• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

miksar

- These versions sound like beta emulated versions. There will be no digital manuals included, and while you can switch the controls from player 1 to player 2 for certain games which allow for such play, there will be no cross system multiplayer supported at all.
This is an interesting way for me to find out there is a 'manual' button underneath each icon in the 3DS main menu.

MoogPaul

Fine with this considering Nintendo could have taken a "tough titties" approach. I've enjoyed my 3DS thus far and will enjoy 20 free games.

SalsaShark said:
this

you cant be OMG SUPER FURIOUSSSSSS at something if you paid what you thought was right for it and didnt returned it/sold it (wich means you enjoyed it).

any anger that comes from that is just jealousy over other people getting it cheaper really :/

Of course it is. I bought it thinking the price wouldn't drop for a year or so and there were games I wanted. I could have easily waited until this drop.

I mean, electronics ALWAYS eventually drop, you just don't expect them to do it this soon.

I'm angry at the fact I could have saved $80, the games are a nice touch ... but I'm still pretty irritated that the drop came this fast.

It's all my fault, I don't blame anybody but myself. But even with those games (while good) I've already played 90% of them. They'll be like the free PSN games for outages, I'll download and say thank you and play once.

Futureman

WHOA I was getting all confused thinking that Yoshi's Island was the DS knockoff version.

But this is the GBA version, so it's the SNES games!!

Is there anything different between the SNES and GBA titles?

Bought at launch for £207 with Pilotwings and.....

I ain't even mad!

Seemed good value then, have 250 hrs playtime out of the machine and with these free games on top of the existing free software on top of the forthcoming free Zelda: Four Swords the value has just increased tremendously.
Good luck Nintendo! I really hope they can pull this around

Raw64life

If I didn't get Pilotwings, Zelda and pre-order Star Fox for about $25 combined I'd be a lot more pissed at this news, but I still think it sucks that you can't just get a free 3DS game instead. I really have no interest in the VC games as I've already played the ones I'd ever consider buying plenty of times.

krumble

miksar said:
This is an interesting way for me to find out there is a 'manual' button underneath each icon in the 3DS main menu.

Same here... wasn't aware of that, don't usually need manuals much.. but handy

m.i.s.

Banned
Raw64life said:
If I didn't get Pilotwings, Zelda and pre-order Star Fox for about $25 combined I'd be a lot more pissed at this news, but I still think it sucks that you can't just get a free 3DS game instead. I really have no interest in the VC games as I've already played the ones I'd ever consider buying plenty of times.

I feel the same way.

I've got an GBA SP+ with all those games. Even if I didn't, no way am I going to bother playing 240x160 resolution games letterboxed onto a 400x240 display. NES sounds more interesting but I've already done the VC thing on Wii.

Plus, many 3DS games are just collecting dust on store shelves anyway. :eek:)

I think Zero Mission would be a better game to give away than Fusion, although Fusion is probably more hardcore - and the early adopters are more likely to be dyed in the wool Nintendo fans who've played both anyway. I just think it's a more logical entry point into the series for anyone who hasn't played it.

AceBandage said:
I had missed this part:

Interesting.
I wonder what exactly they will update on them.

Gravijah said:
Manuals and multiplayer? ;p

That and they'll probably be some minor emulation glitches as well that will be fixed with the final versions.

radioheadrule83 said:
I think Zero Mission would be a better game to give away than Fusion, although Fusion is probably more hardcore - and the early adopters are more likely to be dyed in the wool Nintendo fans who've played both anyway. I just think it's a more logical entry point into the series for anyone who hasn't played it.

If they release Metroid NES as one of the free games as I suspect, they'll be a lot of people pissed off at the fact that they'd be getting the same game twice (by that I mean the unlockable NES version of Metroid from within Zero Mission)

Gravijah

friskykillface said:
Would have been the biggest :O :D D: if Earthbound was included.

Either way, heh I'll take, can't complain about free stuff.

There are no SNES games and Earthbound will not be included.

Milchmonster said:
Is this for Europe, too?

If so, I'm considering buying one.

Yes. Not sure how it works in Europe, but you could pick one up a few days before, get the 20 free games, and if the store you bought it from has a form of price protection, you could get the difference back.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What does "for those that registered before.." mean? How do I register my 3DS? Simply going online?

Tadale

I think this is great. If the rest of those GBA games are as quality as the first five, then I was going to buy them all, anyway. I expect Nintendo would want to charge at least $8 each for them, so there's $80 right there.

Gravijah

butts said:
Is this confirmed? I dont think I ever registered my hardware on nintendo.com...

Press release points towards only having to access the eShop. Next few days should give more information, hopefully.

TyRaNtM said:
They can even translate them if they want, but of course is very unlikely.

Closer to 0% than 1%.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GBA selections are decent. But Nintendo could do more for those that bought a 3DS before the drop and have had to deal with crap selection of games for a while now, IMO.

GSR

Shit, better go register my 3DS. Damn nice of them to do this rather than leave early buyers out in the cold, though. Just hoping the GBA selection widens a bit.

Emitan

Nintendo, we all know you're going to sell GBA games at some point so stop bullshitting me and put Fire Emblem 7 and 8 up there so I can buy them at some point.

So for the $70 I spent at launch I'm getting 20 free downloadable games? I think I'm ok with this. I play my 3DS enough that I didn't feel bad about getting it in the first place.

To further back up the point that nobody should be worried about space; don't be. The average GBA game is 4MB or 8MB. The average VC version NES game is <3MB. The 20 games combined should be under 100MB unless they sneak in a particularly large cart...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would be happier with like 2 voucher codes for upcoming 3DS games (or even regular DS games).

I don't want to go back and play old games...

Luigiv

This works out incredibly well for me. I already bought my 3DS heavily discounted and of the 10 currently revealed games I only own The Legend of Zelda and Metroid Fusion. Yoshi's Island is a big deal too (I've been waiting for a digital release forever now).

Wichu

Aww yeah. Bought my 3DS for £175 at launch, so I was disappointed when I heard about the price drop. But I think the free games will make it worthwhile (added to the fact that the main reason I bought it early was to replace my broken DS Lite).
I can't find my GBA cartridge of Yoshi's Island, so a 3DS port will help scratch that itch. I haven't played the original Super Mario Bros. yet (I'm too young; my first console was a N64), so that will be new to me (as well as the other NES games).
GBA wishlist:
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Golden Sun (either one)
Zelda LTTP (already have TMC)
Drill Dozer
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Mother 3
:(
Pokémon would be nice, but I already own Sapphire/LeafGreen/Emerald. Pokémon Pinball/Mystery Dungeon, on the other hand... My brother has Pinball, and it's actually pretty fun (he's ridiculously good at it; his on-going score is about 30 billion), and I want another go at MD (didn't get into it).

Maxrunner

So how does this work for Europeans???i bought mine at 250€ too....but i actually gave my old Dslite and got 80€ from it....

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
brucewaynegretzky said:
So for the $70 I spent at launch I'm getting 20 free downloadable games? I think I'm ok with this. I play my 3DS enough that I didn't feel bad about getting it in the first place.

Same here. I've put a ton of hours into Zelda, Pilotwings, and SSFIV.

Guys... here is a great idea!

1. Buy a 3DS a couple of days before the price drop and keep the receipt.
  2. Register the system that same day and access the eShop and do everything to get the free 20 games.
  3. Return to the store after the price drop with the receipt to get back the price difference.

Instant win!

Top Bottom