• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIIT: For now, just mark off 40 yards or so outside. Sprint it as many times as you can, 3 times a week.

Go buy an ab roller, "AS SEEN ON TV."

Cycle through these:
Pushups
Ab Roller
Bodyweight Squats
Lunges

Pick rep numbers that are somewhat challenging. Go through the cycle 5 times, 3 days a week. Your goal should be to feel worn out at the end of the workout.

Do all that and eat a clean diet of water, lean protein, fruit, and vegetables for three months. Don't miss a workout for any reason, and don't cheat yourself on your diet. Then come back, and you should be ready to make the next big step.

Also, the last boss in Heavenly Sword can suck my dick.

Tanned Greyface said:
:lol

Ok, I've searched through the thread and all I see are snide asides regarding WiiFit. Can I get some definitive statements from the regulars in this thread (if you're not already tired of giving your advice to family and friends who jumped on the Wii bandwagon)?

Is WiiFit good for cardio at the least or is it essentially a chimera?

My mom picked up WiiFit, and I've played around with it some. I pretty much agree with everyone else on here, it's not a substitute for weight lifting or cardio, but the stretching exercises can be useful, and if you're someone who did no physical activity prior to using WiiFit, it is better than nothing. Hell, it might even help encourage people to look into more effective forms of weight loss/muscle building.

It is definitely very fun, though. The Balance Board is bad ass and I'm pretty excited for future games that will use it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I give up on leg workouts. Squatting and leg presses are just too fucking awkward for me. I can't get the form right, even with help from the pros, and lunges are just bad for your knees.

So anyway, starting Monday, I'm going to start flipping over a tractor tire (even though it'd be more of a total body workout). Maybe start out at 25 yards and build my way up. At my apartment, I've been skipping every 2 steps, lifting off one leg at a time. I do it 20 times and it tightens my quads up after doing them. I don't expect to get my legs huge from just doing them, but keeping them shape is good enough for me. Maybe with me eating more, I can get some of that fat to my legs. =\

Lame. Who are the "pros"? The trainers at the gym you're going to, most likely don't count.

Tire flips are a great exercises. But for your legs and gaining leg size, nothing matches squats.

lil smoke said:
Yeah, squats are not an enjoyable movement. I do it every now and then, but with little enthuse and probably the amount I put on isn't really what it should be.

I know that I'm an upper body kinda person. Chest stuff has been easy since I was in the 9th grade, but even back then I could not squat for shit. What is it about squats? I don't mind leg press, curl, extensions... they all hurt and burn like hell, but at least I don't feel like my legs are going to give out. My shits feel like wet noodles when I start decending :lol

Pretty sure every single dude in the gym is an upper body kinda person. :lol

Squats hurt like hell, but you are missing a valuable component of a workout if you are skipping out on them.

As the great Bill Starr put it, "I happen to believe that if you enjoy every exercise there's something missing from your routine."

Tanned Greyface said:
:lol

Ok, I've searched through the thread and all I see are snide asides regarding WiiFit. Can I get some definitive statements from the regulars in this thread (if you're not already tired of giving your advice to family and friends who jumped on the Wii bandwagon)?

Is WiiFit good for cardio at the least or is it essentially a chimera?

I mean, I personally wouldn't use it for cardio or anything. If the games can help my balance, sure, why not. It would probably also help me a lot with the desire to stretch. Yoga can be great for your body and I've been looking into starting it up.

I'm sure we'll get some WiiFit success stories. But I view it as more of a first step or a doorway onto better thing. Much better, more complete, things.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
There was this skinny dude at the gym yesterday, he put 2 45s on a straightbar (to bench). I was like, holy crap this dude is awesome then he proceeded to push the weight off the rest and bring it down then flail about as if he was convulsing. I was going to go over and help him but his last push which made is back arch rather high, got it up and he placed it back on the rest. Ouch

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Lame. Who are the "pros"? The trainers at the gym you're going to, most likely don't count.

Tire flips are a great exercises. But for your legs and gaining leg size, nothing matches squats.
leg pressing works pretty well.

BlueTsunami said:
There was this skinny dude at the gym yesterday, he put 2 45s on a straightbar (to bench). I was like, holy crap this dude is awesome then he proceeded to push the weight off the rest and bring it down then flail about as if he was convulsing. I was going to go over and help him but his last push which made is back arch rather high, got it up and he placed it back on the rest. Ouch
I enjoy watching those sorts of displays.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:

Squats hurt like hell, but you are missing a valuable component of a workout if you are skipping out on them.

As the great Bill Starr put it, "I happen to believe that if you enjoy every exercise there's something missing from your routine."
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I'll stop bitching and suck it up.

BlueTsunami said:
Shit that is funny. But, skinny guy at least got it up. Hope his back is ok. :lol

Hey, I'm not that skinny, but I'm sorta like that guy. People always want to spot me or just stare cuz I look like I can't lift the weight. I'll let 'em spot me (pretending to struggle slightly), but on the second set, I'll throw 2 more 45s, and toss it up for 7 more reps. Suddenly Mr. Tough Spotter is moaning and groaning, struggling to not embarrass himself in front of me. Sometimes, I deliberately do these things just to show the big guys not to underestimate the smaller guys.

I guess that's what skinny guy was trying to do but it didn't turn out as expected!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I didn't mean to be snooty about Wii Fit. Yes, if it gets an otherwise inactive person off the couch sure it's better than nothing. What I hate to see is people looking to Wii Fit as a way to "get back into shape." Save the $100 or whatever it costs and read this thread.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RSTEIN said:
I didn't mean to be snooty about Wii Fit. Yes, if it gets an otherwise inactive person off the couch sure it's better than nothing. What I hate to see is people looking to Wii Fit as a way to "get back into shape." Save the $100 or whatever it costs and read this thread.

The same people seeking the magic pill are the same to claim that nothing works. You're dead on. Wii Fit is better than nothing, and if it prompts someone to get their heart rate up a few times a week, then good on anyone who uses it.

Not everyone is looking for elite, or even advanced fitness. Some people just want to shed a couple of inches for the summer and have some fun while doing it.

lil smoke

Banned
What people forget (and what Snrub was just trying to tell me right above) is that it isn't always supposed to be fun, and if it is, it may not be as effective as you might like.

Part of getting in shape (fuck that... MOST of it) is the discipline aspect. Turning on a Wii and gyrating around in front of the good ol TV doesn't take much mental effort. Waking up early, getting out of a comfy bed, carrying a bike downstairs, and riding for an hour is fun, AND takes some discipline and mental toughness. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a deliberate daily choice, and takes discipline. Going to the gym and working yourself beyond the pain threshold takes mental toughness and a serious work ethic. This mentaility will give you results, not only physically or just in the gym, but in all aspects of life.

Go ahead and play with your little Wiis in the comfort of your living room if you want, but you still arent gaining what it takes to make any serious changes to your life, because you aren't sacrificing your comfort zone. You're really just faking yourself out. I think this Wii Fit thing is a bad thing, but pretty typical of American lifestyle. People want to believe what they want to believe, and they'll find plenty of ways to rationalize and avoid the real truth.

Mr.City

I'm not looking forward to going back to the gym today. Well, actually I kind of am. I think the worse of this cold is over with, but I'm a tad worried about coughing up mucus while running

NotWii

Banned
I'm no Wii Fit fanatic, but some people are losing significant kilos with the auto fitness plan thing.

I think I might have to get it tomorrow!

Jirotrom said:
leg pressing works pretty well.

Not nearly the same. There is no hip extension and the mechanics are significantly different, not to mention the leg press is a single plane movement, while the squat challenges you on 3 axes. There's a reason why guys who squat 10 plates can do that much on the leg press, easy, but guys who only leg press 10 plates can't squat 10 plates. Make sense?

Oh, and for what it's worth, regarding this WiiFit debate: I own a Wii (happily) and think WiiFit COULD do well. The interactivity/having a trainer is what some people "need", and if it helps, good for them! But...it's not really for me. At all.

Mr. Snrub said:

I think I'm one of the few people that is the opposite. As much as squats burn, I love doing them, because it's the largest amount of weight I push on any single exercise and I just like seeing several big plates on the bars, I guess. Sort of a simplistic reason to like it, but it is satisfying in some way. And lunges, not as much weight on them, but I still love 'em.

I like that quote about not enjoying everything.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
lil smoke said:
Part of getting in shape (fuck that... MOST of it) is the discipline aspect.

There's nothing inherently incorrect about what you've said here, but I think plenty of people in the fitness community should realize that not everyone, and in fact very few people, are looking to achieve maximal fitness and conditioning. So while the Wii might have a place next to a barbell or a sandbag, it might fit perfectly well in the living room of a guy and his girlfriend who just want to do something a little more active a few times a week. Sure, they won't reach their peak physical conditioning, but so what? Few people ever will. And if they can drop a couple of pounds using a video game and it's something they can stick with, then I don't see the problem with it.

Chichikov

Soka said:
I think I'm one of the few people that is the opposite. As much as squats burn, I love doing them, because it's the largest amount of weight I push on any single exercise and I just like seeing several big plates on the bars, I guess. Sort of a simplistic reason to like it, but it is satisfying in some way. And lunges, not as much weight on them, but I still love 'em.

I like that quote about not enjoying everything.
I’m with you, I find displacing plenty of weight to be rewarding, in an almost primitive way.
So yeah, I love deadlifts and squats.
Well, to be completely honest, I love them 99% of the time.
I love them when waking up, when going to the gym, when warming up, after finishing them, when going to sleep and on my day off.
While actually doing them, well, not as much...

Ace 8095

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I give up on leg workouts. Squatting and leg presses are just too fucking awkward for me. I can't get the form right, even with help from the pros, and lunges are just bad for your knees.

Mark Rippetoe said:
There are very few certainties in the gym, except that if you don't squat, you're a pussy.

Don't be a pussy.

Struct09

Mr. Snrub said:
:lol :lol :lol

One of my favorite quotes of his.

Also: "If you absolutely have to wear lifting gloves, just make sure they match your purse."

Bah, I respect Rippetoe, but that one is lame. I've lifted both with and without gloves, and my girlfriends tend to be much happier when my hands aren't blistered and calloused to hell.

Struct09 said:
Bah, I respect Rippetoe, but that one is lame. I've lifted both with and without gloves, and my girlfriends tend to be much happier when my hands aren't blistered and calloused to hell.

Well, looking at it from his perspective (getting as strong as you can), gloves are more of a detriment than anything else. How many competitive lifters do you see wearing gloves?

My girlfriends have just had to deal with getting scratched by a callous every so often. Relationships are about sacrifice :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Get a callous file. Once a week, after a hot shower, do two minutes of work to rid yourself of callous.

I do plenty of snatches (lol) with a kettlebell. They're quite notorious for shredding hands. Mine are nice and supple.

yacobod

Banned
i used to hate doing legs, and probably quit doing them for around 3-4 years, i recently started squatting 2 times a week for the past month or two, and now i can say i enjoy them again

i do 5x5 on monday, and then do like 3x10 on friday or saturday

yesterday i switched back to barbell bench, after switching to dumbbell only for a month, i was pretty pleased that I didn't lose any barbell strength, usually when i go from barbell ----> dbs -------> barbell, i always come back to barbell weaker

I did 225, 245, 265, 275 x 5, then did 225 for 12 at the end

A memory of John McCallum's (from http://www.martygallagher.com/page/4/):

I remember watching Reg Park workout one time. He was doing squats. He had half the weights in the gym draped across his shoulders and the owner biting his nails in case the wood floor broke. Park did rep after rep and each one looked like the last. One of the guys watching nudged me and said,

“Have you ever seen anyone work harder than that?”

“No.” I said. “I haven’t. I never saw anyone with more muscle either.”

We watched Park finish his workout. Then we went out for a bite to eat and the guy said. “Do you think it’s really necessary to workout that hard?”

“Sure.” I said. “Don’t you?”

He thought for a minute. “I dunno. I never worked that hard but I got a few muscles.”

“Sure.” I said. “But you look like somebody’s mother-in-law alongside Park.”

The guy munched his sandwich with a pained look.

“That’s what makes the difference.” {hard work} I said. “Anyone can work out easy with moderate weight and develop a fair body. That’s what most trainees do. But hard work on the right exercises is what separates the champions from everyone else.” I bite into my sandwich and chewed it down. “How much do you squat for reps?”

“Around two-fifty.” He said.

“Okay.” I said. “So your muscles have grown enough to handle two hundred and fifty pounds, and that gave you some fair development. But Park was using over 500 for reps! That means his muscles have grown enough to handle twice what you do. And that, pure and simple, is why he has so much more muscle than you.” He looked like he was thinking about it so I continued. “Reg Park was at your stage of development at one time. He probably squatted 250 and had a corresponding level of development. But the difference with Park is that he had the ambition and mental drive to keep forcing the weights upward even after he had a nice build. He wanted to be the best so he kept adding weight a few more pounds at a time. Now he looks like Superman.”

The guy finished his sandwich. “You figure that does it, eh?”

“Right.” I said. “Correct exercise, tremendous weights, and hard, hard work. It’s simple as that.”

PatzCU

RSTEIN said:
I don't know about those push-ups but I've done a lot of research on ab exercises. General conclusions:

- Most back injuries arise because because lift with their back instead of PULL with their abs.
- The standard sit-up/crunch is scientifically proven to be the least effective ab exercise.
- You should focus on: reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, & vertical crunches.
- If you're going to do a sit-up (i.e. lifting your entire torso off the ground perpindicular to the floor) do not bend your knees. Spread your legs and flatten them. Again, pull with the abs, do not lift with the shoulders/back.

Good info to know. I just read the OP to make sure I'm not missing anything here. I started a normal workout routine again about 6 weeks ago, and I feel like my core is definitely the weak link in my workout. I know this will sound horrible, but my usual thing to do is roughly 100 crunches everyday after I'm done working out.

The crunches aren't really challenging me anymore and I'm getting some freakishly unbalanced muscle growth in my abs. Can you link me to a good site for reference on how to do some of the above exercises? I know the 'bicycle' crunches are great for you, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do them correctly. Maybe there is a less technical way to get a good ab workout in?

Thanks!

lil smoke

Banned
urk said:
There's nothing inherently incorrect about what you've said here, but I think plenty of people in the fitness community should realize that not everyone, and in fact very few people, are looking to achieve maximal fitness and conditioning. So while the Wii might have a place next to a barbell or a sandbag, it might fit perfectly well in the living room of a guy and his girlfriend who just want to do something a little more active a few times a week. Sure, they won't reach their peak physical conditioning, but so what? Few people ever will. And if they can drop a couple of pounds using a video game and it's something they can stick with, then I don't see the problem with it.
To clarify, I'm not referring to gamers who are playing a game while doing light activity.

I'm more on the people who like to defend WiiFit as a means of proper exercise. For example, we shouldn't be talking about WiiFit in this thread. No one should be able to cmd-f and find the word Wii.

Maybe I got carried away because I know people that are too lazy to get up off their ass. I do hate lazy people.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
PatzCU said:
Good info to know. I just read the OP to make sure I'm not missing anything here. I started a normal workout routine again about 6 weeks ago, and I feel like my core is definitely the weak link in my workout. I know this will sound horrible, but my usual thing to do is roughly 100 crunches everyday after I'm done working out.

The crunches aren't really challenging me anymore and I'm getting some freakishly unbalanced muscle growth in my abs. Can you link me to a good site for reference on how to do some of the above exercises? I know the 'bicycle' crunches are great for you, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do them correctly. Maybe there is a less technical way to get a good ab workout in?

Thanks!

Most of them can be found here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exe...dominals&Equip=BodyOnly&Isolation=&order=Name

Struct09

lil smoke said:
'm more on the people who like to defend WiiFit as a means of proper exercise. For example, we shouldn't be talking about WiiFit in this thread. No one should be able to cmd-f and find the word Wii.

Why not? It works great as something to get you monitoring your weight and stretching your muscles, and even encourages you to eat better and do activities outside the game. Plus, this is the official fitness thread of a gaming web site.

I think the vast majority of people know that Wii Fit isn't a complete fitness solution.

Christopher

Struct09 said:
Why not? It works great as something to get you monitoring your weight and stretching your muscles, and even encourages you to eat better and do activities outside the game. Plus, this is the official fitness thread of a gaming web site.

I think the vast majority of people know that Wii Fit isn't a complete fitness solution.

Talk about Wii Fit all you want, who gives a shit - it's worthless, but hey whatever gets you motivated.

Anyway - What are you guys drinking as your protien? Anyone have any protien shakes that they make by mixing the weigh whey with anything? Tips ideas??

Christopher said:
Talk about Wii Fit all you want, who gives a shit - it's worthless, but hey whatever gets you motivated.

Anyway - What are you guys drinking as your protien? Anyone have any protien shakes that they make by mixing the weigh whey with anything? Tips ideas??
My first lunch:

whey protein powder
skim milk
raw oatmeal
natural peanut butter
diet soda of some type

It's like a super-protein natural version of, well, I'm not sure what. But I love it. My 'second lunch' is tuna and fruit or whatever.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
DO NOT BUY ANY PRODUCTS BY GO FITNESS, AKA GO FIT. THEY FUCKING SUCK. MY VEST FELL APART TODAY AFTER I'D HAD IT ABOUT A WEEK.
Who could’ve imagined that a website showing a picture of girl doing one legged ball assisted triceps kickback on its main page would suck?

2cg1pjo.jpg

SuperAndroid17 said:
Hey guys , Ive been taking supplements for about 4months now , cycling off creatine in this month and Ive been taking 4 months of protein shakes on and off. I was thinking of stopping and going the natural protein food area since my budget wont allow me to buy alot of supplements anymore. I will continue to work out every day and week... but since I wont be taking these things anymore.. .what will change? size ? strength?

thanks

anyone else?

Chichikov said:
Who could’ve imagined that a website showing a picture of girl doing one legged ball assisted triceps kickback on its main page would suck?

2cg1pjo.jpg
IT WAS THE ONLY BRAND I WAS GOING TO FIND IN TOWN. I NEEDED IT TO GET IN SHAPE TO MOVE. AN OLD FRIEND CAME INTO TOWN. MY CAR RAN OUT OF GAS. LOCUSTS. IT WASN'T MY FAULT I SWEAR TO GOOOOOOD.

Zaptruder

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
DO NOT BUY ANY PRODUCTS BY GO FITNESS, AKA GO FIT. THEY FUCKING SUCK. MY VEST FELL APART TODAY AFTER I'D HAD IT ABOUT A WEEK.

Man, and you were so happy with your vest.

Just pile on some fat, and you'll get a natural vest. You'll be able to lose it again, and in the end, you're gonna be stronger, fitter, faster!

Mr.City

Captain Glanton said:

Aw man, sorry to hear about your vest. Why not get one of those vests that mothers use to carry their babies. Load it with weight or perhaps a fat midget who could encourage you by singing "Eye of the Tiger"

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
you know I was actually holding out for a week to ask you about that vest, now I know.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Is there a relatively cheap protein supplement of any kind that I can buy? It seems like most of them are $40 or $50 but come in containers so big that I wouldn't doubt NASA astronauts stock them up for year long missions. I'm looking for something in the $10 or $20 range if that's possible. I'm sort of unsure and reticent about trying it out in the first place, so I wanted something cheap that I could use for a short time.

Struct09

Christopher said:

Heh, Wii Fit is definitely not worthless. You don't have to like it, but it's great for what it is. Wii Fit is not what gets me motivated, I've been a fitness and nutrition freak for many years now.

It's sad that Wii Fit is getting hated on in this thread. There's a progress thread on the gaming side where people are tracking their stats with Wii Fit, and it's motivating some to change their lifestyles.

lil smoke

Banned
Struct09 said:
Heh, Wii Fit is definitely not worthless. You don't have to like it, but it's great for what it is. Wii Fit is not what gets me motivated, I've been a fitness and nutrition freak for many years now.

It's sad that Wii Fit is getting hated on in this thread. There's a progress thread on the gaming side where people are tracking their stats with Wii Fit, and it's motivating some to change their lifestyles.
Yeah, I probably said too much in this thread, perhaps too opinionated, and not my place... but hey we all have our philosophies. I think motivation comes from something deeper than any video game though. (oops I'm doing it again :lol )

Mgoblue201 said:
Is there a relatively cheap protein supplement of any kind that I can buy? It seems like most of them are $40 or $50 but come in containers so big that I wouldn't doubt NASA astronauts stock them up for year long missions. I'm looking for something in the $10 or $20 range if that's possible. I'm sort of unsure and reticent about trying it out in the first place, so I wanted something cheap that I could use for a short time.
I have never met a cheap protein supp. The $10 range will get you a 4 pack of protein shakes about 20g each... but that's Mucsle Milk, which most people don't like. What about straight up GNC whey?

Struct09

lil smoke said:
Yeah, I probably said too much in this thread, perhaps too opinionated, and not my place... but hey we all have our philosophies. I think motivation comes from something deeper than any video game though. (oops I'm doing it again :lol )

Yeah, not going to disagree with that. If someone doesn't have a deeper drive to get their ass in shape, Wii Fit isn't likely to be their wake up call.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Struct09 said:

There's a trend in the fitness community, not just here, where everyone pretends that they're Ronnie Fuckin' Coleman. Like all workouts must be accompanied by clouds of chalk, ultra tight hernia belts, and tendon shattering screams in order to meet the well established HARDCORE requirements.

It's not uncommon to read about some roid raging meathead's disgust at his local gym's request for him to tone it down because he's scaring the rest of the clientèle when he ejects 500lbs of barbell from the rack position to the floor while shouting at the top of his lungs. Such requests are deemed to be made from a position of weaksaucery and define said gym as an establishment purveyed by men in drag and people who are "skinny fat."

It's safe to ignore such eXtreme positions and you're fine to continue discussing whatever workout you choose to employ to reach whatever goals you've set for yourself.

Mgoblue201 said:

http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/f...CA43F1A129D049CB2C02F6&PID=348&CID=5&CPID=919

There is some cheap stuff. I use it currently, it tastes fine with milk or in my smoothie or oatmeal (vanilla flavor is what I use), but I'm not sure if it's great quality or not. Going to buy a more expensive brand once I use this up and compare them a bit. Anyone else ever use this brand that I linked? I have been meaning to get some opinions on it for a while now. The label can be found here: http://www.vitaminworld.com/vf/labels/002692VW.pdf

JCX9 said:
Would swimming regularly be better cardio than running regularly?

Swimming is easier on your joints and bones, which is a nice benefit. As far as purely conditioning and calorie burning are concerned, an equal time spent swimming vs an equal time spent running will generally cause more calorie loss from running, I think, but it's not a huge difference. Swimming is definitely more of a full body workout, in my opinion, than running is, but running seems to use more calories by a slight margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom