• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadman

The bonus question is up, its nice and complicated.

Edit:
By my reckoning A B and C are all false, whereas 1 and 3 are true :s

S. L.

Deadman said:
The bonus question is up, its nice and complicated.

Edit:
By my reckoning A B and C are all false, whereas 1 and 3 are true :s
eh, it was pretty straightforward to answer. didn't even take 5 min and a bit wiki
lol :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its weird. Different maps have different number of turns.

By my reckoning its
A3 - A because Lesmos is the second curve, disregarding chicanes, it is officially the second named "curve" and 3 for obvious reasons.

Igo

AndyD said:
Its weird. Different maps have different number of turns.

By my reckoning its
A3 - A because Lesmos is the second curve, disregarding chicanes, it is officially the second named "curve" and 3 for obvious reasons.

You'd be wrong. The question was second turn if i'm remembering correctly. I'm not about to reopen that ridiculously slow site.

Seriously guys, this has to be one of the easiest bonus questions all season. Took me about a 2 minutes and a minute of that was waiting for the damn site to refresh.

It's not like I even need to money anymore anyway. I have enough just from the races to switch drivers and engines and then back the following race.

Dead Man

Igo said:
You'd be wrong. The question was second turn if i'm remembering correctly. I'm not about to reopen that ridiculously slow site.

Seriously guys, this has to be one of the easiest bonus questions all season. Took me about a 2 minutes and a minute of that was waiting for the damn site to refresh.

It's not like I even need to money anymore anyway. I have enough just from the races to switch drivers and engines and then back the following race.
Cocky! :lol But I think he's right. 3 has to be right, and I can't find a map with 10 turns.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/14_Italy_EN_CMYK_300dpi.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monza_track_map.svg

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/italy_837/circuit_diagram.html

http://fia.com/en-GB/sport/championships/f1/2010/italy/Pages/circuit.aspx

Salacious Crumb

e3lMl.png

?

Dead Man

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
No 13th team for 2011 season. Probably for the best and may give the crappy teams a chance to stabilise and get more money.

navanman

Following the press release of 19 March 2010 calling for expressions of interest to participate in the 2011 and 2012 seasons of the FIA Formula One World Championship, a number of interested parties expressed their interest. It was considered that none of the candidates met the requirements to be granted an entry into the Championship.

“Consequently, the allocation of the 13th team will not be granted.

navanman

2011 F1 World Championship

13/03 Bahrain

27/03 Australia

10/04 Malaysia

17/04 China

08/05 Turkey

22/05 Spain

29/05 Monaco

12/06 Canada

26/06 Europe

10/07 Great Britain

24/07 Germany

31/07 Hungary

28/08 Belgium

11/09 Italy

25/09 Singapore

09/10 Japan

16/10 Korea

30/10 India*

13/11 Abu Dhabi

27/11 Brazil

moojito

I thought they would have learned from last year and bumped Malaysia back to May. Maybe since f-ducts are getting banned, McLaren can fit an f-outboard motor and guarantee a sneaky win.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Fowler said:
The Korean GP is also in the middle of nowhere, so good luck getting everyone down there Bernie.

No kidding. I'm in Seoul and and it's like a 3 hour trek by subway/ktx. Plus all their hotels listed are in Seoul...

Terrible location.

operon

navanman said:
Latest word is that Ferrari got off scott free. No penalty in points or financial.

F*ck that!!

It makes sense it that yes Team order are banned but its impossible not to have team orders, as David Coultard has pointed out, from which driver get to drive the car first int he season to parts for the car etc etc its not going to happen

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iapetus said:
Cue FIA acronym explanations.

Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile

I think the confusion comes from the 'l' in front of Automobile. Easy mistake for people to make.

Goldrusher

navanman said:
Following the press release of 19 March 2010 calling for expressions of interest to participate in the 2011 and 2012 seasons of the FIA Formula One World Championship, a number of interested parties expressed their interest. It was considered that none of the candidates met the requirements to be granted an entry into the Championship.

“Consequently, the allocation of the 13th team will not be granted.
Villeneuve/Durango said they'll now look into buying one of the existing teams, which was there original plan anyway.

"We return to our original plan, which was our plan B, that is to say, the takeover of one of the teams already in place," said Villeneuve telephone interview.

"It probably cost a bit more expensive and we must ensure we have a free hand with a possible team redeemed," said Villeneuve. We do not want to be taken with partners that we would not have chosen. It will also see the contracts that are in place to avoid it interfere with our plans. For example, we have tremendous confidence in our design of car. We want to be able to use it, not to have imposed an old design already in place. "

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/sportautomobile/27388-villeneuve-rachat-2011
Perhaps Toro Rosso ? Been up for sale for a long time now and it's Italian.

There have been rumors that HRT will partner with Epsilon Euskadi next season; and I don't see Virgin and Lotus selling there teams already.

Wes

venison crêpe
Korea has a long straight followed by a hairpin. Huzzah! (judging by the video anyway)

Monza soon <3

moojito

I've no idea. A lot of people seem to say "x track has y, so it is bad" without bothering to explain why. I did notice it had a straight followed by a right-left-right which is good for overtaking, like the hamilton/button thing in Turkey.

Wes

venison crêpe
Adamm said:
Thats the best type of track, right!

.......right?

Most consistently entertaining corner to watch so far this season was the hairpin in China which is a mammoth straight heading towards a sharp hairpin.

Although looking at the Korean track layout it's not a hairpin at all. More of a 110degree turn. Will still see a lot of people diving up the inside though/people outbraking themselves.

Burai

shitonmychest57
navanman said:
Latest word is that Ferrari got off scott free. No penalty in points or financial.

F*ck that!!

It's an awful state of affairs. In effect, Ferrari have paid $100,000 to the FIA to be allowed to break a rule. They've used their considerable financial backing to manufacture a result with the governing body.

All sporting transgressions should be met with a time/points penalty. That's the only way you can stop them. If you impose a financial penalty, there's nothing to stop a team buying their way to the top.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
McLaren: New flexi-tests 'challenging'
McLaren has confirmed that it has had to modify its car to avoid falling foul of the more stringent flexible bodywork tests being introduced at this weekend's Italian Grand Prix - but says it has managed to turn the change into a performance upgrade.

As part of the range of measures taken to address the controversy over allegedly flexible wings, cars will be subjected to extra tests to their floors from Monza.

Tim Goss, chief engineer on McLaren's MP4-25, acknowledged that the new tests would be much tougher for the team that the front wing checks that were ramped up for Spa.

"We haven't had to make any modifications to front wings in terms of bodywork flexibility," he said during the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in teleconference.

"As far as the 'bib' is concerned, the new off-set load test is challenging and we've had to make minor modifications just to make sure that we're well inside the deflection limits that the FIA are going to set on that. We've modified our bib, and we've taken the opportunity to roll it up into a minor performance upgrade."

He believes the Monza changes will have forced the entire pitlane into modifying their cars.

"I think as far as the off-set bib test is concerned, I would expect most teams would probably have had to make changes to comply with that," Goss said.

"As far as articulated planks are concerned, there are a number of teams that run floor-skids in multiple pieces and the FIA have tightened up on that to ban articulated skidblocks. I'd imagine other teams would have to do modifications for that.

"As far as the wings are concerned, the evidence from Spa was, you'd have to say, that there seemed to be fewer cars running more flexible wings, although that's very subjective."

Goss is confident that the modified McLaren will be extremely competitive at Monza, not just because the car is expected to be well-suited to the circuit, but because recent upgrades have now started taking full effect. Following a run of disappointing races - and particularly a dreadful weekend at Hungary - McLaren regained ground and won at Spa a fortnight ago.

"We have a very ambitious car aerodynamically, so really we think we've got a good chance of occupying the front row and a good chance of challenging for a race win," said Goss of McLaren's Monza prospects.

"We were shocked and disappointed at our performance in Hungary - the Red Bull seemed to be particularly competitive on longer, flowing corners and certainly in Hungary we weren't able to compete with them.

"Our performance at Spa was partly due to circuit characteristics but also we did bring substantial and significant performance upgrades to the car.

"We've been playing catch-up on blown diffusers for a couple of races and we're actually just getting to grips with setting the car up around it. We made some significant developments there and that is hopefully going to carry us through to not just circuits like Spa and Monza, but through the remaining circuits that we've got this season."
Autosport

AndyD

aka andydumi
Burai said:
It's an awful state of affairs. In effect, Ferrari have paid $100,000 to the FIA to be allowed to break a rule. They've used their considerable financial backing to manufacture a result with the governing body.

All sporting transgressions should be met with a time/points penalty. That's the only way you can stop them. If you impose a financial penalty, there's nothing to stop a team buying their way to the top.

Right. What's worse is that others will also pusj the envelope, and the FIA will arbitrarily decide who went too far and punish them more severely.

avaya

Disgraceful FIA decision. Absolutely disgraceful.

Only good thing to come out of it is that they are reviewing the ridiculous rule in the first place.

navanman

I feel sorry for Massa in all this. He was robbed of a perfectly good win and his first since his accident last year.

BACK IN THE FUCKING GAME SON

fernando-alonso.jpg

FUCK eddie jordan and his bullshit opinion, none of us have forgotten him 'robbin' us of a race between Ralf and Damon Hill with HIS team orders.

onwards to FP1, the gremlins should be out of the f10 now, Alonso to dominate for massive damage.

Salacious Crumb

Templar Wizard said:

BACK IN THE FUCKING GAME SON

FUCK eddie jordan and his bullshit opinion, none of us have forgotten him 'robbin' us of a race between Ralf and Damon Hill with HIS team orders.

Team orders weren't illegal back then, that's his point. whether you agree with the rule or not is irrelevant (I think it's shit), the rule does exist and Ferrari blatantly breached that rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom