• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Finals week is kicking my ass. I've only had time to work out twice since the 26th.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
Ice.

What's it feel like?
Hard to explain... i made a bad swing today with my racket, first i messed up my wrist then i assume i started over compensating with my shoulder instead of using my body to swing:(

i shouldnt say pulled, more like threw out my shoulder, Its not a muscle, actually im pretty sure its my socket area.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Does it feel like a range specific strain?

Kind of like a tweak of pain?

I like to throw 50 pitches a day for a little experiment i'm doing (don't ask). I get it all the time.

Stretch it out.

I'd still really recommend the ice. Ice works wonders.

Still sounds like it could be some strained muscle, if you were overcompensating and swinging unnaturally. Unless it's making noises when you move it.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
I'd still really recommend the ice. Ice works wonders.

Still sounds like it could be some strained muscle, if you were overcompensating and swinging unnaturally. Unless it's making noises when you move it.
actually its feeling alot better now, no pain actually... earlier I could feel it through my entire arm... shit really sucked.

lil smoke

Banned
Ginko said:
I just ate a couple more pizza slices than I should've. The last time I ate pizza was 2 months ago. I feel so bad.
:lol I was going to treat myself to pizza today, but after this... I might get a plain thickburger with no cheese.

Have you guys discussed cheat foods here yet?

I go crazy eating tuna and chicken tits everyday!

yacobod

Banned
i don't follow a strict diet, i eat what i want basically

today i had a taste for greasy fast food, so i had some for lunch, but usually i eat pretty clean

Jirotrom

yacobod said:

today i had a taste for greasy fast food, so i had some for lunch, but usually i eat pretty clean
im pretty much the same, thing is its easier for me to cook and prep things in advance, also i save a lot cash by not eating out, especially considering the gas prices right now.

deadbeef

yacobod said:

I'm the same way. I find that being super strict on a diet doesn't provide an equivalent benefit for the effort I put into it. So, I typically go on a very strict diet maybe once every 6 months or so for about 4 to 6 weeks. This lets me stay in the 12ish to 18ish percent bodyfat (by my inaccurate Tanita scale) pretty much year round. I try to diet in the early spring and mid-autumn.

All the other times, I just try to get sufficient proteins, and not go crazy on eating too much.

This is a habit I've picked up as I have gotten older. I lift weights because I enjoy it, and it's a great stress reliever, and it's fun being strong. I don't enjoy it when I'm weighing chicken breasts and measuring servings of almonds and shit like that, so I don't do that anymore. Like I said, the extra effort doesn't provide an equivalent benefit, for me.

Jirotrom

Going hiking today... any one here from Dallas Texas know some good Hiking trails, Im planning on going to Oak Cliff Nature Preserve.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
i just wanted to report i'm having graet weight loss success by throwing in a couple of cheat days at the end of every month.

not really interested in internets advice telling me it's right/wrong, but i thought i might share it here just in case anyone wants to give it a shot.

Jirotrom

valparaiso said:
i just wanted to report i'm having graet weight loss success by throwing in a couple of cheat days at the end of every month.

not really interested in internets advice telling me it's right/wrong, but i thought i might share it here just in case anyone wants to give it a shot.
YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG!?:D

I just got home from the gym. My Gold's Gym. While I was there, I heard both the theme song from Friends and New Kids on the Block over their music system.

I swear to fucking Christ ...

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yacobod said:

last wednesday myself and two friends went to a local italian place and polished off an 18" pepperoni and a 14" white pie. then i came home and died of sheer food pleasure

Captain Glanton said:
I just got home from the gym. My Gold's Gym. While I was there, I heard both the theme song from Friends and New Kids on the Block over their music system.

I swear to fucking Christ ...

This is why I use an MP3 player at all times when lifting. The music at Cardinal Fitness (my local/nearest gym) is fucking atrocious. That, and they constantly have 10 TVs on all sorts of different stations and I find it distracting if I don't have music playing.

Soka said:
This is why I use an MP3 player at all times when lifting. The music at Cardinal Fitness (my local/nearest gym) is fucking atrocious. That, and they constantly have 10 TVs on all sorts of different stations and I find it distracting if I don't have music playing.
I heard the NKOTB over my iPod and my Seinhauser [or whatever] earbuds. The Friends song was on when I walked in.

Dice Man said:
Well, I ordered an 84 lb X-Vest. I'll give impressions after it comes in on Wednesday/Thursday.
I bought a 40 lb one this week. I did a 50 minute walk in the heat with it, which wasn't too bad once I got into it. But I've also done my shadow boxing, etc in it [and I'm about to do it now], and that is a much rougher workout. I had to buy a Go Fit one, too, and not X-Vest, because it was in town; so far the quality is just fine.

Edit: Now I'm very tired.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mr.City said:
Damn, I hate missing gym sessions due to being sick.

What's worse is the week after being sick. Your body feels completely and utterly exhausted.

deadbeef

Captain Glanton said:
I bought a 40 lb one this week. I did a 50 minute walk in the heat with it, which wasn't too bad once I got into it. But I've also done my shadow boxing, etc in it [and I'm about to do it now], and that is a much rougher workout. I had to buy a Go Fit one, too, and not X-Vest, because it was in town; so far the quality is just fine.

I can't wait!

I also did my usual upper body workout today: barbell rows 5X5, overhead presses 5X5, superset curls and dips. Man, I'm whipped.

Foods I'm thinking about:
Hot dogs [a plate full should be good] and Doritos
A box of long john donuts
A large pizza stacked with pepperoni and sausage
Bowls of chili while watching football on a cool fall day
A huge stack of garlic bread
Steak, rare
BBQ ribs
A huge fucking cheeseburger and fries
Root beer float
Cherry pie

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Captain Glanton said:
I also did my usual upper body workout today: barbell rows 5X5, overhead presses 5X5, superset curls and dips. Man, I'm whipped.

Foods I'm thinking about:
Hot dogs [a plate full should be good] and Doritos
A box of long john donuts
A large pizza stacked with pepperoni and sausage
Bowls of chili while watching football on a cool fall day
A huge stack of garlic bread
Steak, rare
BBQ ribs
A huge fucking cheeseburger and fries
Root beer float
Cherry pie

Throw some cheese, mayonnaise, and bacon on all that and you got a deal.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Did walking lunges (100-150-185-200lbs) followed immediately by full squats, with the same weight after each set, outside in the backyard with 38 degree humidex, I felt dead after. I had a pair of nylon sweatpants on too so I was sweating like crazy. I think im gonna do this next week again if it's nice out it's such a great feeling.

MrToughPants said:
Did walking lunges (100-150-185-200lbs) followed immediately by full squats, with the same weight after each set, outside in the backyard with 38 degree humidex, I felt dead after. I had a pair of nylon sweatpants on too so I was sweating like crazy. I think im gonna do this next week again if it's nice out it's such a great feeling.
That's my kind of post.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Captain Glanton said:
That's my kind of post.

Man after each of the last two sets I had to hold myself up on the deck. My legs are getting blasted lately. I'm not squatting as heavy as I can since my ankles are not 100% but lunges are doing amazing work for me and throwing some full rom squats in the mix is just icing on the cake. I also had a few hotdogs with poutine and some cottage cheese for post workout, did shoulders later in the day.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:

I was wondering about the go fitness ones, so they are good? They are much cheaper and Im pretty against buying over priced products.

Jirotrom said:
I was wondering about the go fitness ones, so they are good? They are much cheaper and Im pretty against buying over priced products.
I've only had it a few days. But it fits snugly on me and it stays tight. The stitching and workmanship seem good, but again, that's something you can't determine until it's seen some abuse.

jacf29

Banned
Just posting an update on week 4:

Start: 203 pounds

End of week 1: 201 pounds

End of week 2: 199 pounds

End of week 3: 196.5 pounds

End of week 4: 194 pounds

I feel absolutely incredible. I didn't do as much cardio this week (only ran 3 miles for 2 days), but I ran on a calorie deficit. About 4 days of the week I had 3 meals each day totaling about 1400 calories.

My standard meal on those 4 days was cereal, toast with peanut putter, and banana for breakfast, tuna sashimi for lunch, and a power bar for dinner. As usual I am continuing to have green tea twice a day and oolong tea once a day.

Dang GAF it feels so good to finally not look fat. Of course I'm still a ways off from my goal, but I defiantly feel and see an improvement.

jacf29 said:
Just posting an update on week 4:

Start: 203 pounds

End of week 1: 201 pounds

End of week 2: 199 pounds

End of week 3: 196.5 pounds

End of week 4: 194 pounds

I feel absolutely incredible. I didn't do as much cardio this week (only ran 3 miles for 2 days), but I ran on a calorie deficit. About 4 days of the week I had 3 meals each day totaling about 1400 calories.

My standard meal on those 4 days was cereal, toast with peanut putter, and banana for breakfast, tuna sashimi for lunch, and a power bar for dinner. As usual I am continuing to have green tea twice a day and oolong tea once a day.

Dang GAF it feels so good to finally not look fat. Of course I'm still a ways off from my goal, but I defiantly feel and see an improvement.

Good stuff. Looks like you're doing it the right way--a few pounds a week, every week.

I just got back from a 1.5 hour walk with my 40lb-er. Wow. I didn't know your traps could feel like this.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
Good stuff. Looks like you're doing it the right way--a few pounds a week, every week.

I just got back from a 1.5 hour walk with my 40lb-er. Wow. I didn't know your traps could feel like this.
damnit... dont tempt me...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Hey guys not doing any weight training yet will start next week but for now I was wondering if you guys recomend anything to loose inches off of your thighs? I have been doing standing squats. jumping squats and thrown in some leg lifts now. thanx.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, I weighed myself yesterday. 166.5 pounds. At my peak I was 190 and at the bottom I was 160. I'm glad to see my weight now starting to rebound upwards. I'm happy with everything but my FUCKING MUFFIN TOPS. GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
You can't spot reduce. You need to lose fat in general through strength training, cardiovascular work, and diet.

so you're telling me doing 600+ situps/day won't get me that sweet 6 pack?

yacobod said:

Technically, if the effort you put into that is causing you to burn more calories than you take in on a day-to-day basis, and you some how already had a muscular midsection, you could get a reasonably toned 6-pack doing 600+ situps/day. I see your sarcasm and raise you a moderate but silly truth.

I finally added deadlifting into my routine. I've been starting light, doing a 3x5 of 125lbs (that's including the bar). I feel like I can push myself a lot further than that, but I'm right now making sure I don't botch the lift, hurting my back or tearing anything in my arms. Feels good so far, going to toss on another ~10lbs on Wednesday and see how it feels.

Just finished a near 90 minute lifting session, got in every major and minor lift and hydrated a ton and man it feels great. Came back home and fixed up a massive shake and I'm pretty damn happy. Giving it 30 minutes for the shake to settle a bit, then going for a calm 30-45 minute bike ride to get some fresh air and a bit of sun; which reminds me, does anyone know of a way to add more difficulty to a bike ride? I have the gears on my bike on the "hardest" difficulty (which means less total turns of the peddles to propel me the same distance as a lower gear), but out here in the farmland of Illinois, it's all flat and lame.

Wondering about the idea of ankle weights, but I've heard they can be bad for your body or something.

I remember doing 500 sits up non stop and that would be my ab workout for the week. :lol

Soka-I'd stay away from ankle weights. They messed me up when I wore them in high school during basketball practice.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Soka-I'd stay away from ankle weights. They messed me up when I wore them in high school during basketball practice.

I'm wondering if biking with them wouldn't be as bad. The motion is mostly up and down, rather than side to side, so it's not causing the weights to really put pressure on the sides of my ankles, more so just on the top of my feet. But, yeah, I'm going to have to look into it more since I've seen enough warnings to know something isn't quite right about them.

Jirotrom

Soka said:
I'm wondering if biking with them wouldn't be as bad. The motion is mostly up and down, rather than side to side, so it's not causing the weights to really put pressure on the sides of my ankles, more so just on the top of my feet. But, yeah, I'm going to have to look into it more since I've seen enough warnings to know something isn't quite right about them.
I used to use them all the time with no problems, though I didn't use them for things like basketball, to much pivoting going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom