• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
urk said:
It's safe to ignore such eXtreme positions and you're fine to continue discussing whatever workout you choose to employ to reach whatever goals you've set for yourself.
Well, my rant is more about mental discipline and real willpower. Whatever method of bettering yourself (not all about fitness) you choose, it starts in your heart and head.

You can take WiiFit out of the conversation, and my point will remain.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
lil smoke said:
Well, my rant is more about mental discipline and real willpower. Whatever method of bettering yourself (not all about fitness) you choose, it starts in your heart and head.

You can take WiiFit out of the conversation, and my point will remain.

Well said. I don't disagree with much of what you say. But I think it's sad to see so many trainers take a motivated client and "teach" them what "real" fitness is all about by running them so far into the ground that they never want to hit a gym ever again. That kind of training regiment makes it really easy for someone who isn't used to muscle fatigue to wake up the next morning feeling wrecked to say to themselves, "Well that was way worse then I thought it would be."

The Wii is clearly not the path to elite fitness, or maybe even to the higher echelons of office fitness, but for many it's something. And something is almost always better than nothing.

On the one hand, Go Fitness products suck [GO FITNESS SUCKS!]. But the people at MC Sports were awesome and gave me a cash refund.

I will say this about Wii Fit: I'm in favor of whatever gets people off the couch. But personally, I find it disquieting that people seem to need for their fitness programs to be so regimented, or controlled. I have the same problem with spinning classes and the like [and with early grade school kids who play in sports leagues instead of just playing sports]. You don't need the computer telling you when to change exercises or what pace you should have. Read up on the exercises and whatnot, for sure, but then when you actually do them, follow your own lead.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
On the one hand, Go Fitness products suck [GO FITNESS SUCKS!]. But the people at MC Sports were awesome and gave me a cash refund..
LOL @ your vest, because you were so excited at 1st!

Captain Glanton said:
[and with early grade school kids who play in sports leagues instead of just playing sports]. .
I'm a huge proponent of organized sports for grade school, but NOT too early. I played organized football since the 85lb team and most of the kids didn't want to be out there, but their parents forced them. I think the 115-125lb. teams are a good place to get you kids started in sports IF they have the desire to.

I can't speak enough about what I learned from playing organized football with a coach that cares and really gets into your ass when you fuck up. Winning and losing takes on a different form when on a team with camaraderie, rather than when playing in the streets with the usual buddies (which we also did lots of back then!)

lil smoke said:
LOL @ your vest, because you were so excited at 1st!
Although my particular vest sucked ass, and Go Fitness can rot and die, I firmly stand behind the idea of training in a vest. When mine broke and I had to finish my workout without it, I immediately noticed how much my conditioning had improved in that one week. I will definitely look into ordering a top-notch one online after I move.

I'm a huge proponent of organized sports for grade school, but NOT too early. I played organized football since the 85lb team and most of the kids didn't want to be out there, but their parents forced them. I think the 115-125lb. teams are a good place to get you kids started in sports IF they have the desire to.

I can't speak enough about what I learned from playing organized football with a coach that cares and really gets into your ass when you fuck up. Winning and losing takes on a different form when on a team with camaraderie, rather than when playing in the streets with the usual buddies (which we also did lots of back then!)
I had a cousin who was on the all-city all star team in Indianapolis for tee ball. Tee ball. That's the kind of nonsense I'm talking about. That, and parents who feel like every moment of play has to be organized and planned down to every detail. Just let the kids run around for a few hours--it'll do 'em good.

Ristamar

Christopher said:
Anyway - What are you guys drinking as your protien?

I'm a vanilla guy when it comes to protein, usually straight (water only), sometimes 1% milk if I want a thicker concoction.

I've always been a fan of EAS' stuff (MyoPro, Myoplex). I started using American Whey from American Sports Nutrition after tasting it in a few shakes from my local gym. It's the best stuff I've tried in terms of taste, even with just water, and has less fat and sugar than EAS' whey. Throw in a banana, skim milk, some ice and blend it, and it's comparable to a good milkshake.

For those that had brought up Designer Whey as being easy on the palate, I assume they never tried the French Vanilla. It's the worst tasting crap I've had the displeasure of drinking, even worse than GNC's garbage, which is pretty fucking awful. "Dirty Dishwater" would be a far more accurate description of the flavor.

Vanish

sorry if these regimen look terrible but which is the better one (all done in one day, 3 times a week) (i would include squats but lets just say i cant do it right now):

Military Press
Deadlifts
Shrugs
Seated Dumbbell Presses
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

i want to do this one since i want to work on my shoulders but i figure this one is better overall:

Military Press
Deadlifts
Alternating Hammer DB curls
Rows
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

if you have any other suggestions let me know. also, out of curiosity, whats the minimum weight needed for military press and bench press for it to be considered strong?

Vanish said:
sorry if these regimen look terrible but which is the better one (all done in one day, 3 times a week) (i would include squats but lets just say i cant do it right now):

Military Press
Deadlifts
Shrugs
Seated Dumbbell Presses
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

i want to do this one since i want to work on my shoulders but i figure this one is better overall:

Military Press
Deadlifts
Rows
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

if you have any other suggestions let me know. also, out of curiosity, whats the minimum weight needed for military press and bench press for it to be considered strong?

Wait, why can't you squat?

I'd do this, if you can't do squats:

Deadlifts
Lunges
Bench Press
Rows
Military Press
Barbell Curls
Skull Crushers/Triceps Extensions

Minimum for bench and military press to be considered strong? A good golden rule to even get a moderate amount of respect in powerlifting circles is usually the 300/400/500 rule: 300 lb. bench, 400 lb. squat, and 500 lb. deadlift. Military press? Probably somewhere in the 185-200 lb. range.

And remember, these are sort of beginning, "we will glance in your general direction" figures in the powerlifting community.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Don't do pullovers when you've got gas, holy shit. It seems like Red Delicious apples make me burp and generally gassy wtf

Vanish

thanks for the info.
i prefer not to do squats b/c i do this stuff at home, i dont have a rack, and have no one to help me so i guess im just afraid i might hurt/kill myself trying to lift the heavy barbell from the ground to behind my head. yeah i know about that rippetoe quote but i hope this is a legitimate excuse...

Mr.City

Vanish said:
thanks for the info.
i prefer not to do squats b/c i do this stuff at home, i dont have a rack, and have no one to help me so i guess im just afraid i might hurt/kill myself trying to lift the heavy barbell from the ground to behind my head. yeah i know about that rippetoe quote but i hope this is a legitimate excuse...
You have a barbell, but you don't have any type of rack to hold it at your house?

Zoe

I'm finally getting back into this fitness thing. Can anybody recommend any good, beginner abs/back exercises to do at the gym? Group classes take care of the other areas.

JCX9 said:
Would swimming regularly be better cardio than running regularly?

Hell yes. If you're doing it right, that is.

Just make sure you're not half-assing it and stopping in between each swim down the length of the pool. It's great for your lung capacity too--I used to be able to hold my breath for 2.5 minutes! I wish I had kept a log of my swim practices from high school. Those were the good years :(

Boogie

Mr. Snrub said:
Minimum for bench and military press to be considered strong? A good golden rule to even get a moderate amount of respect in powerlifting circles is usually the 300/400/500 rule: 300 lb. bench, 400 lb. squat, and 500 lb. deadlift. Military press? Probably somewhere in the 185-200 lb. range.

And remember, these are sort of beginning, "we will glance in your general direction" figures in the powerlifting community.

Yeah, well, the powerlifting community can kiss my ass then.

We had a guy in our troop who weighed 160lbs and could bench 275lbs. In my opinion, that is, as I say "fucking impressive", I don't care what the "powerlifting community" says. Dude could also run a sub-9 minute 1.5 mile.

Of course, I could still kick his ass. ;)

Boogie said:
Yeah, well, the powerlifting community can kiss my ass then.

We had a guy in our troop who weighed 160lbs and could bench 275lbs. In my opinion, that is, as I say "fucking impressive", I don't care what the "powerlifting community" says. Dude could also run a sub-9 minute 1.5 mile.

Of course, I could still kick his ass. ;)

Haha, well, if we go down this path...

There are divided opinions amongst powerlifters. There is absolute strength, and relative strength. Absolute is pretty much: who is the strongest fucking person. Relative is how much a person can lift relative to their bodyweight.

You have those who argue for either. Can't really say one is better than the other.

I completely botched my workout on Wednesday morning. I woke up late, so I rushed a breakfast. Didn't rehydrate more than just a glass of milk, and due to waking up late, had to start lifting 20 minutes after finishing breakfast. Left me with a stomach ache and lack of hydration and nutrition, and I felt it bad during my lifting.

Got the major lifts (deadlift, squat, bench) done some how, but they didn't feel as good as normal. Did leg lifts and dips and I had to call it quits. I wasn't sweating at all, my mouth was dry, and my stomach was cramping. I think I really, really let myself dehydrate too much by not drinking enough fluids before the work out (I drank tons of water while I was there, but by then, dehydration had set in and it was too late). Also, was a bit sunburnt which I think only worsened my dehydration.

Note to self: Don't sleep in and ruin a workout. Going to kick some major ass on my Friday morning workout to "make up" for it. First time I've ever totally botched a work out like that, and I'm still pissed about it.

Boogie

Mr. Snrub said:
Haha, well, if we go down this path...

There are divided opinions amongst powerlifters. There is absolute strength, and relative strength. Absolute is pretty much: who is the strongest fucking person. Relative is how much a person can lift relative to their bodyweight.

You have those who argue for either. Can't really say one is better than the other.

Disclaimer: Boogie has been drinking tonight. As such, anything he says may not make any gawdamned sense.

But all I mean is this: My strength is not going to be defined by the "powerlifting community". I consider myself strong. By which I mean, I can toss around most of the general populace at will.

And yet, to look at my stats, I am a "weakling." I am currently benching 155lbs for 5x5. Completely unremarkable. And yet, in clashes of human vs. human physical combat, I have my way with people who can boast strength stats which double mine.

As much as I don't want to be a jackass in this thread, I also find myself playing to my bias and saying that "strength" is a relative term. "Fitness" encompasses more than raw strength stats.

I've gained 10 pounds in the past 4 months thanks to this thread. Which is good, because my goal in those months has been to gain strength and mass. And yet, I have also regressed in certain areas. I ran a 3 mile today, and my time was 4 minutes slower than it was 5 months ago. And that saddens me.

I've long since lost my point, but it might have been something like this: "Fitness" means different things to different people, and don't let your ideas of "fit" or "strong" be defined by others who may not share your goals or philosophy.

Fuck, I shouldn't post when this drunk

Boogie said:
Disclaimer: Boogie has been drinking tonight. As such, anything he says may not make any gawdamned sense.

But all I mean is this: My strength is not going to be defined by the "powerlifting community". I consider myself strong. By which I mean, I can toss around most of the general populace at will.

And yet, to look at my stats, I am a "weakling." I am currently benching 155lbs for 5x5. Completely unremarkable. And yet, in clashes of human vs. human physical combat, I have my way with people who can boast strength stats which double mine.

As much as I don't want to be a jackass in this thread, I also find myself playing to my bias and saying that "strength" is a relative term. "Fitness" encompasses more than raw strength stats.

I've gained 10 pounds in the past 4 months thanks to this thread. Which is good, because my goal in those months has been to gain strength and mass. And yet, I have also regressed in certain areas. I ran a 3 mile today, and my time was 4 minutes slower than it was 5 months ago. And that saddens me.

I've long since lost my point, but it might have been something like this: "Fitness" means different things to different people, and don't let your ideas of "fit" or "strong" be defined by others who may not share your goals or philosophy.

I mean, I understand your point, in that overall fitness is different from strength. But what he was asking for was what is considered strong. 155x5 isn't strong; I don't consider myself to be particularly "strong" either, even if I could manhandle 90% of my friends.

It's great to finally hit 225 in the bench because you finally feel "strong". Don't let someone else's opinion of what's strong, get you down. But at the same time...don't kid yourself. Keep your eyes open and your mouth shut; be humble until you actually have something to brag about.

This actually sounds like a Crossfit argument...if anyone is unfamiliar with Crossfit (www.crossfit.com), they argue that Fitness itself is a sport, and "train" that. They have some quote similar to: "Your 700 lb. deadlift will go down to 500 lbs., but you'll have a faster 400m time. Your bench may go down from 400 to 300, but you'll be able to outpace others in a timed run." Blah blah blah.

I believe in getting a strong base of strength before going for "all around" fitness. There are high schoolers who can lift more than I can. Granted, they've been training longer and have great coaches, but still--that's part of my inspiration. I have a lot of work to do and it's not other people who necessarily define that, but looking at the big picture and saying, "I'm not that strong. Yet."

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
practical strength+

or something

what i'm getting at is that boogie has all the strength a normal person would ever need for practical, everyday life, and to maintain health. of course powerlifters have that level of strength as well--they just also have the ability to lift a car off people if they happen upon a bad traffic accident

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So I have a dilemma. Last night was chest night. I did 50 chest flys last night with 2 40lbs dumbells while maintaining technique throughout. I want to move up to 50lbs but I don't think my wrists are strong enough to support the wait as I move from vertical to horizontal. How do I get past this dilemma (it may not be a problem, I have yet to try it).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
beelzebozo said:
boogie has what i'd call "practical strength"

Functional strength seems to be the en vogue term for this and the bench press is it's antithesis. For years, it's been heralded as the measure of true strength in the locker room, while in actuality, it's probably not indicative of much beyond the practitioner's time spent pushing weight while lying flat on his back.

That's not to say that there's isn't strength and skill involved, just that in terms of raw, usable, applicable strength, the bench is the low man on the totem when compare to just about every other power lift. If you were trying to become strong and could only choose one lift, the bench would be very close to last on the list.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
karasu said:
sport specific strength.

yeah, this works. thanks.

urk said:
Functional strength seems to be the en vogue term for this and the bench press is it's antithesis. For years, it's been heralded as the measure of true strength in the locker room, while in actuality, it's probably not indicative of much beyond the practitioner's time spent pushing weight while lying flat on his back.

That's not to say that there's isn't strength and skill involved, just that in terms of raw, usable, applicable strength, the bench is the low man on the totem when compare to just about every other power lift. If you were trying to become strong and could only choose one lift, the bench would be very close to last on the list.

interesting. i'm not very up on the terminology, so i appreciate you guys keeping me abreast of that stuff. on the topic of the lifts for power, though, if the bench is the low man on the totem pole as you say, what's on the other end of the spectrum leading the pack?

lil smoke

Banned
RSTEIN said:
So I have a dilemma. Last night was chest night. I did 50 chest flys last night with 2 40lbs dumbells while maintaining technique throughout. I want to move up to 50lbs but I don't think my wrists are strong enough to support the wait as I move from vertical to horizontal. How do I get past this dilemma (it may not be a problem, I have yet to try it).
50 straight? I have never had a problem with wrists on big weight flies. No strain at all. The biggest issue for me is getting the weights down safely on the last rep. And I forgot to do flies today.... damn.

urk said:

I remember when "functional strength" was being championed in the early 2000's...Largely used by Dragon Door and Pavel. Now it's reached "buzz word" status in the fitness industry.

The bench is great for building raw strength. There is no other pressing movement that allows you to use as much weight as the bench press. In terms of "functional" usability, the standing press is a better bet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
beelzebozo said:
on the topic of the lifts for power, though, if the bench is the low man on the totem pole as you say, what's on the other end of the spectrum leading the pack?

Clean and Jerk, Deadlift, and Squat would be near the top. Could probably throw Pull-ups in there as well.

If you're interesting in Powerlifting though, you'll pretty much have to develop the Bench Press. It is a strong lift, I don't want to give the impression that a heavy bench is anything to sneeze at, but in terms of functional strength, it's not going to apply much to anything outside of the lift itself.

edit:

Mr. Snrub said:
I remember when "functional strength" was being championed in the early 2000's...Largely used by Dragon Door and Pavel. Now it's reached "buzz word" status in the fitness industry.

The bench is great for building raw strength. There is no other pressing movement that allows you to use as much weight as the bench press. In terms of "functional" usability, the standing press is a better bet.

Yeah, Pavel and his acolytes at DD love their buzzwords, don't they?

beelzebozo said:
interesting. i'm not very up on the terminology, so i appreciate you guys keeping me abreast of that stuff. on the topic of the lifts for power, though, if the bench is the low man on the totem pole as you say, what's on the other end of the spectrum leading the pack?

Well, I think in terms of power, bench really isn't that far down on the totem pole. Actually, let me digress a second...

Something that Mark Rippetoe brought up, and I agree with, is the misnomer of "powerlifting". In reality, "weightlifting" (olympic lifting) should be called "powerlifting", as it's lifts rely on power to generate the lift. Powerlifting should be called "strengthlifting".

Back to the question...in "powerlifting", the bench is not low on the totem at all, obviously: it's one of the three main lifts. As far as "functional" strength, the bench is great at developing maximal strength, but it largely ignores the way the human body works, the kinetic chain, etc. That's why the overhead press is better and more representative of "functional" strength.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Vanish said:

Military Press
Deadlifts
Shrugs
Seated Dumbbell Presses
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

Military Press
Deadlifts
Rows
Tricep Kickbacks
Bicep curls
Bench press

Well, this routine would fit nicely into the whole split routine debate we were having a few pages back. Personally, I don't like your routine, but I'm a fan of split training. I tried a similar approach to this when I first started about 4 months ago. I've noticed huge gains since I changed my routine to split.

lil smoke said:
50 straight? I have never had a problem with wrists on big weight flies. No strain at all. The biggest issue for me is getting the weights down safely on the last rep.
And I forgot to do flies today.... damn.

No, 5x10. I don't like 5x10 but since my dumbells max out at 40lbs that's what I have to do. I'm going to get 50lbs & 60lbs this weekend.

Boogie said:

It seems to me that you might be saying "strength" when you mean "skill." Someone who's natually strong might have "heavy hands," but if he isn't a technically sound boxer, he won't be able to knock anyone out. Ask Matt Hammill.

Ace 8095

Mr. Snrub said:

From their official site http://www.cormaxtc.us/science.shtml

"Cormax is the only strength training equipment that is specifically designed to train your neuromuscular system to fire faster. Speed is the important quality here. Cormax is designed so that you can explode through the sticking point and release the weight at the fastest point of the lift. This is explosive training at its best."

I guess barbells are no longer considered equipment.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ace 8095 said:
From their official site http://www.cormaxtc.us/science.shtml

"Cormax is the only strength training equipment that is specifically designed to train your neuromuscular system to fire faster. Speed is the important quality here. Cormax is designed so that you can explode through the sticking point and release the weight at the fastest point of the lift. This is explosive training at its best."

I guess barbells are no longer considered equipment.

KaseyAkira (4 days ago) Show Hide
0 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
Trust me, no matter how many kinesiologist speak out against this... no matter how many strength coaches condemn it... no matter how much evidence we present to the public denouncing it...

It has a video on youtube.

And the video is set to cool music.

Lets face it. Science is no match against a youtube video with cool music.

If only I could COUNT how many youtube debates I've been in where this very logic was used: video + cool music BEATS SCIENCE. Period.

I lol'd

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
are any of the guys in this thread actually ripped looking?? I am just curious to see if any of you guys actually see the results

Malleymal said:
are any of the guys in this thread actually ripped looking?? I am just curious to see if any of you guys actually see the results
The last time I posted pics, GAYF exploded.

Edit: And I suspect MeowMeow might still be lurking.

Christopher

Malleymal said:

Yes sir - I don't post pesronal pictures online anymore though I did at one time maybe they are still in the photo thread

lil smoke

Banned
I definitely overtrained today.

This morning in the gym an unusually powerful adrenaline rush came over me (cuz it's friday?), and I made use of it.

Right now.... 6 hours later I feel like I'm going to faint.

Captain Glanton said:
What are the .4, .9 type numbers on that board in the background? I know the others are the kilos for the lift.

The .09 was 9 tenths of a second left to lift. Got it off just in time.

I'm not ripped, but I'm not trying to be. Maybe I'll snag some pics later.

jacf29

Banned
I'll post pics of my bod before I move to Japan. I'll show before and after pictures, and your jaws will drop once again.

BlueTsunami said:
I love the girl doing the incline bench press. Shes pushing off the weights and laughing like its so cute what shes doing. Wtf is that shit? :lol

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like her left side of the machine has a plate on it, but the right side doesn't?

What in the fuck, seriously. That entire video is fucked up.

Mr.City

reilo said:
What's worse is the week after being sick. Your body feels completely and utterly exhausted.

Oh man, you're right on the money. I'm over my cold, but every workout feels like a struggle now. I hate diseases

Jirotrom

Anybody on here into mountain biking... Im starting save money for a bike. I used to Bike alot when i was younger but its been a while so I need to know the ins and outs... I know I can look online but there is a crap load out there and I need some more streamlined stuff.

Ace 8095

Jirotrom said:
Anybody on here into mountain biking... Im starting save money for a bike. I used to Bike alot when i was younger but its been a while so I need to know the ins and outs... I know I can look online but there is a crap load out there and I need some more streamlined stuff.
I would start by just going to a bike shop and looking around first then doing some research on the ones you like. I had a Giant bike before and it was by far the best bike I ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom