• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Damn, I missed qualifying. Overslept earlier... ugh. I wonder if Hamilton's incompetence today is related to a lack of concentration after his brush with the law yesterday....

expy

Banned
duckroll said:
Damn, I missed qualifying. Overslept earlier... ugh. I wonder if Hamilton's incompetence today is related to a lack of concentration after his brush with the law yesterday....
I think he could've done better on his last run through, but there were some guys on the track that sort of got in his way.

S. L.

zzz too early for me. also went with f india and total, thou i couldn't afford the f india engine. also got my vettel pole bet right.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Missed FP3 and qualifying. Way too early for me to getting up for it.
I'll be up early for the race though.

The teams other than Ferrari must be wondering how the Red Bull ride height setup works. Its giving them an unbeatable speed in qualifying.

@JRobertsF1 Schumacher has been to talk to Charlie Whiting at the FIA after he claimed Lewis got in his way and also Alonso on his final qualifying run.
Source

fc8x1t.jpg

611x.jpg

610x.jpg

A friendly chat or something else, you decide.

didn't feel like waking up at 6am so going to watch the repeat at 1, I just have to watch the race live tomorrow though, not the same otherwise.

moojito

Every day this week I've had to get up at 0630 for work, and on the one day this week I get off work, I have to get up at the same damn time to see the race. Not cool, Australia!

You gave us Kylie and Claire from lost though, so I'll call this even.

Jinjo

Steppenwolf said:
Sebastian Vettel - Melbourne Pole Position Onboard Lap

Damn impressive driving. He's flying around the track.

Aside from actually being faster than everyone else, he looks faster too. Sector 3 is amazing. You can see he's right on the limit. He almost loses it about 3 times in that sector alone, but he keeps it together. Great stuff. This is a new track record right? Commentators on BBC said something about a low 24 being the previous record by Schumacher.

But god do I hate that finger pointing every single damn time.:lol

Onboards from the Hispania team are funny btw. The steering is just all over the damn place.

Don't know what's up with Hamilton. He is just slow for some reason. Maybe shadows from last year/yesterday evening. Great for Button though. Put me in the supporter camp for him. Either way Hamilton has to get his act together if he is going to make something of it tomorrow. Hoping for rain, that should be quite the spectacle.

I remember last year, that was quite the race. The crash between Vettel & Kubica. My friend actually called that 3 laps before it happened. It was awesome.:lol

thechemist

Vettels lap was amazing there was sparks coming from his car lol at one point near the end, prob his front wing, he was absolutely killing the car. Top job by Webber and Alonso as well.

Jinjo said:
Aside from actually being faster than everyone else, he looks faster too. Sector 3 is amazing. You can see he's right on the limit. He almost loses it about 3 times in that sector alone, but he keeps it together. Great stuff. This is a new track record right? Commentators on BBC said something about a low 24 being the previous record by Schumacher.

Yea it's a new track record. Wasn't even a perfect lap. As you said he's pushing very hard and in sector 3 he makes two small mistakes that must have cost 2-3 tenths.
Webber must have been excellent too if he nearly beat that time.

moojito

Getting pole position seems extra important these days, but now he has it, Vettel will want to be able to switch that off to an extent to get some consistency and not try to get a pole lap every lap or he'll find himself in a wall/with a broken car again, etc.

Jinjo

Steppenwolf said:
Yea it's a new track record. Wasn't even a perfect lap. As you said he's pushing very hard and in sector 3 he makes two small mistakes that must have cost 2-3 tenths.

Webber has been faster throughout the weekend so far. He made a costly mistake in sector 2 on his first Q3 run. Track got worse for the second runs so he didn't get a chance to redeem himself. I hope he beats Vettel to the first corner tomorrow then he can actually win the race. Vettel will retain P2 and Button will have quite the race with Alonso and will take the final spot on the podium (as I said, put me in the Button support camp:D ). Should mix up things nicely in the championship.

moojito

Speaking of Button, I wonder what some of the "worst champion ever" folk are thinking about this fairly respectable qualifying place from him?

navanman

Looks like the FIA may soon be called to rule on the "active suspension" that Red Bull seem to be using to great advantage on Saturday qualifying.

Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn has called on the FIA to clarify the regulations about suspension systems in Formula 1, amid suspicions in the paddock that some outfits may be using a form of 'active ride'.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has openly talked about his inkling that Red Bull Racing in particular may be using a clever mechanical system - perhaps based around a ratchet - that will allow the team to run a low ride height in qualifying yet can adjust itself to be well suited for the heavier fuel loads needed in the race.

If a team was able to get some form of adjustable suspension between low fuel qualifying and the race to keep its ride height constant it could potentially hand it a significant advantage on Saturday afternoons – something that could explain why Red Bull Racing has been so quick in qualifying form.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said about his feelings on Red Bull in Australia: "I don't know anything specific. There is some debate around the paddock as there normally is on these things, and there is an opportunity for us to have a look at it.

"It is an area where frankly a few months ago if the engineers had come to us and said we need to design this system then I would have said I don't think it is permissible.

"But if there appears to be some evidence that perhaps such systems are considered legal, then we need to get one as soon as we can."

Red Bull Racing has strongly denied that it is running such a suspension system – and Brawn reckoned it would be better if the FIA and its technical delegate Charlie Whiting made a ruling on the regulations to avoid any suspicions between teams.

"I think we do need to tidy it up, in fairness to Red Bull because there are accusations being thrown around. It is very unfair," said Brawn. "They have a very good car, and there is no evidence they are unnecessarily doing anything untoward.

"You can do things with tyre pressures between qualifying and the race, which is a simple way of helping the situation. But it is necessary for the FIA to just clarify where we stand.

"Our understanding – I can't remember the article exactly, but you are not allowed to make any suspension changes between qualifying and the race. Anything that influences the suspension, be it gas pressure, be it the intentional manipulation of temperature, would have that effect. I think we need Charlie to clarify that to get rid of the controversy."

Source

navanman

Here is a rumour of how it works:

"They are using a ratchet with a spring which is pre-loaded. To prevent the ratchet from reducing the ride height for instances when the load decrease, like when the inside wheel unloads, both bell cranks are tied in from left to right. The height only ratchets down when the load decreases evenly left to right, which is the decrease due to fuel burn"

The regulations don't permit electronic active suspension but there is no ruling against using a mechanical system.

Did anyone see the sparks coming from the floor of Vettel's car during Q3?
They have the car running really low which would be impossible for a race with 160kg of fuel added.

thechemist

Steppenwolf said:

To get a track record dont you have to get the time in race conditions?

thechemist said:
To get a track record dont you have to get the time in race conditions?

No. it's just the fastest time that was ever driven on a track. For example Stefan Bellofs track record for the Nürburgring Nordschleife is from a training session.

"Basically on my last try, I was slowed down by him," explained Schumacher about Alonso. "I asked him whether the team had told him [I was on a quick lap] and he said no.

unlike you Michael, who came up with the idea yourself in monaco a few years back....

Pimpwerx

moojito said:
Speaking of Button, I wonder what some of the "worst champion ever" folk are thinking about this fairly respectable qualifying place from him?
Lewis had the measure of him all weekend except Q2. It's not like Button's been manhandling him all weekend. He was only faster in FP3 because Lewis had to weigh-in the last 10 minutes of the session. Not sure wtf happened to Lewis. I'm just blindly hoping it was either a problem with the car, or he decided to gamble and setup for rain. But the problem with that argument is that you don't need to setup for rain until Q3.

I hope it rains, otherwise, Lewis is gonna be following someone for half a race, pass them and then follow another car the rest of the race. PEACE.

Lewis will let out all of his frustrations at the first corner and he'll either take out everyone or go from 11th to being ahead of Button.

h3ro

Finally got a chance to watch Quali. What a lap by Vettel! He was wringing the crap out of the car. That #1 celebration is going to get annoying though, as much as Schumi's stupid podium jump.

'Nando did a great job to be right there with the Red Bulls in a car that obviously gives up a little bit to those two. I'm hoping he can split Seb and Webber by Turn 1.

Also, bring on the rain!

TylerD

OT Alert!

Pterion said:
I love C63 AMGs. :D

You might like this too then. E63 AMG. 518 HP and 465 lb ft TQ.

Review

Sounds good man.

Don't listen with the speakers too loud the first time :)

-------------------------------------------

I remember seeing sparks coming from underneath several cars. Not just Vettel's.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ferrari is also adjusting the ride height during qualifying as well, but they have to manually adjust the ride height during pit stops, so it probably isn't as effective in race as RBR

S. L.

StoOgE said:
Ferrari is also adjusting the ride height during qualifying as well, but they have to manually adjust the ride height during pit stops, so it probably isn't as effective in race as RBR
pretty sure they have to drive "race height" in qualifying as they are not allowed to adjust it between quali and race. they can just adjust during the pitstops in the race

navanman

S. L. said:
pretty sure they have to drive "race height" in qualifying as they are not allowed to adjust it between quali and race. they can just adjust during the pitstops in the race

You are allowed to make changes to 2 things between qualifying and the race. You can change the tyre pressure and also re-gas the suspension dampers. This is another theory how Red Bull are adjusting their ride height.
How they can do it during the race is the question though.

navanman

Yep, I'm off to catch some sleep. See you all in 6 hrs, or technically 7 cos the clocks are going forward tonight.

Dead Man

navanman said:
Looks like the FIA may soon be called to rule on the "active suspension" that Red Bull seem to be using to great advantage on Saturday qualifying.

Source
Damnit. This is one of the things that drives me nuts about F1 these days. Any mechanical innovation is against the spirit of the rules. Mass dampers, mechanical solutions to banning of electronics, very clever things that F1 should be promoting, are all banned. With engine development frozen it has very little room to call itself the pinnacle of technology, except maybe in aerodynamics.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
navanman said:
Yep, I'm off to catch some sleep. See you all in 6 hrs, or technically 7 cos the clocks are going forward tonight.

Feel the pain of US F1 fans.

we get TWO races a year that aren't either really late at night or really early in the morning.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Seeing Vettel fly through the chicane will never get old. It's like Webber said; when you nail the line it is so satisfying to drive through.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just watched a nice interview with Sutil. He seems to be a large reason why Force India went from absolute crap to moderate success. If there's one driver who deserves a top podium finish, it's this guy.

A shame about the Bahrain incident as he was working on an entirely different strategy to the other drivers in terms of tyres. Would've been interesting to see it had he pulled it off.

Zinga

Banned
Victoria has stupid laws which basically means if you do something like a burnout or get caught speeding you get your car impounded.... I swear I hate the nanny state/police state mentality of Australian lawmakers.

Vettel is a masterful driver, a real talent, lets see how he goes in the race with Webber and Alonso hungry for the win.

Sucks that Schuey wasn't able to get a good lap in, doubt that Alonso and others did it intentionally though, but hopefully in the next race it won't be as big a problem.

Dead Man

2 pretty big shunts so far in the support races, one left a fair bit of fluid around the back of the track but it should be cleared up fine since there are 2 more support races before the F1.

Chris R

Just over 90 minuets until the race starts! Looks like it has rained recently, but they might be clear for the race as a big ass cloud is passing south of Melbourne. Going to brew a big cup of coffee and sit back and enjoy my Saturday night :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom