• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

The Mana Legend said:
So weren't they supposed to announce all 10 NES games by now? I don't really have faith that they'll have released the entire list in the new 5 hours.
Why should they? The NES games aren't hitting until Sept. 1

Roto13

That's not much of a source. That's like when that CS email went out thinking Mario Advance 3 was Super Mario Bros. 3, and that WarioWare and Mega Microgames were two different games.

MrDaravon

I still hope at least Kirby is true because that would be awesome for me and my wife. I think a Kirby game (there was what, two on GBA?) is probably fairly likely, but I'm doubtful we'll get another "core" Mario game in there since they've already got Yoshi's Island and Mario vs DK in there. Would love to be wrong though.

I have a JPN 3DS since launch, but didn't get that message yet. I don't hope Nintendo is screwing over people who imported their devices :/.

Woooo!

Took the plunge and bought it straight out at $250 with Zelda at BestBuy. Playing this thing makes me feel like a kid again. Zelda is wonderful, and in 3D is just all kinds of delicious.

Went online with it to the eshop and got my message I was an Ambassador right after.
Will do the price guarantee tomorrow for complete awesome, WOOOO!

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
Less than an hour to go to get on the shop.

Yep, though you'd probably be able to contact Nintendo after the deadline if you bought before, since they can probably check the sale date of the 3DS you have.

Did my updates, downloaded Netflix and the other free apps, checked out Pitch Black on Netflix (okay quality to me; tons better than GBA video, at least), put in Nyko battery, and put it back in the box. Playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn on DSi now. Hoping they put Golden Sun 1 and 2 as two of the free GBA games. :lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
As long as A Link to the Past or Minish Cap is one of the GBA games, I'll be happy. I would be ecstatic if they included both, but for the sake of everyone, I would rather there be ten separate franchises represented. (C'mon Fire Embem!)

Also, if Super Mario Bros. 3 appears in any form, it better one of the NES games. There's no reason for it to take up one of the GBA games.

jaydogg691 said:
HEY!!! I just bought a 3DS. How do I become an Ambassador? Do I have to update first?
Go on the Nintendo E-shop channel before 11:59 PM ET which is like 36 minutes away. Under news, there should be a label mentioning the ambassador program. Your pretty much safe as long as you sign in before 11:59 PM ET.

jaydogg691 said:
HEY!!! I just bought a 3DS. How do I become an Ambassador? Do I have to update first?
Yes, you have to connect to the e-Store from your 3DS before midnight tonight Pacific Time (you have 3 1/2 hours). That means you have to download any updates needed first.

Amir0x

Banned
god I hope they announce we're getting the GBA games sooner rather than later. i am so tired of replaying NES titles that don't hold up anymore, I just want my Mariovs.DK :(

I bet they'll torture me jus' cause I said this and the GBA titles are going to release on December 31, 2011 now.

Dreamwriter said:
Yes, you have to connect to the e-Store from your 3DS before midnight tonight Pacific Time (you have 3 1/2 hours). That means you have to download any updates needed first.
It's actually only until 11:59 Eastern Timing which means time is almost up.

Amir0x said:
god I hope they announce we're getting the GBA games sooner rather than later. i am so tired of replaying NES titles that don't hold up anymore, I just want my Mariovs.DK :(

I bet they'll torture me jus' cause I said this and the GBA titles are going to release on December 31, 2011 now.
Actually, October seems like a good time.
Before Mario and MK7.

qq more

Amir0x said:

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amir0x said:

Nah, Nintendo is going to play Santa Claus and give us the GBA games on Christmas morning.

Amir0x said:

Have you tried Donkey Kong '94 Gameboy on the Virtual Console? It's the first game in the Mario vs DK series.

As for when we get the GBA games, I'd bet they still have yet to write the emulator, which is why we get such a vague release date.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
Actually, October seems like a good time.
Before Mario and MK7.

ever the warrantless faith trooper. With Nintendo, always consider the worst. In this case, it's more likely they'd want to release it after Mario and MK7 ;)

Dreamwriter said:
Have you tried Donkey Kong '94 Gameboy on the Virtual Console? It's the first game in the Mario vs DK series.

As for when we get the GBA games, I'd bet they still have yet to write the emulator, which is why we get such a vague release date.

I have it but Donkey Kong '94 is no Mario vs. DK in terms of quality, and also it's B&W and well my standards have evolved - thus the lack of excitement for the NES titles too. My standards are so far beyond most of those types of titles at this point. So I wait :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amir0x said:
ever the warrantless faith trooper. With Nintendo, always consider the worst. In this case, it's more likely they'd want to release it after Mario and MK7 ;)
It would be funny if giving all of these free games causes people to not buy the big holiday games.

Javier

jaydogg691 said:
Alright, I connected. How do I know if I'm an ambassador.
Do a system update, go inside the eShop, and you should be done. Check the News section IN the eShop to make sure you have the Ambassador notice. 26 minutes left, hurry!

Amir0x said:
I have it but Donkey Kong '94 is no Mario vs. DK in terms of quality, and also it's B&W and well my standards have evolved - thus the lack of excitement for the NES titles too. My standards are so far beyond most of those types of titles at this point. So I wait :(
I wouldn't call that standards but preferences. For me, if the gameplay is high quality, I don't need graphics to be super modern 3D. In fact, I prefer hand-drawn 2D art, which is rare these days even in games with 2D gameplay, but 99% of what we got on NES, GB, GBC.

Amir0x

Banned
I absolutely adore hand drawn 2D art too - but not the archaic 2D blobs that make up the NES/GB era of visuals. Mostly ugly stuff all around. But DK '94 would have been tolerable, perhaps, were its awful hand drawn stuff not compounded by the black and whiteness of it all.

im just happy were getting metroid fusion. aside from metroid 2, thats the only one im missing out on

will there by a 3D upgrade to the gba ambassador games later down the road? or are these just straight VC ports?

effingvic said:
im just happy were getting metroid fusion. aside from metroid 2, thats the only one im missing out on

will there by a 3D upgrade to that game later down the road? or are these just straight VC ports?

The NES games will get multiplayer and manuals and maybe something else (not 3D).
The GBA games will likely be straight ROM dumps.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
I have it but Donkey Kong '94 is no Mario vs. DK in terms of quality

???

Donkey Kong Game Boy / 94 wipes the floor with MvDK. Whatever are you talking about as far as "quality"? The gameplay, level design, music, and art are leagues better in DK94... the only advantage MvDK has, at all, is that it's in color.

Amir0x

Banned
AceBandage said:
The NES games will get multiplayer and manuals and maybe something else (not 3D).
The GBA games will likely be straight ROM dumps.

The NES games are getting multiplayer? Like online or local?

DavidDayton said:
???

Donkey Kong Game Boy / 94 wipes the floor with MvDK. Whatever are you talking about as far as "quality"? The gameplay, level design, music, and art are leagues better in DK94... the only advantage MvDK has, at all, is that it's in color.

Hahaha sorry this is absurdly false. Mario vs. Donkey Kong is as always the elegant refinement of a formula allowed by the more modern sensibilities of an industry with a firmer grasp on the fundamentals - it has better and more complex mechanics, infinitely more intriguing level layouts, far more content, a superior difficulty curve, more variety and immeasurably tighter controls. I don't even need to get to the visuals/audio part to conclude which is better.

But, as always, your mileage may vary - I'm so past making excuses for the deficiencies of past games viewed through the lenses of bygone eras. That's just not who I am.

Now, like I always say, DK '94 is one of the only Gameboy games that holds up at all. Which is to say, it's LITERALLY one of like only four or five even halfway decent Gameboy games. But it's no Mario vs. Donkey Kong, sorry

Top Bottom