• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shaneus said:
Ugh, I agree. He really, really fucking needs to work on them.

Praying for at least one more Webber victory... that should seal it. Korea should be interesting.

As long as the other drivers are taking turns winning, he can happily finish on the podium and probably bring it home. Hope so, would be a nice story. Alonso has already won, can't stand vettel for some reason, and the mclaren pair seem to far behind with no momentum

S. L.

Vettel would be my current bet for WDC winner. He is in great form and relatively comfortable faster than Webber atm. As long as he doesn't screw up he should win this. Webber needs to have non shitty starts, hope for a Vettel screw up and not screw up himself....

Alsonso would need a Vettel - Webber collision to still have a chance

SLs_official_neogaf_VettelFinger.jpg

Jinjo

Pretty cool how 2 races ago everyone was saying it was going to be Webber vs. Hamilton. Personally I'd have given the title (or atleast the most chance to win it) to Hamilton too after he won Spa. But after the 2 non-finishes he has no chance. He really screwed up. And McLaren lost their advantage too. Such a shame. Now I hope Webber wins it. He has really been on form the entire season. Whatever the end result though, this has been one hell of a season and we still have the final races to go. It's going to be tense. :D

Shaneus

I think the main problem with predicting the winner is that Webber is almost always guaranteed a podium finish (which normally would be enough at this stage of the season to win) but you just don't know what could happen with either Alonso or Vettel... they always shoot for victories.

One thing's for sure though, second to Webber I'll be supporting Kobayashi next season :D

Pterion

Boy, is it pouring or what? Still, I'm not ready to give up hope as it only takes 1 DNF/poor result from the current top 3 to put Hamilton back in the title fight with a win in Korea. Stranger things have happened.

Bring it!

moojito

Yarr, with Alonso on old engines, I'm sure they could pop at any time. The red bull drivers are far from incident free, as well. I'd certainly not call it done and done, even at this stage.

Shaneus

S. L. said:
I call Vettel!
I'll bet my cat on it!
You already mentioned that... about 4 posts prior. Now stop sullying this page with drivers who have no regard for their competitors. This is Webber country :D

Deadman

Vettel and webber crash in to each other at least once, alonso's engine will explode, hamilton will be champ.

I regret betting on him at 9/1, because now its 28/1. Such is life.

Pterion

Deadman said:
Vettel and webber crash in to each other at least once, alonso's engine will explode, hamilton will be champ.

I regret betting on him at 9/1, because now its 28/1. Such is life.
I'm seriously tempted to bet on him at this point. But I'm no betting man... :(

Brazil 2008 and now this? Epic crow-eating incoming, lulz.

megateto

Seems that Nando had some troubles during the formation lap:

"Antes de la salida estaba muy preocupado. Bueno, más que preocupado, estaba convencido de que iba a salir mal porque tuve un problema en la vuelta de formación, perdimos todos los datos de la centralita y tuvimos que decidir la posición de embrague sin tener ninguna referencia"

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Estaba/preocupado/elpepidep/20101011elpepidep_8/Tes

Which more or less means that his car's electronic central unit lost all the data, and the team had to blind set the clutch position, with no reference.

He also said that he was pretty sure that he was going to have a bad start due to ECU problem.

Sorry, it's the best I can do with the translation.

K444WSR

I think alonsos going to win it. He seems to have gone into some sort of super focused zen-like frame of mind and able to pull out the performance when he needs it. Engine failures aside he's gonna win it....I think...or is that I hope lol

Goldrusher

Sochi, Russia confirmed for 2014 to 2020.

SOCHI, Russia (AP) - Russia will host grand prix races near the Black Sea resort of Sochi starting in 2014 after signing a six-year deal with Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone on Thursday.

Ecclestone and a regional Russian construction official penned the deal in Sochi, which is also hosting the 2014 Winter Olympics. Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin met with Ecclestone and attended the signing.

Russia has tried to get on the F1 circuit before, but former Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov failed to reach an agreement with Ecclestone in 2002 to use the capital as a venue.

The six-year deal also includes an option to extend it for a further five. Russian media reported that the deal would cost Russia at least $40 million a year.

"I sincerely hope that the Formula One is going to play a big part in what I can see happening in Sochi," Ecclestone said. "I'm sure the circuit can be a super circuit.

It's all the things we need and wanted, and we are very happy."

The F1 chief praised the work of Russia's sports organizers, saying: "They are trying to build absolutely first-class facilities both for the Olympics and the Formula One."

Putin also met separately with top Russian businessmen to encourage them to support the event.

"Formula One isn't only the most prestigious competition in motor sport, but it also demonstrates achievements in car manufacturing," Putin said.

Russia is halfway through a mammoth construction effort to build facilities for the 2014 Winter Games, a project originally slated to cost $12 billion but now expected to cost multiples more.

Holding Formula One races there could ensure some of the infrastructure, such as hotels, remain utilized in the years following the Games, satisfying demands from the International Olympic Committee for a legacy.

"For us it's an important event because it would be possible to use effectively everything we have created for the Olympic Games in 2014," Putin said.

Motor racing is hugely popular in Russia and was made even more so with this season's arrival in the sport of Vitaly Petrov. The Renault driver is Russia's first in Formula One.

The sport would also further raise the prestige of the formerly dilapidated Soviet-era resort, with officials keen to erode the irony from its moniker as the Russian Riviera by introducing a Monte Carlo-style chic. Monaco is home to F1's flagship race, the Monaco Grand Prix.

However, crumbling apartment blocks and monolithic hotels that housed entire labor workforces during Soviet summers are still eyesores to this day.

Capturing the world's third-most watched sport is a coup for Putin, who holds sports key to his country's re-emergence as a global power.

He almost single-handedly netted the Olympics for Sochi with a charm offensive on the IOC in 2007.

Putin also could be on the verge of landing the football World Cup in 2018, having personally lobbied inspectors during their summer visit to Russia and led a delegation to FIFA's headquarters in Zurich.

The host country will be announced on Dec. 2. England and the United States are among Russia's rivals to host the tournament.

Leunam

The sport would also further raise the prestige of the formerly dilapidated Soviet-era resort, with officials keen to erode the irony from its moniker as the Russian Riviera by introducing a Monte Carlo-style chic.

I hope that doesn't mean Monte Carlo-style track. :(

S. L.

Salacious Crumb said:
C'mon, he was only 7 hundredths off the pace at a track Vettel loves.
are you saying the Webber is faster on a non-drivers track? (whatever that means)

and even if Webber is faster in quali, you know what will happen during the start :p

Salacious Crumb

S. L. said:
are you saying the Webber is faster on a non-drivers track? (whatever that means)

and even if Webber is faster in quali, you know what will happen during the start :p

I'm just saying that there isn't a very big gap between the two of them, certainly not enough for it to be a sure bet that Vettel will be faster on any given track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom