• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgun

Watching the free practice and hearing one of the 5 Live commentators talk about the Visor cam he tested has me really wanting to see the footage it recorded. Apparently the camera was mounted in the visor right inbetween your eyes.

Lucius86

Banned
Orgun said:
Watching the free practice and hearing one of the 5 Live commentators talk about the Visor cam he tested has me really wanting to see the footage it recorded. Apparently the camera was mounted in the visor right inbetween your eyes.

Yeah, that sounds amazing. Although the vibration from it was worse than what the human eye sees apparently, so it could be a tad unrealistic.

Dilly

Banned
Coulthard had that camera in his last race, too bad he crashed in the first lap.

I'd love to see this being used in every race.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cock, I've missed two bonus questions now because of work. I'm screwed.

oh well. Dumped Sutil and poured all my money into engine/chassis/fuel. So now I have two bottom drivers, but Force India chassis, RBR engine and Total fuel.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The main F1 news today is that Pat Fry, McLaren Chief Engineer and designer of last year's F1 car has left the team.
No news if he is taking a break from the sport, or on gardening leave to join another team for next year.

h3ro

navanman said:
The main F1 news today is that Pat Fry, McLaren Chief Engineer and designer of last year's F1 car has left the team.
No news if he is taking a break from the sport, or on gardening leave to join another team for next year.

Looks like a sabbatical, as per Whitmarsh:

"I think it was probably good for him, the right decision for him to take a bit of a break, take a breather. I think he's worked very hard for the team for a number of years.

Link.

h3ro said:
Looks like a sabbatical, as per Whitmarsh:

Link.

Bit odd though given that he was designing next year's car (which is apparently a fair way along already). You'd have thought he'd hold out until that car is complete before taking a sabbatical - if indeed that is really why he's leaving.

navanman

Oh yeah, the other big rumour is that HRT are in serious finiancial trouble and don't have the funds to complete all races this year.

"HRT have got problems. I will sort it out," Ecclestone told the Telegraph in an interview on Friday. "I'd like to see 12 teams finish the season because they have made the commitment to come in.

"We might lose one of them. But I'm doing my bit to make sure it doesn't happen."

HRT made it to the grid in Bahrain after an eleventh-hour rescue deal, but arrived in the first race without any testing and has struggled at the back of the grid.

h3ro

rogue_pigeon said:
Bit odd though given that he was designing next year's car (which is apparently a fair way along already). You'd have thought he'd hold out until that car is complete before taking a sabbatical - if indeed that is really why he's leaving.

Odd timing as well considering the Stepney trial just began in Italy. Not saying there is a link between the two though. I'm glad that whole ordeal is almost over.

Couldn't stand McLaren during that time but last thing I want to see is one of the historic, great teams demolished to the point of leaving.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
He could end up in another team.

Leunam

nwejxt.png

Round 6 of the Formula 1 2010 season comes hot off the heels of Barcelona, just a week earlier. Situated in Monte Carlo, the Circuit de Monaco is a tight and claustrophobic track that demands razor sharp attention from it's guests, more so than usual. With Fernando Alonso topping both FP1 and FP2, one can expect a strong performance by the Ferrari driver. A favorite track for many of the drivers, the 80 year old street circuit will pit this years hopefuls against more than just themselves in a vicious fight for positions.

2llgb36.png

xm4nb5.png

The Circuit de Monaco consists of the city streets of Monte Carlo and La Condamine, which includes the famous harbour. It is unique in having been held on the same circuit every time it has been run over such a long period — only the Italian Grand Prix, which has been held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza every year except 1980 and 1921, has a similarly lengthy and close relationship with a single circuit.

The race circuit has many elevation changes, tight corners, and a narrow course that makes it one of the most demanding tracks in Formula One racing. As of 2010, only two drivers have crashed and ended up in the harbour, the most famous being Alberto Ascari in 1955. Despite the fact that the course has had minor changes several times during its history, it is still considered the ultimate test of driving skills in Formula One, and if it were not already an existing Grand Prix, it would not be permitted to be added to the schedule for safety reasons. Even in 1929, 'La Vie Automobile' magazine offered the opinion that "Any respectable traffic system would have covered the track with <<Danger>> sign posts left, right and centre".

Triple Formula One champion Nelson Piquet was fond of saying that racing at Monaco was "like trying to cycle round your living room", but added that "a win here was worth two anywhere else".

Notably, the course includes a tunnel. The contrast of daylight and gloom when entering/exiting the tunnel presents "challenges not faced elsewhere", as the drivers have to "adjust their vision as they emerge from the tunnel at the fastest point of the track and brake for the chicane in the daylight."

Onboard Lap

Circuit De Monaco Onboard Lap courtesy of Mclaren Driver Jenson Button

mh591s.png

Take a closer look here.

Fastest Lap
Felipe Massa - Ferrari - 1:15.154
Most Wins
Ayrton Senna - 6
Most Wins for Constructor
Mclaren - 15

Highlights from Previous Years

Highlights from Monaco 2008

Highlights from Monaco 1998

Highlights from Monaco 1937

Previous Winners

t0iw6b.png

Championship Standings

ogfdqv.png

Last Minute News

Ferraris Fernando Alonso Sets Fastest Pace in Practice
Mclarens Lewis Hamilton Will Take Risks to Try for Monaco Win
A Lap of Monte Carlo with Renaults Robert Kubica
Monte Carlo Practice Analysis
60 Years On - The World Championship Pioneers

navanman

Alonso crashes his Ferrari at the top of the hill and wipes out right hand wheel and nose.

He was fastest at the time, going to miss all that setup time now.

Chris R

That crash made me go and quickly change my Pole Position bet. I still think Alonso will do well, but P1 after the crash? Might be tough.

navanman

The track is really rubbering in quick now as Hamilton goes fastest.

Schumacher loses it too at the top of the hill but manages to stop before he hits the barriers.

The in-car camera shows how bumpy it is on that part of the track.

And now Petrov does the exact same thing, must be some oil or something also on that part of the track.

Fuck, they are all doing it now. Sutil now puts it into the barrier.

navanman

Could we about to see a non-RBR car qualify on the front row.

Vettel is on a qualfying run and is only 3rd fastest. Kubica and Schumi are looking great so far. Pity Alonso crashed as he was a cert for P1 IMO.

:lol :lol Scap that. Webber easily quickest now.

Igo

John_B said:
Do they have a back up car for Alonso? It seems impossible to fix that car in 3 hours.

No back up chassis anymore due to cost saving I believe.

Buemi better not bin it because he's looking decently fast and I just added him for this weekend.

AcridMeat

Banned
Igo said:
No back up chassis anymore due to cost saving I believe.

Buemi better not bin it because he's looking decently fast and I just added him for this weekend.

You and I both brother.

Also, KUBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

navanman

Kubica has a great chance of P1 today if he can get the space on track for his qualifying run.
Time to change my team now and make my bets.

navanman

AcridMeat said:
I need to head to bed (3am here), what are the chances of Alonso being able to qualify, let alone be on the grid for the race?

He should be able to make qualifying and make top 4 IMO.

AcridMeat

Banned
navanman said:
He should be able to make qualifying and make top 4 IMO.

Oh okay, initially sounded like he was completely done for.

Welp, I'm cheering for you in my sleep sir Kubi, get it done.

edit:
Igo said:
I have a feeling I may end up not getting a single bet right this weekend.
Try what I am and add the same driver to two slots. :lol

Lince

Banned
pro_photo1273921478.jpg

Alonso will start last from pit lane tomorrow, car damaged beyond hope for qualifying

just so much for "we need perfection this weekend" :lol

moojito

This is easy to say for someone who has little or no idea of car maintenance, but you'd think the mechanics at a top F1 team should pretty much be able to completely take apart and rebuild an F1 car in 2 hours. Maybe not completely taking apart the engine and all the smaller parts in there, but it looks like there's just the front wheel and the parts connecting that to the main body of the car to remove and replace in that pic there.

navanman

Lince said:
pro_photo1273921478.jpg

Alonso will start last from pit lane tomorrow, car damaged beyond hope for qualifying

just so much for "we need perfection this weekend" :lol

FUCK, time to make last minute change to my bets then.

navanman

moojito said:
This is easy to say for someone who has little or no idea of car maintenance, but you'd think the mechanics at a top F1 team should pretty much be able to completely take apart and rebuild an F1 car in 2 hours. Maybe not completely taking apart the engine and all the smaller parts in there, but it looks like there's just the front wheel and the parts connecting that to the main body of the car to remove and replace in that pic there.

According to Autosport, he damaged his chassis in the crash so requires a whole new car for tomorrows race.

satriales

Igo said:
Apparently I was wrong and they do still bring reserve chassis. I guess prepping it takes a while though.
I think the rule is that if you have to use a new chassis then you start the race from the pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom