• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
question: my neck is skinnier than I'd like and I've noticed that when I put my arms behind me it sort of flexes my traps and makes my neck look a lot thicker. no other kind of movement or exercise has that effect. is there some sort of exercise that makes use of that? Like holding a barbell behind you with your arms extended and pushing it out (kinda like a front dumbbell raise, but behind you)?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
demon said:
question: my neck is skinnier than I'd like and I've noticed that when I put my arms behind me it sort of flexes my traps and makes my neck look a lot thicker. no other kind of movement or exercise has that effect. is there some sort of exercise that makes use of that? Like holding a barbell behind you with your arms extended and pushing it out (kinda like a front dumbbell raise, but behind you)?

Working the neck can be tricky, of course their are shrugs which help develop your traps which overtime can add size, but in order to get a thick neck, you need to do, well, neck exercises. There's a harness you can get for your cranium that is attached to a chain where you put weight on it and you bend over, hands on knees and bob your head up and down. Another one is lying down on a bench with your head overhanging the edge, hold weight on forehead and nod your head up and down but again, be very very careful.

demon said:

Best route I know of to a thick neck: join the wrestling team.

Dice Man said:
Hope you took into account your increased stopping time.

*Captain Glanton running through fence*
That would be "pine tree." I'm just proud I didn't throw up.

Ace 8095 said:
Captain, what kind of Sennheiser earbuds do you have and how do you like them?
The 50 dollar level; CX300 iirc. I like them a lot. I've had zero problems with interference or slippage.

RSTEIN said:
Do you think it would work for a 30 minute jog/run?
I think that at 40 lbs, your calves and your traps would be killing you after 30 minutes. It would be so much weight to be bouncing up and down on your traps and your feet. You might buy the 40 and start off with much lighter weight, see how you feel the next day.

Soka said:
Does anyone know of a way to add more difficulty to a bike ride? I have the gears on my bike on the "hardest" difficulty (which means less total turns of the peddles to propel me the same distance as a lower gear), but out here in the farmland of Illinois, it's all flat and lame.

Go faster, it's as simple as that. You gotta go fast! Get your cadence up in the 90-100 region, and switch to the biggest gear you can comfortably push. You'll feel it.

demon said:

You just need to work on your traps and neck development. HEAVY power shrugs will make ANYONE'S traps grow.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
You just need to work on your traps and neck development. HEAVY power shrugs will make ANYONE'S traps grow.
yep... 3 summers ago I added an inch to my neck in traps in about 1 and half months doing shrugs.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Soka said:
I'm wondering if biking with them wouldn't be as bad. The motion is mostly up and down, rather than side to side, so it's not causing the weights to really put pressure on the sides of my ankles, more so just on the top of my feet. But, yeah, I'm going to have to look into it more since I've seen enough warnings to know something isn't quite right about them.

If you feel you've already progressed far on the bike (as far as endurance) try doing HIIT on it. Basically, pedal at your max 30 seconds, then pedal at a normal pace for 30 seconds. Do this for 10 minutes (if you can). Adjust that ratio to what feels best (makes you want to throw up but not to the point where you going to faint).

esbern

so I've been looking into vertical jump training, as I'm 6'4, 200 pounds but have no leg muscles to speak of.

I just read through the entire Vertical Jump Bible (well..the 50 or so pages before all the workouts) and have also looked into Air Alert 3.

It seems the consensus is that the VJB is the best workout on the market. Anybody tried/have an opinion on the matter?

lil smoke

Banned
lethial said:
Working the neck can be tricky, of course their are shrugs which help develop your traps which overtime can add size, but in order to get a thick neck, you need to do, well, neck exercises. There's a harness you can get for your cranium that is attached to a chain where you put weight on it and you bend over, hands on knees and bob your head up and down. Another one is lying down on a bench with your head overhanging the edge, hold weight on forehead and nod your head up and down but again, be very very careful.
Damn. This shit is gangsta.

esbern

oh, and on another note, what is the consensus on hard cardio before lifting?

three years ago i would run a mile and then lift, and I got pretty big doing it. unrelated to that, i tore my tricep and had to stop for awhile.

since then I've run about 3-4 miles every day or so, and have just started getting back into lifting.

so here is the question:

Knowing that lactic acid inhibits the CNS and causes a decrease in the amount of muscle cells that can be recruited, therefore lowering the efficiency of your workout, is it a bad idea to do heavy cardio beforehand? my boys and I like to play 3-4 games of full court basketball (so 1 1/2 of ball i guess) before I work out with one of them, and I'm beginning to think that is a bad idea.

lil smoke said:
Damn. This shit is gangsta.

Yeah. I don't think most people need to worry about isolation neck exercises. How many big deadlifters do you know who don't have big, thick necks? Isolation neck exercises are useful for wrestlers/martial arts (neck flexibility, strength, bridging, etc.), high level athletes and bodybuilders.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Hi all,

What is the correct way to do stomach vacuums? On bodybuilding.com the one article I found said that you completely exhale all the air from your lungs and suck your abdomen in like you are trying to touch your belly button to your spine and then expand your chest and hold. Then it says to hold for 20 seconds for the first week, 40 for the second, and 60 for the third. I just can't hold my breath that long after exhaling and in the midst of contracting a muscle. Is this really the correct way to do it or can you breathe a bit in between as long as you keep the stomach as tight as possible?

Found a good arm exercise today. Use the same weight for all work of the same exercise, i.e., no changing weight mid-set.

One set:
Barbell curls X 6
Dips X 15
Dumbbell hammer curls X 6
BB curls X 3
Dips X 8
DB hammer curls X 3
BB curls X 2
Dips X 4
DB hammer curls X 2
BB curls X 1
Dips X 2
DB hammer curls X 1

I did two sets.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So just started doing some light Kalestenics last week and do not what it is having trouble today. While doing pushups my lower back hurts. any idea of whats causing it? something with my form or posistion?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Struct09 said:
Speaking of, anyone else been using Wii Fit? It's been great for weight tracking and doing stretches that I otherwise wouldn't.

My coworker bought Wii Fit to "get back into shape." Basically I just make fun of him all day.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Found a good arm exercise today. Use the same weight for all work of the same exercise, i.e., no changing weight mid-set.

One set:
Barbell curls X 6
Dips X 15
Dumbbell hammer curls X 6
BB curls X 3
Dips X 8
DB hammer curls X 3
BB curls X 2
Dips X 4
DB hammer curls X 2
BB curls X 1
Dips X 2
DB hammer curls X 1

I did two sets.
Cool. I'm all over this. I actually already do similar circuits, since in the AM I have the gym to myself.

*copy paste*

Not a Jellyfish said:
So just started doing some light Kalestenics last week and do not what it is having trouble today. While doing pushups my lower back hurts. any idea of whats causing it? something with my form or posistion?

Probably a mix of lack of strength in the area and form.

Keep your abs braced TIGHT when you do the pushups. Your abs help form the brace of your back. This is what lifting belts are for--they help with intrabdominal pressure, not as a back brace. You can do the same thing by keeping your core super tight.

BlueTsunami

Brendonia said:
Hi all,

What is the correct way to do stomach vacuums? On bodybuilding.com the one article I found said that you completely exhale all the air from your lungs and suck your abdomen in like you are trying to touch your belly button to your spine and then expand your chest and hold. Then it says to hold for 20 seconds for the first week, 40 for the second, and 60 for the third. I just can't hold my breath that long after exhaling and in the midst of contracting a muscle. Is this really the correct way to do it or can you breathe a bit in between as long as you keep the stomach as tight as possible?

Its really awkward and the article doesn't really explain correctly how your supposed to do it

Basically you want to let all the oxygen out of your lungs and suck in your stomach and tighten. You CAN breath in and out but its going to be extremely shallow (do NOT hold your breath). Hold it like that for 20 Seconds (remembering to keep your abdominals flexed and keeping your stomach sucked in as much as possible). Thats a stomach vacuum!

I do 8 Reps for 2 Sets. They take so long, which is why I don't do 3 full sets.

BlueTsunami

Mr. Snrub said:
Well. It's better than nothing.

:lol thats such a backhanded compliment, I love it

Tanned Greyface said:
I don't get it. Jogging, push ups, etc won't help him get back in shape?

Joggin in place (which is what your doing with the Wiifit), you may as well be doing Jumping Jacks or something or just find some stairs you can climb. WiiFit is quite literally an activity Simulator for bored moms.

I give up on leg workouts. Squatting and leg presses are just too fucking awkward for me. I can't get the form right, even with help from the pros, and lunges are just bad for your knees.

So anyway, starting Monday, I'm going to start flipping over a tractor tire (even though it'd be more of a total body workout). Maybe start out at 25 yards and build my way up. At my apartment, I've been skipping every 2 steps, lifting off one leg at a time. I do it 20 times and it tightens my quads up after doing them. I don't expect to get my legs huge from just doing them, but keeping them shape is good enough for me. Maybe with me eating more, I can get some of that fat to my legs. =\

lil smoke

Banned
Yeah, squats are not an enjoyable movement. I do it every now and then, but with little enthuse and probably the amount I put on isn't really what it should be.

I know that I'm an upper body kinda person. Chest stuff has been easy since I was in the 9th grade, but even back then I could not squat for shit. What is it about squats? I don't mind leg press, curl, extensions... they all hurt and burn like hell, but at least I don't feel like my legs are going to give out. My shits feel like wet noodles when I start decending :lol

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I give up on leg workouts. Squatting and leg presses are just too fucking awkward for me. I can't get the form right, even with help from the pros, and lunges are just bad for your knees.

So anyway, starting Monday, I'm going to start flipping over a tractor tire (even though it'd be more of a total body workout). Maybe start out at 25 yards and build my way up. At my apartment, I've been skipping every 2 steps, lifting off one leg at a time. I do it 20 times and it tightens my quads up after doing them. I don't expect to get my legs huge from just doing them, but keeping them shape is good enough for me. Maybe with me eating more, I can get some of that fat to my legs. =\

Lunges aren't bad for your knees it's the opposite...there's no stress put on your knees. Quads, hams, glutes and adductors are taking the brunt of the weight during the motion while your hips and midsection balance the weight the entire time.

some tips

-never bring your knee past your toes
-Don't rest your knee on the ground
-Stop your knee 1-2 inches from the ground
-If you do touch your knee do it gently and quickly, you will have to touch on very heavy sets
-keep your midsection flexed at all times, your back straight and head up

MrToughPants said:
Lunges aren't bad for your knees it's the opposite...there's no stress put on your knees. Quads, hams, glutes and adductors are taking the brunt of the weight during the motion while your hips and midsection balance the weight the entire time.

some tips

-never bring your knee past your toes
-Don't rest your knee on the ground
-Stop your knee 1-2 inches from the ground
-If you do touch your knee do it gently and quickly, you will have to touch on very heavy sets
-keep your midsection flexed at all times, your back straight and head up

Yeah. I've kept the form perfect for years.

I have been working my calves like a bitch. I do them twice a week and they're always sore the next day. This never happened to me in the past. :lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Mr. Snrub said:
Well. It's better than nothing.
:lol

Ok, I've searched through the thread and all I see are snide asides regarding WiiFit. Can I get some definitive statements from the regulars in this thread (if you're not already tired of giving your advice to family and friends who jumped on the Wii bandwagon)?

Is WiiFit good for cardio at the least or is it essentially a chimera?

Chichikov

Tanned Greyface said:

Ok, I've searched through the thread and all I see are snide asides regarding WiiFit. Can I get some definitive statements from the regulars in this thread (if you're not already tired of giving your advice to family and friends who jumped on the Wii bandwagon)?

I don’t own WiiFit, if you can link to a comprehensive activity list I would be happy to give you my opinion on them.

Struct09

Tanned Greyface said:

It can get your heart rate up slightly (thus, better than nothing), but it's obviously no substitute to full blown weight lifting and cardio. I love WiiFit, but it's a supplement to my already dialed-in routine.

As a weight loss tool (which Nintendo isn't even really marketing it as), it's pretty useless. Your diet will be the biggest factor when it comes to losing weight.

Tanned Greyface said:

Huh. I didn't realize it, but I don't have any friends or family who did this.

I think Ryan O'Donnell's [aka Binary Burito] EGM review said Wii Fit was a good fitness program for people who know nothing about fitness. I hope that just perusing this thread will make you at least somewhat knowledgeable about fitness, which would make you too advanced for Wii Fit. If you've read the OP and the last X number of pages, you know enough to design your own workout routine that will do more for you than a balance board and avatar on your tv.

Onemic

Okay guys I have a really big problem, it's being able to keep myself on my diet without cheating. I'm on the atkins diet and ever since I decided to go on a little break from the diet the last week of February after losing about 30 pounds, I've never been able to dedicate myself to it since. I mean back in January when I started dieting I cheated from time to time, but I would always try to stay in line with my diet and would never cheat more than once a day.

Now I'm cheating a lot(basically meaning everyday) and I really need a good slap in the face so that I can actually go restart my diet. If anyone here that's on a diet can tell me exactly how they're able to stay dedicated to it, can you please give me a few pointers? I really want to lose an extra 30 - 40 pounds by September before my first year of university, not only that, but I'm tired of being a fatass. It's honestly getting to me and I can't stand it.

I find that whenever I say I'm going to stay dedicated to my diet, that same day I'm either invited out to McDonalds or another fast-food place, offered cake, candy, etc.(In which, I clearly give in) Or I just flat out crave some carbs and I go buy myself those stupid fucking Oatmeal creme pies by Little Debbie. It's getting ridiculous!

jacf29

Banned
My friend claims that doing push-ups with your feet on a chair slanting downwards is better for your abs than sit-ups. He also says that sit-ups hurt your back long term. Is this true?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
jacf29 said:
My friend claims that doing push-ups with your feet on a chair slanting downwards is better for your abs than sit-ups. He also says that sit-ups hurt your back long term. Is this true?
just tried it. I do not believe this news.

Chichikov

onemic said:
Okay guys I have a really big problem, it's being able to keep myself on my diet without cheating. I'm on the atkins diet and ever since I decided to go on a little break from the diet the last week of February after losing about 30 pounds, I've never been able to dedicate myself to it since. I mean back in January when I started dieting I cheated from time to time, but I would always try to stay in line with my diet and would never cheat more than once a day.

Now I'm cheating a lot(basically meaning everyday) and I really need a good slap in the face so that I can actually go restart my diet. If anyone here that's on a diet can tell me exactly how they're able to stay dedicated to it, can you please give me a few pointers? I really want to lose an extra 30 - 40 pounds by September before my first year of university, not only that, but I'm tired of being a fatass. It's honestly getting to me and I can't stand it.

I find that whenever I say I'm going to stay dedicated to my diet, that same day I'm either invited out to McDonalds or another fast-food place, offered cake, candy, etc.(In which, I clearly give in) Or I just flat out crave some carbs and I go buy myself those stupid fucking Oatmeal creme pies by Little Debbie. It's getting ridiculous!
There are no magic tricks, if you lack the discipline to stick to your diet, nothing anyone will write here is going to help you.
That being said, I personally think that the best way to lose weight is a combination of a reasonable diet (I don’t consider Atkins to be one, but I am aware some people are getting great results with it) and working out.

jacf29 said:
"better for your abs" is a pretty vague term.
Pushups work your abs in a different way than sit-ups, and generally the abs role in it, unlike sit-ups, is secondary.
As for hurting your back, done wrong they can, but even though I’m not a huge fan of sit-ups there’s nothing inherently wrong with them.

Onemic

Chichikov said:
There are no magic tricks, if you lack the discipline to stick to your diet, nothing anyone will write here is going to help you.
That being said, I personally think that the best way to lose weight is a combination of a reasonable diet (I don’t consider Atkins to be one, but I am aware some people are getting great results with it) and working out.

The thing is, I was able to maintain the discipline when I firs started back in late January, I guess it's because I didn't go out that much back then as I do now, so I wasn't always faced with temptation every single day as I am now.

Struct09

onemic said:

If you can't stick to an Atkins or low-carb diet, how about finding a sensible diet plan that you will like and can stick to? Your diet isn't something you should look at as a short term solution, it's important to make the necessary changes and stick with them.

Chichikov

onemic said:
The thing is, I was able to maintain the discipline when I firs started back in late January, I guess it's because I didn't go out that much back then as I do now, so I wasn't always faced with temptation every single day as I am now.
I don’t want to sound too harsh, but no, you weren’t.
A diet is not a project; you don’t do a diet, you change your diet.
Never start a diet you are unable to sustain for the long run.

Hey guys , Ive been taking supplements for about 4months now , cycling off creatine in this month and Ive been taking 4 months of protein shakes on and off. I was thinking of stopping and going the natural protein food area since my budget wont allow me to buy alot of supplements anymore. I will continue to work out every day and week... but since I wont be taking these things anymore.. .what will change? size ? strength?

thanks

anyone? :(

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
jacf29 said:

I don't know about those push-ups but I've done a lot of research on ab exercises. General conclusions:

- Most back injuries arise because because lift with their back instead of PULL with their abs.
- The standard sit-up/crunch is scientifically proven to be the least effective ab exercise.
- You should focus on: reverse crunches, bicycle crunches, & vertical crunches.
- If you're going to do a sit-up (i.e. lifting your entire torso off the ground perpindicular to the floor) do not bend your knees. Spread your legs and flatten them. Again, pull with the abs, do not lift with the shoulders/back.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
SuperAndroid17 said:
Hey guys , Ive been taking supplements for about 4months now , cycling off creatine in this month and Ive been taking 4 months of protein shakes on and off. I was thinking of stopping and going the natural protein food area since my budget wont allow me to buy alot of supplements anymore. I will continue to work out every day and week... but since I wont be taking these things anymore.. .what will change? size ? strength?

thanks

I've never taken a supplement besides Whey a while back. All you need is clean food.

Chrono

Banned
OK, uh, I'm not going to read the entire thread here. Or the other threads. Or spend hours reading more web pages or books on this subject. Seriously it can't be this complicated.

As far as food is concerned, I'll be reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/basics_index.shtml

And for more details, I've go this book for later:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0743266420/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'll read that book when I'll start cooking... sometime in the future.

For exercise, the plan is:

- HIIT... run like hell on a treadmill for short intervals... >_>;
- Push ups? Sit ups? Crunches? There seem to be half a dozen types just for crunches...

I just want something I can do now, without any instruments, and will actually help.

Lastly, how much exercise should I do? As much as I can? For example, how long could a HIIT interval be and how many times can/should I do it a day?

Thanks for any help... I really need it. :p

Chrono said:
OK, uh, I'm not going to read the entire thread here. Or the other threads. Or spend hours reading more web pages or books on this subject. Seriously it can't be this complicated.

As far as food is concerned, I'll be reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/nutrition/basics_index.shtml

And for more details, I've go this book for later:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0743266420/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'll read that book when I'll start cooking... sometime in the future.

For exercise, the plan is:

- HIIT... run like hell on a treadmill for short intervals... >_>;
- Push ups? Sit ups? Crunches? There seem to be half a dozen types just for crunches...

I just want something I can do now, without any instruments, and will actually help.

Lastly, how much exercise should I do? As much as I can? For example, how long could a HIIT interval be and how many times can/should I do it a day?

Thanks for any help... I really need it. :p
But you read the OP, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom