• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Amir0x said:
The NES games are getting multiplayer? Like online or local?

I think just wireless local.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313687/free-3ds-nes-games-getting-multiplayer-upgrade/

"These will be 2D games. They are not 3D Classics," said Nintendo, before going on to reveal: "When the NES games become available to the general public later this year, they will include additional features such as multiplayer simultaneous play. Ambassadors will then be able to download those updated version at no cost."

Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island and Mario Vs. DK make this an incredible deal for me. The missing five are simply icing on the cake.

What I still would like to know is if Nintendo will address Wii owners who have NES titles from the VC. Are we screwed if we want to play those titles on the 3DS and they're not part of the Ambassador program?

AceBandage said:
The NES games will get multiplayer and manuals and maybe something else (not 3D).
The GBA games will likely be straight ROM dumps.

ah, fair enough. well theyre free so cant complain too much

Platy

That link said about the odds of Super Mario 3 gba mode ... wich made me think .... what are the odds of the game coming to the virtual console AND get the e-reader levels as "dlc" ?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ConradCervantes said:
Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island and Mario Vs. DK make this an incredible deal for me. The missing five are simply icing on the cake.

What I still would like to know is if Nintendo will address Wii owners who have NES titles from the VC. Are we screwed if we want to play those titles on the 3DS and they're not part of the Ambassador program?
Wii VC purchases will never carry over to the 3DS unless Nintendo really starts doing badly and needs to buy back some good will.

Amir0x

Banned
Platy said:
That link said about the odds of Super Mario 3 gba mode ... wich made me think .... what are the odds of the game coming to the virtual console AND get the e-reader levels as "dlc" ?

i would really like to play those e-reader levels. would be sweet

JPN 3DS owners can use this to confirm their ambassador status.

GOOD:
23t9j5.jpg

BAD:
98ubdx.jpg

GameE

So we will soon know if that rumor is true about the rest of the lineup stuff being shown since there's only 1 day left

Fuzzy said:
Wii VC purchases will never carry over to the 3DS unless Nintendo really starts doing badly and needs to buy back some good will.

What's horrible about that is you make it sound like all it would take is a push of a button, which it most likely is. Oh well, Nintendo can stay in the 1980s if they want to, but if they're serious about recapturing the "hardcore" marketshare, they should follow their competitors and create an all-encompassing network that links purchases made to a singular account instead of the particular piece of hardware on which it was purchased.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
i would really like to play those e-reader levels. would be sweet

That shouldn't be too difficult to implement, really -- just create the image with the extra files saved in the ROM image.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Fuzzy said:
Says the guy with a 3DS from each region?

- No sleep mode on GBA
- No Restore Points on GBA
- No Multiplayer on NES
- No ability to transfer GBA if I get a new 3DS

What's the fucking point?

Amir0x

Banned
VOOK said:

The fuck!?

oy fuckin' vey nintendo. it's like they can't do anything without actively undermining themselves. they're like Sony circa 2006 who was like Nintendo circa 2004 who was like SEGA circa 2002

BY2K

Membero Americo
VOOK said:

What? Yes you will be able to.

You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.

THIS LINK:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/systems/nintendo_3ds_ambassador_programme_44250.html

CLICK IT! READ IT!

Here!

Software details

See below for a list of game software to be made available as part of the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Programme. Please note that the Virtual Console service games attempt to recreate as accurately as possible the original behaviour of the games when they were first released. The specifications of the software therefore differ depending on the hardware of the original software.

Delivery scheduled to begin on September 1st

Virtual Console NES titles (priority delivery version)

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
and 5 more titles

Delivery scheduled to begin within the year

Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
and 5 more titles

Features of the Virtual Console NES titles (priority delivery version)

An electronic manual explaining game controls will be included.
The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will include a full electronic manual.
Alternating multiplayer modes are supported in some titles, but simultaneous multiplayer modes are not.
The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will also support versus play.
Does not include the “Restore Point” function (which allows you to create and load restore points at any time while gameplay) usually included in the Virtual Console Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.
However, it will include the “VC Suspend” function (which allows you to save the game when you suspend play by pressing the HOME Button). The official version* (which will be delivered at a later date) will support the Restore Points function.
You will be able to “Transfer to another Nintendo 3DS” with the “System Transfer” function that will be provided in future system updates.
*Official versions of the games will be launched later for a fee, but Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to upgrade from the priority delivery version to the official version free of charge.

Features of the Virtual Console Game Boy Advance titles

Manuals will be available.
Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
*Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Cautionary note on deleting accounts

If you delete your account on Nintendo eShop, you will lose your rights to the Ambassador Programme. Please exercise caution when managing your account.

VOOK

Amir0x said:
The fuck!?

oy fuckin' vey nintendo. it's like they can't do anything without actively undermining themselves. they're like Sony circa 2006 who was like Nintendo circa 2004 who was like SEGA circa 2002

From here;

Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
Neither the “Restore Point” function nor the “VC Suspend” functions are supported.
If you’re playing a game that includes a save function, you can select Save, and your data will be saved when you’ve finished playing the Game Boy Advance game.
During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.
*Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

So I was wrong on one of those things. The rest are still unforgivable.

Lord Ghirahim said:
JPN 3DS owners can use this to confirm their ambassador status.

GOOD:
23t9j5.jpg

BAD:
98ubdx.jpg
Thank you. I'm wondering, why they didn't inform users about this via a system message. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for me. Yay for 20 games I already played \o/ !!!

DDayton

VOOK said:

Did I misread something? I thought the UK press release said that the GBA titles would transfer...

Edit: Yes, yes it did.

Tyeforce

VOOK said:
- No sleep mode on GBA
- No Multiplayer on NES

You CAN transfer the GBA games to a new 3DS.

The lack of Sleep Mode, Restore Points, and multiplayer is kinda lame, but is it really going to stop you from enjoying 10 free games? Personally, I'm super excited. And who knows, maybe they will end up selling the GBA games on eShop in the future, in which case I'd assume they'd get the same treatment that the NES games will get.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Besides, if Nintendo ever starts releasing GBA games on the 3DS VC, all the normal VC functions should be available then.

Still... ugh...

VOOK said:
From here;

So I was wrong on one of those things. The rest are still unforgivable.

It's a rough beta. As much as we all know Nintendo's probably not going to implement these things in the actual thing anyway, you might just be jumping the gun here.

Amir0x

Banned
BY2K said:
Besides, if Nintendo ever starts releasing GBA games on the 3DS VC, all the normal VC functions should be available then.

Still... ugh...

which by Nintendo time means we'll only be waiting 3 or 4 years for that, and then once they get the GBA games up on the service it'll only take another 6 years for them to have all 10 of the original games up on the service for sale

If they included the first Advance Wars as one of the GBA games I would die. Much better than Fire Emblem imo (although that is a great series).

Yeah, no restore points on GBA games is like E3 2008 levels of retarded. I'm grateful for the games, but they should take advantage of the new hardware, especially with no concrete release date for the games.

Transferring is in, so you bet your ass I'll be grabbing a holiday bundle come November. And the inevitable 3DS XL. Goddamn I'm such a whore for Nintendo portables.

Amir0x

Banned
DUFFMCWALIN said:
If they included the first Advance Wars as one of the GBA games I would die. Much better than Fire Emblem imo (although that is a great series).

god that would be an amazing choice for them

although, I'd certainly take Fire Emblem. I like Fire Emblem a little more than AW

VOOK

butter_stick said:
You should demand a refund.

At this point, I think I'm just going to give up on Nintendo - all of it.

Amir0x said:

although, I'd certainly take Fire Emblem. I like Fire Emblem a little more than AW

What's the point of Advance Wars without multiplayer?

Amir0x said:

Either game would make me very happy. Those two series are a few of the reasons why I still consider the GBA to be Nintendo's best handheld to date.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I can't wait until we're able to download the updated NES titles and it erases our save data. We all know it'll happen.

VOOK

Amir0x said:
well only do that after the greatest 3D Zelda of all time releases this Winter.

You mean 'before the end of 2011'. I don't think even Nintendo knows.

To be honestly, at this stage - I don't give two shits about Skyward Sword.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Interesting point: the reason why the GBA games don't support certain things, including I *sleep mode when closing the lid* is because they may not be emulated. Base DS hardware had GBA support even if the slot was removed for DSi.

GBA games did not allow the DS to enter sleep mode when closing the lid. They didn't have that function programmed in.

This sure sounds like the 3DS has the hardware inside to play GBA games native or partially native, due to its DS compatibility. And it's placing similar restrictions on playing a GBA game as it did playing a GBA game on the DS.

Personally, it's not a horrible deal I feel, since unlike NES games GBA games almost all have save support and newer GBA games actually DO HAVE sleep mode. Some of the games in this list have sleep mode inside their own menus. (Didn't Metroid: Fusion have it?)

Amir0x said:
The fuck!?

This need to be posted in time square.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Fuzzy said:
I can't wait until we're able to download the updated NES titles and it erases our save data. We all know it'll happen.

I hate to say it but... does it matter? They're NES games.

Even Zelda can be beaten in a few hours from scratch.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
VOOK said:
Based on a bunch of old games. That are also free. Watch everyone care!

watershed

Banned
Alright, deadlines passed and I'm excited for my free games. Now Nintendo tell us what the other 10 are as I imagine my 3ds menu getting even more packed.

VOOK said:
That's probably a better option than raging on the Internet that the 10 free games you're getting don't have a save state option.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
that would be an amazing choice for them

I'm assuming the 10 GBA titles will be chosen by NCL, and I'm also assuming they'll be chosen to represent a wide spread of genres and series...

Metroid Fusion, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario vs. DK, Yoshi's Island, Wario Ware, and (presumably) SMA4:SMB3. The only "main" franchises/genres not represented are

* Advance Wars
* Fire Emblem
* Bit Generations /Art Style
* Custom Robo
* DK King of Swing
* Game & Watch Gallery 4
* Golden Sun
* Starfy
* Kirby (didn't we get Mirror confirmed?)
* Mario & Luigi
* Wario Land 4
* Rhythm Heaven
* Kuro Kuro Kuro

Of those, if I had to guess, I'd think it would be something like...
1) Advance Wars -or- Fire Emblem
2) Mario & Luigi -or- Golden Sun
3) Game & Watch Gallery 4
4) Wario Land 4
5) Kirby (if that's the fifth unconfirmed).

I am curious if there's a chance Japan will get different titles than the rest of the world. I can't see any Art Style titles here, due to the lack of localization, but...

Amir0x

Banned
VOOK said:
To be honestly, at this stage - I don't give two shits about Skyward Sword.

you...you don't mean that, VOOK. You don't mean it when you come off like that, face reddened and scorn all written on the creases of your skin. You can't go around sayin' stuff like this, all spit and venom and no drive. It ain't about you, VOOK. it's about the game. It's a destiny, is all. I'm saying if it comes to it, a mans gotta play a Skyward Sword to feel complete. Yeah, a man could die happy then. A man could die happy...

VOOK

butter_stick said:
That's probably a better option than raging on the Internet that the 10 free games you're getting don't have a save state option.

jooey said:
Based on a bunch of old games. That are also free. Watch everyone care!

Straw, meet the camels back.

In other news;

Nintendo Australia are extending the Ambassador Program, but you'll need to download a form off their site and send it in or something. More as I have it.

Amir0x said:
you...you don't mean that, VOOK. You don't mean it when you come off like that, face reddened and scorn all written on the creases of your skin. You can't go around sayin' stuff like this, all spit and venom and no drive. It ain't about you, VOOK. it's about the game. It's a destiny, is all. I'm saying if it comes to it, a mans gotta play a Skyward Sword to feel complete. Yeah, a man could die happy then. A man could die happy...

Can I just listen to the soundtrack?

Boney

Banned
I'm in the advance wars camp.

Fire emblem has awful leveling up that leads to frustration and cheap deaths and the game isn't balanced to get your older units to replace the dead ones well.

Amir0x

Banned
fire emblem is the bizzity bomb because if you want to get through the game with all your men alive on hard that shit takes real man strategizin' skills, none of that pussy shiznizzle.

Unicorn

Amir0x said:
Now, like I always say, DK '94 is one of the only Gameboy games that holds up at all. Which is to say, it's LITERALLY one of like only four or five even halfway decent Gameboy games. But it's no Mario vs. Donkey Kong, sorry
Kirby Dreamland 2, Kirby Star Stacker, Dragon Warrior Monsters 1&2, Wario Land 3, Pokemon TCG...

What am I forgetting?
VOOK said:

What's the point of Advance Wars without multiplayer?
Local MP was perfect. Passing the GBA(/3DS) around is perfectly fine.

Also, the GBA games still keep your savefiles, there's just no savestate a la emulator/roms

Amir0x

Banned
Unicorn said:
Kirby Dreamland 2, Kirby Star Stacker, Dragon Warrior Monsters 1&2, Wario Land 3, Pokemon TCG...

What am I forgetting?

I was just going to say Tetris, Donkey Kong '94, Link's Awakening the Oracle games and a few other puzzle games that can be considered actually good. There are maybe a handful more in the decent category that one would buy for 99 cents or something at a yard sale just to own 'em

Unicorn said:
Local MP was perfect. Passing the GBA(/3DS) around is perfectly fine.

Maybe back in 1992. Year's 2011.

VOOK said:
Can I just listen to the soundtrack?

You know you gonna play the damned thing. It's part of you.

Top Bottom