• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Inquisitor said:
Alright. I just weighed myself on my digital scale and it says I am 178.6 lbs just in my underwear. I would like to be in the 160s range.

What foods should I be avoiding to hit my target? I have started swimming around a hour a day, and I bike somewhat.

I am 5"9 on the edge of 5"10 and male.

Soda/juice, "junk food" (candy, most boxed desserts, etc), and fast food are probably the major foods that are neither healthy nor good for weight loss. There's all sorts of foods you'll want to consider or reconsider or find alternatives to, but those 3 categories are major ones you should try to avoid. No idea what your current diet is like, but something like a soda, to me, is a desert or a treat that I enjoy once every few weeks at most, not something I drink as a beverage with my meal like many people.

If you could list a general idea of what you eat it'll be easier for us to pick apart things that might be counterproductive towards your goal.

Soka said:
Soda/juice, "junk food" (candy, most boxed desserts, etc), and fast food are probably the major foods that are neither healthy nor good for weight loss. There's all sorts of foods you'll want to consider or reconsider or find alternatives to, but those 3 categories are major ones you should try to avoid. No idea what your current diet is like, but something like a soda, to me, is a desert or a treat that I enjoy once every few weeks at most, not something I drink as a beverage with my meal like many people.

If you could list a general idea of what you eat it'll be easier for us to pick apart things that might be counterproductive towards your goal.

I maybe drink a soda once a month. Scratch that off. :) However, I have developed a bad habit since I finished school of eating 1-2 sandwiches at 2 am, going to sleep, then eating lunch and dinner the next day. I don't eat many deserts, maybe the occasional low calorie ice cream bar we have in the fridge.

I bet if I cut down on my late night snacks i'd see a difference. :lol :lol

I also eat those new baked Lays, ham and swiss sandwiches on wheat bread with lettuce and tomato. Today I made myself green beans with some butter and a garlic clove for flavor, and I have a baked potato with some butter and cheddar.

Had some apple sausage, whole grain rice, and tomato and lettuce salad for dinner. Ate a little bread with it too.

Um, I pretty much eat that. I don't eat tv dinners really. I sometimes have beef taquitos from Costco when they are available, but not on a consistent basis.

Tell me what else you need to know. I have been fighting to get more fruit and vegetables into my house.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The top of my pecks are becoming, what feels to be, two pieces of cast iron metal. It wonderful. I love this whole "working out" thing.

JCX

I think I'm going to start lifting regularly tomorrow. I don't have an exact routine in mind yet, just what I remember from when I used to work out regularly a few years ago.

I do wonder if people are just naturally stronger in one area than another. During the time when I used to work out regularly, my legs consistently got stronger, but my upper body pretty much stagnated in terms of strength.

Slo

BlueTsunami said:
The top of my pecks are becoming, what feels to be, two pieces of cast iron metal. It wonderful. I love this whole "working out" thing.

Dial it back man! Point of no return!

The_Inquisitor said:
I maybe drink a soda once a month. Scratch that off. :) However, I have developed a bad habit since I finished school of eating 1-2 sandwiches at 2 am, going to sleep, then eating lunch and dinner the next day. I don't eat many deserts, maybe the occasional low calorie ice cream bar we have in the fridge.

I bet if I cut down on my late night snacks i'd see a difference. :lol :lol

I also eat those new baked Lays, ham and swiss sandwiches on wheat bread with lettuce and tomato. Today I made myself green beans with some butter and a garlic clove for flavor, and I have a baked potato with some butter and cheddar.

Had some apple sausage, whole grain rice, and tomato and lettuce salad for dinner. Ate a little bread with it too.

Um, I pretty much eat that. I don't eat tv dinners really. I sometimes have beef taquitos from Costco when they are available, but not on a consistent basis.

Tell me what else you need to know. I have been fighting to get more fruit and vegetables into my house.

If you're going for slimming down, I'd say you're on the right track diet-wise. The late night snacks are a bad idea, but you seem to know that already! You seem to mention butter several times, which isn't horrid in small amounts, but it's not the greatest thing either. You could consider cutting back on it or finding alternatives, although that's really just me being nitpicky. Fruit and veggies are good, the best thing about them is finding ways to add them to the rest of your food; sliced up in yogurt or oatmeal, put on a sandwich with meat and cheese, etc. Better than eating them raw, imo, at least the veggies. I fucking hate vegetables without something to go with them.

You said you're doing about an hour of swimming daily,which is great cardio and easy on your joints, but you might want to look into other forms of cardio, such as HIIT; also consider weight lifting as a good form of weight loss.

Glanton,
Since you frequent T-Nation a lot, can you tell me who this dude is:

image002.jpg

Pretty sure he posts articles there, he's a hiker, I just don't know his name/can't find some articles of his.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Mr. Snrub said:
Pretty sure he posts articles there, he's a hiker, I just don't know his name/can't find some articles of his.

Oooh, I think Mr. Snrub has a crush!

:lol

Hey, anyone have any experience with jumping rope? I just picked up a weighted jump rope. I'm gonna give it a go. Here's a neat chart I found:

Bicycling - 6 mph - 240 cals./hr.
Bicycling - 12 mph - 410 cals./hr.
Cross-country skiing - 700 cals./hr.
Jogging - 5 ½mph - 740 cals./hr.
Jogging - 7 mph - 920 cals./hr.
Jumping rope - 750 cals./hr.
Running in place - 650 cals./hr.
Running - 10 mph - 1280 cals./hr.
Swimming - 25 yds/min - 275 cals./hr.
Swimming - 50 yds/min - 500 cals./hr.
Tennis-singles - 400 cals./hr.
Walking - 2 mph - 240 cals./hr.
Walking - 3 mph - 320 cals./hr.
Walking - 4½ mph - 440 cals./hr.

Mr. Snrub said:
Glanton,

image002.jpg

That is a lot of muscle to hike with!!

Mr. Snrub said:
Glanton,

image002.jpg

I don't know his name. I just know they've used his pic as an example in other articles.

Slo

I think he's just a forum poster. I remember there being a huge ass thread in the Physique and Performance forum from him.

vangace

So I just signed up for membership at 24hr Fitness. I am 29, have always been slim and my weight has been constant at 166-170 for the past 10 years. The bad thing about is no matter what I eat my weight never changes and this has been giving a false sense of being health. I have been mainly doing Cardio stuff; treadmill and stationary bike. I have my orientation with a personal trainer so he can show me how to use the other machines. I am newbie when it comes to the gym, the last time I went to the gym was probably 13 years ago when I was still in high school.

Diet wise; I am just horrible, mainly fast food and sodas. Problem is I cannot cook anything worth a shit.

Chichikov

vangace said:
So I just signed up for membership at 24hr Fitness. I am 29, have always been slim and my weight has been constant at 166-170 for the past 10 years. The bad thing about is no matter what I eat my weight never changes and this has been giving a false sense of being health. I have been mainly doing Cardio stuff; treadmill and stationary bike. I have my orientation with a personal trainer so he can show me how to use the other machines. I am newbie when it comes to the gym, the last time I went to the gym was probably 13 years ago when I was still in high school.

Diet wise; I am just horrible, mainly fast food and sodas. Problem is I cannot cook anything worth a shit.
Most personal trainers, especially the ones reduced to making gym orientation are fucking clueless.
Take everything you hear for him/her with a giant grain of salt.

As for your training regime, first, you need to decide on goals. Do you want to improve strength/gain weight?

Also, anyone can learn how to make eggs, fish, chicken etc.

vangace said:

I have good news for you! All you need for a good diet is a can opener for your tuna, a fridge for your fresh fruit, a tap for your water, and a George Foreman grill for your chicken. Eating well is much simpler than it seems.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
vangace said:

It's about time to man up and learn to cook.

Mr.City

My miltary presses start to be wobbly after so many reps. This makes me a little nervous. Is this natural or does my form need work?

RSTEIN

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Okay, because I always eat my oatmeal before working out. I'll put one scoop for pre-work and post-workout I'll make myself a protein shake.

Woah Jason! Stop presses! Why are you having protein before your workout? You should have creatine before and a good isolate protein for after. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having protein before a workout but isolate protein after a workout is more effective (within 30 mins of your workout).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mr.City said:
My miltary presses start to be wobbly after so many reps. This makes me a little nervous. Is this natural or does my form need work?

Could be form. You also might be repping to failure. Probably not so smart if you've got a weight over your cranium, eh? ;)

If it's not your form, add some reps between sets or try a lighter weight. Screwing up a shoulder would probably be worse then dropping a weight on your face long term.

Jirotrom

RSTEIN said:
Woah Jason! Stop presses! Why are you having protein before your workout? You should have creatine before and a good isolate protein for after. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having protein before a workout but isolate protein after a workout is more effective (within 30 mins of your workout).
i've always had protein before and after my workout... usually before my workout its in the form of BCAAs and eggs:p I take a creatine supplement before and after as well.

Whats wrong with taking protein before?

Chichikov

I never understood the science behind pin point timing of protein intake before or after training.
Protein takes few hours to get to the muscles, moreover, your muscles are not built during workout but in between sessions.

Sure, pro-athletes might benefit from super specialized timing of their food intake, but for the most of us, keeping steady and sufficient protein intake is good enough.

deadbeef

Chichikov said:
I never understood the science behind pin point timing of protein intake before or after training.
Protein takes few hours to get to the muscles, moreover, your muscles are not built during workout but in between sessions.

Sure, pro-athletes might benefit from super specialized timing of their food intake, but for the most of us, keeping steady and sufficient protein intake is good enough.

Agreed, it's minutiae. Wouldn't worry about it.

Jirotrom

Chichikov said:

I didnt think it really mattered, I just try to keep it flowing through me consistently.

RSTEIN

Jirotrom said:
i've always had protein before and after my workout... usually before my workout its in the form of BCAAs and eggs:p I take a creatine supplement before and after as well.

Whats wrong with taking protein before?

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it is often recommended to consume protein/carbohydrates before & after. However, I think for Jason it would be more effective to get a good isolate protein to be consumed after working out rather than a general whey protein mix and splitting that up pre/post workout. The oatmeal/whey scoop is great as a pre-workout meal. However, I don't think he's getting enough post workout protein.

Chichikov

RSTEIN said:
Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it is often recommended to consume protein/carbohydrates before & after. However, I think for Jason it would be more effective to get a good isolate protein to be consumed after working out rather than a general whey protein mix and splitting that up pre/post workout. The oatmeal/whey scoop is great as a pre-workout meal. However, I don't think he's getting enough post workout protein.
I still don't see the big deal.
Let's consider splitting your protein intake to before and after the workout.
Neither serving will get to the muscles before you're out of the gym, and both will get metabolized eventually, so the net effect is the same as breaking your chicken breast dinner into two meals, one hour apart.
Now mind you, nothing is wrong with that, quite the opposite actually, studies shows that there are many benefits in breaking your protein intake into many small portions, but the obsession with pre/post workout seem weird to me.

What's important to me is having enough ready energy to finish my exercises strong, and not eating to the level where I feel discomfort working out.
Nothing more, nothing less.

My personal experience has been that taking my pre- and post-workout nutrition more seriously--in the form of taking BCAAs before and a real post-workout shake after--has paid real dividends in my strength and conditioning levels.

Is it possible to get a toned mid-body (stomach, back, etc.) by simple cardio such as jogging?
I can't for the life of me do core ab exercises (get fatigued very easily), it seems as though my lower back gets tired really easily after not that many reps.

Currently, I am pretty satisfied with my weight (~166lbs at 5'10") and build (average), with my only goal this summer being to tighten/tone my mid-body. I am not sure if it is fat or skin, but my mid-body sections are quite soft.
Anyway, can anyone recommend me some exercises to do or is jogging good enough? Right now I am trying to maintain a schedule of jogging 30mins to an hour every two days.
I also tried some Ab Ripper X program thing for a while, but I stopped doing that now until I get a yoga mat... though those exercises are pretty hard for me to pull off (fatigue).

Leshita said:
Is it possible to get a toned mid-body (stomach, back, etc.) by simple cardio such as jogging?
I can't for the life of me do core ab exercises (get fatigued very easily), it seems as though my lower back gets tired really easily after not that many reps.

Currently, I am pretty satisfied with my weight (~166lbs at 5'10") and build (average), with my only goal this summer being to tighten/tone my mid-body. I am not sure if it is fat or skin, but my mid-body sections are quite soft.
Anyway, can anyone recommend me some exercises to do or is jogging good enough? Right now I am trying to maintain a schedule of jogging 30mins to an hour every two days.
I also tried some Ab Ripper X program thing for a while, but I stopped doing that now until I get a yoga mat... though those exercises are pretty hard for me to pull off (fatigue).
Your ab and lower back fatigue should tell you that you should strengthen those muscles. Weakness there can lead to all kinds of problems down the road, and you'll feel like shit if you find yourself having to do something very strenuous.

Those washboard abs are mostly a product of diet and cardio, but you do need to have muscle there to form the washboard to begin with.

Captain Glanton said:
Your ab and lower back fatigue should tell you that you should strengthen those muscles. Weakness there can lead to all kinds of problems down the road, and you'll feel like shit if you find yourself having to do something very strenuous.

Those washboard abs are mostly a product of diet and cardio, but you do need to have muscle there to form the washboard to begin with.

I agree I need to strengthen those muscles, but would say the Ab Ripper X program do that for me, or should I seek another exercise routine?
Usually I do have quite a lot of stamina though when jogging, playing basketball, or doing labour work, it's just that I cannot do sit-ups and the like much. I will try and fight through the fatigue though while doing the ab workouts after I get my Yoga mat later this week. :p
Also, I don't really want washboard abs, just want a toned-look and more tightness.

Jirotrom

Leshita said:

strengthen your abs and lower back, its very very VERY important. you are getting tired doing the workouts, so what... its not supposed to be easy.

Anywho what kind of fatigue are you getting, soreness or breathing? I honestly think you need to build some stamina, thing is I have no idea as to what your diet is but your weight seems just about fine with your height. Results can be seen relatively quickly with your physique.

I do only 2 ab workouts as of right now... "roman chair", ( at least thats what I call them) and ab pull downs using the tricep pull down cables. doing those incombination with some high intensity cardio should get you seeing definition in no time, If I was at your weight which I doubt I could ever get to at this point with out muscle loss, I would be f'n ripped.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Captain Glanton said:
My personal experience has been that taking my pre- and post-workout nutrition more seriously--in the form of taking BCAAs before and a real post-workout shake after--has paid real dividends in my strength and conditioning levels.
What do you eat for your re-post workout meals?

Jirotrom said:
strengthen your abs and lower back, its very very VERY important. you are getting tired doing the workouts, so what... its not supposed to be easy.

Anywho what kind of fatigue are you getting, soreness or breathing? I honestly think you need to build some stamina, thing is I have no idea as to what your diet is but your weight seems just about fine with your height. Results can be seen relatively quickly with your physique.

Soreness mainly, currently I am not following any strict diet, but I have absolutely cut Carbonated drinks from my diet for a while now and general junk foods like chips I usually do not eat. I try to balance my diet with fruits and vegetables whenever I can, though I do like eating meat. I also often times don't eat breakfast.
My sleeping schedule is fucked up though since I usually do not sleep earlier than 3am, time to change that.

jacf29

Banned
Just posting an update on week 3:

Start: 203 pounds

End of week 1: 201 pounds

End of week 2: 199 pounds

End of week 3: 196.5 pounds

I can't believe I have lost almost 7 pounds in 3 weeks! Will my weight loss slow down anytime soon? I'm now doing situps/pushups every other day and 30 minutes elliptical. On the other days I run 3 miles.

Jirotrom

Leshita said:
Soreness mainly, currently I am not following any strict diet, but I have absolutely cut Carbonated drinks from my diet for a while now and general junk foods like chips I usually do not eat. I try to balance my diet with fruits and vegetables whenever I can, though I do like eating meat. I also often times don't eat breakfast.
My sleeping schedule is fucked up though since I usually do not sleep earlier than 3am, time to change that.
well...lets take some steps to see what the problem is... for the next 3 days, document what you eat and when you eat it, also when you sleep and wake up... don't change anything just right it down. Later start documenting your exercises, basically you will start to map out what causes you to be extremely fatigued.

I have to get to bed now though, im waking up at 5.30 for some racquetball and weights:D

lethial

Reeeeeeee
jacf29 said:
Just posting an update on week 3:

Start: 203 pounds

End of week 1: 201 pounds

End of week 2: 199 pounds

End of week 3: 196.5 pounds

I can't believe I have lost almost 7 pounds in 3 weeks! Will my weight loss slow down anytime soon? I'm now doing situps/pushups every other day and 30 minutes elliptical. On the other days I run 3 miles.

Good job, the first few weeks you lose water weight and yes, it does slow down. But don't let the slower weight loss discourage you, it'll hopefully make you WANT to work harder.

I have just discovered this thread at a time when I'm just starting to want to get in better shape. Maybe you guys can give me a good push in the right direction.

I'm male, 5' 7", and I weigh 200 pounds. I've got wide shoulders, no arm muscles, no ab muscles (could never do a sit up, even as a small kid), and tree-trunk legs. I used to weigh about 150 pounds till I got an office job 3 years ago and I've balloon'd up since then.

I've never eaten red meat, pork, or fish because I don't like the taste. I do eat chicken, turkey, and sometimes tofu. My hours at work encompass lunch and dinner 4 days out of the week. While I'm at work I can't make hot food (no microwave, stove, or toaster). So, I tend to either order out Italian/Chinese food a lot or eat cold turkey sandwiches. I do drink a lot of juices (orange, grape, cranberry) and have no problem eating fruits and vegetables. I do admit that I enjoy desserts and snacks waaaay too much.

In general, I'd like to lose the 50 pounds I gained when I started my desk job. I'd also like to develop more upper body/ab muscles. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who never really had a workout routine? Any suggestions on how to make cold lunches/dinners more interesting while keeping healthy? And finally, are there any specific supplements I should be taking being that I don't eat red meat, pork, or fish?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Qwerty710710 said:
What do you eat for your re-post workout meals?
Lately, I've been very strict, with plain chicken, plain lettuce, and water. I might get crazy and go get a reasonably clean sandwich from Quizno's or something.

Stormwatch said:
I have just discovered this thread at a time when I'm just starting to want to get in better shape. Maybe you guys can give me a good push in the right direction.

I'm male, 5' 7", and I weigh 200 pounds. I've got wide shoulders, no arm muscles, no ab muscles (could never do a sit up, even as a small kid), and tree-trunk legs. I used to weigh about 150 pounds till I got an office job 3 years ago and I've balloon'd up since then.

I've never eaten red meat, pork, or fish because I don't like the taste. I do eat chicken, turkey, and sometimes tofu. My hours at work encompass lunch and dinner 4 days out of the week. While I'm at work I can't make hot food (no microwave, stove, or toaster). So, I tend to either order out Italian/Chinese food a lot or eat cold turkey sandwiches. I do drink a lot of juices (orange, grape, cranberry) and have no problem eating fruits and vegetables. I do admit that I enjoy desserts and snacks waaaay too much.

In general, I'd like to lose the 50 pounds I gained when I started my desk job. I'd also like to develop more upper body/ab muscles. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who never really had a workout routine? Any suggestions on how to make cold lunches/dinners more interesting while keeping healthy? And finally, are there any specific supplements I should be taking being that I don't eat red meat, pork, or fish?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Did you see post 3336?

Captain Glanton said:
Did you see post 3336?
Geez, how'd I miss that one? Sorry for not reading that before posting. I'd still like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make eating healthy more interesting for someone who has dietary restrictions such as myself. And, what am I'm missing that I need to supplement due to those restrictions?

Thanks again

RSTEIN

Chichikov said:
I still don't see the big deal.
Let's consider splitting your protein intake to before and after the workout.
Neither serving will get to the muscles before you're out of the gym, and both will get metabolized eventually, so the net effect is the same as breaking your chicken breast dinner into two meals, one hour apart.
Now mind you, nothing is wrong with that, quite the opposite actually, studies shows that there are many benefits in breaking your protein intake into many small portions, but the obsession with pre/post workout seem weird to me.

What's important to me is having enough ready energy to finish my exercises strong, and not eating to the level where I feel discomfort working out.
Nothing more, nothing less.

I've read tons of stuff that says that there is in fact a small window (about 30 mins) post workout where protein intake is most effective. I'll search for it later (I'm actually typing this between sets :D)

Leshita said:
can't for the life of me do core ab exercises (get fatigued very easily), it seems as though my lower back gets tired really easily after not that many reps.
You have to start somewhere. When I started I couldn't do 25 standard crunches. After a while I could do it no problem. Then I did 50. Then I went to 100. Now I do 500. Also, switch up your ab work. The standard crunch is the least effective movement. Try doing reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, vertical crunches.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stormwatch said:
Geez, how'd I miss that one? Sorry for not reading that before posting. I'd still like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make eating healthy more interesting for someone who has dietary restrictions such as myself. And, what am I'm missing that I need to supplement due to those restrictions?

Thanks again

I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of red meat. I've been a vegetarian for over a decade now. There really aren't any nutrients you're going to miss out on as long as the rest of your diet is sound.

I don't know if you can get a hold of nutrition info from the Italian and Chinese places you are frequenting, but chances are, you are intaking a ton of fried foods, sodium, cheeses, and processed carbs. If the Italian place has whole wheat pasta, that'll be better, easy on the Parmesan and Romano. Chinese might be more problematic. White rice is crap. See if they have brown. You could see if they could steam the dishes for you too and get sauce in a container on the side and use it sparingly. Washing lunch down with juice may not be helping either if it's standard "juice" which is nearly pure sugar.

Sounds like you have sandwiches already on the menu. Make sure you're not slathering with mayo and piling up an inch of processed cheese. If you are, just start cutting back until you've adjusted to a more healthy sandwich.

Fruit is super easy to buy and prepare. You can cut up a ton of melon in the summer and just go nuts. It'll fill you up when you're hungry.

Oh, and speaking of nuts, you can portion out some walnuts and almonds for snacks too. They're really good fats and they'll give you a nice energy boost.

You can also do salad with little or no dressing. I like spinach leaf or mixed greens with a small amount of nuts, dried and fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of good cheese.

For fitness, I'd start slowly. Work on core exercises if you're going to do it at home. The diet will be a big change straight away and it'll make a big difference. If you have a gym you can hit, do something low impact to start and ramp up as you start to become conditioned and add in muscle building work as you see fit.

Jirotrom

urk said:
White rice is crap.
I've grown up on white rice, to deny it is like denying my blood. Anywho, just got back from the gym and while my workout was good, I think I played my worst games of racquetball in a long time:(

Struct09

Jirotrom said:
I've grown up on white rice, to deny it is like denying my blood. Anywho, just got back from the gym and while my workout was good, I think I played my worst games of racquetball in a long time:(

White rice is fine. The difference in nutrients between a serving of white rice and brown rice is pretty small. The key is to watch your portion size of white rice as the calories can add up pretty quickly.

Of course brown rice is technically superior, and I even prefer the taste/texture, but it's fine if you prefer white rice.

RSTEIN

White anything is pretty much a waste. White bread, white pasta, white rice, etc. etc. I've really tried to shift everything to whole grain/whole wheat.

beer has wheat, right?

Is jogging 3-4 times a week + thaiboxing a nice combo of exercise? Will I tone my body?

Edit: I will also eat right blabla bla jibba jabba.

Nooreo

Well guys i couldn't sleep today,why? i'm on a daily walking routine so i come home its 10 PM and i feel uber tired i try and go to sleep and my legs are aching to the point where i cant even sleep i had to pull and all nighter, i even stretched it relived the aching for about 3 minutes and it came back, and i woke up with a head ache and i aint going to school, also the aching is going away thank god :D,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom