• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Ooo, I didn't remember that Nintendo published Kuru Kuru Kururin - that was the GBA launch title I played the most, I'd love to play that again.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
fire emblem is the bizzity bomb because if you want to get through the game with all your men alive on hard that shit takes real man strategizin' skills, none of that pussy shiznizzle.
You can't strategize dem damn critical hits.

fuck those.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
You can't strategize dem damn critical hits.

fuck those.

yeah but the game knows this and likes to show you how awesome that shit is by making the animations sizzle like fuckin' fireworks on the bicentennial of some great nation

animations all god-like

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
yeah but the game knows this and likes to show you how awesome that shit is by making the animations sizzle like fuckin' fireworks on the bicentennial of some great nation
too bad about those 3d games..

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dreamwriter said:
Ooo, I didn't remember that Nintendo published Kuru Kuru Kururin - that was the GBA launch title I played the most, I'd love to play that again.

That's unique enough to see release, and there was an English version...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Amir0x said:
You know you gonna play the damned thing. It's part of you.

I know I will, just at the moment - I'm not feeling hyped for it at all.

When someone mentions it, it's like 'Oh yeah that's coming out'.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
too bad about those 3d games..

why you gotta bring a man down when he be reminiscing about some good times? Pourin' cold water in his soup an' shit. shit ain't right Boney. Shit ain't right...

Unicorn

Amir0x said:
I was just going to say Tetris, Donkey Kong '94, Link's Awakening the Oracle games and a few other puzzle games that can be considered actually good. There are maybe a handful more in the decent category that one would buy for 99 cents or something at a yard sale just to own 'em

Maybe back in 1992. Year's 2011.

You know you gonna play the damned thing. It's part of you.
Tetris was outdone by the DS iteration, IMO. I never played Awakening or the Oracle games; am I missing out? If you haven't played it, I highly recommend Star Stacker.

As for the Advanced Wars comment, It's hard enough to convince my friends to buy a 3DS and play with me, let alone get them to purchase VC release of AW (granted if it is indeed re-released). At the time the GBA came out, that was a cool selling point that We could play the game on one system, and even today I think that one system multiplayer can work and be a great feature. Though, it really only works in a game like Advanced Wars.

Amir0x

Banned
how can it be? literally every bullet point is what I have been asking for of an evolved 3D Zelda since Ocarina of Time. It's like Nintendo read a print out from my mind and developed from it.

If it fails it would be because the print out in my mind jus' weren't no good, and then whose fault is that? Can't be disappointed in getting what a man wants. And a man wants Skyward Sword.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
VOOK said:
I know I will, just at the moment - I'm not feeling hyped for it at all.

When someone mentions it, it's like 'Oh yeah that's coming out'.
You're not the only one. I've had it pre-ordered since E3 2010 and I doubt I'll play it before the end of the year even if it's released in November.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
how can it be? literally every bullet point is what I have been asking for of an evolved 3D Zelda since Ocarina of Time. It's like Nintendo read a print out from my mind and developed from it.

If it fails it would be because the print out in my mind jus' weren't no good, and then whose fault is that? Can't be disappointed in getting what a man wants. And a man wants Skyward Sword.

Note to self: If Skyward Sword disappoints, blame Amir0x.

Amir0x

Banned
Unicorn said:
Tetris was outdone by the DS iteration, IMO. I never played Awakening or the Oracle games; am I missing out? If you haven't played it, I highly recommend Star Stacker.

With Link's Awakening, absolutely. It is the -only- Gameboy game that I say rightly holds up with the best on any platform. With Oracle games, at some point sure... but it's not a rush.

Tetris GB > Tetris DS because no infinite spin.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
With Link's Awakening, absolutely. It is the -only- Gameboy game that I say rightly holds up with the best on any platform. With Oracle games, at some point sure... but it's not a rush.

Tetris GB > Tetris DS because no infinite spin.

I want a new Tetris that plays "like" classic Game Boy Tetris -- original or DX. The modern Tetris games all seem wimpified

BurntPork

Banned
*comes in*

*sees post about ditching Nintendo over free games*

Walk_n_Walk_out.gif

Amir0x

Banned
DavidDayton said:
I want a new Tetris that plays "like" classic Game Boy Tetris -- original or DX. The modern Tetris games all seem wimpified

I liked the presentation of Tetris DS, if they could combine that with no infinite spin Tetris I'd go to town. Nothing like playing Tetris with the hair-on-chest rules, clearing lines at the highest speed the game goes up to like some automaton, fingers blurring, leaving little trails in the air.

BurntPork

Banned
Amir0x said:

... But what if it's easy?

nckillthegrimace said:
It's not like it's very hard to be the best 3D Zelda game. They're all deficient in some way.
Every game is deficient in some way.

Roto13

Amir0x said:
The fuck!?

oy fuckin' vey nintendo. it's like they can't do anything without actively undermining themselves. they're like Sony circa 2006 who was like Nintendo circa 2004 who was like SEGA circa 2002
They're GBA games. They're already designed to be played on the go. They have their own quicksave features and frequent save points. It's like why there are no save states in N64 games on the Virtual Console. Those games save anyway.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
I liked the presentation of Tetris DS, if they could combine that with no infinite spin Tetris I'd go to town. Nothing like playing Tetris with the hair-on-chest rules, clearing lines at the highest speed the game goes up to like some automaton, fingers blurring, leaving little trails in the air.

Yeah, Tetris DS was good, but the silly infinite spin messed it up.

Actually, there was another problem (and I assume this is tied to TTC's new rules and infinite floor spin) -- the falling speed of the pieces increased too quickly and in far too dramatic steps. "Instant dropping" of Tetris pieces strikes me as, well, inane, and a mechanic that only works if the game design shifts from being TETRIS and into whatever the silly "infinite floor spin" game is called.

Tetris DS ceased being fun once you were -forced- to used floor spin. In multiplayer it was essentially not an issue, fortunately.

Mailenstein said:
Thank you. I'm wondering, why they didn't inform users about this via a system message. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for me. Yay for 20 games I already played \o/ !!!

I don't know, it's not like it would have broken the bandwidth piggy bank. At least it's a confirmation.

BurntPork said:
*comes in*

*sees post about ditching Nintendo over free games*

*sees BurntPork is a member now*

6G7NF.gif

Anth0ny

Amir0x said:

If you're playing against someone it's not really a factor, cause in those couple of seconds that you're infinite spinning, your opponent is dropping 4 lines of grey blocks on your ass.

Man Tetris DS was fun as hell. Me and my friends really got into it for a while... pretty high level play too.

Since Arika is already established on the 3DS doing those 3D classics games, I would absolutely kill for a 3DS version of TGM Tetris. Too bad The Tetris Company is afraid of it and would never let it happen.

Amir0x

Banned
well, it will be easy. But easiness is relative. In the Zelda franchise, no one expects brutal difficulty. They expect to be able to reasonably die a few times at bosses and to get stumped on puzzles once in a while, however, and to have dungeons that are open and explorable in a way that is less linear than free form. Be able to hold more than one key at a time and shit.

From what I can tell, Skyward Sword is the ideal. You'll be constantly returning to old dungeons with your new items to advance and find secrets and advance the story, something that is essentially unheard of in most Zelda games, but especially in 3D Zelda games. In modern Zelda when you find a tool in the same dungeon you get it, you use that tool for most of that dungeon and then you're finished and never return except maybe to find a skulluta. This is more like a Metroid structure, where you're trying to actually remember where things are when you can't currently access them. Making mental notes for exploration is a key missing component of modern Zelda, and has seemingly reappeared in Skyward Sword.

I'm also immensely excited about the possibilities motion+ brings to puzzle design in Zelda games. Zack&Wiki hinted at the possibilities a puzzle-based game can have utilizing motion controls; it's one of the few genuinely good motion control gameplay concepts. A game focusing on puzzles and dungeon design like Zelda would benefit dramatically from such a thing, and from what we've heard this Nintendo has utilized the tech to its fullest measure when designing the puzzles.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
From what I can tell, Skyward Sword is the ideal. You'll be constantly returning to old dungeons with your new items to advance and find secrets and advance the story, something that is essentially unheard of in most Zelda games, but especially in 3D Zelda games.

Careful... that almost sounds like how they described Phantom Hourglass before it was released.

watershed

Banned
BurntPork said:
That's because they were waggling. The people who were playing it properly blazed through it.
I'm pretty sure very few people actually finished the demo. In the Skyward Sword comicon interview/demo playtrough Bill Trinen said they were demoing sections most people didn't reach.

I understand how Vook's feels about this. That is not your classic "bitching about freebies" at all. I mean c'mon, Nintendo was always a synonym for quality at least for me. So now, to see them dishing out freebies which are beta status at best and don't support simple system features, is pretty much a joke. I don't see myself playing through one of these GBA games in one go, just because sleep mode is not supported. Seriously Nintendo, step up your game or just give us stuff from the e-shop which is actually v1.0. smh...

Amir0x

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Careful... that almost sounds like how they described Phantom Hourglass before it was released.

haha, naw it's not like one central dungeon or something where you have to tediously repeat puzzles. Puzzles stay done, you just remember a door or something that you can access now and bee line to it. And you do this for all the dungeons, not just one of them.

And actually, dungeons are probably poor descriptor now - there are dungeons within dungeons, which are in overworlds that act like dungeons. It's very fluid and far more connected.

BurntPork

Banned
DavidDayton said:
And the tears of light think actually sounds less like TP and more like Spirit Tracks as well...

BurntPork said:
... But what if it's easy?

People love Okami and Beyond Good and Evil, two inferior Zelda clones, and those games are ridiculously easy. Wind Waker gets a lot of praise, too, and it is by far the easiest game in the series. Forget challenging puzzles and combat, people want stupid bullshit like immersion and cinematic presentation.

Anth0ny

artwalknoon said:
I'm pretty sure very few people actually finished the demo. In the Skyward Sword comicon interview/demo playtrough Bill Trinen said they were demoing sections most people didn't reach.

I know someone actually did a speedrun and got through the demo before the timer expired. But besides him... I haven't heard of anyone getting through the entire demo.

Mailenstein said:
I understand how Vook's feels about this. That is not your classic "bitching about freebies" at all. I mean c'mon, Nintendo was always a synonym for quality at least for me. So now, to see them dishing out freebies which are beta status at best and don't support simple system features, is pretty much a joke. I don't see myself playing through one of these GBA games in one go, just because sleep mode is not supported. Seriously Nintendo, step up your game or just give us stuff from the e-shop which is actually v1.0. smh...

Prediction: It'll be just like the NES games where the beta GBA games will be upgraded for free when they start selling them normally; they just don't want to mention that because who the hell is going to buy Alleyway and Radar Mission when GBA games are on the horizon?

Unicorn

Amir0x said:
I'm also immensely excited about the possibilities motion+ brings to puzzle design in Zelda games. Zack&Wiki hinted at the possibilities a puzzle-based game can have utilizing motion controls; it's one of the few genuinely good motion control gameplay concepts. A game focusing on puzzles and dungeon design like Zelda would benefit dramatically from such a thing, and from what we've heard this Nintendo has utilized the tech to its fullest measure when designing the puzzles.
Zack & Wiki was amazing. Way ahead of the pack.
Mailenstein said:
The GBA games still save like they used to. You won't need to beat them in one go...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
nckillthegrimace said:
Prediction: It'll be just like the NES games where the beta GBA games will be upgraded for free when they start selling them normally; they just don't want to mention that because who the hell is going to buy Alleyway and Radar Mission when GBA games are on the horizon?
I'll not have you sully Alleyway's good name, sir.

DDayton

Amir0x said:
haha, naw it's not like one central dungeon or something where you have to tediously repeat puzzles. Puzzles stay done, you just remember a door or something that you can access now and bee line to it. And you do this for all the dungeons, not just one of them.
And actually, dungeons are probably poor descriptor now - there are dungeons within dungeons, which are in overworlds that act like dungeons. It's very fluid and far more connected.

Oh, I have high hopes for this one -- but, unlike many other GAFfers, I liked Twilight Princess, and really see no reason to assume the new game won't be fun. The two DS games were disappointing, and I never got into Minish Cap (it just felt ... odd), but everything we've been hearing about Skyward Sword sounds promising.

So, back on topic, is there any reason for us NOT to assume Minish Cap will be one of the GBA titles? They really should have a Zelda game in the batch, and releasing LTTP makes little sense (especially with the multiplayer mode being ripped out and put on DSiWare).

Erekiddo

Did I just have to sign onto the eShop before tonight to be eligible? Or did I have to register my 3DS?

I signed on when the eShop launched, but I did not register yet. :( I did not get an Ambassador message when I logged on tonight.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

yeah but the tightrope and rope-swinging controls. :(

BocoDragon said:
I'll not have you sully Alleyway's good name, sir.

Fine. Pac-Man then. That's on the European VC, I think. And it's like $6 as opposed to Alleyway's $3. Who's going to buy that over games that are actually good like Yoshi's Island and Mario & Luigi? Answer: someone who has no choice.

Amir0x said:

What about the Siren World?

DDayton

Did they remove the Ambassador Program news from the eShop?

I ask as I know it was there yesterday, but I'm not seeing it when I logged in this evening.

Unicorn

nckillthegrimace said:
Fine. Pac-Man then. That's on the European VC, I think. And it's like $6 as opposed to Alleyway's $3. Who's going to buy that over games that are actually good like Yoshi's Island and Mario & Luigi? Answer: someone who has no choice.
When are they going to release Pacman CE DX 3D?

DavidDayton said:

I ask as I know it was there yesterday, but I'm not seeing it when I logged in this evening.

Yup, they removed it before the non ambassadors could see it.

bluemax

Banned
Amir0x said:
fire emblem is the bizzity bomb because if you want to get through the game with all your men alive on hard that shit takes real man strategizin' skills, none of that pussy shiznizzle.

Fire Emblem isn't a strategy game. Its a puzzle game with predetermined outcomes.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DavidDayton said:

I thought it was only a spotpass notification? I could see them removing a message because that this point you either have it or you don't. What a taunt that message would be to non-ambassadors.

steveovig

I've logged into the eshop a million times since buying the 3DS in June and I'm not really sure if I'm officially an Ambassador. I checked the news section and I don't see anything and I checked the Notifications and see nothing. I've bought several games since June too. I know one thing is for sure, if I'm not an Ambassador I'll be royally pissed.

DDayton

AceBandage said:
Yup, they removed it before the non ambassadors could see it.

I just thought I'd check. I wasn't worried, as I've logged into the eShop so many times, but I was curious as I'd been assuming the eShop program was saving news messages on the system.

Mailenstein said:
I don't see myself playing through one of these GBA games in one go, just because sleep mode is not supported. Seriously Nintendo, step up your game or just give us stuff from the e-shop which is actually v1.0. smh...
I don't get it - as someone already mentioned, these are portable games. They were already designed to be pick-up-and-play games, with plenty of save options, as well as built-in sleep modes, often designed to go to sleep when the GBA SP cover was closed (which means they would go to sleep in this case when the 3DS cover is closed). Heck, that's probably one of the reasons for the lack of a 3DS Sleep Mode with these games - a double Sleep Mode would probably confuse games and cause emulation issues.

Top Bottom