• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Portugeezer

Fernando Rocker said:
Guys... here is a great idea!

1. Buy a 3DS a couple of days before the price drop and keep the receipt.
  2. Register the system that same day and access the eShop and do everything to get the free 20 games.
  3. Return to the store after the price drop with the receipt to get back the price difference.

Instant win!
Sounds good to me.

Roto13

Every time there's a price drop, early adopters bitch and complain and demand free stuff. This is the first time free stuff has actually been offered to the early adopters. That's awesome.

Of course, there are still people who are bitching about it, but some people bitch about everything, so whatever. If they released two 3DS bundles, a $170 one with no games and a $250 one with 10 NES and 10 GBA games, I'd buy the second bundle anyway. (And yes, I know the first one isn't a bundle, shut up, it's early.)

The GBA version of Yoshi's Island looks and sounds disgusting. This does not make up for them failing to release the real version on the Wii VC one bit.

Myansie

Great to be getting these games as freebies, but I'm disappointed they aren't 3D Classics titles.

Of all the games I was looking forward to it was Yoshi's Island in 3D. I was looking forward to that as much as Super Mario 3D Land.

Roto13 said:
Every time there's a price drop, early adopters bitch and complain and demand free stuff. This is the first time free stuff has actually been offered to the early adopters. That's awesome.

Of course, there are still people who are bitching about it, but some people bitch about everything, so whatever. If they released two 3DS bundles, a $170 one with no games and a $250 one with 10 NES and 10 GBA games, I'd buy the second bundle anyway. (And yes, I know the first one isn't a bundle, shut up, it's early.)

Seriously, 20 games (good ones + early access too!), that's ridiculously generous. They did the right thing all around.

Tadale

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the next five games be:

Minish Cap
Metroid Zero Mission
Advance Wars
Aria of Sorrow
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

EDIT: Knowing that Aria of Sorrow and FFT have a slim chance, I'd take Pokemon Emerald and maybe the SMB3 rerelease, if they include all the e-reader content.

Wichu said:
Aww yeah. Bought my 3DS for £175 at launch, so I was disappointed when I heard about the price drop. But I think the free games will make it worthwhile (added to the fact that the main reason I bought it early was to replace my broken DS Lite).
I can't find my GBA cartridge of Yoshi's Island, so a 3DS port will help scratch that itch. I haven't played the original Super Mario Bros. yet (I'm too young; my first console was a N64), so that will be new to me (as well as the other NES games).
GBA wishlist:
Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland
Golden Sun (either one)
Zelda LTTP (already have TMC)
Drill Dozer
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars
Mother 3
:(
Pokémon would be nice, but I already own Sapphire/LeafGreen/Emerald. Pokémon Pinball/Mystery Dungeon, on the other hand... My brother has Pinball, and it's actually pretty fun (he's ridiculously good at it; his on-going score is about 30 billion), and I want another go at MD (didn't get into it).

Hah! I've had a game going for a few years. I've got around 60 billion points and 400 pokemon caught on the one table along with 8 lives (I'm aiming to max out the score some day)

I should really get back to that...

Somnid

This really makes me wonder how they will handle NES VC. Since I'm an early adopter this isn't an issue yet but it's going to be pretty gross if they don't have some sort of cross-license system. Hopefully that's the reason they aren't out yet.

As someone who didn't pay for his 3DS and recieved it as a gift... this news RULES.

Seriously, these 20 games on my 3DS basically means I'll always have something to play on this thing. Most of these games are great or classics.

Balb

I'm extremely grateful that they're not only giving away 20 games, but 20 top tier games (well, for the most part).

My only issue is that with Nintendo's slow download service and a lack of a queue, it'll take forever to download these things.

GameE

I get that the GBA game thing is a one time only thing for those games but will Nintendo abandon GBA VC completely once this ends? Or just those games?

ultron87

Bulzeeb said:
Metroid and Yoshi makes me want to buy a 3DS right now :S

I know. I almost feel like the "no plans to release these games to non-early adopters" thing is there to just snare a few more people into paying 250 for it.

Damn you Nintendo! *shakes fist*

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wrestlemania said:
That's already one of the confirmed games.

You're thinking of Super Mario Advance 3, which is actually Yoshi's Island.

Edit: Beaten.

Somnid

GameE said:
I get that the GBA game thing is a one time only thing for those games but will Nintendo abandon GBA VC completely once this ends? Or just those games?

While I wouldn't put it past them, I think it's too much of a money stream to not pursue. My guess is that they'll be available to the public way later.

Fernando Rocker said:

2. Register the system that same day and access the eShop and do everything to get the free 20 games.
  3. Return to the store after the price drop with the receipt to get back the price difference.

Instant win!
Even better than the Wal*Mart $198 sale

Considering I paid only $200 for my 3DS, this is a freakin' fantastic deal.

Considering that Link's awakening sold for $6, GBA games must be worth at least $8 or $10, making the GBA titles alone worth almost $100.

AleeN634

Having not played GBA games this program makes me happy. I'm surprised by how deep the cut was though (I was expecting a 50$ cut if anything).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Roto13 said:

This is the third time I can think of that free stuff has been offered to early adopters; the $100 iTunes card from the OG iPhone and the multiple free games for PSP GO early adopters.

confused

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
This is the third time I can think of that free stuff has been offered to early adopters; the $100 iTunes card from the OG iPhone and the multiple free games for PSP GO early adopters.

SEGA once sent me a controller and 2 games for dropping the SEGA Saturn price from 1149 to 699 guilders within 2 months of launch.

Fernando Rocker said:

Would outlets actually do that though?

Roto13

Stumpokapow said:
Those PSP games weren't the result of a price cut, though, were they? They were just free for early adopters like Excitebike on 3DS, right? (And I have no idea about the iTunes card. :p)

EDIT: Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

ultron87 said:
I know. I almost feel like the "no plans to release these games to non-early adopters" thing is there to just snare a few more people into paying 250 for it.

Damn you Nintendo! *shakes fist*

That's exactly what they're doing. They wouldn't write a GBA emulator for the 3DS just for this promotion, they would rather just simply give away GB/GBC VC games or DSi Ware titles. They obviously didn't plan on announcing either service any time soon (which is why they're giving us beta versions of these emulated games)

GameE said:

There is a 95% that they will be releasing GBA games on the VC proper in the future. They obviously want to keep that a secret (poorly) for now in order to not completely kill the sales of the 3DS from now until August 12th (and make early adopters feel good about their purchase).

Fast forward to E3 2012 and I'm sure you'll see an announcement for GBA games hitting the VC.

mclem

Stumpokapow said:

The six-week price drop for the original Xbox in Europe was compensated by two games and a controller.

Balb

GameE said:

They wouldn't develop/pay for a GBA emulator just so they could give away a few games during a one-time promotion. There will definitely be a GBA VC.

So is there any guarantee that these games will be transferrable to a replacement system if yours dies? Transferrable to a new hardware revision if you trade up?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm disappointed over the pricedrop, but I ended up getting ~$30 back on my 3DS purchase after a package discount they had at Walmart.com after I bought it. These are pretty awesome games, so I won't complain toooooo much.

I hope at some point we can get the bit.Generations games on the GBA emulator.

Fernando Rocker said:

Instant win!
Stores must know people will take advantage of this.

Even still, is there any particular store this will work best on?

Roto13

Father_Brain said:
Uh... what?
Some people are (most likely incorrectly) assuming that all of the 3D Classic demos they showed at E3 2010 are going to eventually be released as full 3D Classics on the eShop.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Stumpokapow said:

Early Saturn buyers got Virtua Fighter Remix free as well.

Beer Monkey said:
So is there any guarantee that these games will be transferrable to a replacement system if yours dies? Transferrable to a new hardware revision if you trade up?

If your system dies outright Nintendo will transfer them to a new system when you send it in for repair.

There is an option on the system now to transfer to a new system, but it has yet to be activated; I assume it will be available in a future firmware update.

Top Bottom