands on the ball X 25

Drop Squats X 20

SL Bridges X 20ea

Mountain Climbers X 20 seconds

Squats X 30 w/DBs (fast)

Is it simple enough to say I want to look and feel good? The only real activity I get outside of lifting and doing elipticals is playing basketball.

I'm around 6'1, 205 lbs right now. I'd like to get closer to 180-185 while still being able to improve my lifts.

Edit I added a few links in the OP to T-Nation articles about fat loss.

My supps:
I get all my stuff from Biotest [www.t-nation.com]. It's pricey but high quality--although you should put grains of salt in their sales talk, which tends to be, um, overly enthusiastic.

Surge [post-workout shake]
Metabolic Drive [protein powder]
BCAAs
Creatine [which I neglected to mention above, I think; sorry creatine]
Alpha Male [a testosterone booster, which will increase your test. to your body's natural limit; you don't need it if you're young, but I'm 32]
Flameout [fish oil; good for your joints and fighting inflammation generally]

Workouts:
I do total body workouts right now, with a leg exercise, upper body push, and upper body pull in every workout, 3 days a week. I might go in and do some lightweight work [shoulder DB work, arms, and the like] on a 4th day time and energy permitting.

Sunday I did:
Back Squats
5 sets of warmup
455 X 5
475 X 5
495 X 4

Incline Press and Dips
3 sets
A) IP 245 X 5
B) 10 bodyweight dips

Pullups
Suppinated, wide grip, bodyweight + 70 lbs, 60 secs rest between sets

Ninja Warrior pullups [hanging from app. 2" flat edge; I use a support bar between pulley stations]
5 with some regular pullups thrown in at the end

I weigh 215 lbs or so, to give an idea of weight on the pullups. But that's a pretty typical workout. Lots of the basics with lots of intensity. I personally feel everyone who's not preparing for a bodybuilding career should stay away from machines as much as possible. Also, supplements can help you out, but nothing will replace heavy, complex movements, sweat, and eating huge stacks of clean food.

Double post, but hey.

I did overhead squats for the first time tonight. Pretty intense and very, very challenging. They are a lot tougher than you expect, but it feels like they were very effective.

Overhead squat: Press the barbell overhead and start doing squats to parallel. Simple but effective.

Tonight's Workout:
Overhead Squats
3 sets of 5

Jump Squats
3 sets of 5

Seated Overhead Presses and Bodyweight Dips
3 supersets of 5 reps of OH and 15 dips

Barbell Rows and Bodyweight Pullups
3 supersets of 5 reps and 6-8 pullups

Ninja Warrior Pullups
3 sets

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Captain Glanton said:
Trash, skip it.

I think you need to expand on this. Because as it is, there are two distinct possibilities here:

1. It's placebo, and you gain nothing but an empty wallet.
2. It works, but you didn't know shit about recovery cycles and you get man boobs.

You've got to take an anti-estrogen as you go off test boosters because your body tries to maintain a ratio of testosterone and estrogen. When that artificial booster wears off all of the sudden, and T drops, you have all this estrogen still hanging around in your body.

And if you're trying to boost T, don't touch alcohol. It essentially halts T production.

ezrarh

I can attest to Rippetoe's program. I started it at the beginning of the semester back in September and so far, have gained 20 lbs of muscle which is a lot due to my short frame. While the improvement isn't extremely rapid due to lacking the funds and the time to eat enough, it's proven to me that I can get larger, that skinny guys from high school can get bigger. The only supplements I've taken are whey protein and animal pak multivitamin. While I don't have a lot of experience, from what I've read and learned, if you're a new guy save your money and don't buy into the hype with all the various performance enhancers.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm looking to pick up some creatine. Anyone have any reccomandations? I haven't taken creatine in about two years and have been out of the loop on whats popular among weightlifters these days.

teh_pwn said:
I think you need to expand on this. Because as it is, there are two distinct possibilities here:

1. It's placebo, and you gain nothing but an empty wallet.
2. It works, but you didn't know shit about recovery cycles and you get man boobs.

You've got to take an anti-estrogen as you go off test boosters because your body tries to maintain a ratio of testosterone and estrogen. When that artificial booster wears off all of the sudden, and T drops, you have all this estrogen still hanging around in your body.

And if you're trying to boost T, don't touch alcohol. It essentially halts T production.

Well, you're assuming that it's a steroid. It isn't. See my other post above.

Oudom said:
What is a ninja warrior pull up? Sounds scary.

There's a description somewhere in this monstrosity. It's a regular pullup [palms down; none of that girly supine-grip stuff] done from a flat bar. Find a high, flat surface where only the first two joints of your fingers sit on top [as I've said, I use the horizontal support bar between two pulley/machine stations at the gym], and pull yourself up. It might be very tough at first, but I've gone from doing five to nine in a few weeks.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
palms down; none of that girly pronated-grip stuff
huh?
Nothing wrong with either pronated or supinated pullups, but if anything, the pronated grip pullup is both easier and work smaller muscle groups, which if I remember my macho-man lingo would qualify it as girlier.

I've done three weight-lifting workouts so far, and while my legs are sore as @#$%, my upper body didn't really take a hit.

I just don't have much muscle in my upper body, so I can't really hurt the muscles there. I have some leg muscle from cycling, so I can really give those a work out. My question is: how can I target my upper body more? (I tried the regular press, and could only swing 80 pounds...) Maybe I should try lower weight, more reps?

lil smoke

Banned
Shoot, I haven't been to the gym in 3 months. I have to go through all that muscle soreness AGAIN.

^^The legs tend to be worse than upper body as for fatigue and soreness. Just be sure to stretch alot. If you can only swing 80 lbs, then only swing 80lbs and work up from there. If you want to go down for more control, don't go down too much.

Joe

are push ups and cardio enough to get rid of my man boobs? any exercises in particular i should be doing for this? i have a bench and bar with weights but that's it.

Arthas

Banned
Joe said:
are push ups and cardio enough to get rid of my man boobs? any exercises in particular i should be doing for this? i have a bench and bar with weights but that's it.

If your man boobs are just fat then just reduce your body fat ratio. Benchpressing will tone and grow the muscles underneath and make your moobs even bigger.
What you want to do is lose overall fat, eat less, be active more, the non resistance way, like running, jogging, cardiovascular exercise basically.

If your titties are large due to natural hormone screwup as a teen, then prepare to live with your titties. Be proud of them. Take good care of them. Know that your wife/girlfriend is jealous of your superior boobies. Tank up your arms and shoulders without doing too much chest work, and you should gain some sort of proportion, which may make your moobs less noticeable.

Joe

i don't think they're hormone related? i'm 6'2", weigh 183lbs and my body fat is 16.8%. i guess 15% should be my goal?

zoukka

I hate gym. A while ago i bought tickets to a local gym for about 3 months and HAD to use them of course. And yes i noticed improvements and increased my muscle-mass, but IT`S FUCKING BORING. Nowadays i just run around and play sports...

And if you want a foolproof tip for losing weight, move to your own place and get un-employed for a while. You CANNOT gain weight.

Of course this means you have to pull the silver spoon out too.

Seriously jogging (running) is the easiest, cheapest and a sure way to get fit.

guys, im trying to get back into shape and need some advice. back when i was 17 or so i got my 6 pac by doing about 300 situps a day all summer long. it worked great but i was 40 pounds lighter back then (i was realllllllllllllly skinny). now im at a better weight and am wondering what else i can do to get my abs back. i started the situp regimine again (doing about 200 a day want to end up doing maybe 4-500 a day) and want to know what else i can do?

Right now all im doing is situps, pushups, and yoga. im thinking of buying some weights and a bench, but ill get to that later

ill appreciate any advice

Arthas

Banned
Joe said:
i don't think they're hormone related? i'm 6'2", weigh 183lbs and my body fat is 16.8%. i guess 15% should be my goal?

You shouldn't have titties with that height/weight Joe. I'm 6'1" and I weigh 210lbs, yet I don't have titties.

It could indeed be hormonal. Nothing to worry about though. It's the norm for at least 40% of guys.

Joe

damn, so what can i do if anything? they're not huge or extremely noticeable or anything i'm just self conscious about it.

NZer

I've heard swimming is an excellent all-body exercise, and is also fun, for all those who are ''looking to get a bit fitter again''

Once you've gained some fitness and some strength, THEN going to the gym makes it less of an awful hurdle. Also cold-turkey from nothing to the gym is really BORING.

pete914

NZer said:
I've heard swimming is an excellent all-body exercise, and is also fun, for all those who are ''looking to get a bit fitter again''

Once you've gained some fitness and some strength, THEN going to the gym makes it less of an awful hurdle. Also cold-turkey from nothing to the gym is really BORING.

I just added swimming as my cardio for non lifting days. I was a swimmer/polo player in high school. I'd say you lose swimming ability faster than anything else in terms of being able to train at a high level.

One thing to look out for is your shoulders though- I've had to scale some of my shoulder work back because swimming wears them out so much. Anything upright row or DB lateral related I've pretty much cut out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom