• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiuhm

Jirotrom said:
sorry... im Nigerian, white rice isn't ever going:p its the grain of the world:p

LOL, being a Nigerian too, I know what you mean, cutting white rice out of my life is impossible.

On a side note are you Yoruba, Igbo, etc?

Jirotrom said:
sorry... im Nigerian, white rice isn't ever going:p its the grain of the world:p

First you guys get a bad rap for being the source of a lot of bad internet practices, and now they want to take your white rice!!! Just criminal.

urk, thank you for the advice. I'll definitely try to stay away from over-cheesing my sandwiches. I am not a condiment eater, so I don't use things like mayo anyway. I'm gonna try to skip out on ordering Itatlian/Chinese food for a while when I'm at work. It has gotten waaaay too expensive.

I'm gonna try to pick up some almonds soon to have as a snack. Are the almond yogurt granola bars ok? Or, do they have too much added sugar/fat? I also have a lot of fruit around the house. I recently bought a whole bunch of oranges from Stew Leonards that were some of the best I've ever had. Are there certain fruits that are better than others? I tend to enjoy the sweeter fruits such as oranges, pineapples, and honey dew melon. Are these just as healthy as apples, bananas, and grapes?

Thanks again!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Depends on the brand for granola bars. They'll range from pretty healthy snacks to sugar bombed candy sticks. I don't do them too often, so maybe somebody else can clue you in to the best brands.

Fruit is good. Eat as much as you like.

Mr.City

Stormwatch said:
urk, thank you for the advice. I'll definitely try to stay away from over-cheesing my sandwiches. I am not a condiment eater, so I don't use things like mayo anyway. I'm gonna try to skip out on ordering Itatlian/Chinese food for a while when I'm at work. It has gotten waaaay too expensive.

I'm gonna try to pick up some almonds soon to have as a snack. Are the almond yogurt granola bars ok? Or, do they have too much added sugar/fat? I also have a lot of fruit around the house. I recently bought a whole bunch of oranges from Stew Leonards that were some of the best I've ever had. Are there certain fruits that are better than others? I tend to enjoy the sweeter fruits such as oranges, pineapples, and honey dew melon. Are these just as healthy as apples, bananas, and grapes?

Thanks again!

Snack-wise, I like to go with a cup of low fat yogurt, half a cup of almonds and a couple of apples.

Argh! I hate it when you sometimes buy a supplement, it doesn't come with a measuring cup. Luckily, it's a 30grams per serving, so that's about 1/4 cup.

Anyway, I bought strawberry flavor on accident. Hopefully it tastes good with oatmeal. :D

Jirotrom

BigGreenMat said:
First you guys get a bad rap for being the source of a lot of bad internet practices, and now they want to take your white rice!!! Just criminal.
dont remind me...

Stormwatch said:

Thanks again!
Snack wise I eat Fiber One bars and nuts, kashi cereal, and that yoplait digestive tract yogurt stuff:p

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Argh! I hate it when you sometimes buy a supplement, it doesn't come with a measuring cup. Luckily, it's a 30grams per serving, so that's about 1/4 cup.

Anyway, I bought strawberry flavor on accident. Hopefully it tastes good with oatmeal. :D
How far down did you dig? I've gotten Biotest powder up to my damn forearm sometimes.

And I find that Strawberry is a good safe flavor once you get past Chocolate and Vanilla. Green Apple is to be purged from the earth.

Do you guys think it's alright to add egg whites into my shake, even though i have whey protein powder added in the drink? I really don't want to waste the egg whites now.

lil smoke

Banned
FITNESS.gif

Ya'll like the banner?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Do you guys think it's alright to add egg whites into my shake, even though i have whey protein powder added in the drink? I really don't want to waste the egg whites now.

Raw or cooked?

Cooked, why not? More protein!

Struct09

Captain Glanton said:
I believe I saw that your body actually can't/struggles to aborb the protein from eggs. Rocky lied to us.

Denaturing egg protein does indeed make it easier for enzymes to break down. Also, consuming too much raw egg whites can lead to a biotin deficiency. The process of denaturing protein may sound bad, but it's actually beneficial.

To answer the question, it's probably not a good idea to add raw egg whites to your shake.

Well, the system is now letting me edit the OP again. So now we have two OP's, #1 and #3336. I will try to maintain both, because I don't trust GAF to not randomly fuck up #1 again.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You may get more protein from cooked eggs but it's about 10 times easier and quicker to eat raw eggs than cooked, and it doesn't fill me up as much. A three-egg omelet fills me up a lot more than six raw eggs, and it takes way more time to prepare.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just hard boil or scramble them. Either way, eggs are important! And Tuna.

Also, my dad got a hold of some measuring tape and measured my Bicep. 15 1/2in :D My father has got 17 1/2 and my sisters boyfriend has 14 1/2. Too bad I didn't measure it at first but now I have.

On another note, I'm finally starting to get the V shape for my upper body. Lots of back workouts and pullovers (which expand the chest). I just really need to drop the bodyweight/fat (Cardio and Diet = lksjflksj). But weightlifting itself is dropping it little by little.

aznpxdd

Uh kinda stupid question, but you just swallow the raw egg whole or what? There's no need to worry about bacteria or anything?

Jirotrom

demon said:
You may get more protein from cooked eggs but it's about 10 times easier and quicker to eat raw eggs than cooked, and it doesn't fill me up as much. A three-egg omelet fills me up a lot more than six raw eggs, and it takes way more time to prepare.
if it takes you a long time to fry up some eggs, its taking you too long... what kind of cookware are you using.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Hey guys. Which protein supplement do you recommend?
I have a friend who works at gnc who can give me pretty damn good discounts.

BlueTsunami

Bad_Boy said:
Hey guys. Which protein supplement do you recommend?
I have a friend who works at gnc who can give me pretty damn good discounts.

From what I've used, Myopro EAS, Designer Whey and Gold 100% Whey are the best ones.

EAS mixes EXTREMELY well with water, it literally dissolves after 20 seconds of light stirring with a spoon. You also can probably get 5lb of the stuff for $50 at GNC (which equals out to 75 Servings).

Designer Whey tasted the best but I remember it mixing a step below EAS.

Gold 100% Whey was good but it mixed horribly but it tasted better than EAS (which isn't really an issue since EAS makes the drink taste like water with a hint of vanilla).

I would personally recommend EAS Whey but if you want a better tasting protein drink, Designer Whey is the way to go.

I'm very jealous of you guys that seem to build upper body strength easily, yet can't do anything with your calves. I'm 5'9"-ish and ~173lbs, doing what I can to try and bulk up, and my biceps are a paltry 12.5in. Calves are a more respectable 15in. and my thighs (measured halfway between my torso and kneecap) are a bit over 22in. I'm more than happy with my legs, and while my arms and chest and even back are starting to look more muscular and I'm managing to ramp up the weights on my lifts bit by bit, I just am not getting growth in my arms like I would like. I'll be posting my routine up here in the next week to see if I'm perhaps missing out on something for my arms. I'm a relatively small frame, so I may just be damned to eternal small-arms. My wrists are only 6.5in around. :( I took all these measurements with me simply standing, no flexing, which is I'm assuming is how measurements are often taken.

On the bright side, I've really come into looking forward to and loving weight lifting and cardio, even if I'm left with sore muscles and soaked in sweat after most of my workouts.

jacf29

Banned
I've been working a lot recently, and looking for alternatives to food I can make that are nutritionally rich. I have looked at panera bread company, quiznos, and subway, yet can't find anything that is filling, 500 or less calories, and rich in nutrients. Any suggestions?

Jirotrom

jacf29 said:
I've been working a lot recently, and looking for alternatives to food I can make that are nutritionally rich. I have looked at panera bread company, quiznos, and subway, yet can't find anything that is filling, 500 or less calories, and rich in nutrients. Any suggestions?
pack a lunch... sorry, but you need to just take your time and put your daily food together, its not that difficult. Shit gets busy sometimes, but always tell yourself there are 24 hours in a day, theres more than enough time.

jacf29

Banned
Jirotrom said:
pack a lunch... sorry, but you need to just take your time and put your daily food together, its not that difficult. Shit gets busy sometimes, but always tell yourself there are 24 hours in a day, theres more than enough time.

There are only 16 hours in my day. That is because over my life I have figured I need 8 hours of sleep a day. Take away the 10 hours that I work and there are only 6 hours in my day. Take away the hour I exercise and that number goes down to 5 hours.

I see your point though. But I am also studying Japanese which takes up about 3 hours every day. That gives me only a few hours of free time not including all the other necessary shit I have to do. It's so damn stressful.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BlueTsunami said:
From what I've used, Myopro EAS, Designer Whey and Gold 100% Whey are the best ones.

EAS mixes EXTREMELY well with water, it literally dissolves after 20 seconds of light stirring with a spoon. You also can probably get 5lb of the stuff for $50 at GNC (which equals out to 75 Servings).

Designer Whey tasted the best but I remember it mixing a step below EAS.

Gold 100% Whey was good but it mixed horribly but it tasted better than EAS (which isn't really an issue since EAS makes the drink taste like water with a hint of vanilla).

I would personally recommend EAS Whey but if you want a better tasting protein drink, Designer Whey is the way to go.
Thanks BT. I'm a vanilla flavor freak, would it be fine mixing that specific flavor with milk instead of water? (personally i was just gonna try putting protein/milk/ice into a blender before and after my workout).

I dunno how i did it (probably the poor college life), but im back down to a skinny 145lbs. Trying to get my weight back up over the summer. I'd be content with 160. I'm not that tall. I'm required to run at work, so I don't want to get too big that i end up being slower with less endurance. But I would like to put some muscle on this frame.

BlueTsunami

Bad_Boy said:
Thanks BT. I'm a vanilla flavor freak, would it be fine mixing that specific flavor with milk instead of water? (personally i was just gonna try putting protein/milk/ice into a blender before and after my workout).

I don't do it but the guys I workout with do. They use Orange Juice instead of milk (with Ice and a Banana). I tasted it a couple of times and it was totally fine. Milk should be good too.

Bad_Boy said:
I dunno how i did it (probably the poor college life), but im back down to a skinny 145lbs. Trying to get my weight back up over the summer. I'd be content with 160. I'm not that tall. I'm required to run at work, so I don't want to get too big that i end up being slower with less endurance. But I would like to put some muscle on this frame

Thats a hard position to be in. The only way to make great gains is lots of Protein intake. I personally am on the opposite scenario (need to drop weight) but when it comes to lean muscle, eating atleast half 1:1 Ratio of Protein grams to Lean Body Weight intake and I've been making gains at a moderate pace. I would imagine your food consumption is very important if your trying to gain weight.

Soka said:
I'm very jealous of you guys that seem to build upper body strength easily, yet can't do anything with your calves. I'm 5'9"-ish and ~173lbs, doing what I can to try and bulk up, and my biceps are a paltry 12.5in. Calves are a more respectable 15in. and my thighs (measured halfway between my torso and kneecap) are a bit over 22in. I'm more than happy with my legs, and while my arms and chest and even back are starting to look more muscular and I'm managing to ramp up the weights on my lifts bit by bit, I just am not getting growth in my arms like I would like. I'll be posting my routine up here in the next week to see if I'm perhaps missing out on something for my arms. I'm a relatively small frame, so I may just be damned to eternal small-arms. My wrists are only 6.5in around. :( I took all these measurements with me simply standing, no flexing, which is I'm assuming is how measurements are often taken.

On the bright side, I've really come into looking forward to and loving weight lifting and cardio, even if I'm left with sore muscles and soaked in sweat after most of my workouts.

What's your routine? What are you eating?

Jirotrom

jacf29 said:
There are only 16 hours in my day. That is because over my life I have figured I need 8 hours of sleep a day. Take away the 10 hours that I work and there are only 6 hours in my day. Take away the hour I exercise and that number goes down to 5 hours.

I see your point though. But I am also studying Japanese which takes up about 3 hours every day. That gives me only a few hours of free time not including all the other necessary shit I have to do. It's so damn stressful.
I dont know about you but my workouts are my stress relief, It gets really difficult when you are busy but I'll tell you what I do. On weekends I usually cook something large I know I can have as one of my meals all week. Next I purchase a lot of tuna, to aid in a second meal. Then there are the 2-3 protein shakes a day.

That two hours can be used to quickly prepare the foods you need for the next day, it doesn't need to be extravagant, it takes me 30 minutes to put together foods for a day if i don't cook.

Things like chicken breast can be made way in advance. Salads can be a simple thing to pick up on the go, use your judgment you know whats healthy and wants not. Buying a can of nuts and spreading it out through the week is a quick and healthy snack as well. It sucks being stressed but its very possible, at least you are working out, that has to relieve some of it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Jirotrom said:
if it takes you a long time to fry up some eggs, its taking you too long... what kind of cookware are you using.
I don't like always frying them up, and for whatever reason that method of preparation stinks up my apartment far worse than scrambled or omelets. Besides, yes, the difference between the time it takes to fry several eggs and the time it takes to down several raw eggs is significant in certain circumstances.

Sniper McBlaze said:
Is jogging 3-4 times a week + thaiboxing a nice combo of exercise? Will I tone my body?

Edit: I will also eat right blabla bla jibba jabba.

This is pretty much what I've been starting to do. But lately I've been upping the Muay Thai/MMA and less running. Not especially concerned about my diet but have started to skip the most unhealthy things(soda, candy, fast food and so on).

And holy shit boxing and wrestling is giving me excellent results. I've only been at it like 4-5 weeks and it's already started to show pretty much. More muscle mass and better defined body. I've never really been fat and I'm kind of a long guy but to get nice defined muscles is just something that I've found hard to get. The strength and cardio involved in thai and mma is exactly what I needed.

Can't recommend it enough really. And it's so damn fun too, especially if you have a friend to start doing it with so you can pressure eachother.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BlueTsunami said:
I don't do it but the guys I workout with do. They use Orange Juice instead of milk (with Ice and a Banana). I tasted it a couple of times and it was totally fine. Milk should be good too.

Thats a hard position to be in. The only way to make great gains is lots of Protein intake. I personally am on the opposite scenario (need to drop weight) but when it comes to lean muscle, eating atleast half 1:1 Ratio of Protein grams to Lean Body Weight intake and I've been making gains at a moderate pace. I would imagine your food consumption is very important if your trying to gain weight.
Thanks again BT for the good advice. :)

lil smoke

Banned
Killed my shoulders today :D

I'm in a month back at the gym and close to full force, and FINALLY I feel good! Took awhile, but all the tiredness and lack of energy is gone! It just hit me yesterday morning... for the 1st time, I jogged back from the gym instead of walking.

OP banner: I'm posting the jpeg image, since the white background blends better. The transparent BG on the gif looks better on the light gray GAF BG, but OP is on a dark gray BG! (for those of you who even think about things like this)

FITNESS.jpg

Jirotrom

demon said:
I don't like always frying them up, and for whatever reason that method of preparation stinks up my apartment far worse than scrambled or omelets. Besides, yes, the difference between the time it takes to fry several eggs and the time it takes to down several raw eggs is significant in certain circumstances.
when I say fry up i mean scrambled. It takes 5-10 minutes to make scrambled eggs.

lil smoke

Banned
Jirotrom said:
when I say fry up i mean scrambled. It takes 5-10 minutes to make scrambled eggs.
You can just throw that shit in the micro. 2-3 minutes tops. However, I enjoy real fried eggs with Old Bay seasoning and pepper.

jacf29 said:
Simplify.

It takes me about a minute to make a lunch: plain lettuce in a tupperware, plain tuna in a tupperware, and water.

Bad_Boy said:
I dunno how i did it (probably the poor college life), but im back down to a skinny 145lbs. Trying to get my weight back up over the summer. I'd be content with 160. I'm not that tall. I'm required to run at work, so I don't want to get too big that i end up being slower with less endurance. But I would like to put some muscle on this frame.
You should know that if you have a physical job, you will have to eat that many more calories a day to gain muscle.

Glanton, thanks for the info. Admittedly, it's not something I know too much about. I had an interest in adding raw eggs to my shakes. I had asked on another forum about raw eggs in shakes, here's what I got:

Ok, here's the deal on raw eggs. The protein in raw eggs is not bioavailable (or as bioavailable) as that of an egg that is cooked on a hot skillet for even 60 to 90 seconds. So Giranda recommended you cook the eggs for just a quick time, nothing big just long enough to cause those needed changes to occur in the eggs protein structure. They're still pretty close to raw, and they still blend perfectly.

This is from an old book by Bill Starr

"Biotin is one of the B complex group of which we know surprisingly little, but the facts that we do have are very useful to the athletes. Many athletes, in their quest to obtain large quantities of protein in the simplest manner,include raw eggs in a high protein milkshake. It is very convenient and easy to take.

Unfortunately, there is a potential problem of eating uncooked eggs and this is where biotin comes in. There is a substance in raw egg white called avidin which combines with the biotin and prevents the B vitamins from reaching the bloodstream. Cooking the eggs removes the avidin and the problem"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom