• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
When is FIA WMSC hearing in 'Felipe, Fernando is faster than you, do you understand?' case? Next week?

avaya

Raikkonen would have done better than Alonso this year, no doubt. Last year's KERs weight issue saw him with an immediate disadvantage over Massa.

Also the WSMC hearing is on the 8th I believe....can you confirm you understand this message?

olore

DrM said:
When is FIA WMSC hearing in 'Felipe, Fernando is faster than you, do you understand?' case? Next week?

The hearing is scheduled for the 8th of September, that`s a Wednesday

rhfb said:
Vettel attack force out in full strength after today's race :eek:

Honestly having just watched the race I didn't see anything wrong with either collision and believe there shouldn't have been a penalty. I'll have to go back and watch them again but the Button incident looked like greasy track plus losing it under breaking, nothing intential about it (aka a 'racing incident') Only saw the second coming together once but again at first glance I saw nothing wrong.

Don't really understand the full on attack and strength of the hate he is getting today. Understandable if you don't like him but to say he has no skills is insane.

Vettel didn't do anything wrong. He just spun and Button was unlucky enough to be ahead of him.

Vettel and Webber have skill but when they don't start at the front row and rocket away they make a car that is far and away the best on the grid look average. And when they do start on the front row they make awful starts.

The season has been exciting so far but if you take either the Ferrari pair or Mclaren pair and put them in the Red Bull the WCC would likely have been clinched by now or the next race. There hasn't been a car as dominant as the Red Bull since maybe the F2004 but both titles are still within reach for other teams.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
We will see what will new floor tests in Monza will bring. Most of the teams will have to modify their floors (Williams already did).

Mclaren should be really good in Monza, that track is made for MP4-25. But after that, twisty Singapore, so they really need new upgrades for high downforce tracks, otherwise Webber can drive into sunset, just needs to keep Vettel as far away from him as he can. Lewis should be praying for several wet races more in this season.

kitch9

Banned
John_B said:
Vettel is very skilled, one of the fastest drivers on the grid, he just couldn't overtake an ice cream truck without causing a collision. I'm not sure if you can develop yourself into a great overtaker this late, but it's certainly something that might keep him from achieving the level of Alonso and Hamilton.

Hamilton is definitely the strongest driver so far this season. Unmatched overtakes, has yet to be overtaken in a duel (excep for that shady Button move), and the only driver not from RBR to achieve pole.

This season is very exciting and it will absolutely come down to coolness in the last 3-4 races. We'll see if Hamilton might have matured enough to handle it.

How the hell can you say the guy is skilled but can't overtake in one statement? Isn't that what motor racing is about?

ExtraKr1spy said:
Vettel didn't do anything wrong. He just spun and Button was unlucky enough to be ahead of him.

Vettel and Webber have skill but when they don't start at the front row and rocket away they make a car that is far and away the best on the grid look average. And when they do start on the front row they make awful starts.

The season has been exciting so far but if you take either the Ferrari pair or Mclaren pair and put them in the Red Bull the WCC would likely have been clinched by now or the next race. There hasn't been a car as dominant as the Red Bull since maybe the F2004 but both titles are still within reach for other teams.

But what about Webber at Silverstone? And didn't he convert his poles at Monza and Spain pretty well? I don't know, I think that may be a superficial analysis of Webber after one mistake.

John_B said:
and the only driver not from RBR to achieve pole.

I love Hamilton but the only way he got that pole was to underfuel his car and have to resort to this to get the pole. Kind of makes you understand how good the Redbulls have been in qualifying.

dalin80

Banned
Actually mathematically he would still have got pole even with half a lap extra of fuel and according to mclaren if he had carried on into the pitlane there would have been enough fuel for the FIA test, mclaren were worried that there wouldn't be so told him to stop, in hindsight they didnt need too as lewis had already done pretty much all of the inlap and all he had to do was cruise down the main straight.

John_B

kitch9 said:
How the hell can you say the guy is skilled but can't overtake in one statement? Isn't that what motor racing is about?
Formula 1 is about points. The driver with the most points at the end of the season is declared champion. Not every driver is equally strong in all aspects of racing. Vettel is very fast in clear wind, but mediocre when it comes to overtaking.

magnificent83 said:
I love Hamilton but the only way he got that pole was to underfuel his car and have to resort to this to get the pole. Kind of makes you understand how good the Redbulls have been in qualifying.
It should still not have been possible.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
magnificent83 said:
Even adjusted for fuel correction, Hamilton would still have gotten pole for the Canadian GP.

DieH@rd

Banned
FORCE OF DIEH@RD has ascended to 6th place! :D

rwuvkk.jpg

Pterion

This is clearly Webber's championship to lose. I can't see him getting a better chance next year, unless RBR is even more dominant.

navanman

NeoGAF league were joint top scorers in Spa and extended out lead of AtlasF1 at the top of overall league.

Well done team, don't fuck up on me yet!

S. L.

navanman said:
NeoGAF league were joint top scorers in Spa and extended out lead of AtlasF1 at the top of overall league.

Well done team, don't fuck up on me yet!
with our team of professional experts this is a cakewalk :lol

navanman said:
How on earth did you find that?
Is it a real commercial or for charity or something?

Oh it's real alright, we have quality ads in Canberra as you can see..he's from Queanbeyan which borders Canberra.

S. L.

Lucius86 said:
SL, you going to change your team next week from your super Red Bull all stars to suit the maccas???
maybe, will wait for the training. But swapping one of the drivers for Hammy doesn't seem like such a bad idea atm

kitch9

Banned
John_B said:
Formula 1 is about points. The driver with the most points at the end of the season is declared champion. Not every driver is equally strong in all aspects of racing. Vettel is very fast in clear wind, but mediocre when it comes to overtaking.

It should still not have been possible.

Put any of the drivers in a fast car and they'll all be able to drive it fast.

Pimpwerx

I fell asleep at the wheel this weekend, but I'll be prepped for the last 6 races of the season. I got some changes to make. PEACE.

navanman said:
Very interesting Youtube video of Vettel, Button crash.

Look at Vettels front wing when he is in Buttons slip stream. Its flexing wildly from side to side, could explain his loss of downforce, grip when lost control of his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwQP_0YRdk

Interesting indeed. I also noticed in Hungary that everytime when Vettel tried to stay close to Alonso in the last corner the car immediately looked very unstable.

kitch9 said:
Put any of the drivers in a fast car and they'll all be able to drive it fast.

Well yeah.

But it'll also expose deficiencies like Vettels ability to pass. He had a car 1.5s faster than the rest of the field and he couldn't get by Alonso. I know Hungraroring is a tough place to pass but when he was trying to force Alonso into a mistake the SpeedTV commentators mentioned that of the two Vettels more likely to make the mistake and go off a turn(choke). Few laps later he did. Mark Webber is also similar.

moojito said:
Massa's temporary replacements last year would disagree!

Yep. Great drivers making a turd of a car look good. I can understand Badoer struggling with the car since he hadn't raced in a long time but Fisi had been racing all season until his jump to Ferrari. Massa and Kimi(especially) got the most out that car.

Shaneus

ExtraKr1spy said:
Well yeah.

But it'll also expose deficiencies like Vettels ability to pass. He had a car 1.5s faster than the rest of the field and he couldn't get by Alonso. I know Hungraroring is a tough place to pass but when he was trying to force Alonso into a mistake the SpeedTV commentators mentioned that of the two Vettels more likely to make the mistake and go off a turn(choke). Few laps later he did. Mark Webber is also similar.
How's Webber similar? I know I'm a fanboy but he's driven consistently cleaner than Vettel ever has and nowhere near as aggressive or inconsiderate.

Shaneus

I think I was watching the BBC telecast (in Australia on free-to-air, it's on a station called One) and Brundle said the same thing. It's a wonder he didn't get penalised for it.

Shaneus said:
How's Webber similar? I know I'm a fanboy but he's driven consistently cleaner than Vettel ever has and nowhere near as aggressive or inconsiderate.

Mark has been a bit ragged now and again, australia being the number 1 example. In fact they all have had their off days.
as much as i hate to say it, Hammy is the one looking the most composed.
all that may change post monza.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S. L. said:
maybe, will wait for the training. But swapping one of the drivers for Hammy doesn't seem like such a bad idea atm

you have so much spare cash you can afford to swap for one race and still afford to swap back for the final races? (presumably you'd want to be on a heavily RBR setup after monza)

I love how Whiting can notice perfectly Alonso starting a blink of an eye before red went down but he can't notice Massa being a good while over his line for like half a minute.

Not even an investigation later on.

megateto

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I love how Whiting can notice perfectly Alonso starting a blink of an eye before red went down but he can't notice Massa being a good while over his line for like half a minute.

Not even an investigation later on.

Nor a notice...

S. L.

mrklaw said:
you have so much spare cash you can afford to swap for one race and still afford to swap back for the final races? (presumably you'd want to be on a heavily RBR setup after monza)
my warchest is easily big enough to switch everything to McL and then Back to RBR after Monza :lol :lol

kitch9

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Vettel: good driver, mediocre racer. Is that what you're saying?

Average driver, diabolical racer.

He can't handle the pressure and twitches on the steering wheel more than Michael J Fox......

navanman

Dilly said:
Renault wants to buy the majority of the shares of the Renault F1 team back.

Thats crazy!
Last year, Renault was doing crap, we are pulling out of F1, sells majority stake.
This year, Renault is doing great, lets buy back into the team and fund it properly.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
More and more indications that Mercedes tweaked engines in Mclaren to use igntion trick in the race

Igo

DrM said:
More and more indications that Mercedes tweaked engines in Mclaren to use igntion trick in the race

So how long till the Mercedes works team employs this on their cars? I gather there's no way McLaren could pull that off without all the information going both ways is there?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
^^^:lol :lol :lol

Igo said:
So how long till the Mercedes works team employs this on their cars? I gather there's no way McLaren could pull that off without all the information going both ways is there?
Well, Mercedes team cannot win the title, so the only way for Mercedes-Benz is to help Mclaren as much as they can with engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom