• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Slo said:
I'm glad you've decided to do something. That's an important first step. Now stop talking and start doing! CG put a lot of work into the initial post, now it's your turn to put the effort into reading it.

Slo and others that keep hammering on about "READ THE FUCKING OP" might sound annoying, but they are right. If you can't take 15-20 minutes to read the OP, how can you then expect yourself to stick to a strict 3-4 a week regimen that requires dedication and willingness to do?

just spotted this thread. i used to be very fit. now at 25, without gym for a few months, i'm really struggling. i have 180cm (5'11 i think) and 81 kilos (180 pounds?).

its not really a problem, but i just hate the fat concentrated on the belly reagion.

i have a chronic problem with coca cola. 2 liters every day, i really can't stop. i'm addicted to it, just like people that smoke.

i wish there was a drug to take that would cut my desire for the drink. then when i say that to my friends, they just reply to me: "stop being a wuss and quit"

anyone here that can relate with a soda/coke problem?

what's the best thing to do?

reilo

seattle6418 said:
i have a chronic problem with coca cola. 2 liters every day, i really can't stop. i'm addicted to it, just like people that smoke.

i wish there was a drug to take that would cut my desire for the drink. then when i say that to my friends, they just reply to me: "stop being a wuss and quit"

See a psychiatrist. Seriously.

seattle6418 said:
just spotted this thread. i used to be very fit. now at 25, without gym for a few months, i'm really struggling. i have 180cm (5'11 i think) and 81 kilos (180 pounds?).

its not really a problem, but i just hate the fat concentrated on the belly reagion.

anyone here that can relate with a soda/coke problem?

what's the best thing to do?
Cold fucking turkey. And read a little advertising history, to get a better idea of why you want it so much.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
There are various ways to tackle a soda problem.

You can try gradual substitution from like soda to diet to tea to water.

You could try sipping instead of guzzling. (sounds silly but i'm told it works)

You could try going caffeine-less soda and then going cold turkey. (which is what i do for quick, positive results)

reilo

Oh yeah. My friend had a great recipe he had for a friend of his to try to get him to quit soda. I don't know it exactly, I'll ask him when he's on later.

Basically, he took cranberry/raspberry juice and mixed it with sparkling water. He said it tasted really great and got his friend off of soda very quickly - and it's healthy to boot.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Captain Glanton said:
Have you read the OP?

Just a suggestion..if it fits and if you can edit the thread title, add *Guide for Beginners First Post* or something like that in asterix. If not PM a mod and see if they'll help, it would reduce some of the clutter.

Zaptruder

Banned
Drink flat cola.

You'll stop drinking it very quickly.

The day that I had no pity in seeing a 2 litre bottle of coke go down the toilet was a great day.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
is it really so hard to switch to diet coke if you're so desperate? i mean, jesus fucking christ, "it doesn't taste as good" isn't a valid reason to not switch when you're aware it's slowly fat-sizing your pathetic ass. and i say that so freely only because i've been there and made the switch myself.

Dead

well not really...yet
Captain Glanton said:
Have you read the OP?
Oh I did, though I guess I missed a few things.

But I still have a couple of questions based on some of the stuff I read in the thread (that I didn't notice in the OP)

Like, should I aim for a variety in terms of daily meal preperations? Or is there some adverse effect to just making the same stuff every day (I noticed most of the posts in the thread detailing their meal schedules seemed to be the same for the whole week except weekends)

Also you seem to stress eating eggs or just egg whites. Should just stick to hard boiled and avoid scrambled all the time when preparing them?

Not really big questions, just little stuff like that

lopaz

Banned
So like, how important is warming up/stretching? I've just been doing small weight lifts, situps, pressups etc in my room without bothering to do any warmup cause I have no idea what would work. Is this going to do long-term damage? I've felt mostly fine so far apart from sometimes having minor aches in my arms.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Dead said:
Like, should I aim for a variety in terms of daily meal preperations? Or is there some adverse effect to just making the same stuff every day (I noticed most of the posts in the thread detailing their meal schedules seemed to be the same for the whole week except weekends)

If your going to be weightlifting/bodybuilding, mix up your Proteins (or any other nutrience your going to be taking in massively). Turkey, Fish, Chicken and Lean Red Meat. Alternate between them.

Everything else (fruit, vegetables, protein drinks and eggs) can be consumed everyday (I do atleast)

Dead said:
Also you seem to stress eating eggs or just egg whites. Should just stick to hard boiled and avoid scrambled all the time when preparing them?

I just eat the whole dang thing. Some people complain about the cholestrol or something in the egg yolk but whatever. You have it hardboiled or scrambled but when you scramble it your including something else that you might now want in your diet (like butter). If you do it without butter, it seems like it should be fine to me.

lopaz said:
So like, how important is warming up/stretching? I've just been doing small weight lifts, situps, pressups etc in my room without bothering to do any warmup cause I have no idea what would work. Is this going to do long-term damage? I've felt mostly fine so far apart from sometimes having minor aches in my arms.

Warming up is very important, stretching is an area where people disgree on though.

Warming will help with preping the muscle for heavy lifting. Not warming up and you'll run into muscle tearing and I think soreness (going from cold to heavy weights usually results in more muscle soreness the next day and not the good kind). I usually do really light weights before the workout to get the motion down (depending on the workout I'm doing). If I have time, I'll jog for 10 minutes (before the workout).

As far as stretching? I did it at first but been reading that its not necessary (during the workout). Stetching IS good but I do it on off days. On the other hand, I've been reading that stretching during a workout helps with blood flow and can be beneficial during a workout. So its all up to you.

lopaz said:

I don't stretch before or during lifting because it negatively affects the stretch-reflex ability of your muscle and actually reduces power output. However, some people swear by it as a preventative measure. I do a full body warmup--rowing is my fav, moderate pace, about 5 minutes.

Dead said:
Oh I did, though I guess I missed a few things.

But I still have a couple of questions based on some of the stuff I read in the thread (that I didn't notice in the OP)

Not really big questions, just little stuff like that
Eggs: I just put three in the skillet each morning and heat until they're done, with one piece of cold wheat bread to mop up the yolks. Simple as could be.

Variety is good, but you'll find that there's a finite number of good lean meats to choose from: tuna, chicken, turkey, very lean ground beef. You'll have a little better luck with fruits and vegetables.

Vanish

Do training vests like the xvest help improve your strength and help make you bigger? would it be stupid to, in addition to using during excercise, to use it casually throughout the day? thanks

Vanish said:
Do training vests like the xvest help improve your strength and help make you bigger? would it be stupid to, in addition to using during excercise, to use it casually throughout the day? thanks
They are more likely to make your heart and lungs stronger than your shoulders or something.

I believe I've seen Wanderlei Silva wearing one while doing his snorkel training--but if you are not Wanderlei Silva, just going for a short walk with it should be all the work you'll need.

Chichikov

So after all this talk about the xvest we had a few pages back (and here again) I managed to get my dirty little hands on one for the last weekend.
I was really impressed with it, really comfortable, and I like the fact that it tighten very firmly on your core, it engages your muscles there and it feels very good.
The only negative things I could find are that you can't really do pullups with it (shoulders get in the way) and that changing weight is a bit time consuming (you work individual 1 pound cylinders).
But those are minor issues, I had loads of fun with it and I'm going to buy one soon.

p.s.
5 sets of 14 stairs at 56 pounds is fucking murder.
I nearly fainted at the end.

Chichikov said:
p.s.
5 sets of 14 stairs at 56 pounds is fucking murder.
I nearly fainted at the end.

For the fire department, we have to wear a 75 lb. vest for 3:00 minutes at a rate of 60 stairs a minute. It sucks.

Great article on carb intake: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/Articles/howmanycarbs.html

So let's sum up, looking at both practical minimum and maximum carbohydrate intakes under different circumstances. For the g/lb recommendations, I'll use a lifter with 160 lbs of lean body mass and put gram amounts in parentheses

Physiological requirement: 0 g/day

Practical minimum to avoid excessive muscle breakdown: 50 g/day Practical minimum for individuals who function poorly in ketosis: 100 g/day

Note: all above values assume no exercise.

Additional amount to sustain low intensity exercise: minimal approaching zero

Additional amount to sustain weight training: 5 grams carbohydrate/2 work sets

Typically recommended amounts by bodybuilding experts: 1-3 g/lb (160-480 g/day)

Typically recommended amounts by mainstream nutritionists: 2-3 g/lb (320-480 g/day)

Average intake for endurance athletes: 5 g/kg or a little more than 2 g/lb (320 g/day)

Recommended intake for endurance athletes: 7-10 g/kg or 3-4.5 g/lb (480-720 g/day)

Practical maximum for non-carb loading individuals: 8.8 g/kg or 4 g/lb (640 g/day)

Maximal intakes for carb-loading: 16 g/kg or 7 g/lb (1120 g/day)

Summing up: So, in looking at possible carbohydrate intakes, we can find a pretty drastic range from an absolute minimum of zero grams per day all the way up to 1120 g/day for someone trying to maximize glycogen storage. For most of the diets described in these books, the 1-3 g/lb values will probably be most appropriate. More on that later.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I've been doing on ton of snatches lately. Yeah, I know.

Anybody else use kettlebells?

Chichikov, I know quite a few people who use the X-Vest with pull-ups. I don't own one, but from pics, it doesn't appear that the straps would impinge the shoulders. I generally just hook a weight on my foot and go from there.

Slo

Guys, I've got a big problem. How do I get people to appreciate me for my mind, and not just view me as a sex object? I am not just a piece of meat!

lil smoke

Banned
I've been loving the 5x5, but I've gone back to 10x3 for a little bit. It seems to incorporate more of the endurance aspect. You know, you get to rep 7 and feel fatigued, but you push those last 3. With 5x5 it all seems to be over so quick (maybe not enough weight?)

urk said:
I've been doing on ton of snatches lately. Yeah, I know.

Anybody else use kettlebells?

I had been using kettlebells since early on, back in...2003 I think? Before they got big. Fun stuff, but not the miracle tool they were marketed as. Still a pretty valuable part of training. I had to leave my collection at home when I moved :( Thinking about buying one here soon to help with conditioning workouts.

lil smoke said:
I've been loving the 5x5, but I've gone back to 10x3 for a little bit. It seems to incorporate more of the endurance aspect. You know, you get to rep 7 and feel fatigued, but you push those last 3. With 5x5 it all seems to be over so quick (maybe not enough weight?)

5x5 killed me on higher weights, at least with squats. Are you doing the same weight for each set, or ramping up the weight each set?

You may not be using enough weight. Many times, by set three, I thought I wouldn't be able to get another rep. Usually around rep 3, thinking "Can't do anymore." And literally, grinding out the last two reps, hitting your sticking point, dropping down a gear, slowly inch up. Hurts to think about it.

yacobod

Banned
Slo said:
Guys, I've got a big problem. How do I get people to appreciate me for my mind, and not just view me as a sex object? I am not just a piece of meat!

quit going to the gym and start hanging around starbucks

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
5x5 killed me on higher weights, at least with squats. Are you doing the same weight for each set, or ramping up the weight each set?

You may not be using enough weight. Many times, by set three, I thought I wouldn't be able to get another rep. Usually around rep 3, thinking "Can't do anymore." And literally, grinding out the last two reps, hitting your sticking point, dropping down a gear, slowly inch up. Hurts to think about it.
True. But with 5x5 you will be lifting much more than normal, and I tend to get conscious. I guess I have a fear of getting the weights stuck over me. I have never wanted to be the guy to have to roll the weight down over my stomach and legs just to get off the bench :lol

lil smoke said:
True. But with 5x5 you will be lifting much more than normal, and I tend to get conscious. I guess I have a fear of getting the weights stuck over me. I have never wanted to be the guy to have to roll the weight down over my stomach and legs just to get off the bench :lol

No brahs to lend ya a spot?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mr. Snrub said:
I had been using kettlebells since early on, back in...2003 I think? Before they got big. Fun stuff, but not the miracle tool they were marketed as. Still a pretty valuable part of training. I had to leave my collection at home when I moved :( Thinking about buying one here soon to help with conditioning workouts.

Cool. I've had mine for a number of years as well.

No fitness method is the miracle tool it is marketed as. Most people would rather softly pad on a treadmill for half an hour while they watch Judge Judy instead of grinding out squats.

I've been working on my VO2 max and I'm getting about 240 snatch reps on a 36:36 protocol (Gymboss to time). Pretty nasty stuff. I love it.

I'm about to switch up again, but right now I'm doing 5x5 MP, 5x5 weighted pull-ups, and 5x5 Ab Wheel rollouts twice a week, and 3x5 Squat, 3x5 Renegade Rows, and 3x5 Windmills on two other days.

VO2 max to close, alternating with the 16kg and 24kg bell every other day. The 24kg is a smoker.

Yeah, I had the 16kg and 24kg (two of each) and friends had other sizes. I was gonna get the 2 pood last year, but never got around to getting the money.

I love the kettlebell for upperbody and core conditioning but I always missed my barbell squats. Front squatting with kettlebells wasn't the same and even though I could bust out one-legged squats easily, it just wasn't the same :( For a while I would do a full body routine at the gym on Monday and Friday, and a kettlebell workout on Wednesday, sometimes Saturday outside with friends.

I never got into the super high rep stuff (mainly because my apartment had no air conditioning and even with chalk, my hands would get moist and ripped up) and instead used a lot of intervals/circuit training. I was considering helping shell out for an RKC class so I could actually start training people, but some crazy BS politics have arisen in the past year or two thats sort of turned me off from the whole thing...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mr. Snrub said:
I was considering helping shell out for an RKC class so I could actually start training people, but some crazy BS politics have arisen in the past year or two thats sort of turned me off from the whole thing...

lol Cotter.

I've got a 16kg, two 20kgs, two 24kgs, a 28kg, and a 32kg. I love front squats and pistols with the kettlebells, but yeah, they do feel a lot different on the core. And obviously if your game is building or mass, they aren't anywhere near the best tool.

I really has to work on my technique when I upped the volume. From the lock out at the top of the snatch, I am pretty much pitching the bell off the heel of the hand and catching it with my fingertips to avoid the roll through the pad beneath the fingers. At peak, I approach a thousand snatches a week and my hands are doing just fine. I've never used chalk.

I had Mahler work me up some routines a while back and put on about 15 pounds in a couple of months using only kettlebells. Pretty wild.

Chichikov

urk said:
Chichikov, I know quite a few people who use the X-Vest with pull-ups. I don't own one, but from pics, it doesn't appear that the straps would impinge the shoulders. I generally just hook a weight on my foot and go from there.
Maybe because it was slightly too big for me but the shoulder pads prevented me from straightening my arms unless unless I was in a super wide grip.

In any case, not a big deal, I don't need any help with weighted pullups (I use a belt).

Mr. Snrub said:
For the fire department, we have to wear a 75 lb. vest for 3:00 minutes at a rate of 60 stairs a minute. It sucks.
That sounds like hell.

I ran up the stairs (I think I was around 3 stairs per second but I'm not sure, I'll measure it once I get my vest and start doing it routinely) took the elevator down, got weird looks from the neighbors, rinsed, repeated.

Slo said:
Do brain kickbacks.

Slo said:

Did anyone notice the dog sleeping in the background :lol ? He doesn't move at all despite the loud music and shouting by the guy. Hilarious!!

Mr. Snrub said:
I don't stretch before or during lifting because it negatively affects the stretch-reflex ability of your muscle and actually reduces power output. However, some people swear by it as a preventative measure. I do a full body warmup--rowing is my fav, moderate pace, about 5 minutes.

What do you mean by not stretching? Do you mean you don't do any extra-range of motion movements? Because just about any exercise will require you to stretch in some way even if the stretch is to do the actual exercise, rowing itself stretches a large set of muscles. Also stretching during exercise (at least for me) isn't about increasing range of motion it is about allowing bloodflow into the muscles after very strenuous contraction. It allows better muscle recovery for the next set. I guess what I am saying is you can 'stretch' without doing yoga and having the negative effects you are talking about.

urk said:
I really has to work on my technique when I upped the volume. From the lock out at the top of the snatch, I am pretty much pitching the bell off the heel of the hand and catching it with my fingertips to avoid the roll through the pad beneath the fingers. At peak, I approach a thousand snatches a week and my hands are doing just fine. I've never used chalk.

I, obviously, have never used kettle balls because other than the words snatch and chalk I have no idea what you are talking about :).

Slo

An "athletic training center" just opened up near my work and I visited it today. It was basically an Olympic lifting training center, with walk-out squat racks and lifting platforms through out the whole place. All brand new equipment weighted in kilos. Plus a nice area for filming and analyzing your performance with a pretty sweet computer program. The coach seemed to know his stuff and was REALLY enthusiastic.

Guy said I'd be squatting 3 times a week, and I began to cry.

I'm not sure if I'm going to join yet because my schedule requires a lot of flexibility and their training sessions did not. Still, it's a pretty awesome thing to have in a small city like mine.

BigGreenMat said:
What do you mean by not stretching? Do you mean you don't do any extra-range of motion movements? Because just about any exercise will require you to stretch in some way even if the stretch is to do the actual exercise, rowing itself stretches a large set of muscles. Also stretching during exercise (at least for me) isn't about increasing range of motion it is about allowing bloodflow into the muscles after very strenuous contraction. It allows better muscle recovery for the next set. I guess what I am saying is you can 'stretch' without doing yoga and having the negative effects you are talking about.

Obviously, putting a muscle through a full ROM will stretch it. I don't touch my toes before and after squats, is what I'm saying. A good full body warm up beforehand will get enough blood flowing for me. Stretching before sets has always has a detrimental effect for me (though not to a dramatic degree). I just stretch afterwards or on my days off.

Slo said:
An "athletic training center" just opened up near my work and I visited it today. It was basically an Olympic lifting training center, with walk-out squat racks and lifting platforms through out the whole place. All brand new equipment weighted in kilos. Plus a nice area for filming and analyzing your performance with a pretty sweet computer program. The coach seemed to know his stuff and was REALLY enthusiastic.

Guy said I'd be squatting 3 times a week, and I began to cry.

I'm not sure if I'm going to join yet because my schedule requires a lot of flexibility and their training sessions did not. Still, it's a pretty awesome thing to have in a small city like mine.

Awesome.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, when you're dreading a specific exercise, it's pretty much a sure sign you should be incorporating them into your routine.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
Obviously, putting a muscle through a full ROM will stretch it. I don't touch my toes before and after squats, is what I'm saying. A good full body warm up beforehand will get enough blood flowing for me. Stretching before sets has always has a detrimental effect for me (though not to a dramatic degree). I just stretch afterwards or on my days off.
I don't know man, sure you're going to get a higher "bounce" of a non stretched hamstring, but that’s a very little benefit (you’re training your muscles, not the elastic properties of your cold tendons) for the increased risk.
Not to mention that stretching and lifting while properly stretched increase your flexibility which is super important.

Chichikov said:
I don't know man, sure you're going to get a higher "bounce" of a non stretched hamstring, but that’s a very little benefit (you’re training your muscles, not the elastic properties of your cold tendons) for the increased risk.
Not to mention that stretching and lifting while properly stretched increase your flexibility which is super important.

I think you guys are missing the point. Stretching the muscle and increasing bloodflow to warm a muscle CAN be exist separate. Biking or rowing for 5-10 minutes before working out warms the muscles and tendons sufficiently enough.

As for "you're training your muscles", that statement is subjective. For a powerlifter, they're training to get stronger/lift a heavier weight. The stretch-reflex is INCREDIBLY important in the bench press and squat. Part of the reason deadlifts are so difficult and straining is that there is no eccentric movement to "load" the muscle with. It may not matter much with 135 on the bar, but it can mean the difference between a missed rep or not when on the last rep of a set or going for a max effort.

lil smoke said:
:lol :lol I've never seen that but I'd probably die right there in the gym from laughter. I can barley type this shit right now, just from imagining someone doing that.

Practical Programming page 136 said:
The majority of data available indicates that pre-training stretching neither reduces the frequency of injury nor effectively improves flexibility, the two areas in which it is supposed to provide benefit. Studies of marathon participants failed to show a difference in injury rates between athletes who stretched before the race and those who did not. But wait, there's more! Evidence from studies on vertical jump and broad jump performance indicates that pre-event stretching actually reduces power output, and other studies suggest that this is true for other explosive activities, such as weightlifting, as well. This may be due to a reduction in the effectiveness of the stretch-reflex portion of the concentric contraction caused by proprioceptive reset during the stretch.
If pre-training stretching doesn't increase flexibility or reduce injuries, what does? Proper warm-up safely does both. The loaded human body moving through its maximum range of motion actually provides a stretching stimulus for the antagonist muscle groups, the very ones that are tight. (The agonists cause the motion around the joints, while the antagonists resist or decelerate that motion. A lack of extensibility in the antagonists is the usual cause of flexibility problems.) A number of studies have shown an increase in flexibility as a result of complete-range-of-motion weight training. Improvements in hip and knee flexibility on the order of 40% or better are commonly experienced. Thsi is because proper form requires complete range of motion of the involved joints and, if proper position is maintained, the weight puts the body into a properly stretched position at the bottom of each rep, exposing the antagonists to a stretch stimulus each time the load is moved. This obviously requires good form, and good coaching. Properly done, each weighted rep provides a better stretch than an unweighted traditional stretch, because the complete range of motion is easier to reach with the help of the weight. More importantly, and most especially for the hamstrings, the postural position of the back--the very critical lumbar extension that must be maintained to fully stretch the hamstrings--is best accomplished with a loaded spine, since the load gives the spinal erectors some resistance to contract against for efficient curvature. It is common to see athletes attempt to stretch the hamstrings with a rounded lower back; this cannot be done effectively.
If traditional stretching exercises are desired, they should be done at the end of the workout, when the muscles are warm and the stretch will not interfere with performance.

This isn't a "I'm right, you're wrong" post, but this is what I go by. Everyone has a different point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom