• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nolan. said:
Your 300 push ups a day is that in one session or at stages for the day.?

you're referring to me nolan? if so theyre 300 situps not pushups and yes its on session (with a 30 sec break in between since by then my necks killing me). i did 200 tonite and my stomachs still burning. i guess that means its working.

Having a six pack doesn't equal being in shape -- I would try to do some cardio if I were you. This excessive focus on abs is all just hype, due to the media etc.

Joe said:
damn, so what can i do if anything? they're not huge or extremely noticeable or anything i'm just self conscious about it.

If your 16.8% number is coming from a reliable measurement by someone who knows what they're doing, then I'd say your problem is hormonal. You should see a doctor if it's bothering you this much.

bdizzle said:
you're referring to me nolan? if so theyre 300 situps not pushups and yes its on session (with a 30 sec break in between since by then my necks killing me). i did 200 tonite and my stomachs still burning. i guess that means its working.

Why are you doing so many situps? It sounds like you're getting ready for a fight, or for the Army. Be warned: I [and plenty of other people] run into problems if I work my abs too much. If I do a lot of direct ab work, I just end up with what looks like the start of a beer belly, except it's muscle. Doing complex, total body exercises should give you all the core work that you need.

Try this, if you're just starting out and have little strength: Do some bodyweight squats to warm up. Then, do them again [to parallel!] with your hands over your head. Now do some walking lunges, and then repeat with your hands over your head. That should get you started on strengthening your core muscles, as well as your legs.

perryfarrell said:
I've done three weight-lifting workouts so far, and while my legs are sore as @#$%, my upper body didn't really take a hit.

I just don't have much muscle in my upper body, so I can't really hurt the muscles there. I have some leg muscle from cycling, so I can really give those a work out. My question is: how can I target my upper body more? (I tried the regular press, and could only swing 80 pounds...) Maybe I should try lower weight, more reps?

Yes, legs get more sore than upper body. If I miss a week of workouts, even my legs warmup routine will make me hurt. Try basing your upper body workouts around: overhead press, barbell and dumbbell rows, pullups, dips, flat and incline bench press, probably in something like that order.

Joe

Captain Glanton said:
If your 16.8% number is coming from a reliable measurement by someone who knows what they're doing, then I'd say your problem is hormonal. You should see a doctor if it's bothering you this much.
it's from a scale i bought at walgreens....

perryfarrell said:
Having a six pack doesn't equal being in shape -- I would try to do some cardio if I were you. This excessive focus on abs is all just hype, due to the media etc.

well technically im not trying to get in shape. im not overweight/fat and i eat healthy enough. im just trying to get abs honestly. of course the focus is on the abs, generally thats what the majority of women like. when i had my 6 pack back when i was high school the ladies i messed with loved it. i remember going to the beach and everyone going "wow!" it was a good feeling :D

Captain Glanton said:
Why are you doing so many situps? It sounds like you're getting ready for a fight, or for the Army. Be warned: I [and plenty of other people] run into problems if I work my abs too much. If I do a lot of direct ab work, I just end up with what looks like the start of a beer belly, except it's muscle. Doing complex, total body exercises should give you all the core work that you need.

Try this, if you're just starting out and have little strength: Do some bodyweight squats to warm up. Then, do them again [to parallel!] with your hands over your head. Now do some walking lunges, and then repeat with your hands over your head. That should get you started on strengthening your core muscles, as well as your legs

naw i wont be getting a beer gut....i'd have to have a gut first to get one of those lol. im not trying to be a meathead or anything or trying to look like a body builder. im just trying to get my abs back to where they used to be. the last time i did this routine, in about 3 months or so my abs were ripped, so i know it works. im just trting to figure out is there anything else i can do outside of all the situps.

Chichikov

bdizzle said:
well technically im not trying to get in shape. im not overweight/fat and i eat healthy enough. im just trying to get abs honestly. of course the focus is on the abs, generally thats what the majority of women like. when i had my 6 pack back when i was high school the ladies i messed with loved it. i remember going to the beach and everyone going "wow!" it was a good feeling :D

naw i wont be getting a beer gut....i'd have to have a gut first to get one of those lol. im not trying to be a meathead or anything or trying to look like a body builder. im just trying to get my abs back to where they used to be. the last time i did this routine, in about 3 months or so my abs were ripped, so i know it works. im just trting to figure out is there anything else i can do outside of all the situps.
Having a six pack correlate almost directly to body fat (sure, there are exception to this rule, but it holds true for most people).
If your goal is to have them back you should concentrate on getting the fat down and not on doing so many sit-ups.
You'll probably need to be around 10% body fat before it's noticeable.

And as other people mention, sit-ups are not the best exercise in the world, and even if you want to target your abs and abs only (and I don't think you should) there are better alternatives.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Chichikov said:
Having a six pack correlate almost directly to body fat (sure, there are exception to this rule, but it holds true for most people).
If your goal is to have them back you should concentrate on getting the fat down and not on doing so many sit-ups.
You'll probably need to be around 10% body fat before it's noticeable.

And as other people mention, sit-ups are not the best exercise in the world, and even if you want to target your abs and abs only (and I don't think you should) there are better alternatives.

Do tell.

Ether_Snake said:

Wanderlei Silva

Shit, there used to be other clips on YouTube of other MMA guys training--I remember one specifically of Bas Rutten doing some circuit training. I guess they've all been pulled.

Anyway, MMA fighters know as much about strong abs as anyone. I'd try to find info about what they do. Punching, sprawling, mat work, swinging the sledgehammer, all will do wonders for you. Moving your body with speed and power will strengthen your core a lot more than doing just crunches on the floor.

Joe said:
it's from a scale i bought at walgreens....

You should look pretty lean at 16.8. Most people underestimate their BF%. Anyway, if it's really bothering you and you think you're too lean for it to be regular-ol' fat, then by all means consult your physician. It's treatable and not uncommon.

What does pulling a muscle feel like?

During one of my squats today I suddenly felt a tingling sensation in my left quad, pretty close to the knee. It was like a whip hit me. Or perhaps a better comparison is it felt like somebody put ice cubes on my leg. It didn't hurt and I finished the set 10 minutes later. But when I now touch it, the muscle feels a little numb-ish (that's probably overstating it, but it feels slightly different than usual). Am I screwed? Hehe :lol

I might have posted about this before someplace, but there's a technique called The Tabata Method. A Japanese researcher found a way to do aerboic and anaerobic work at the same time. You pick a complex exercise and a weight you can do pretty easily. Do as many as you can for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then repeat 7 more times. That's right--you're basically doing as many reps as you can for 4 minutes.

So I modified this today. I was doing 5 dips and 3 pullups [on the same station; our dip bars have a pullup bar over them] then pausing for 10 seconds. I did them for a 4 minute song on the iPod [One Classic of Western Culture], then rested for about 15 minutes, then did another 4 minute song [Another Classic That's Actually Longer Than 4 Minutes, But That's Okay Because I Basically Collapsed Just Before the End Anyway].

I finished that about 45 minutes ago, and now I've come home and had a double serving of my postworkout shake, and I still feel like I was kicked in the head by a mule and had my whole upper body filled with lead shot. Anyone looking for something new and challenging to do, I heartily recommend this.

Wes

venison crêpe
So I can't do press ups. I think it's a combination of never being taught the correct technique to do it and my very weak upper body strength.

I've always had strong leg muscles and stamina, but my arms have always seemed weak. Whenever I do exercise I normally do running or cycling just because thats what I enjoy the most but also because I've never used weights before, and wouldn't know where to start.

Now I know this question started off about press-ups but it's just a general question about improving upper body strength really. I do now have access to a gym but I've only ever used the cycling/running machines in there. Can anyone give any advice as to where to start, and using what kind of equipment?

Don't know if this would effect anything but I'm 6ft6 and about 190lbs.

Wes said:
Can anyone give any advice as to where to start, and using what kind of equipment?

I'd like to respond with a more detailed answer, but I'm in work so I'll keep this short.

Rowing is a great way of building upper body strength as well as being a fantastic cardio exercise. And there is a differentiation to make between having muscle and having actual strength.

Wes

venison crêpe
Opus Angelorum said:
Rowing is a great way of building upper body strength as well as being a fantastic cardio exercise. And there is a differentiation to make between having muscle and having actual strength.

I've always been told to get into rowing because of my height but I've always been afraid to try it because I have a very weak back (I have a very slight curvature of the spine) and didn't want to put pressure on it when it wasn't required. Although I would prefer to use a rowing machine to say lifting weights.

Forgive my ignorance of the correct terminology! I know this isn't what you meant but thought I should add that I don't care much about muscle definition or anything like that, I would just like to work on my overall strength as I consider myself quite weak, which isn't a great thing to think about yourself!

Thanks for the response.

NZer

Opus Angelorum said:
I'd like to respond with a more detailed answer, but I'm in work so I'll keep this short.

Umm, I'd be interested in some advice too, if you'd be so kind -
(or if anyone else could give me a pointer or two)

I was very skinny and weak, then I started going to the gym and doing some circuit machine training (I liked it the idea because it was supervised so I wouldn't injure myself). Now, 12 months later, I'm still small, but quite defined at the same time. Abs, biceps, etc are all defined (due to low BF%) + some hypertrophy but the muscles themselves aren't too big at all. At the gym, I'm not sure where to head... I'd like to do some complex exercises that work my whole body because I feel that while the muscles the machines have targeted are stronger, the supporting ones are still weak and are therefore reducing my strength and increasing the risk for injury.

I'm in the position now where I'm relatively strong but absolutely weak: pull-ups, press-ups, etc., where I am working against my own (tiny) bodyweight, are easy for me, yet I fear I wouldn't be able to lift any decent kind of actual weight. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do squats, etc., if I wanted. So how can I get some strength? Would the rowing machine be a good idea?

A friend suggested swimming, but I am a very poor swimmer.

(Btw, racketball is my cardio and possibly the reason I keep such a low BF%)

Gio_CoD

Banned
Does anyone have a good site/video/writeup on proper squat technique? I started a squat-centric workout routine, and I think I'm doing them wrong. My lower back is fucking killing me, and I've had a crick in my neck for 4 days. This is what I know:

Bar goes on traps
Feet should be shoulder width apart, toes pointed out 45 degrees
look straight ahead, not up, not down
Keep your chest up (not exactly sure what this means, but I assume it means keep your chest pointed straight
lower bar, ass to ankles, then raise bar up pushing with heels, not balls of feet.

And I *think* I'm doing all that. I make a concious effort not to bend my back at all, but it still hurts. I'm wondering if it's one of those things where it will just hurt for a little while before I get used to it.

deadbeef

Haleon said:
Does anyone have a good site/video/writeup on proper squat technique? I started a squat-centric workout routine, and I think I'm doing them wrong. My lower back is fucking killing me, and I've had a crick in my neck for 4 days. This is what I know:

Bar goes on traps
Keep your chest up (not exactly sure what this means, but I assume it means keep your chest pointed straight
lower bar, ass to ankles, then raise bar up pushing with heels, not balls of feet.

And I *think* I'm doing all that. I make a concious effort not to bend my back at all, but it still hurts. I'm wondering if it's one of those things where it will just hurt for a little while before I get used to it.

Do you think you could make a video of yourself squatting so that we could critique you?

The first movement should be you pushing your hips back as if you were sitting back on something. After that you can bend at the knees. Keep your head/neck pushed back against the bar throughout the lift.

You should be maintaining an arch in your lower back.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Dice Man said:
Do you think you could make a video of yourself squatting so that we could critique you?

The first movement should be you pushing your hips back as if you were sitting back on something. After that you can bend at the knees. Keep your head/neck pushed back against the bar throughout the lift.

You should be maintaining an arch in your lower back.
I'll get my friend to take a video of me on his phone tonight and post tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Haleon said:

Bar goes on traps

Do you work out your lower back seperately at all?

deadbeef

Haleon said:
I'll get my friend to take a video of me on his phone tonight and post tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Careful with the weight you are using while you are getting your form right. Back injuries have a way of being persistent and recurring. I would just use the bar for now.

NZer said:
Umm, I'd be interested in some advice too, if you'd be so kind -
(or if anyone else could give me a pointer or two)

I was very skinny and weak, then I started going to the gym and doing some circuit machine training (I liked it the idea because it was supervised so I wouldn't injure myself). Now, 12 months later, I'm still small, but quite defined at the same time. Abs, biceps, etc are all defined (due to low BF%) + some hypertrophy but the muscles themselves aren't too big at all. At the gym, I'm not sure where to head... I'd like to do some complex exercises that work my whole body because I feel that while the muscles the machines have targeted are stronger, the supporting ones are still weak and are therefore reducing my strength and increasing the risk for injury.

I'm in the position now where I'm relatively strong but absolutely weak: pull-ups, press-ups, etc., where I am working against my own (tiny) bodyweight, are easy for me, yet I fear I wouldn't be able to lift any decent kind of actual weight. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do squats, etc., if I wanted. So how can I get some strength? Would the rowing machine be a good idea?

A friend suggested swimming, but I am a very poor swimmer.

(Btw, racketball is my cardio and possibly the reason I keep such a low BF%)

The problem that you've run into is that circuit training [if by that you mean going around the stations on the fixed weight machines] isn't very productive. You want to focus on the complex movements of the kind that I've listed in the OP--squats, deadlifts, pullups and dips, lunges, overhead presses, power cleans, rows--to get stronger. You might try to develop an upper/lower split [doing upper body workouts twice a week, and lower body workouts twice a week]. Also, you should be prepared to find out that you're not as strong as the machines have led to you believe; using the entire stack on a leg press machine translates to maybe 155 lbs on a real barbell squat. You are right that using machines only targets certain muscles and leaves many others undeveloped.

Do not worry about the weight you're using at first, either. You have to learn the proper technique, and it takes a lot of years of hard work to build up real strength for anyone. We all start somewhere. Also, do not worry that "big guys" at your gym are going to mock you for using light weights. I have found this fear to be grossly overexaggerated, and no one who knows what they're doing will smirk at anyone who's squatting properly, no matter what weight they're using.

Also, keep at the racquetball. As long as you're eating enough [which might mean as much clean food as you can stand, in your case], there's no reason you can't do that and get stronger, too.

Haleon said:

Bar goes on traps No. Bar goes across middle traps, across shoulders

Feet should be shoulder width apart, toes pointed out 45 degrees Shoulder width at the narrowest; I go wider. Also, 30 deg, not 45.

look straight ahead, not up, not downNot exactly. Chin up, but eyes forward.

Keep your chest up (not exactly sure what this means, but I assume it means keep your chest pointed straight Yes. It means you keep your back straight and as close to vertical as possible, and your chest filled with air. You will know it when you hit it]

lower bar, ass to ankles, then raise bar up pushing with heels, not balls of feet. As someone else said, do not think about squatting down. Think about squatting back. Stick your hips backwards, which will force your whole body to squat down and back in the proper movement. Always keep your weight on your heels. Go down until your thighs look parallel in the mirror to you [this will mean they are slightly below parallel, due to an optical illusion] and then press back up. You'll know you hit bottom when you feel your ass and hamstrings 'fire.'

I was going to find a good YouTube video of someone squatting with good form, but it seems to be broken right now. I should add that what I've said is what works for me; others will disagree about bar placement, foot angle, etc. Also, I recommend that people squat in work boots, for the ankle and heel support. I do it, and it feels so much more natural than running shoes.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Btw, I've made it a goal of 2008 to do a lot of new bodyweight training and be able to do a planche, and maybe a planche pushup depending on how fast I progress, by the end of the year. I've been reading about the kind of bodyweight exercises gymnasts do, and it gets them incredibly strong, and I can tell just from doing some very basic static exercises and trying to do even a tucked planche. I bought a set of push-up bars to help me out. These exercises hurt my hands. :-/

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=512003

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
so i'm curious if anyone has any great resources for setting up appropriate weekly run schedules as far as personal health is concerned. i'm in a somewhat unique position at the moment in that i don't have a lot to occupy my time, and i've had a regular run routine for several years now that i've built up to about 16+ miles a day. with all that time in a day and not much to do with it, i feel mildly obligated to do it every day, which is starting to take its toll on my daily stamina and is also proving to be difficult to keep up with as far as maintaining weight and eating habits. that's something of another challenge as well, since when i was younger (17-18 or so, now 23) i had a weight problem that makes it difficult for me mentally to let that crucial exercise routine go for fear of slipping.

so, anyway, i'm looking for reliable, reputable resources that can help me understand through the course of the week exactly how much is enough, how much is too much, and so on. i love my cardio, but i fear that it's not something i can keep up at this pace forever and want to find balance. thanks in advance!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Haleon said:

Bar goes on traps

I'd post the Pyrros Dimas training video but it was taken down.

The best examples for squats is from O lifters.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHHYchtHBw

2 minutes in

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNzd_FcThs

Nolan.

I was just wondering, does kettlebell training build up muscle strength.? I was thinking about adding them into my routine somehow. Iv'e stopped going to the gym a while back now i'm trying to build up my core strength at home.

demon

Nolan. said:
I was just wondering, does kettlebell training build up muscle strength.? I was thinking about adding them into my routine somehow. Iv'e stopped going to the gym a while back now i'm trying to build up my core strength at home.
Why wouldn't it? There's an exercise that's supposed to be really good for core strength that is best with a kettle ball, it's called Turkish Get Up or something like that.

Oudom

I tired those ninja warrior pull ups and boy do they work. I only managed to do three before failure. My forearms were sore for a good three days.

Nolan.

demon said:
Why wouldn't it? There's an exercise that's supposed to be really good for core strength that is best with a kettle ball, it's called Turkish Get Up or something like that.

Yeah, I might be adding them soon then. I read a bit on kettlebells and some stuff from a guy called pavel tsatsouline, but still wasn't too sure. Also how far are you with the planche, because I started a bit of training on it with advice from nelsonroyale I think it was. Then I stopped for a while now i'm interested in starting it again.

Captain Glanton said:
Edit I added a few links in the OP to T-Nation articles about fat loss.

My supps:
I get all my stuff from Biotest [www.t-nation.com]. It's pricey but high quality--although you should put grains of salt in their sales talk, which tends to be, um, overly enthusiastic.

Surge [post-workout shake]
Metabolic Drive [protein powder]
BCAAs
Creatine [which I neglected to mention above, I think; sorry creatine]
Alpha Male [a testosterone booster, which will increase your test. to your body's natural limit; you don't need it if you're young, but I'm 32]
Flameout [fish oil; good for your joints and fighting inflammation generally]

Workouts:
I do total body workouts right now, with a leg exercise, upper body push, and upper body pull in every workout, 3 days a week. I might go in and do some lightweight work [shoulder DB work, arms, and the like] on a 4th day time and energy permitting.

Sunday I did:
Back Squats
5 sets of warmup
455 X 5
475 X 5
495 X 4

Incline Press and Dips
3 sets
A) IP 245 X 5
B) 10 bodyweight dips

Pullups
Suppinated, wide grip, bodyweight + 70 lbs, 60 secs rest between sets

Ninja Warrior pullups [hanging from app. 2" flat edge; I use a support bar between pulley stations]
5 with some regular pullups thrown in at the end

I weigh 215 lbs or so, to give an idea of weight on the pullups. But that's a pretty typical workout. Lots of the basics with lots of intensity. I personally feel everyone who's not preparing for a bodybuilding career should stay away from machines as much as possible. Also, supplements can help you out, but nothing will replace heavy, complex movements, sweat, and eating huge stacks of clean food.

Thanks for that information. I might check out those supplements. I need to improve my diet a bit, but I've been working out pretty regularly for a long time. I just need something to help break through what I'm currently doing.

demon

Nolan. said:
Yeah, I might be adding them soon then. I read a bit on kettlebells and some stuff from a guy called pavel tsatsouline, but still wasn't too sure. Also how far are you with the planche, because I started a bit of training on it with advice from nelsonroyale I think it was. Then I stopped for a while now i'm interested in starting it again.
Ha, I just started. I can do the frogstand for 20 seconds. :) I can do a sorta-halfassed tucked planche for a few seconds but my hips aren't close to level with my shoulders. This shit's hard.

Nolan.

demon said:
Ha, I just started. I can do the frogstand for 20 seconds. :) I can do a sorta-halfassed tucked planche for a few seconds but my hips aren't close to level with my shoulders. This shit's hard.

I can't do the tucked planche yet but i'm close!.

Is there a site with demonstrations/pictures/explanations on what some of these exercises are and their proper forms?

I understand curls/presses/rows and other basic stuff, but I find myself guessing what some of the workouts you guys are doing actually are.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Is there a site with demonstrations/pictures/explanations on what some of these exercises are and their proper forms?

I understand curls/presses/rows and other basic stuff, but I find myself guessing what some of the workouts you guys are doing actually are.

Everyone who is thinking about starting to lift weights needs this book, it's excellent:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YT...oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail

This is pretty good too:

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

YouTube has returned from the dead. Here are some videos.

Here's a 1003 lb squat to parallel. Note the narrow stance and bend in his back at the bottom--that's more of a bodybuilding or traditional squat, which makes what he does all the more impressive.

Here's one of a very wide, deep stance. This is almost an exaggerated version of the style I was describing above. Note also that this is a 148 lb girl who is stronger than you are.

Here's Ronnie Coleman doing 800 lbs X 2. He uses that close, bodybuilding stance.

And finally, never try anything like this. This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Stunts like this make Baby Jesus cry.

I just got back from the gym. Today's workout:

Overhead Squat
115 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 5

Big Sets [don't know what else to call them]
3 sets
a) Overhead Press, 235 X 5
b) Dips, 15 reps
c) Pullups, pronated grip, X 8
d) Pullups, palms facing [aka neutral grip], X 5

Ninja Warrior Pullups
10, 8, 8

Forgotten Ancient said:

A good place to start is www.bodybuilding.com, if you haven't found it already. I use www.t-nation.com, but it tends to be a little more advanced in terms of what they'll demonstrate. YouTube is good if you already know what you're looking for, so if people can ask what specific exercises they need to see, some of us can find proper videos for them.

Just ordered some new knee wraps.

inzer-ironwrap-z-knee-wraps.jpg

For those looking for accessories like this, these are from Inzer, which is at the top of the heap. I also use their wrist wraps--important for those like me with wrist pain from all the typing and gaming you do. I bought my belt from Grizzly, and frankly I like it at least as well as the corresponding belt from Inzer. My old knee wraps were from Grizzly, but I don't think they were as good.

Wraith

When does one stop cutting and start looking to build a bit of muscle? I still have plenty of fat left on my body that I want to burn, but I think I'm stuck in a rut. Might upping my calories and trying to gain some muscle for a month or so let me better meet my fat loss goals, or should I soldier on at 1500 calories on non-lifting/1800 calories on lifting days? I'm ~170 pounds, 5'9"-5'10", probably at about 20% body fat, though my body fat scale is inconsistent at best.

I'm posting in this as a fitness noob. Every now and then I'd do sets of 50 sit-ups for a series of weeks, then stop. Recently I began going to the gym and hopped on one of the cycles, doing two half-hour sets reaching 12.5 miles each. Since then I've been unable to use the same cycles due to their footstraps, which cut into my feet and hurt like a bitch; instead, I've been using cycles with seatbacks and seats which are further back. These feel like a more intense workout, yet are broken into 20 minute sets, during which time I can only get 4.5-5 miles in.

I've also been doing 2-3 miles on the treadmill each day.

I'm 6'8 and weigh about 210, and am working out mostly to feel better and keep my heart in shape. Still, I would like to know a general daily calorie-burning goal for my height and weight, as well as possible ways of toning myself. I don't want to be ripped, but it would be nice to get rid of that little bit of stomach pudge I've got.

Captain,

I bought 4 of the supplements you posted earlier in the thread. I picked up the creatine, the BCAAs, the post workout shake, and the protein powder.

I've taken variations on all those supplements before aside from the BCAAs. Much to my surprise, it recommends taking 4-6 pills 3 times a day! There's just no way I'm going to keep up with that kind of pill popping. I was wondering if you ahdered to the label or if you did something different? I took 4, and think I'll take 4 for awhile until the bottle is used up. Would you recommend otherwise? I'm always suspect of companies trying to overstate their recommendations (especially since a serving size says 3 pills) to get people to burn through product faster.

My basic question is - will I get benefit from taking 4 BCAA pills once a day, or it is worthless if I'm not taking 12-24?

Thanks!

2DMention

Banned
Been walking on the treadmill about 15 min. a day. Kinda boring. I talk to my dad while I do it. I'm just waiting for Wii Fit to come out.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Captain,

I bought 4 of the supplements you posted earlier in the thread. I picked up the creatine, the BCAAs, the post workout shake, and the protein powder.

I've taken variations on all those supplements before aside from the BCAAs. Much to my surprise, it recommends taking 4-6 pills 3 times a day! There's just no way I'm going to keep up with that kind of pill popping. I was wondering if you ahdered to the label or if you did something different? I took 4, and think I'll take 4 for awhile until the bottle is used up. Would you recommend otherwise? I'm always suspect of companies trying to overstate their recommendations (especially since a serving size says 3 pills) to get people to burn through product faster.

My basic question is - will I get benefit from taking 4 BCAA pills once a day, or it is worthless if I'm not taking 12-24?

Thanks!

I use and pimp their stuff, but they are prone to overstatement. Also, I'm in grad school and I can't send their kids to college, too.

I use:
Flameout 3 pills a day, or 5
BCAAs 3 pills half hour or hour before exercise, maybe some on off days
Surge 3 scoops per shake [Surge has BCAAs in it, so that's part of your pillage taken care of right there]
Protein 1 scoop, maybe two if really necessary

I usually really lowball the dosage and then increase it if I feel run down or something. If you're not a CEO or a legitimate or pro competitor, then you don't need their full dosage.

Edit: Answers will be coming for the others who have posted above.

2DMention said:
Been walking on the treadmill about 15 min. a day. Kinda boring. I talk to my dad while I do it. I'm just waiting for Wii Fit to come out.

Cardio is really a pain in the ass to do. I do 20-30 minutes per workout but the only way I can get through it is with listening to music and scoping out women in front of me.

I dunno how i used to do cardio before I had an ipod.

Thanks Captain. I didn't get to make the shakes tonight, but I took 4 BCAAs and creatine.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't like the idea of getting boners in a gym, with my shorts on.

MMaRsu

Thanks for this thread, just started working out again after 6 years or something.

I walk half an hour to work every morning, and walk home half an hour after work too.
I try to go to the gym about 2/3 times a week, but I went for the first time this week and my biceps and triceps still hurt :(. I'm going again today, but just to do some running and work on my abonomen ( or however you write it ).

I'm going to start cooking again so that's good. Over the past year I've barely cooked and ate mostly food that was already prepared and only needed to be microwaved.

Also going to drink more water, it's cheaper and healthier for your skin / body.

Any more tips?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Forgotten Ancient said:
Captain,

Thanks!

I do not advice people to get BCAA pills as they are just under dosed. Since you have them take a bunch just before you head out to the gym or take them soon as you get to the gym. I see no reason for BCAAs outside of your work out times. Next time I would get something like xtend, ice or purple wrath. Those are flavored BCAA powder you can mix up and drink while working out. Xtend has a killer flavoring system. I only use BCAAs when I am cutting to help preserve muscle mass.

I also reached one of my 2007 goals tonight a few weeks late. I am up 15 pounds and my stomach measurement is the same. I got my goal of gaining 15 pounds of lean muscle mass. This years goal is to lose 5 or so inches of my stomach. I would love to get to 35 inches around the naval. My measurements are a little distorted due to a crap load of extra skin from losing 150 pounds. The stomach really sags badly it is my own fault for being morbidly obese for nearly 20 years.

The year has started out awesome so far I have lost 1.5 inches around my gut and kept my weight almost the same only down 1/4 of a pound. Nothing better than losing fat and gaining a little muscle. That is why we ned to take measurements the scale can be full of shit.

Wraith said:
When does one stop cutting and start looking to build a bit of muscle? I still have plenty of fat left on my body that I want to burn, but I think I'm stuck in a rut. Might upping my calories and trying to gain some muscle for a month or so let me better meet my fat loss goals, or should I soldier on at 1500 calories on non-lifting/1800 calories on lifting days? I'm ~170 pounds, 5'9"-5'10", probably at about 20% body fat, though my body fat scale is inconsistent at best.

1500 calories is really low, even at 170 lbs, to be exercising regularly [1800 is just as low for 'workout days']. You will lose fat on that kind of diet for a while, but your progress will bottom out. You're better off adding a few hundred calories a day of lean food. Carrying some muscle--and giving your body the fuel it needs--will help keep your body running at a higher energy level and will burn more fat.

Also, toss those scales that tell you your bodyfat %, everyone. They don't work. Basic scale: 10%--seeing abs; 15%--seeing hints of abs; 20%--what most people would call 'really lean.'

MMaRsu said:
Thanks for this thread, just started working out again after 6 years or something.

I walk half an hour to work every morning, and walk home half an hour after work too.
I try to go to the gym about 2/3 times a week, but I went for the first time this week and my biceps and triceps still hurt :(. I'm going again today, but just to do some running and work on my abonomen ( or however you write it ).

I'm going to start cooking again so that's good. Over the past year I've barely cooked and ate mostly food that was already prepared and only needed to be microwaved.

Also going to drink more water, it's cheaper and healthier for your skin / body.

Any more tips?

I'd bump those gym trips to 4 times a week. Also, while you're starting out, don't worry about your arms. Deadlifts, squats, pullups, dips, rows, overhead presses, power cleans, are all where it's at. Stick to the big complex movements and build that base, then worry about your biceps.

Welcome back!

-viper-

Banned
Question regarding pre and post-workout nutrition.

Is this fine:

Pre:
Creatine
Banana
Whey

Milk
Banana

??

Wraith

Captain Glanton said:
1500 calories is really low, even at 170 lbs, to be exercising regularly [1800 is just as low for 'workout days']. You will lose fat on that kind of diet for a while, but your progress will bottom out. You're better off adding a few hundred calories a day of lean food. Carrying some muscle--and giving your body the fuel it needs--will help keep your body running at a higher energy level and will burn more fat.

Also, toss those scales that tell you your bodyfat %, everyone. They don't work. Basic scale: 10%--seeing abs; 15%--seeing hints of abs; 20%--what most people would call 'really lean.'

Yeah, I actually switched this in the middle of last week. I'm doing 1800 minimum, and I take one day a week to go up to ~2500 and reload. I've gone up to lifting 4 days a week instead of 3 as well. My workouts feel way better now.

Kastro

Banned
anyone have any suggestions for something light to eat before a run, preferably something I can take to work?

My dilemma is that I like to run right after work, so I don't want to have to run home, eat something, wait like an hour, and then go out and run.

So I need something to snack on like an hour before I leave work. I know health gurus usually shun any of those kind of power bar things but it might be my best option if I stick with maybe a low sugar one.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i go old school with a nice sized apple half an hour before i work out, and it gets me through a pretty long run, kastro

Kastro

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i go old school with a nice sized apple half an hour before i work out, and it gets me through a pretty long run, kastro

really, just an apple?

I don't feel like that would be enough for me.. especially with my last real meal being around 12 for lunch and me leaving work to run around 3:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom