• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinjo

So many new tracks coming up. Austin, India, Russia and Rome too if that's still a go. Wonder what tracks are going to be cut as that will definitely bring the calendar to 20+ races. Ditch Valencia & Bahrain, please.

Not that I have much faith in the new tracks being any better than those 2 turds.

I presume the Russian track is also designed by none other than Mr. Tilke?

Seanspeed

Banned
Jinjo said:
Not that I have much faith in the new tracks being any better than those 2 turds.
Have you seen the proposed Austin layout?

It looks pretty sweet, actually, and will have the 2nd or 3rd largest elevation changes of all the tracks on the calendar. Its got some nice esses and the obligatory km-long straight of course!

This one actually looks exciting.

Top-down view:

2zznq6e.jpg

View with an idea of the topography:

2jcc2us.jpg

moojito

That nose is an illegal aerodynamic aid, though. I've seen him flip the visor open in qualifying to squeeze out an extra tenth.

AcridMeat

Banned
moojito said:
That nose is an illegal aerodynamic aid, though. I've seen him flip the visor open in qualifying to squeeze out an extra tenth.

I've done the research before, it's just part of his genius.

robert-kubica_1106910c.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Leunam said:
That topography map is probably exaggerated to show the elevation changes.
Of course it is. The point is that it does SHOW the elevation changes, though, and there's a good bit of it.

As for that Kubica article, Hughes has been a bit of a Kubica fanboy for a while now. I love Rob, and I think he's got a great future, but he's still got a lot more to prove before we even put him alongside Alonso or Lewis, let alone above them.

Chris R

For US folk, SPEED will be doing a live webcast of the first practice from Korea if anyone is interested. No clue why they just don't air both practices on TV, but whatever.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Leunam said:
That topography map is probably exaggerated to show the elevation changes.
When it was first announced, someone said its accurate, they hope to make it that way anyway. Whether it turns out, who knows.

AndyD

aka andydumi
New question is up. 3 million. Pretty easy too.

I think I will make another gamble this weekend to try to secure my top half standing. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AndyD said:
New question is up. 3 million. Pretty easy too.

I think I will make another gamble this weekend to try to secure my top half standing. :lol

I think its the first time I've googled a question and had the answer pop up in the mini description for the first search result. Didn't even have to leave google.com

Dilly

Banned
The photo's of the circuit posted by people from the BBC. :lol

Gridboxes still being painted, the pitcomplex looks like it has been deserted for years.

h3ro

Dilly said:
The photo's of the circuit posted by people from the BBC. :lol

Gridboxes still being painted, the pitcomplex looks like it has been deserted for years.

Grass still being put in:

i2ublh.jpg

Seats being installed:
2414k5j.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
Deadman said:
Kim jong il wouldnt let this happen.

Really is worst korea.

I am sure if NK had it he would say something like "I am such a great racer I cannot participate in fear of humiliating everybody else".

Leunam

This reminds me, I need to do a couple laps in Korea in F1 2010 before the real guys get to. Then again, most of them have already done simulator laps.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
20 years ago today that Senna won the 1990 drivers championship with the infamous opening corner crash with Prost.

Also read this morning that the tarmac on the Korean track is ultra slippy, the safety car nearly crashed doing a test lap.
The tarmac is too new and hasn't cured yet and supposedly oil is seeping up to the surface.

Jinjo

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm hoping Webber, Vettel, Button and Alonso crash, leaving it free for Hamilton and bringing me closer to my £200. COME ON.

I don't have £200 riding on this, but I want the same to happen.:lol

Shaneus said:
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.
My heart still wants Button to have a miracle few races and win, but after it was posted here Hamitlon was 20:1 I couldn't resist. He's such a lucky bastard I'm sure he can do it and get me a nice profit. :D

Salacious Crumb

Foliorum Viridum said:
My heart still wants Button to have a miracle few races and win, but after it was posted here Hamitlon was 20:1 I couldn't resist. He's such a lucky bastard I'm sure he can do it and get me a nice profit. :D

Not this year, he has had the worst luck out of any driver on the grid the last few races. If anyone has luck on their side atm it's Webber.

Leunam

navanman said:
The tarmac is too new and hasn't cured yet and supposedly oil is seeping up to the surface.

Tilke himself said that it would make for an exciting race. I guess that's one way to make entertaining races rather than, you know, designing decent tracks.

moojito

Leunam said:
Tilke himself said that it would make for an exciting race. I guess that's one way to make entertaining races rather than, you know, designing decent tracks.

Can you run down some of the problems with the korea track? I always seem to have trouble noticing what's wrong with all these Tilke circuits.

Leunam

Let me just say this: Personally, I think Yas Marina, Marina Bay, and Korea International are actually pretty decent tracks for a driver, but they aren't so great to watch.

Tilke seems to have a love affair of hairpins after long straights. It's not a terrible thing, by any means, but it can get boring after a while. And it's almost like his only solution for creating overtaking opportunities.

What you don't see very often from him are chicanes. There isn't a single one in Korea, China, Bahrain, the current Hockenheimring, and the one in Singapore can be taken in basically a straight line. Spa has one before the start, Monza has three, and Canada has the infamous 'Wall of Champions.'

Which brings me to my next point, actually. Of the previous tracks I mentioned, none of them are really a high speed, low downforce track like Monza or Canada. Maybe I'm imagining it but most of his tracks are medium speed with a couple of high speed straights. If you recall, Canada provided a very exciting race due to the nature of the circuit.

Speaking of nature, some of the best tracks have a really organic feel to them. Spa is such a fantastic track because it's built into the hills where the natural geography shapes the circuit. Even without the rain factor, Spa would still be a fun race to watch. I remember when we all saw helicopter shots of the track, one poster said "Why couldn't they build the track in those hills over there?" and I certainly agreed. There aren't many elevation changes in Tilkes tracks. This point I'm willing to concede since the FIA is kinda strict on circuit regulations, which includes elevation.

Another complaint is that Tilke designs sectors that look like kart tracks. If it's a street circuit, sure, 90 degree turns are a given mostly. But then you look at the second sector in Bahrain (redesigned, mind you) and the last sector of Yas Marina and you wonder why he couldn't pull an Interlagos and make nice flowing curves. There's certainly room for it on the site.

That's all I can think of for now.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Leunam said:
I just found out that our biggest rival, AtlasF1, is made up of autosport forum members.

I know, we have to beat them. Some of the worst trolls and posters on F1 ever on that forum.

AndyD

aka andydumi
navanman said:
I know, we have to beat them. Some of the worst trolls and posters on F1 ever on that forum.

Yep. Its pretty bad over there.

Anyone have any mor recent shots of the Korea track?

Also, I wonder if they will make any changes to the league game for next year. I wonder what they could add to the team structure. I think they certainly need to lessen the money earned a touch, it seems that a good amount of people amassed enough money for top everything with 6-8 races to go. Too early IMO, that should not happen until 2-3 races to go.

Maybe merge engines like gas, rather than split them by team?

Webber will choke at the start again. RB6 being so fast will likely minimize the damage.

I think Webber will win the championship but they should just give it to Newey(sucks Rory Byrne retired) for building an amazing car that hides his drivers flaws.

Wonder if chunks of tarmac will start coming off during the race.

Leunam

70Dwx.png

Formula 1 travels to South Korea to the grand opening of the Korean International Circuit. A completely new track, where the tarmac is still curing, drivers are expected to cope with oily conditions on top of driving an unfamiliar circuit. For a time, no one could be certain if the event would even be held due to how long construction took, and fans were looking at an 18 race season. Even though parts are still being built and grass is still being laid, the race will go on as scheduled.

TAa7M.jpg

6xyP6.png

The Korean Grand Prix is a planned Formula One race to be held in South Korea. After months of speculation, on October 2, 2006 it was confirmed that the event would actually take place in 2010, and would be hosted by the Korean International Circuit, set to be built between 2007 and July 2010. It has also been revealed that the race will be promoted by a public-private company. The deal is for seven years with a five year option that would ensure the race to be held until 2021.

Despite this earlier confirmation, the South Korean Grand Prix was not included on any of the provisional 2010 calendars floated by Formula One Management. Following approval of funding for the event, however, Korea was given the date of 17 October on the 2010 calendar published by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) on 21 September 2009. On December 10, 2009, the organisers of the event announced that they were on schedule, with a plan to finish the circuit on July 5, 2010, though they admitted that their largest problem lay in finding accommodation for all Formula One staff and spectators. The organisers also ruled out the possibility of staging the race at night until they have more knowledge of and experience in running a Grand Prix. Despite all the confirmation there is still a risk that the circuit might not be on time, however this was denied by the race promoter who said that the circuit was ahead of schedule.

After several postponements, the FIA has scheduled a final inspection of the circuit on 11 October 2010, 13 days before the Korean Grand Prix is scheduled to begin. After the FIA inspection, Race Director Charlie Whiting has declared that the race will go ahead.

Formula One drivers commented positively on the new circuit before the race weekend got under way, with several commenting that it looks like an interesting, challenging track.

Onboard Lap

Brutally slow onboard lap of the Korean International Circuit courtesy of HRT driver Karun Chandhok.

MejXp.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
TBD
Most Wins
TBD
Most Wins for Constructor
TBD

Highlights from Previous Years

N/A

Previous Winners

TBD

Drivers Championship Standings

pWMal.png

Constructors Championship Standings

2z81W.png

NeoGAF Championship Standings

6WyoG.png

Last Minute News

Korean organizers sorry for delays
Back in the Rhythm: Sebastian Vettel Q & A
De lar Rosa concludes successful Pirelli test
Korea preview: A critical voyage of discovery
Massa will help Ferrari team mate Alonso's title push
Mark Webber eyes F1 boost in inaugural Korean GP
Sochi agrees deal to host Russian Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton refuses to give up hope over F1 title
Schumacher eyes strong Korea outing
Kubica: Webber or Alonso for title

I'm convinced that if Kubica had a competitive car he would have walked with the driver's trophy many races ago. What a supreme driver. Makes the Renault look less than the also-ran that it is.

With that new wing Lewis began tearing up the track. McLaren, at least for the first practice, look strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom