• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

Docpan

This deal is BULL.SHIT.

10 free NES games? I'm sorry, but, who gives a flying fuck about those? Nostalgia aside, NES games are nothing more than five minute or less diversions that mean nothing to someone who spent $250 on the fucking hardware expecting it to be a worthwhile investment later on. Ice Climbers????? Give me a fucking break. Yeah, that sounds like a fair compromise! How about giving me my money back instead?

They need to give us the real shit for this. I'm talking unreleased games like Mother 3. And they need to lock it off forever to people who aren't Embassadors, not wait 3 months and make it available to everyone. Give us something of goddamn value, dude.

Is Gamestop still giving 150 in trade in credit for 3ds?

Truth101

Banned
Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

10 free NES games? I'm sorry, but, who gives a flying fuck about those? Nostalgia aside, NES games are nothing more than five minute or less diversions that mean nothing to someone who spent $250 on the fucking hardware expecting it to be a worthwhile investment later on. Ice Climbers????? Give me a fucking break. Yeah, that sounds like a fair compromise! How about giving me my money back instead?

They need to give us the real shit for this. I'm talking unreleased games like Mother 3. And they need to lock it off forever to people who aren't Embassadors, not wait 3 months and make it available to everyone. Give us something of goddamn value, dude.

How about... Why buy the 3DS if you are going to bitch and whine when it gets a price-drop.

10 NES + 10 GBA games for FREE

andymcc

Banned
Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

you wouldn't merely knock over the magazine rack, you would lift it over your head and break it in two.

Can someone verify whether I need to register my 3DS on the Nintendo website, or is logging into the store before August 11 enough to qualify for the games?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nice gesture. While I would love to get this free too it's nice of them to offer the free content to people who bought the 3DS Pre-pricedrop :)

Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

Think about the games as iOS games. 20 games varying in depth would likely be worth about $35 (I think that's pretty conservative considering the GBA games). The price is being lowered by $80. That means you spent 45 as an early adopter. Not that crazy.

Truth101

Banned
FairXchange said:
Can someone verify whether I need to register my 3DS on the Nintendo website, or is logging into the store before August 11 enough to qualify for the games?

It's logging into the e-shop.

Ulairi

Banned
Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

Cool it buddy. The magazine rack will still be here when you calm down. You bought the 3DS (if you bought one) based on the $250 value and that making sense to you. The fact you're getting 20 free games to make up the price drop has nothing to do with why YOU bought it. You can rage all you want but you had no problem with the $250 price drop when you paid for the thing (if you did), last month, or last week. You can rage all you want or go trade it in and take $100 loss (plus the loss on any games you purchased) or you can be happy with a product you seemed to be happy with not that long ago and enjoy the 20 free games.

Jackano

I don't think The Minish Cap will be in there.
If one day, the GBA virtual console service is up, Nintendo will better not give all its best sellers now.
I suspect the 10 unknown titles to be third party titles, and for the already know titles, there are games that are already available in some superior versions on the system.

Super Mario Bros is overselled, The Legend of Zelda and Yoshi Island will come in 3D Classic version, Ice Climber and Donkey Jr, like Excite Bike, no one cares, Metroid Fusion is for you Americans, Mario Kart will be/is outdated by the 3DS and DS games, Wario Ware and Mario vs Donkey Kong are available on DS or DSiware in superior versions... There is something for almost each of this games that lower their value, I think this is why they have been choosen here.
The Minish Cap will be a powerfull seller for the virtual console, just like Link's Awakening have been earlier this year, so it's out of the free batch.

I was a bit mad when I heard the news about the price drop but now I'm a bit sad.

I personally think the 3DS is a premium product, and $250, though clearly marked up, was an agreeable price to me.

Docpan

I'd be happier with a big "Fuck You" press release from Nintendo than an offering of table scraps and bird feed like Balloon Fight and Ice Climbers. This is another slap in the face to the Nintendo loyal.

At least 10 SNES games would have had some gaming value to someone living in 2011. Get real.

Jackano said:
I don't think The Minish Cap will be in there.
If one day, the GBA virtual console service is up, Nintendo will better not give all its best sellers now.
I suspect the 10 unknown titles to be third party titles, and for the already know titles, there are games that are already available in some superior versions on the system.

That seems unlikely. I don't think nintendo wants to pay royalties for giving away 800k copies of other people's games. I don't think you'll see very many third party games in there.

Truth101

Banned
Docpan said:
I'd be happier with a big "Fuck You" press release from Nintendo than an offering of table scraps and bird feed like Balloon Fight and Ice Climbers. This is another slap in the face to the Nintendo loyal.

At least 10 SNES games would have had some gaming value o someone living in 2011. Get real.

Haha, continue to ignore the fact that there will be 10 GBA games. Also you keep mentioning Ice Climbers and Balloon Fighter but ignoring the other released games.

You are the one who justified your purchase of the 3DS at $250. Get real, buddy.

ryan-ts

Docpan said:

At least 10 SNES games would have had some gaming value to someone living in 2011. Get real.
Are you going to be okay?

Korosenai

I wonder what the estimated price on all of these games are? It has to be at least $60 before i'll start feeling better about this situation.

God, I'm so glad I'm not entitled to this stuff. Buying a 3DS early I knew it wasn't going to stay at $250 for long and I was fine with it. I was a little P.O.'d this morning when I saw it was already getting a drop since I bought mine last month but then I kept reading and saw it's 20 free games we're getting because of that. I could count on one hand how many companies reimburse you like that. Off the top of my head we've got Apple with the first iPhone, Sony with the hacks, and now this. Sure, NES games aren't the best value but you know what, I'll take 10 NES + 10 GBA over nothing which is what they could have done. Don't worry about what we're not getting, just be glad you get 20 free games for no other reason that Nintendo realized they priced the system to high.

Docpan said:
And they need to lock it off forever to people who aren't Embassadors, not wait 3 months and make it available to everyone. Give us something of goddamn value, dude.

That idea is bullshit. Why does locking it out for others who are still going to have to BUY the games make you happier? That's completely ridiculous. Besides, the GBA games may not ever show up for the general public. Does that make you happier now?

Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

Someone didn't read the opening post properly.

tengiants

I've bought every Nintendo system at launch since the SNES and I haven't felt this way about early adopting a Nintendo product since Virtual Boy. Obviously this isn't as bad but I personally wish I would have waited this time around as that's a really big price drop. At this point there isn't anything exclusive on the 3ds worth playing in my opinion, and as a Nintendo fan I already have already ended up with multiple copies of any of those games they are giving out that I care to play.

I guess I'm finally getting burned out on all the rereleases. It's good for the new gamers out there that didn't grow up with all this but I'd rather have waited and saved $80 for sure.

Tadale

Docpan said:
This deal is BULL.SHIT.

Anger problems?

Leonsito

I don't get why people thinks they should be compensated when something they bought gets a price drop, everything drops, and it doesn't matter when and how much, if you paid for it it's because you thought it was worth that much in that exact moment.

But props to Nintendo for gifting 20 games, the GBA ones are a good selection so far.

Ulairi

Banned
Docpan said:

How is it a big fuck you? They are giving you free stuff on a product that you seemed to have no problem buying back in March. You are just being daft.

Somnid

NubInaTub said:
I wonder what the estimated price on all of these games are? It has to be at least $60 before i'll start feeling better about this situation.

NES games go for $5 on VC, GBA would obvious be more so in terms of late-comers this is $100+ package.

Docpan

VGChampion said:
That idea is bullshit. Why does locking it out for others who are still going to have to BUY the games make you happier? That's completely ridiculous.
Because I won't feel like a chump for getting it early. This substantial of a price drop only 4 months later? Don't you see how much horseshit this is for those who shelled for something that had no games purely on understanding it would pay off later? This isn't my Idea of getting rewarded for supporting the DS brand...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The 10 free GBA games that is currently appearing to be exclusive to early adopters totally makes up for the early price drop. That was instant forgiveness from me.

Also, FUCK YEAH YOSHI'S ISLAND AND METROID FUSION!!

Unless they royally screw something up, I expect the other 5 GBA games to be bitchin'. I hope at least two of them are Fire Emblem and Minish Cap.

mooooose

Roto13 said:
Some people are (most likely incorrectly) assuming that all of the 3D Classic demos they showed at E3 2010 are going to eventually be released as full 3D Classics on the eShop.
I'm pretty sure this was one of the confirmed ones.

Berordn

Ten NES games at $5 like the Wii VC would be $50 already. Assuming the GBA games if ever released would be around 8-9 usd I don't think you have to worry about value here.

edit: beaten with a stick

Docpan said:
Because I won't feel like a chump for getting it early. This substantial of a price drop only 4 months later? Don't you see how much horseshit this is for those who shelled for something that had no games purely on understanding it would pay off later? This isn't my Idea of getting rewarded for supporting the DS brand...

I bought the 3DS and didn't have a game besides the VC stuff until OoT. I'm fine with this. I bought the 3DS for games that aren't out yet, with OoT being the first one. If you were waiting for other games purely on the understanding it would pay off later you should have actually waited until the game you wanted came out.

Somnid

Docpan said:

You are the only one I've seen complain yet. Perhaps you are just out of touch.

Ultima_5

I already have a 3ds. What do I have to do to make sure I get these games? Just register it on club nintendo? Is that it?

Ulairi

Banned
Docpan said:

How did you get the idea that an electronics product would pay off later? Are you really this fucking stupid? You bought a product that you know will be cheaper in the future. You bought a product that apparently has no games to play on it, knowing that it will be cheaper in the future. You are an idiot. Please, please, finish high school and reevaluate your life.

Roto13

Docpan said:

Yes, as a loyal Nintendo customer, I feel so offended by the fact that I'll be getting 20 games for free.

Oh, wait, no I'm not. Because I live on Earth and not the Bizarro Planet for crazy people.

I hope Excitebike is one of the NES games just so your head explodes.

mooooose said:
I'm pretty sure this was one of the confirmed ones.
I'm like 99% certain it's not. :p They've confirmed Excitebike and Xevious (obviously, because they're out now) and Urban Champion. There might be one more I'm forgetting, but it's definitely not Yoshi's Island. That would be a huge project, considering these games are remakes and Yoshi's Island is a pretty big game.

Seems like amazon is wise on people trying to get both the games and the money. 3DS on amazon.com are only pre-orders until august 12, 2011; in other words, if you order from amazon now, there's no way you'll get in on the ambassador program. Retail seems like the only choice in order to try and get a 30 day money back guarantee.

Docpan

VGChampion said:
I bought the 3DS and didn't have a game besides the VC stuff until OoT. I'm fine with this. I bought the 3DS for games that aren't out yet, with OoT being the first one. If you were waiting for other games purely on the understanding it would pay off later you should have actually waited until the game you wanted came out.
I planned to do that with Wii and got fucked for almost a year and a half trying to track one down. So when 3ds rolled around, I thought I would be smart and preorder to avoid the goddamn craziness that purchasing a Wii was. How was I to know it would bomb hard as fuck?

tengiants

Somnid said:
You are the only one I've seen complain yet. Perhaps you are just out of touch.

I'm not quite as sensational but I do agree with docpan. Like I said in my previous post, I already own multiple copies of the games that they are giving out. At least the ones I care to play.

what the hell is going on around here?

if you paid $250 dollars for the 3DS and there were no games you wanted to play then you're a fucking moron simple as that. You should have waited until the games that interested you were released.

Struct09

Bought one at launch, and I'm fine with this. I paid the full $250 knowing it would eventually drop. If anything I'm happy that it's dropping to a more mass market price, it only means good thing for the systems' future.

And I'll take 20 free games, which seem to be a great selection :D

Somnid said:
NES games go for $5 on VC, GBA would obvious be more so in terms of late-comers this is $100+ package.

That's assuming you planned on getting those games in the first place. Even if it seems like a good value, if you didn't actually want those games, it's kinda worthless.

It's not like Apple giving out an $100 rebate to early adopters.

But it's an easy and effective way to make consumers feel like they weren't burned that badly. Because right now, as a 3DS launch day buyer, I'm feeling like I need to reconsider getting the Wii U at launch. Unless the price is right and there is actual software to play, that is.

Both gba F-Zeros might be included, at least one will. These games were alright

I wouldn't be surprised if they had the nes classics for gba games as part of the free gba games, haha would be hilarious.

GeekyDad

DonMigs85 said:
So they'll NEVER release these GBA games to others at some point? Sounds absurd.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they'll likely release them to late adopters for a price, basically whatever the going rate is for their respective VC.

Linkzg said:
That's assuming you planned on getting those games in the first place. Even if it seems like a good value, if you didn't actually want those games, it's kinda worthless.

But it's an easy and effective way to make consumers feel like they weren't burned that badly. Because right now, as a 3DS launch day buyer, I'm feeling like I need to reconsider getting the Wii U at launch. Unless the price is right and there is actual software to play, that is.

This is exactly it, why would anyone buy a launch console if the games are not interesting to them? wait until the games you want to play come out. I don't understand this idea of buying a console because games are coming later and then being pissed when there are no games to play right now.

Bizzaro World.

Roto13

Struct09 said:
Bought one at launch, and I'm fine with this. I paid the full $250 knowing it would eventually drop. If anything I'm happy that it's dropping to a more mass market price, it only means good thing for the systems' future.

And I'll take 20 free games, which seem to be a great selection :D

Lower price means more Streetpasses! Woo! :p

Ulairi

Banned
Docpan said:
I planned to do that with Wii and got fucked for almost a year and a half trying to track one down. So when 3ds rolled around, I thought I would be smart and preorder to avoid the goddamn craziness that purchasing a Wii was. How was I to know it would bomb hard as fuck?

So, it's now Nintendo's fault that you're an idiot? How does that work. If you didn't want the product based on the games released and bought it anyway then you are to blame. YOUR FAULT. Not Nintendo's. Docpan's fault.

Boogiepop

Yesssss. Mario Vs DK, one of the handful of awesome games I never got around to getting for the GBA, and I'll be getting it for free. Now if we can just by some miracle get Advance Wars 2 in there...

kodt

Banned
Ultima_5 said:
I already have a 3ds. What do I have to do to make sure I get these games? Just register it on club nintendo? Is that it?

Just log in to the eShop anytime before August 11th

tengiants

Linkzg said:

Exactly. You couldn't find a wii for months after launch. Call me a moron all you want but with the 3ds, I was hoping for the same.

I'd be happy if it was something new. But they are punishing early adopters by only giving out rereleases. I know this is going to affect their club nintendo surveys that's for sure!!!

Morokh

Nice move for early adopters :eek: (like me :D)

I still own some of the GBA titles but for others like Metroid it will be just fine being able to try one :p

but waiting 'till december for Mariokart 3DS will be a big pain :'(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ulairi said:
How is it a big fuck you? They are giving you free stuff on a product that you seemed to have no problem buying back in March. You are just being daft.
People love to whine about stupid shit.

Top Bottom